Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

DangerDongs posted:

I had a guy today tell me my commander deck had too many tutors, and that I play too slow. I played a Momir Vig (who isn't my commander), because Rashmi is, so ,yeah, I was tutoring a lot . He was huffing and puffing the entire time as soon as he got behind from a cyclonic rift. The funny thing is, was last week we sat through his Narset deck going extra turns in a row.

I just scooped my cards and said I was done. I am not going to sit there for an other 30 minutes while my every move is scrutinized, and that was when he started yelling that I was a little bitch repeatedly.
Before this commander game I beat him on a mull to 5 playing Grixis Midrange while he was on R/B for the standard showdown, so I don't know if the the fumes were just accumulating until this moment, but I'm done with commander. Between the vintage fast mana and the salt I just don't give a poo poo anymore.

Some day you'll find someone else to play magic with. That guy can get stuffed forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

DangerDongs posted:

I had a guy today tell me my commander deck had too many tutors, and that I play too slow. I played a Momir Vig (who isn't my commander), because Rashmi is, so ,yeah, I was tutoring a lot . He was huffing and puffing the entire time as soon as he got behind from a cyclonic rift. The funny thing is, was last week we sat through his Narset deck going extra turns in a row.

I just scooped my cards and said I was done. I am not going to sit there for an other 30 minutes while my every move is scrutinized, and that was when he started yelling that I was a little bitch repeatedly.
Before this commander game I beat him on a mull to 5 playing Grixis Midrange while he was on R/B for the standard showdown, so I don't know if the the fumes were just accumulating until this moment, but I'm done with commander. Between the vintage fast mana and the salt I just don't give a poo poo anymore.

I don't consider MTG to be a great social game, which you're signing up for if you're playing commander.

You'll always have people who just want to win every single game and don't take losses well. Being a spike is fair if you're grinding towards something, but is really dumb if you're playing casually with friends.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tezzeract posted:

I don't consider MTG to be a great social game, which you're signing up for if you're playing commander.

You'll always have people who just want to win every single game and don't take losses well. Being a spike is fair if you're grinding towards something, but is really dumb if you're playing casually with friends.

A good compromise I've found is to gently caress the game up for everyone in EDH. :D

Eta: Also I find competitive constructed to be a good social game, so maybe I'm weird(er than the admittedly weird baseline).

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Tubgoat posted:

A good compromise I've found is to gently caress the game up for everyone in EDH. :D

Can't believe they banned Sway of the Stars in the only format where it's relevant, rip

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

To be fair, they should just ban every UG(x) legend because there's been exactly 0 fun games involving a deck with those colors.

I agree, kill rug delver again

On day 2 of Nationals I had a pretty good draft deck (UR fliers with Sarkan's Unsealing to kill everything) but I dropped after winning one round to do Modern single elimination 8-mans on Jund. I then proceeded to lose round 1s to...

5 color Restore Balance (!)
Martyr Proc (where I got greedy on not ulting Last Hope immediately, it cost Cast out'd, and drew 7 lands in a row after, and none of the manlands)
Mill (!!!)

Before I was able to win one myself. Beat Bant Spirits, Amulet Titan (opp mulled to 4 on the play game 3 with only a bounceland, they play a Gemstone Cavern turn 3 and I Fulminator it. Dampening Sphere was also great here) and UW control in a amazing game 3. I keep a 6 on the play of Push, Dreadbore, Lili the Last Hope, Thoughtseize, and two fetches. Scry sees another Thoughtseize on top. I keep it, double lava axe myself turn 2 to take a Clique and D-Sphere. Play Lili on 3, and win with her ult after beating a Jace, 2 Colonnades, and a miracle Terminus. I got another Flooded Strand promo to top off a long weekend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I want to see that Mill list because I'm pretty sure Jund is a nigh-unwinnable matchup for Mill, barring extremely bad draws for Jund or something like the mythical multi-Archive Trap opener.

I've actually started seeing Mill lists online running singleton Academy Ruins and Crucible of Worlds (!) for Mesmeric Orb synergy (and Search for Azcanta & Collective Brutality, which are slightly less new tech) but haven't had a chance to try them myself.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 12, 2018

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Nexus of Fate turned out to be extremely good at making people forget that Scrapheap Scrounger and Goblin Chainwhirler dominate the standard format. Those "WotC hosed up by not preemptively banning Chainwhirler" articles and videos just don't bring in the clicks anymore, it seems.

