Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Dukket posted:

What do folks here do about their legs while backing packing in the rain in mid to low 60's. I run very hot so I'm really hesitant to wear rain pants. I thought about getting a rain kilt or ditching my rain jacket and getting a poncho.

If getting cold isn't a problem (e.g. from wet + wind), and I don't have to worry about stuff freezing overnight (rare if daytime temps are that high), I just have wet pants. If I really don't want to get my pants wet for some reason, and it's too warm to put rainpants over them, Ill just take off the hiking pants, wear only rainpants, and use the side zips to vent/cool off if I need to. If you do get rainpants, I highly recommend half or at least quarter length side zips, even if it costs some ounces. If you ever plan to use them with boots, full zips might be worthwhile

Plenty of people like ponchos or other alternative rain gear. Ponchos seem like they would be great in some conditions, but I can't see them doing well in high winds or dense vegetation. Rain kilts....on the one hand, are easy to put on and off irrespective of footwear and have great ventilation, but on the other hand, your pants are still gonna get like, half wet. If half wet pants are good enough, and it's not cold, do you really need to mess around with another piece of gear instead of just having full wet pants? Besides, rainjackets, especially as they are usually sized a bit large, will often cover your butt/crotch anyway. Lotta people use them and like them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

On my last trip, some kind soul had left behind a 5 gal hard plastic bucket for getting drinking water *cough* putting out illegal fires in the multiple firepits *cough cough*. It was honestly very handy having water to filter right next to my camp, so now I'm thinking about light foldable buckets. This seems to be the going option - anyone used it or have a better choice?

e: on further thought, what I'm looking for here is probably better served by one of those large-volume gravity fed filters. How about those impressions?

Chard fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 11, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Be mindful of what kind of water source you plan on encountering. Trying to fill a collapsible container in a shallow water can be a frustrating experience. Gravity filtering is great (less work), but sometimes I wish I could just drop a hose down into a shallow water source and pump it up.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

On my last trip, some kind soul had left behind a 5 gal hard plastic bucket for getting drinking water *cough* putting out illegal fires in the multiple firepits *cough cough*. It was honestly very handy having water to filter right next to my camp, so now I'm thinking about light foldable buckets. This seems to be the going option - anyone used it or have a better choice?

e: on further thought, what I'm looking for here is probably better served by one of those large-volume gravity fed filters. How about those impressions?

Water buckets are great! But you're overthinking it... not necessarily these, but laminated reusable shopping/tote bags are freaking great at collecting water, especially to fill other stuff like filters or Sawyer bags which are a pain to fill at the source..

Actually, if you're just looking for water at camp, I just bring about 2 gallons worth of liter Sawyer bags to mule up close to camp or if there's water issues. They're durable, weigh nothing, don't cost much, are easy to rearrange in a pack and redistribute weight, and have worked great for me for years. I just treat clean water right into them, doesn't take long with the BeFree filter

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Water buckets are great! But you're overthinking it... not necessarily these, but laminated reusable shopping/tote bags are freaking great at collecting water, especially to fill other stuff like filters or Sawyer bags which are a pain to fill at the source..

Actually, if you're just looking for water at camp, I just bring about 2 gallons worth of liter Sawyer bags to mule up close to camp or if there's water issues. They're durable, weigh nothing, don't cost much, are easy to rearrange in a pack and redistribute weight, and have worked great for me for years. I just treat clean water right into them, doesn't take long with the BeFree filter

CopperHound posted:

Be mindful of what kind of water source you plan on encountering. Trying to fill a collapsible container in a shallow water can be a frustrating experience. Gravity filtering is great (less work), but sometimes I wish I could just drop a hose down into a shallow water source and pump it up.

I do have a bunch of shopping bags that might work, I'll have to see if any of them are tough enough. I've been using a Katadyn Vario filter for a few years now which is great, except it's both large and heavy, but does benefit from having a good pre-filter and can suck water out of a sneeze. But I think the Sawyer system is probably where I was heading all along, possibly with some kind of scoop if conditions warrant. The inline option is pretty cool, but it's a bit of a mental hurdle putting unfiltered water into a hydration pack. Time for more research.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

I do have a bunch of shopping bags that might work, I'll have to see if any of them are tough enough. I've been using a Katadyn Vario filter for a few years now which is great, except it's both large and heavy, but does benefit from having a good pre-filter and can suck water out of a sneeze. But I think the Sawyer system is probably where I was heading all along, possibly with some kind of scoop if conditions warrant. The inline option is pretty cool, but it's a bit of a mental hurdle putting unfiltered water into a hydration pack. Time for more research.

