Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tressa w/ Wind Rune and both wind-boosting weapons was doing 30k+ damage for me at L70ish.

poo poo is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
H'aanit is worthless. I was in a battle vs five mobs, only one was weak against staffs. I summoned a staff damage x3 bear and it attacked the mobs that were not weak vs staffs. What's the point to any of her abilities? Did the devs make her so that we only need to score among seven characters who to use? She's such a waste of a character slot in every situation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

H'aanit is worthless. I was in a battle vs five mobs, only one was weak against staffs. I summoned a staff damage x3 bear and it attacked the mobs that were not weak vs staffs. What's the point to any of her abilities? Did the devs make her so that we only need to score among seven characters who to use? She's such a waste of a character slot in every situation.

The only thing she has is leghold trap so shes gently caress awful in her path and combat unique action but hey, leg hold trap is always great

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah. Your scholar/sorcerer will 9999 after a staff poke.

This works with the sorcerers elemental debuff, so it's a good setup for a BP break attack

Yeah, I know they key off Ele Att, I was asking if the weapons that say “increase fire/wind/etc” would also boost the Rune damage.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Wildtortilla posted:

She's very comparable to Olberic if you ignore her horrendous path action. Warrior gets AoE polearm while Hunters get AoE bow so that's thats not too big of a difference if you run them as Warmasters. She also gets leghold trap which is very strong while Olberic gets... his phys buff and incite? The majority of your base kit becomes (or already is) useless when you get advanced classes anyway.

I agree that the pets can gently caress right off. Had Linde do 6 pounces in a row in a duel on an enemy I knew had a weakness to sword that wasn't revealed. Olberic would've been done minutes faster.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I know they key off Ele Att, I was asking if the weapons that say “increase fire/wind/etc” would also boost the Rune damage.

They do and they stack AFAIK.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 12, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
right now the only monsters i've bothered collecting on her are some that have aoe heal abilities so she can at least pull out an emergency heal if I need her to

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is there a comprehensive monster list with locations/strength/ability laid out? It's kind of a crapshoot and the lack of an in-game bestiary means I have no memory of what I used before and if it was any good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I wish Ogen was my character instead of Alfyn.

Give me a prequel with

Ogen
Bluespear pirate guy
Butler
Drunk gambler hunter dad

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 12, 2018

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Seriously. She's real cool early on but holy crap the damage falloff on monsters is dire as hell. I'd use a max boosted monster against a broken boss, that was caught in the same dungeon, that does a damage type the boss is weak against, and only do like 800 damage when I'm able to hit 9999 damage with other characters.

I assume there are some incredibly powerful monsters to be had somewhere? But it seems like a pain in the rear end when it's not too hard to get big numbers on other damage dealers.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

All they needed was for capture rates to not turn poo poo for top tier monsters. It inexplicably drops off and becomes annoying for a limited resource attack. Olberic and Tressa doin 60k an attack but they want me to catch poo poo at 15% chance. Lame

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Also, for the top tier best H'aanit summon (Dreadwolf), it hits for like 7k about 5 times in a row on all enemies. Which is nice and all, but you can only summon it once.

The idea has great potential but it's the one path action that I think got really fumbled.

The only other path action I have a real problem with is Therion's. Because there is literally no way to get purple chests other than him. Everyone else's path action is somewhat able to be replicated.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I spent 20 minutes trying to catch a 10 star Revnant, only to find it has 2 summons and its attack just buffs a random party member for 2 turns.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Licarn posted:

I spent 20 minutes trying to catch a 10 star Revnant, only to find it has 2 summons and its attack just buffs a random party member for 2 turns.

Can't you already see what the summon does when you attempt Capture? You should have realized whether or not it was worth it when you first tried to Capture it.

Mordiceius posted:

Also, for the top tier best H'aanit summon (Dreadwolf), it hits for like 7k about 5 times in a row on all enemies. Which is nice and all, but you can only summon it once.

The idea has great potential but it's the one path action that I think got really fumbled.

The only other path action I have a real problem with is Therion's. Because there is literally no way to get purple chests other than him. Everyone else's path action is somewhat able to be replicated.

Eh, to be fair Therion isn't the only one with a unique mechanic; Olberic can Boost his Guards, Alfyn can Concoct, H'aanit can Capture, etc. His Path Action is actually Steal, and that has its counterpart in Tressa.

Primrose/Ophilia are the only ones without a unique adventuring mechanic. It's just that Therion's is the most immediately useful since the purple chests just taunt you otherwise.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 12, 2018

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
All I could see is its attack is called Impact Clock, I had to catch it to find out what that did. I guess it not having a weapon or elemental type could have been a clue that it doesn't do damage.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm really lazy and just got to the demo

Is there really only one save file?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's nine + Autosave in the main game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
H'aanit's capture mechanic should give infinite use of the captured monster unless it's a special enemy like Direwolf or the Caits. Or make the better captures also require mp/bp to use. IE: Chubby Cait and Dire Wolf would need max BP like a divine skill. Not that you should them with anything less than max BP regardless.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Capture is pretty useful for breaking in the early and mid game. I at least used it unlike Boost. Provoke stinks though.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Bombadilillo posted:

I wish Ogen was my character instead of Alfyn.

