Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ActusRhesus posted:

gently caress that. Demi Moore looks like a more mature Actus Rhesus. Bitch is 20 years older than I am.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

BTW I think this thread is funnier, more interesting, and just all around better with more people posting in it. I also know lawyers are rightfully concerned about doxxing and internet detectives. I don’t want anyone to feel turned off about posting in here. So again, if anyone would prefer to be removed from the OP or have their description unjokified, PM me or if you don’t have PMs I guess you can email my username at gmail dot com. No promises I will check that email routinely though.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don’t want anyone to feel turned off about posting in here.

Phil wants everyone to be turned on when posting in here!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The only thing that turns me on is a sexy lady!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Tokelau All Star posted:

We have Lexis Advance which is actually really good and easy to use.

Lexis Advance is so much worse than Westlaw Next. Leagues and leagues. I'm seriously sad my firm is cancelling its Westlaw subscription because it claims that Lexis is an adequate replacement. And that's just the primary research capabilities. The secondary sources on Lexis are also atrocious. (Why is Moore's noticeably worse than Wright & Miller? They've had like a million years to get it up to snuff....)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
The firm I’m at used Lexis. I’m considering reviving my firm for the sole purpose of getting flat fee Westlaw.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Arcturas posted:

Lexis Advance is so much worse than Westlaw Next. Leagues and leagues. I'm seriously sad my firm is cancelling its Westlaw subscription because it claims that Lexis is an adequate replacement. And that's just the primary research capabilities. The secondary sources on Lexis are also atrocious. (Why is Moore's noticeably worse than Wright & Miller? They've had like a million years to get it up to snuff....)

Only monsters choose Lexis Advance over Westlaw Next. The Lexis layout and interface is just horrendous. And I say this as someone who preferred old Lexis over old West!

I will say that Lexis does sometimes have cases that for whatever reason aren't on West. It's never a make-or-break case, but it's happened a handful of times in the past three years.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

Only monsters choose Lexis Advance over Westlaw Next. The Lexis layout and interface is just horrendous. And I say this as someone who preferred old Lexis over old West!

I will say that Lexis does sometimes have cases that for whatever reason aren't on West. It's never a make-or-break case, but it's happened a handful of times in the past three years.

I find that's mostly state trial court decisions. Which are largely useless anyways.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arcturas posted:

on the other hand lexis has Collier's on Bankruptcy and Westlaw has...well, some pale imitation

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I know that Advance and Next were an attempt to get out in front of increasing digitization, quality and accessibility of public case records. How many years will it be before the public systems catch up?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What public systems? Google scholars not atrocious if you have a cite or are looking for pretty general stuff, but it can’t hold a candle to lexis or westlaw yet for real research. If you just mean docket access that’s a different question.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Arcturas posted:

Word.

My old firm used to have both. Then they decided they would have only one and they picked Lexis bc money. Over the course of the contract we had multiple instances of Shepard’s being wrong. Not a little wrong, but malpractice wrong. Next negotiation period, we went Westlaw and had no problems. Lexis is hot garbage.

E: Westlaw also has some cases Lexis doesn’t have. Each has about 10% cases the other doesn’t have, and yeah they’re usually state court garbage.

Westlaws Pacer overlay is also so much more reliable.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 13, 2018

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
So that fabulous firm I’ve mentioned that I will only communicate with in writing?

They’re trying to get me sanctioned. Again. Last time it was “fraudulently falsely certifying documents” because I signed it the Friday before the Fourth of July and due to a combination of slow moving state admin support and federal holiday it was not post marked until the 6th. FRAUD!!!! Bench ruling. Go away.

Now it’s once again fraudulent misrepresentation. Because I relied on the actual clerk’s file rather than some babbling bullshit representation made by opposing counsel in an unrelated pleading. “Counsel knew or should have known I did this because buried in nine pages of whining about my caseload in a motion to modify the scheduling order I said I did it. Even though I never filed any of the things I was supposed to file if I had in fact done it. Oral argument requested”

Go to law school!

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Love when opponents append unserved FRCP 11 countermotions to their oppositions. Gotta cherish those opportunities to write "haha look at how dumb these dummies are, they can't even be bothered to scratch the surface of this circuit's Rule 11 case law or even read Rule 11 itself" replies and oppositions.