Honestly, the Sawyer is extremely frustrating in my experience, with the amount of effort required relative to the low flow. I just use the sawyer water bags on their own to mule water when necessary.

I've been using the Khatadyn BeFree filter and I love it... Basically the same thing as the Sawyer, but the filter sits up in the water bag so it has much more surface area exposed, and filters with the speed of a running faucet with minimal effort.

I previously had the Khatadyn gravity filter which worked great, but the BeFree is much smaller, lighter, and easier to use.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Honestly, the Sawyer is extremely frustrating in my experience, with the amount of effort required relative to the low flow. I just use the sawyer water bags on their own to mule water when necessary.
I have a sawer (not mini). Squeeze filtering is complete bullshit, but when I couple it to my hydration bag and hold it up a couple feet it works quite well with minimal work.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Quit being a weight weenie and just get one of these

Katadyn Expedition, filters 4L/min, and weighs in at a svelte 183oz. All this for a meager $1500.

:colbert:

I actually have one of these monsters, my dad found it at a junk store that sells Amazon returned items. They had it labeled as a ‘bilge pump’; he got it for $30 :smuggo: Only thing wrong with it was a spring clip had come off the handle. Fixed it for a dime at Lowes.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I just fill empty water bottles with dirty water and screw my Sawyer Squeeze onto them and drink direct.

If I'm on a trip that requires more carrying capacity (talking 6L+), I'll bring a bladder and then squeeze from there into bottles as needed.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I've never understood how anyone could prefer that approach. Twice I've had my dirty water bags leak to the point of futility and both times the couple of days until I could get a new bag drove me crazy trying to drink straight through the Sawyer filter. To each their own, I suppose.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Quit being a weight weenie and just get one of these

Katadyn Expedition, filters 4L/min, and weighs in at a svelte 183oz. All this for a meager $1500.

:colbert:

I actually have one of these monsters, my dad found it at a junk store that sells Amazon returned items. They had it labeled as a ‘bilge pump’; he got it for $30 :smuggo: Only thing wrong with it was a spring clip had come off the handle. Fixed it for a dime at Lowes.

Holy hell that thing is legit :vince:

I had no idea anything like that existed, that's crazy! Makes me wonder if they have anything that'll do heavy metal contaminants...

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I need a new sleeping bag (3 season). A lightweight one would be good so I can go bikecamping and it’s not so heavy. Also recommend a good bag for biking. One that attaches to the seat post

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

barkbell posted:

I need a new sleeping bag (3 season). A lightweight one would be good so I can go bikecamping and it’s not so heavy. Also recommend a good bag for biking. One that attaches to the seat post

Are you open to using a quilt? They can be made with permanently enclosed footboxes, or ones that you have the option to close.

Traditional mummy bags have a bit of a weight penalty with all of the down/insulation below you not doing much as you are lying on top of and compressing it.

I use an UGQ Bandit (20deg) https://ugqoutdoor.com/top-quilts/bandit/ . Mine is long because I'm tall, and wide because I use it on the ground and not in a hammock. Clocks in at 25oz and is truly warm down to 20. I think it cost me $160.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

khysanth posted:

Are you open to using a quilt? They can be made with permanently enclosed footboxes, or ones that you have the option to close.

Traditional mummy bags have a bit of a weight penalty with all of the down/insulation below you not doing much as you are lying on top of and compressing it.

I use an UGQ Bandit (20deg) https://ugqoutdoor.com/top-quilts/bandit/ . Mine is long because I'm tall, and wide because I use it on the ground and not in a hammock. Clocks in at 25oz and is truly warm down to 20. I think it cost me $160.

Seconding this, quilts are awesome! I was totally skeptical until I spent my first night below freezing in one, and now I'll never go back to the lovely confines of a mummy bag

Hammock Gear also has great quilts made right here in Ohio, and they have an econ line that just uses a basically identical but much cheaper fabric:

http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-econ-40/

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I too have a 20 degree UGQ quilt and love it.