A guy on Turbo Fog at GP Brussels is 12-0-1 (draw was in round 13) but we've gotten 5 straight feature matches of RB Chainwhirler lol.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This was a standard list, didn't see anything unusual besides maindeck ensnaring bridge.
I lost 0-2 as well. I never drew any 1 or 2 Mana removal spells, and only drew bobs that couldn't get through manic scribes. I got hit with a double mind funeral after a Glimpse and an early scribe was enough. Game 2 I kept a bad hand of just a basic forest, never drew a 2nd land before alot of work was done. They gained 33 life before I could get a clock. I was much saltier about the Balance deck because I got hit with a t2 Nahiri and couldn't do anything about it.

Sometimes you lose when you're favored. I mean, I have Kalitas & Anger of the Gods and still lost to Proc. It happens. Winning against Amulet was lucky and UW...I would say also a little unfavorable.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 12, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DangerDongs posted:

This has been my experience with EDH every single time I have played it and have watched it being played and yet people continually ask me why I don't play it. No sorry I do not want to play a game where guaranteed some idiot pissbaby throws a tantrum because I cast Terminate on his commander or activate Pestilence for 1 in response to his Overrun with a million saprolings and then decides it's his personal mission for the rest of the month to counter & kill everything I play regardless of value. There's games specifically designed for multiplayer social wheeling & dealing & backstabbing that are actually fun.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DangerDongs posted:

I'm done with commander. Between the vintage fast mana and the salt I just don't give a poo poo anymore.

This is the most correct statement about commander. I hit that wall about 2 years ago.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You guys play with lovely people, then. I've played EDH in four stores in my area and have never had someone salt on me like that even when it became obvious someone at the table was running an OP deck. I don't know what kind of mentalities people you play with have, but we've pretty much embodied the 25% ideology around here.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlternateNu posted:

You guys play with lovely people, then. I've played EDH in four stores in my area and have never had someone salt on me like that even when it became obvious someone at the table was running an OP deck. I don't know what kind of mentalities people you play with have, but we've pretty much embodied the 25% ideology around here.
Everyone says that and then without fail when I hang around and watch their game the moment any removal/counter/combat happens someone throws a tantrum that would serve as a good replacement for an air raid siren.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

araeris posted:

A guy on Turbo Fog at GP Brussels is 12-0-1 (draw was in round 13) but we've gotten 5 straight feature matches of RB Chainwhirler lol.

It was on stream a bunch yesterday and they if you think KCI is a bad viewing experience then this is on a whole level above that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them do something about it if it performs well over the next few weeks of standard GPs especially if it looks like it is going to be a choice of a lot of Worlds players. If you thought the meta of 80% Energy decks last year was bad...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why is it called turbo fog ?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It plays 8 fogs and draws cards.

Why is Affinity called Affinity?

I'm still disappointed we never saw anyone enter their deck as "Melira-less Pod-less Melira Pod"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kurtofan posted:

Why is it called turbo fog ?

Because the core conceit of playing effects that cancel combat damage (like the card Fog) is retained from a previous archetype, which I believe was fast enough that the "Turbo" part was justified.

Affinity likewise retained the name from a deck that used the affinity (for artifacts) rule a lot. Indeed with Mirrodin being the first "modern" set the deck as we know it in modern was able to evolve directly from the standard deck, even though ultimately the Affinity cards (except Thoughcast sometimes) were superseded by Metalcraft ones and other "artifacts matter" cards like Master of Etherium.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yawgmoth posted:

Everyone says that and then without fail when I hang around and watch their game the moment any removal/counter/combat happens someone throws a tantrum that would serve as a good replacement for an air raid siren.

In my experience, if someone is going to flip out over a game of EDH, they get even saltier when playing a game that actually has stakes like regular constructed.

My recommendation? Quit the game or play somewhere else. :shrug:

There is one situation where I'll rant on someone and target them mercilessly for the rest of the game; if they use dice to decide their targets because they don't want to "play politics." gently caress those people. Man up, shitbird, and own your decisions!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I just had someone call my bluff on the actual PT turbofog (my other brew runs actual wincons) and I had to beat him to death with Karn Konstructs.

So there are some people out there who aren't Adolph Quitlers.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlternateNu posted:

In my experience, if someone is going to flip out over a game of EDH, they get even saltier when playing a game that actually has stakes like regular constructed.

