Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hremsfeld posted:

The fact that something like this

was pretty much entirely ignored in favor of talking about college football is a hell of an example about why college football isn't going anywhere or getting reformed anytime soon.

Edit: VVVVV What there is to talk about is stuff like how it's going to affect Pvt. Schmuckatelli wanting to buy another Mustang because the first one ran out of gas, and the dozens of lenders nearby knowing that now they can be safer in offering predatory rates because no one's going to check up on them.
A Republican congress isn't going to do poo poo to stop it. Daydreaming about destroying college football is more realistic in the short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1028679393013653504?s=19

Real: Look forward to the counter protest being way more people.

Levity: Don't know if the penalty for dual-weilding is worth it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
KSA's response to blowing up the bus full of kids is somewhere between "they did it first" with regard to a Houthi ballistic missile attack that killed one civilian and "it was a real target"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Best Friends posted:

I have no idea why track scholarships are still a thing cause no one watches track but it is legit a great driver for academically and athletically talented people from often minority backgrounds to pay for college.

Ideally these talented people can get college paid for some other way, but we as a society are going to cancel track scholarships long before we set up another system where poor people get college paid for.

It's largely a Title IX counterbalance to college football teams. When I was on our men's track team, we weren't scholarshipped (we got all of the other stuff like free equipment and personal trainers and stuff), but the women's team was.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

KSA's response to blowing up the bus full of kids is somewhere between "they did it first" with regard to a Houthi ballistic missile attack that killed one civilian and "it was a real target"

Good to see Saudi taking a lesson from the Israelis

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

mlmp08 posted:

More humane than their current policy of starving the kids to death.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PT waivers incoming

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

CommieGIR posted:

PT waivers incoming

Headline in 2021: Marine's missed field goal blows up wedding. Pentagon: "We didn't think this was possible".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Terrifying Effigies posted:

More humane than their current policy of starving the kids to death.

They knew the risks when they signed up to go to school in a war zone.
:rolleye:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paTW3wOyIYw

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Waroduce posted:

Football isn't forever and the free ride an athlete gets can give the athlete a chance at a productive life. Athletic scholarships open doors for many low income kids and give many people an opportunity to experience college who never could. There are def things that need to be fixed about the system but I wholeheartedly believe it's a net positive for society and the individual athlete.

Also college football is the reason most of your extra curriculars and women's sports exist.

E: WRS do not have an average career of six years idk where your getting your numbers.

Sports Illustrated and statista.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

mlmp08 posted:

I didn’t attend my university for sports reasons, but the beauty of the campus, reputation for having cool cultural events, ethnic food, live music, parties, etc all definitely played a part. One could argue that’s stupid, but meh?

College athletics could use reform but saying they’re bad outright is off to me. Also I get supremely annoyed by STEM nerds who swear up and down that literally nothing but STEM and business school is worth a poo poo. These same nerds seem to get mad at sports for some reason, just can’t put my finger on it...

Aren't the people who swear by STEM usually people who did something else and then failed? Because stem people tend to know better, lol

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

OH BOY LETS ALL WAVE OUR DICKS AROUND SOME MORE

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Imagine going into the hellacious debt of college and picking your school because they have a good football team

You...you don't think that's a thing that happens?

Practically everyone in the midwest and south pick their school based on who they've rooted for since age 3 (if they get accepted).

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I've got to come clean: when I was looking at colleges to attend, I only ever considered major University of [State] type places because I wanted to be able to go to Saturday morning football games, so I guess I'm partially responsible for college football

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

I've got to come clean: when I was looking at colleges to attend, I only ever considered major University of [State] type places because I wanted to be able to go to Saturday morning football games, so I guess I'm partially responsible for college football

:same: also because I couldn't imagine paying to go to a private school

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Private school actually rules HTH

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My thought process was: Good programs and I don't have to move? Sold.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Jokes on you guys, I went to a lovely state school that not only has no fame, our sports teams are Div III, AND I paid a crapload to finish grad school.

:smithicide:

Deathy McDeath posted:

Private school actually rules HTH

you went to an ivy that doesn't count

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Nice and hot piss posted:

There's online courses for that too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

The TBI Olympics. Featuring such events as the long distance vomit, the straight line run, and the administrative excuse rodeo.