The Klymit packraft is up on Massdrop again. Anyone have one of those? I would love to have something light and packable for lakes and relatively calm rivers, and $100 is tough to beat assuming decent packable paddles aren’t too expensive.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

whats a good gps? I have zero interest in paying extra for a digital map, all I want is an accurate UTM readout

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

From PYF, a new way to waste money and potentially ruin your back:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Terrifying Effigies posted:

From PYF, a new way to waste money and potentially ruin your back:

I wonder what dozens of pounds of up and down inertia does when you're doing literally anything but going in a straight line

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also that backpack alone weighs 12 pounds.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I deal for open beers if you need to run.

You don't want to spill your beer.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I want to see what literally any amount of sand/dirt does to that.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

whats a good gps? I have zero interest in paying extra for a digital map, all I want is an accurate UTM readout

Most people just use phones these days. Every map software I've used can show coordinates in lat/long or UTM/MRGS, but there's gotta be a free app that will do the same if that's all you need.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

the yeti posted:

I wonder what dozens of pounds of up and down inertia does when you're doing literally anything but going in a straight line

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

I still love my garmin etrex 20. Batteries last a long time, its easy to use and always seems way more accurate/useful than trying to use my phone. Plus if I drop it I'm not worried about spending $1k to replace it. You can find all sorts of free maps online. I downloaded all of the available maps in the PNW to a micro sd card and they work perfectly with trails, landmarks, county lines, topo lines etc. I dont remember where I got them but google makes it easy to find.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What about a phone app like Gaia GPS?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Loucks posted:

I too have a 20 degree UGQ quilt and love it.

The Klymit packraft is up on Massdrop again. Anyone have one of those? I would love to have something light and packable for lakes and relatively calm rivers, and $100 is tough to beat assuming decent packable paddles aren’t too expensive.

Ditto on UGQ -- I've been using their 20° quilt and underquilt for about four years now on a monthly basis and they've held up awesome under every season and weather condition, including by itself during a snowstorm with no tarp or bivy, well worth the money! (Not that I would ever do the quilt by itself again, that was a cold night, but I lived and slept intermittently)

I don't know about packrafts, but I do know that inflatables are frustrating as poo poo to paddle. I used to have a Sea Eagle kayak and it wouldn't track worth a drat. So frustrating I barely used the drat thing.

I bought an Oru folding kayak last year and that thing is pretty drat awesome--that I highly highly recommend that (except for the price).

Morbus posted:

Most people just use phones these days. Every map software I've used can show coordinates in lat/long or UTM/MRGS, but there's gotta be a free app that will do the same if that's all you need.

Google maps will give you coordinates, just open up the mobile app, drop a pin, and scroll up the more info tab in the bottom, and it's just listed out. You can also download offline maps for a particular area if you're going to be somewhere with limited cell service.

Depends on where you're going and what you're doing whether that's enough or you need a real full fledged GPS.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
iPhone’s stock compass app will spit out coordinates if that’s all you want.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So what’s the difference between a quilt and a bag? Aren’t bags quilted?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Quilts don’t have a zipper or the part that goes under your back? Or the hood?’

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've been looking for a new backpack to replace the somewhat lovely one I got in Eastern Europe which has started to fall apart and poke me in the back with bits of frame. I think I need a larger daypack because I have kids and I need to schlep all their stuff around, so somewhere between 30-40 liters I guess. I'm generally sweaty so it needs to have a ventilation system of some sort and side pockets for water bottles. Sometimes we go camping so some ability to strap stuff to the outside would be good as well. I've been looking at the Osprey stratos 36:

https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs...prey+stratos+36

Is there something better/lighter/more bang for my buck I should be looking at?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

barkbell posted:

A quilt is literally a blanket that drapes over you whereas a traditional sleeping bag is a cocoon that surrounds your entire body with insulation on all sides and usually features a zipper and a hood. You should already be using an insulated sleeping pad to keep the cold ground from getting to your body regardless if you're using a sleeping bag or a quilt. Sleeping bag insulation is effective because of its fluffy loft, but its not so effective when you're laying on it crushing the loft. The idea is that you don't "need" to have all the insulation/material underneath you since you're using an insulated pad already, and you're crushing the insulation of the bag anyway which should cut half the weight of the sleeping bag by removing the non-essential materials.