My recommendation? Quit the game or play somewhere else. :shrug:

There is one situation where I'll rant on someone and target them mercilessly for the rest of the game; if they use dice to decide their targets because they don't want to "play politics." gently caress those people. Man up, shitbird, and own your decisions!
In my experience, lots of people have their expectations shifted when going from 1v1 to multiplayer. In 1v1 the logic is "of course my opponent is attacking me; there's one path to victory and that's through me". But in multiplayer, the thought process goes "there are many people who could be a threat so attacking me when there are others means you hate me for some non-magic reason! I shall now hate you for this perceived slight!" These are the same shitbirds that "don't want to play politics" in a competitive game about attacking and killing everyone else.

I'm not gonna quit or play somewhere else just because a few people have brain worms over a barely-functional format that only serves to drive the value of my trade binder up. What's next, I should sell my truck because there's bad drivers out there?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

araeris posted:

Seemed like it was featured a lot yesterday. It could be some sort of coverage decision? That being said the deck is fun to watch “go off” once and then every subsequent time it’s just someone churning through their deck while the only actions their opponent takes is cutting their deck after Nexus of Fate is shuffled in or moving permanents to the exile pile. When the deck loses the matches are not very interesting to watch as well. Add in the fact that it seemed like each player was using proxies created by the judges of the card which prompted a lot of trolling / fake confusion in the chat - and would generate legit confusion with new players - you get a less than positive viewing experience overall.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

To be fair, I have had lots of great commander games. There is one group of younger guys at my store who just laugh at every situation, but my deck is a tier too good for the table.

The guy who freaked out at me is our local "pro tour hero," so I don't know if princess can handle loosing multiple games in a row.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Seemed like it was featured a lot yesterday. It could be some sort of coverage decision? That being said the deck is fun to watch “go off” once and then every subsequent time it’s just someone churning through their deck while the only actions their opponent takes is cutting their deck after Nexus of Fate is shuffled in or moving permanents to the exile pile. When the deck loses the matches are not very interesting to watch as well. Add in the fact that it seemed like each player was using proxies created by the judges of the card which prompted a lot of trolling / fake confusion in the chat - and would generate legit confusion with new players - you get a less than positive viewing experience overall.

It is 100% being avoided on stream. Between how long it can take a 'done' game to finish and the fact it's involving a Standard legal card you just can't get. I don't think Wizards wants to show too many games involving Turbo Fog until they can just hit Nexus with the next ban/restricted announcement. Around RtRtR's launch.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Turbo Fog in top 8, should grab a box of M19 and sell the nexus when it hits $100

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man the second 100$ blue standard card they’re going to ban out looks pretty crappy next to Jace

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mr. Locke posted:

It is 100% being avoided on stream. Between how long it can take a 'done' game to finish and the fact it's involving a Standard legal card you just can't get. I don't think Wizards wants to show too many games involving Turbo Fog until they can just hit Nexus with the next ban/restricted announcement. Around RtRtR's launch.

If by “can’t get” you mean I can’t go buy 400 booster packs in hopes of opening four copies then yeah. There are hundreds of copies for sale on TCG player and MCM though.

Looking at MCM it is strange that there are a bunch there on sale for around $9 while they are closer to $25 on TCG player. I guess if you don’t mind non English copies that is the way to go.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Tainen posted:

It was on stream a bunch yesterday and they if you think KCI is a bad viewing experience then this is on a whole level above that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them do something about it if it performs well over the next few weeks of standard GPs especially if it looks like it is going to be a choice of a lot of Worlds players. If you thought the meta of 80% Energy decks last year was bad...

I believe you are 100% correct, but is not a great look for them here.

Even if it is a PT winner vs. a Hall of Famer, the stream monsters cannot stand a control mirror.

Gotta wonder what the internal conversation about ban vs. no ban on Nexus of Fate looks like. It's gotta be great for sales, and surely they have the next BaB promo already in printing, but Azcanta and Teferi aren't going anywhere, so it must be a political nightmare.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tainen posted:

If by “can’t get” you mean I can’t go buy 400 booster packs in hopes of opening four copies then yeah. There are hundreds of copies for sale on TCG player and MCM though.

Looking at MCM it is strange that there are a bunch there on sale for around $9 while they are closer to $25 on TCG player. I guess if you don’t mind non English copies that is the way to go.