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 13, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I certainly get a bit of shameful joy whenever I reject paperwork for minor errors. "Sorry, your client didn't date the paperwork, fix that and call back."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
My response was basically “the petitioner alleges the respondent has made fraudulent misrepresentations to this court. The respondent, at all times, relied upon the record of pleadings as reflected on the electronic court file attached hereto as exhibit a. Oral argument waived.”

These guys are rear end clowns.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I've had the court issue an order releasing an arrested ship, then removing it a day later from the big public database (imagine a single docket for all commercial courts in the country, but one that doesn't serve a purpose other than publishing orders and decisions/judgments/whatever you call them there's like 15 different names for different judicial acts none of which translate into English). The court first pretended it never happened, and later claimed that it was a "malfunction in the upload software which resulted in a draft order being uploaded instead of the real one" (it is as dumb as it sounds)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Wow, even Russia has online access to courts dockets.

Get hosed Texas.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Get hosed Texas.

:gonk: B...bu...but how could the district clerks possibly rip off lawyers with $1.00 per page copies ensure the integrity of the filings with a Big GovernmentTM centralized database? They have a Constitutional duty to protect their fiefdoms, dammit!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

gently caress Texas for being the only Secretary of State website you can’t even SEARCH for free. And of course the system to do that is trash tier and guarantees you have to run more searches than should be needed.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Get hosed Texas.

https://research.txcourts.gov/

Attorneys only have access to their cases so far. Adding access to all cases planned.

It’s no pacer but it sure beats trying to get records from some small county out in the middle of nowhere.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

gently caress that. Demi Moore looks like a more mature Actus Rhesus. Bitch is 20 years older than I am.

your modesty is your most endearing quality

Look Sir Droids posted:

gently caress Texas
yea

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Are allayall Americans saying that you guys don't have a US equivalent of Canlii?

Bless your hearts.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Tipps posted:

Are allayall Americans saying that you guys don't have a US equivalent of Canlii?

Bless your hearts.

Holy poo poo this is amazing

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tipps posted:

Bless your hearts.

But federalism and overreach and big brother and states' rights!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Well. There’s findlaw....

If you’re desperate.

Our state publishes all appellate decisions online though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
scholar.google.com

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kanly is the ancient rite of formal vendetta, not a website for laws or whatever

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

scholar.google.com

You loving masochist.

In other news, resisting urge to fwd email correspondence to my favorite firm that boiled down to “Yeah. Of course I have no objection to a one week extension. Why don’t you give yourself some padding and ask for 2. Presume no objection to same extension on my return deadline?” With a note “this is how people respond when you aren’t a disingenuous shitlord.”

Pretty sure there’s an over under on how long before I call him a douchebag on the record.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 13, 2018

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Pook Good Mook posted:

But federalism and overreach and big brother and states' rights!

Counterpoint, you can read all 173 decisions of the Ontario Horse Racing Appeal Panel for free.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Tipps posted:

Counterpoint, you can read all 173 decisions of the Ontario Horse Racing Appeal Panel for free.

Link plz.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

https://www.hrappealpanel.ca/en/all_decisions

Best thing on CanLII is still Meads v. Meads (180+ pages of sovcit insanity): https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 13, 2018

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
how the hell can you be think that the whole sovereign citizen poo poo would fly in canada?

like they still have the queen

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

how the hell can you be think that the whole sovereign citizen poo poo would fly in canada?

it actually seems a lot easier to imagine there's bizarre legal loopholes that nobody has quashed and everyone just agrees to ignore in a legal system that still technically has a queen

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The office of prime minister is mentioned only once and in passing in the constitution of Canada. Basically the whole government functions on convention, which I think makes it harder to try and advance the highly formalistic and pseudo-legal arguments you see from American sovereign citizens.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I guess I just always figured Canada didn't have enough contemptuous, boonie idiots to field a squad of sovereign citizens, but I was wrong.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I would have thought that pre-Jordan Peterson.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I guess I just always figured Canada didn't have enough contemptuous, boonie idiots to field a squad of sovereign citizens, but I was wrong.

Canada has its own special breed of hillbilly. Go far enough north and you can observe the mullet in its natural habitat.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ActusRhesus posted:

Canada has its own special breed of hillbilly. Go far enough north and you can observe the mullet in its natural habitat.

The entire maritimes (excluding Halifax) is just Northern Maine with funnier accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ActusRhesus posted:

Stop erasing southern mullets