I have a hard time believing a quilt is just as warm as a sleeping bag. It seems like there would be a lot of chances of drafts and air leaking out due to it not being a closed system. I would consider a quilt for warmer trips but I am questionable about their performance when temps get down to freezing. I've never used one but I like the idea of a smaller and lighter weight system but sleep comfort is one of the few things I have a hard time gambling with. Some people like quilts, some people hate mummy bags but I would say the vast majority of people are still using mummy bags. I suppose if you want to try a quilt before buying, you could always completely unzip your sleeping bag and drape it over you to see how it goes.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 21, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

barkbell posted:

Basically a quilt is the top half of a sleeping bag, with some extra material to enclose the footbox and usually a button to snug around and enclose your shoulders. Like a mummyish blanket, quilts forego the bottom half, because it's basically pointless. When the insulation compresses, it loses r value, so what's insulating you on the bottom is your foam pad or what have you.

So, half the bulk and weight of a sleeping bag, with the same efficacy.

I bring a beanie in the shoulder seasons, and even have a wiggys thermal hood for winter. Plus the quilts are just all around more comfortable since you can move around and they're easier to get into.

Hope that helps :)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Hmmm that sounds good. I’ll look into them

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Verman posted:

I have a hard time believing a quilt is just as warm as a sleeping bag. It seems like there would be a lot of chances of drafts and air leaking out due to it not being a closed system.

There is certainly a slight learning curve, but quilts come with a strap system to keep it in place on your sleeping pad if you so choose in colder temps where you really want to avoid any drafts. Many people take them out to their stated temp ratings and are perfectly comfortable. The only brand I know of that is a big aggressive with/overstating their temp ratings is Enlightened Equipment (although I think they recently started adding more down to their quilts to combat this reputation).

Personally if you're going to go lower than 20deg, I would just get a mummy, but for all of my three-season camping I will never go back to one.

All that being said, some people just can't stand one or the other.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I was super dubious of quilts too, for years thinking it was ultralight nonsense like cutting a toothbrush in half. However, I've consistently used my 20° quilt/underquilt combo in winter below freezing, and been quite happy. When it dips down below 20° though, I do combine my wiggys 20° bag and UGQ 20° quilts, which has gotten me down to -18 F windchill in my hammock. Not the most efficient deep winter system, but it's light enough to get some miles under my belt, and I'm usually not too adventurous mileage wise when it's that stinking cold.

For the record, I am a cold sleeper too, if that helps allay any concerns...

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Verman posted:

A quilt is literally a blanket that drapes over you whereas a traditional sleeping bag is a cocoon that surrounds your entire body with insulation on all sides and usually features a zipper and a hood. You should already be using an insulated sleeping pad to keep the cold ground from getting to your body regardless if you're using a sleeping bag or a quilt. Sleeping bag insulation is effective because of its fluffy loft, but its not so effective when you're laying on it crushing the loft. The idea is that you don't "need" to have all the insulation/material underneath you since you're using an insulated pad already, and you're crushing the insulation of the bag anyway which should cut half the weight of the sleeping bag by removing the non-essential materials.

I have a hard time believing a quilt is just as warm as a sleeping bag. It seems like there would be a lot of chances of drafts and air leaking out due to it not being a closed system. I would consider a quilt for warmer trips but I am questionable about their performance when temps get down to freezing. I've never used one but I like the idea of a smaller and lighter weight system but sleep comfort is one of the few things I have a hard time gambling with. Some people like quilts, some people hate mummy bags but I would say the vast majority of people are still using mummy bags. I suppose if you want to try a quilt before buying, you could always completely unzip your sleeping bag and drape it over you to see how it goes.

Drafts can be a concern, but a couple things to consider:

-The extent to which this matters really depends on your overall shelter system. For an enclosed freestanding tent (even a very light one like a BD firstlight) drafts are much less of an issue than a floorless tarp, for example.

-A quilt + bivy bag or similar system will generally be much warmer (and more draft proof) than a mummy bag of the same weight. If drafts are the main concern, tucking half a kilo of down under your butt doesn't really contribute to the solution.

-Lack of a hood can be an issue in very cold temps. Obviously you can just wear a down cap or your jacket, but this may need to be taken into account when figuring the weight savings of a quilt vs. bag

-Unless it's truly cold and/or windy, and unless you are moving around constantly, most quilts can be tucked very securely around you so that drafts are not really an issue.