That's basically what I mean. You can't just walk into your LGS and ask for a pack of any sealed or official product and get a copy. You can only get it in singleton from a reseller which, I mean, is how most people trying to build a T1 deck is going to get their cards anyways but it's still a bad look for WotC. There's also not going to be any more until WotC can figure out a supplimentary product they can slip them into (I would not be surprised if Nexus of Fate comes in this year's holiday giftbox or something.) I'm not sure how many there are in the wild, but if pros are still running decks with proxies there has to be enough of a scarcity problem that people who want them can't get them in a timely enough manner to have them for the big events.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Tainen posted:

MagicCardMarket doesn’t ship to US addresses though, so for most people in this thread, their prices aren’t relevant.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mr. Locke posted:

That's basically what I mean. You can't just walk into your LGS and ask for a pack of any sealed or official product and get a copy. You can only get it in singleton from a reseller which, I mean, is how most people trying to build a T1 deck is going to get their cards anyways but it's still a bad look for WotC. There's also not going to be any more until WotC can figure out a supplimentary product they can slip them into (I would not be surprised if Nexus of Fate comes in this year's holiday giftbox or something.) I'm not sure how many there are in the wild, but if pros are still running decks with proxies there has to be enough of a scarcity problem that people who want them can't get them in a timely enough manner to have them for the big events.

They are not running proxies because they can’t find copies. They are running proxies because the card is only in foil and they don’t want to get a judge call for having a marked card if it is warped in any way. They have to present all their copies to the head judge before the event who then issued them the proxies.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
And also present the copy to the opponent when they reveal the proxy, and present all copies during a deck check.

Not to say availability won't be a problem, but anyone playing Nexus at the moment has their copies.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tainen posted:

They are not running proxies because they can’t find copies. They are running proxies because the card is only in foil and they don’t want to get a judge call for having a marked card if it is warped in any way. They have to present all their copies to the head judge before the event who then issued them the proxies.

Huh, I'd heard it presented as a supply problem, but if that's the case, my bad then.

I mean, WotC is still gonna have to address the rest of the issues of Nexus, but maybe it'll get past Ban/Restricted if people will be able to get them. I'd sell 'em soon tho because they're still gonna figure somewhere to squeeze them out for the rest of the problems the card's providing by it's existence.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I will never understand why people try to play multiplayer Magic. The game just does not support that kind of gameplay at all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I had fun times playing EDH but I don't miss it as a whole. I do miss my Captain Sisay deck though, if only because it was the kind of deck I would have wanted to make when I first got into the game (big GW creatures) except it was actually decent.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

I will never understand why people try to play multiplayer Magic. The game just does not support that kind of gameplay at all.

Like most games, it's only as good as the players. Get a chill group who are all building decks around the same level and you can have a good time. Especially if they're into the social side of it and you get a table where everyone's wheeling and dealing and alliances are shifting and nobody's taking it personally or making it personal.

I mean, it all breaks down he moment some guy brings a Zur deck to come fight against a table of a barely-modified Edgar Markov precon, Reyhan/Ikra +1/+1 counters, and Sphinx Tribal lead by Azur. Or some asshat starts whining every game about how they're getting ganged up when they deploy their entire hand by turn 4 into a board wipe the other two players are invested in seeing go off because of course they are you dumped your entire hand by turn 4. But that's why you make a group THEN play commander and not just sleeve up your EDH deck and try to jump in at a random table.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If wizards bans Nexus it's only because the deck is jacking up tournament timing. They want and need the BaB cards to be playable otherwise they wouldn't have an impact on people's buying habits. FS&SS was clearly targeted at commander, and at 7 Mana and infinite casts off one copy, it's possible Nexus was too, but they wouldn't have made them standard legal if they didn't want the possibility of them being played in standard (unless it was all to get FS&SS in brawl).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Koirhor posted:

Turbo Fog in top 8, should grab a box of M19 and sell the nexus when it hits $100

Huh I didn't think Nexes would end up being an actual card. The worry was that it was very close, which is bad enough in a game as complex and unpredictable as magic (on the decks/meta level). But, no, here's a top 8 finish.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Turbofog won't survive rotation - it loses one of the titular fogs and the manabase for one of it's primary colors. It might come back in the next set, though.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Turbofog won't survive rotation - it loses one of the titular fogs and the manabase for one of it's primary colors. It might come back in the next set, though.

Turbofog is dead but Nexus might find another home- Nicol Bolas and Teferti are both natural partners for the card and are probably going to be big players in whatever the next format is. If there's a big control deck that features either of the two, there's a non-zero chance Nexus becomes part of that deck's wincon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hah, oath of teferi + gift of paradise + teferi = whole lot of end step mana (yes this is the first time I'm watching the deck, haven't be many occasions to do so besides the pt)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Hah, oath of teferi + gift of paradise + teferi = whole lot of end step mana (yes this is the first time I'm watching the deck, haven't be many occasions to do so besides the pt)

That game was hilarious