EBB posted:

OH BOY LETS ALL WAVE OUR DICKS AROUND SOME MORE

Hey, it was only that one time on the bridge.

Also, gently caress college athletics being king poo poo on campuses. I worked on a wildly successful student-run annual concert that collapsed because athletics was tired of renting out the gym. They wanted home court advantage if the basketball teams made it to district regional sectionals and they had to host. On a weekend where all the hotels for a 20 mile radius were already booked months in advance and the town was full of drunks for the annual St. Pat's Celebration. Took us almost 10 years to rebuild it to the level it was indoors at an outdoor venue.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 12, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Practically everyone in the midwest and south pick their school based on who they've rooted for since age 3 (if they get accepted).

Look at this objectively false statement.

for example: IU and Purdue have a pretty strong rivalry, but only idiots and those who can't get in would go to IU over PU for flight school or engineering and likewise only an idiot or those who can't get in would go to PU over IU for music, business school, medicine, or having a pretty campus.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 12, 2018

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

so you're saying it....doesn't help?? :smith:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Let me tell you about the U of M/Michigan State rivalry. Because boy is it awesome to have hooting white trash tell me State sucks in the Kroger parking lot (have an alumni license plate frame) every fall.

Bitch what college did you go to? Oh? You didn’t? I am figuratively shocked. 🙄

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Let me tell you about the U of M/Michigan State rivalry. Because boy is it awesome to have hooting white trash tell me State sucks in the Kroger parking lot (have an alumni license plate frame) every fall.

hahaha yesss dude

country rear end white people be like, "oh yeah we've always been big Gators/Tide/Buckeyes etc etc fans - - no, none of us have ever gone to any college"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

peasantry love their nobles

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I mean, State does suck. Also gently caress IU, Ohio State, and Penn State. Another also, gently caress the Big Ten for chasing the BTN expanding regions money bringing in Maryland and Rutgers instead of Cincinnati.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Godholio posted:

Sports Illustrated and statista.

They're super loving wrong or youre using old numbers also I have opinions to share but I've been on the beach all weekend so :effort:

Six years gtfo. That would mean most guys are signing second contracts lmao.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

can confirm, plutocrat school rules hard

did put me up a few million positions on the list for :thermidor:, but i lust for death anyhow

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
my cousin paid like 130k to get her undergrad because she went to ~Quinnipiac~

she is currently a massage therapist for pregnant women and makes like 20k/yr

the ROI on that one is amazing

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mlmp08 posted:

Meh, I chalk some of that up to bravado and saving face. Everyone’s had that soldier in the army or coworker who would be in the NFL or on a full ride to Yale or whatever if not for [vague reason that’s not their fault]

Yeah I totally had a full ride but they hosed up my paperwork and I decided since I’m a patriot I’d just serve my country instead

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Look at this objectively false statement.

for example: IU and Purdue have a pretty strong rivalry, but only idiots and those who can't get in would go to IU over PU for flight school or engineering and likewise only an idiot or those who can't get in would go to PU over IU for music, business school, medicine, or having a pretty campus.

Counterpoint: the Big 12, arguably minus TCU or Baylor.

Waroduce posted:

They're super loving wrong or youre using old numbers also I have opinions to share but I've been on the beach all weekend so :effort:

Six years gtfo. That would mean most guys are signing second contracts lmao.

Six years was for guys who actually made teams in their rookie years. Overall it was 3.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Vasudus posted:

This is going to sound horribly elitist but I've never understood the value of a school like QU, which have low academic standards and are so expensive. There are always comparable state schools that will have much lower tuition. Are these schools consolation prizes for people who did poorly in high school? Is it a badge that, expensive school = good? Is there a loyal and successful alumni base for networking? I only remember some hockey jocks from high school going there.

Here are some colleges with average programs but amazing water parks
https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/tricked-college-campuses-water-parks-luxury-dorms/story?id=26164491

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Realtalk that movie is great

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

This is going to sound horribly elitist but I've never understood the value of a school like QU, which have low academic standards and are so expensive. There are always comparable state schools that will have much lower tuition.

It's part daycare for the next generation of overlords and part badge that expensive school = rich.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 12, 2018

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/1028724342644006912?s=09

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

still too many

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Sports

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, I don't earn jack but I also have zero debt so I guess it's okay.

• Locked thread