Give me a prequel with

Ogen
Bluespear pirate guy
Butler
Drunk gambler hunter dad

I also want backstories on the incredibly powerful older people tucked away in various cities, just chilling out and holding on to various weaponry.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

I also want backstories on the incredibly powerful older people tucked away in various cities, just chilling out and holding on to various weaponry.

Either ask them about it or scrutinize them until you deduce their pasts.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I feel super dumb, but (all 8 stories)I got the message that says I can fast travel to Hornburg, but...where is it on the map?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I feel super dumb, but (all 8 stories)I got the message that says I can fast travel to Hornburg, but...where is it on the map?

(Post-game) East of Everhold, in the southeastern area of the map.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mega64 posted:

(Post-game) East of Everhold, in the southeastern area of the map.

Oh my god I'm blind, I was looking for a town of some sort. Thanks!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Post game prep. How much battletested gear should I be collecting vs grinding levels?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm not planning on having more than one of each Battle-Tested, because gently caress 3% drops.

...they're not super necessary, right?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hand Row posted:

Capture is pretty useful for breaking in the early and mid game. I at least used it unlike Boost. Provoke stinks though.

If you're breaking the early/mid game it's easier to have Primrose allure the knight or cleric in Saintsbridge that cases the ice/light Sorcerer spell, or rob a city with Therion, unless you don't want to pay to fix reputation (or reload your save game when you fail).

Though even in the mid game without awesome gear stolen via Therion, a lot of the captures in the level 20ish areas were still very underwhelming compared to using job skills. The only real upside is capturing stuff that hits multiple times and using those for slightly faster guard breaking.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm not planning on having more than one of each Battle-Tested, because gently caress 3% drops.

...they're not super necessary, right?

Not really, but getting the one non-grind copy of each is good. Even if you want to setup your warmaster for maximum damage you're still going to be able to give several battle-tested weapons to other characters (because the battle tested axe and staff aren't the highest physical damage weapons of that type), while having strong options for secondary damage dealers still. The only weapon I might consider trying to get a copy of is the sword and even then, not at a 3% drop rate because gently caress that.

A magic-heavy party isn't going to need more than the one weapon (staff) for the sorcerer, a Runelord's going to be able to go with something else (a rune glaive, and/or element boosting weapons ideally due to chaser dmg), and the rest will be focused on healing/utility.
Similar for a physical team, you either have a Warmaster whose job it is to make things stop moving via 100k+ damage divine skill usage, with others being perfectly ok using the 2nd best weapons if that (weapon doesn't matter for merchant summons) since they'll be providing support. IE: Therion supporting a warmaster Olberic (or whomever) would want a viper dagger anyways since if he's going to deal damage when he's not debuffing, thief divine skill damage is affected by speed and the weapon hits hard enough for HP/SP Steal needs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not really, but getting the one non-grind copy of each is good. Even if you want to setup your warmaster for maximum damage you're still going to be able to give several battle-tested weapons to other characters (because the battle tested axe and staff aren't the highest physical damage weapons of that type), while having strong options for secondary damage dealers still. The only weapon I might consider trying to get a copy of is the sword and even then, not at a 3% drop rate because gently caress that

Even then, Harald's Sword is only behind it by 20 points.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just wanted to say this is probably one of my favorite games. I'm sad to see it end now that I've finished all the sidequests and final dungeon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Game definitely has some warts and I'm not sure how much replayability I'll get out of it, but it's been pretty solid.

Just have to do about 10-15 levels of grinding and figure out the jobs and passive skills for the final dungeon.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, the grinding is getting on my nerves a bit, I kinda wish they'd have made levels scale more. I've got 5 more Ch4s to hit and my main 3 are around 50, and Alfyn, Tressa, and H'aanit are still 29-30. And levels come pretty slowly at this point, even compared to the higher level characters. I've taken Ophilia on 2 or 3 Ch4s now and she only gained a few more levels than the A-Team did. I just finished Cyrus' story and I was gonna retire him and Olberic and work on the other characters, but it's such a huge blow to my killing power, and I'm looking at a ton of grinding before one of the level 30 characters can take their place. It might make more sense to just keep the A-Team together and just drag everyone else through their Ch4s on the back of being hugely overleveled. :(