I use quilts almost exclusively in late spring / summer / fall and I've been totally comfortable down to the rating of the quilt (~20F). That being said, in winter and for very cold temperatures I use a bag, simply because down is expensive and it's way easier to find good deals on any of the abundant 0F mummy bags vs. the comparatively rare 0F quilts. Also, the 10-16 oz weight savings of a bag vs. quilt feels a lot less compelling for typically much heavier winter pack loadouts, especially if you need to pair it with a bivy bag. So imo mummy bags are just the simpler option for winter. But I never use them anymore outside of that, and I use a floorless shelter almost always.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For people who went with quilts and open air shelters with no mesh screen, are bugs regularly an issue? I feel like without that bathtub barrier and mesh screen, bugs would have to be an issue at some point. I know some of the minimalist shelters like tarp tents etc can have mesh but not all do. I've cowboy camped a few times and almost always woke up with bug bites on my head/face but the thought of wearing a bug net over my head while I sleep seems unsafe. I just feel like at a certain point, weight shavings start cutting into basic comforts but I guess its up to each person to decide how much they are willing to sacrifice to lose pack weight and move quicker.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Bug pressure really just depends on location and time of year. I personally wouldn't cowboy camp/be without a mesh shelter in buggy situations. At the very least I'd slip into my Borah Gear Bivy.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Verman posted:

For people who went with quilts and open air shelters with no mesh screen, are bugs regularly an issue? I feel like without that bathtub barrier and mesh screen, bugs would have to be an issue at some point. I know some of the minimalist shelters like tarp tents etc can have mesh but not all do. I've cowboy camped a few times and almost always woke up with bug bites on my head/face but the thought of wearing a bug net over my head while I sleep seems unsafe. I just feel like at a certain point, weight shavings start cutting into basic comforts but I guess its up to each person to decide how much they are willing to sacrifice to lose pack weight and move quicker.

I have a bug net w/ floor for my pyramid tarp, and I used to bring it a lot "just in case" since I really hate bugs. For the most part, I've found I'm usually not camping in situations where it's actually truly necessary, so most of the time I go without these days. For just "normal" bugs--i.e. having to constantly swat mosquitoes in the evening while cooking dinner but not having to run away while getting eaten alive and inhaling them with every breath--once it's zipped up for the night new mosquitoes don't really enter the tarp for whatever reason, and if 1-2 get in there they just keep trying to fly to the top where they get trapped and are easy to kill or ignore. Treating the shelter with permethrin and spraying some DEET around the perimeter seem to be sufficient to keep most of them away. Cowboy camping tends to be much worse, I really don't know why.

I also just tend to avoid camping in places where bug pressure is going to bad. During the earlier part of the summer when snowmelt is highest and mosquitos tend to be worst, I'll usually camp at or above the snowline and pick routes where I can take advantage of the fact that there's still plenty of snow on the mountains. Mosquitos aren't usually bad in those places even if they are horrid 1000 ft lower. If I want to camp around lakes and such I'll usually do it later in the summer when bugs aren't so bad.

Anyway, adding the bug net to my tarp takes the total shelter weight from ~16 oz to ~28, which is still pretty good. It isn't *quite* as light as an ultralight shelter with built in foor+bug netting like the Zpacks Duplex, but it's only a few oz heavier, and during the majority of the time where I don't really need a bug net a big, I get to have a really simple, light, spacious and pretty bombproof shelter that packs to nothing. Also, I typically pitch my mid relatively close to the ground, so it's still far more enclosed than for example a typical flat tarp setup. But if I were regularly camping in severe bug pressure, and didn't care about using the same shelter during winter and summer, I'd absolutely prefer a fully enclosed shelter with integrated bug netting + floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Loucks posted:

I have one and like it. Haven't taken it hiking yet, but have gone out on a few lakes. I haven't done more than 3.5 hours in it at a time (which was an accident when I seriously underestimated the distance across a bay) but it's really fun. It's on the slow side and doesn't track particularly well, but being able to go on the water for $200 and <5 pounds is hella worth it. I got an AE ultralight paddle for $45/23 oz and MTI adventure PFD for $30/14oz at REI outlet. No regerts.