I don't think I'm gonna have the heart for the endgame stuff. I just hit 50 hours played and I'm starting to get a little burnt out, definitely not going to grind everyone up to 60 for the last dungeon. Really fun game though, and worth the money for sure. I really didn't think I was going to take to another JRPG nearly this much, I haven't really played one since high school. I'm not sure if I want to sell it or just hold onto it and maybe pick it up again sometime down the line and go after the final bosses. I haven't even bothered with any of the secret jobs!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, the grinding is getting on my nerves a bit, I kinda wish they'd have made levels scale more. I've got 5 more Ch4s to hit and my main 3 are around 50, and Alfyn, Tressa, and H'aanit are still 29-30. And levels come pretty slowly at this point, even compared to the higher level characters. I've taken Ophilia on 2 or 3 Ch4s now and she only gained a few more levels than the A-Team did. I just finished Cyrus' story and I was gonna retire him and Olberic and work on the other characters, but it's such a huge blow to my killing power, and I'm looking at a ton of grinding before one of the level 30 characters can take their place. It might make more sense to just keep the A-Team together and just drag everyone else through their Ch4s on the back of being hugely overleveled. :(

I don't think I'm gonna have the heart for the endgame stuff. I just hit 50 hours played and I'm starting to get a little burnt out, definitely not going to grind everyone up to 60 for the last dungeon. Really fun game though, and worth the money for sure. I really didn't think I was going to take to another JRPG nearly this much, I haven't really played one since high school. I'm not sure if I want to sell it or just hold onto it and maybe pick it up again sometime down the line and go after the final bosses. I haven't even bothered with any of the secret jobs!

Go unlock the extra jobs and make one of your core 3 in to a sorcerer and give them a pair of of the ele atk accessories in addition to a staff and ele atk hat. They'll easy carry your low level characters through those chapters, and you can use the XP and JP boosting passives to level them all faster. There are accessories that stack with the passives too but they are only available via certain quests after finishing specific ch4 stories.

One problem is you focused on 3 characters that much compared to the others. If you'd rotated more you could have your main character around 50, the other 2 in the mid 40s and the rest in the high 30s to low 40s. Levels come at a pretty steady pace but you can't neglect 5 characters and then expect them to quickly catch up in a fraction of the time (without stacking the xp/jp accessories and passives and blitzing high level fights). :shrug:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm thinking of doing the post game boss rush to get the story bits and for challange and just look up the final boss. Dont feel like grinding for just that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

One problem is you focused on 3 characters that much compared to the others. If you'd rotated more you could have your main character around 50, the other 2 in the mid 40s and the rest in the high 30s to low 40s. Levels come at a pretty steady pace but you can't neglect 5 characters and then expect them to quickly catch up in a fraction of the time (without stacking the xp/jp accessories and passives and blitzing high level fights). :shrug:

Eh, it kinda seems like the last chapter and the endgame bits could have been happily smushed together a bit. If levels started to scale harder towards the end, I could be looking at a main character around 50 and the others in the mid 40s around now, and then maybe look at 55 or so for the endgame dungeon.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm thinking of doing the post game boss rush to get the story bits and for challange and just look up the final boss. Dont feel like grinding for just that.

I'd say the final boss is worth doing since the boss rush is hot garbage but the actual final fight is pretty good. I grinded both my teams up to 70-ish as preparation but you don't get that much out of it. Put Saving Grace on everyone and you should be able to do it in the 50's. I ran Sorcerer and Warmaster as my damage in the first team and went full runelord spam on the second.

For a game that is usually very good at giving you save points and not loving you over I have no idea what they were doing with the final parts. The refights suck since you're way too strong for chp 4 bosses to be more than a waste of time.

post final boss: Also, the game needed an ending that is longer than 5 seconds. I don't give a poo poo about Kit. He's just some douche related to some other ancient douche who is somehow related to a banished evil god.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

You can get away with that. (Post-game) The interesting parts are definitely the lore sections after each boss rush, the ending post-final boss is underwhelming, a bit cool but not worth doing the boss for. The final boss itself is a pretty fun fight for both halves, but considering the lack of save points I'd say it's an "Attempt this once and if you die Google the ending" sort of thing.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Grinding is a lot easier after doing all the chapter 4s, when you can equip the Captain's Badge and Badge of Friendship, plus the Extra Experience and Hard Worker passives, and then finish almost every fight in the Forest of Purgation on the first turn with Sorcerer Primrose.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm here, I started it on Sat, got bored 3 minutes in and decided to move on to God of War. After 70 hours, I had fun, I feel like I got my moneys worth and maybe I'll go back at some point to wrap it up. That said, having played this I'd definitely be thirsty for a Bravely port.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What are some of the other "postgame" activities besides the hidden jobs and the endgame dungeon? I keep hearing you guys talking about battle-tested weapons, but I haven't seen a single one. I thought the Forbidden equipment was supposed to be the best -- I've gotten a few of those with Tressa's Purchase, since the steal rates are always very low. Then again, I just did the snake dungeon in the desert and got a bow that puts them all to shame, so... Especially interested in finding a good sword.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They're weapons that you can find as item drops / quest rewards / steal / purchases from post Chapter 4 characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, but what's all this post Ch4 stuff? I've done 3 of them and I haven't seen anything obvious that opens up.