Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Casu Marzu posted:

Maybe teriyaki or harissa or adobo or chipotle or a dry rub or skip the marinades in general and do something like 40 clove chicken or thee cup chicken or chicken tinga

Lots of good promise there, though he also didn't like the adobo the time I made it (vinegar is too much for him). Teriyaki is such an obvious one!

Leavemywife posted:

I usually do a marinade of

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce (not Kikkoman, it's too salty)
2 tbsp lemon juice

Then whatever spices you like. I usually use a tablespoon of each, typically onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, maybe some cumin, then some salt and pepper. Whisk it all together nice and good, then let your chicken marinade overnight.

It's nothing fancy and probably pretty basic to most people interested in cooking, but I'll be damned if me and my family don't enjoy it.

Nothing fancy is just fine, I'm the poster who just told someone to put soy sauce and freeze dried scallions in their oatmeal

Your recipe does sound quite nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Human Tornada posted:

My favorite is the Memphis style from Serious Eats

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/05/sauced-memphis-style-barbecue-sauce.html?ref=title

You could add a splash of liquid smoke if you want it smokier.

That sounds pretty good, but could I cut out the hot sauce and still be okay? I had a bout of indigestion this morning that nearly made me call into work.

I really hate that. I like some heat with me meals, but it just about kills me. Thankfully, though, the doctor said that I just have issues with that and antacids usually do the trick. The other option was removing my gallbladder, and I really didn't want to do that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

effika posted:

Favorite chicken marinades that don't rely on balsamic vinegar or lots of mustard? My husband doesn't like sour stuff.
As an aside: balsamic vinegar really shouldn't be sour the way most vinegars are. Without getting into the whole messy nonsense involving balsamic certification, the traditional stuff is made from grape must and is rich and slightly sweet. A lot of stuff sold as balsamic vinegar in the US is actually just distilled vinegar with a little balsamic vinegar-ish flavouring. Not that I'm trying to talk you into using balsamic after all, just calling it out because a lot of people are unaware that there are multiple things that are quite different from each other all going by the same name.

Anyway, one of my favourite approaches to chicken is to not marinade at all, just cover the skin with a lot of salt and a little pepper, rosemary in the cavity (or under the fabricated parts if you're not using a whole chicken), roast at high heat until the skin is crisped up, when it's done dump the rosemary into to drippings, swirl it around a bit and then baste the skin with the drippings. Serve with pommes persillade or something simple like that, maybe a salad of bitter greens or other simple salad.

Captainsalami posted:

For me a good stir fry is throwing whatever is on hand or on sale in the wok and topping with a good sauce. Thanks goon sir.
Then yeah, a lot of oyster sauce (the Yee Kum Kee stuff in the pinkish bottle is good and you might find it in the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of your local non-ethnic grocer's) and a little light soy is one of the standard saucings for broccoli, gai lan, yu choy, and that kind of thing. This usually goes with about equal amounts of minced or thinly sliced garlic and ginger. There are other approaches, but it's a pretty good base to build a throw-poo poo-in-a-wok dish.

Soy, shaoxing, and five spice is another standard base to build from as well if you're not trying to reproduce some specific dish.

Leavemywife posted:

I've got a growing interest in cooking, especially grilling, and I'd like to learn how to make some sauces. I've looked up a few different barbecue sauce recipes, but they're usually spicy. I like spicy food (but can't eat it much anymore, as I dislike the indigestion it gives me), but nobody else in the family does.

Does anyone have a recipe for a good, smoky barbecue sauce?
In addition to what's already been said: figure out what kind of bbq sauce base you want to use (tomato + sweetener, vinegar-based, whatever), and then gently caress around with it and make it your own. BBQ sauces aren't delicate things that need to be done just so, they're definitely something you should feel comfortable making substitutions and improvising with.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

That sauce would be just fine without hot sauce added. Memphis style is great too!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
From a few pages back, but to my amazement, the Nutrition Label on my bottle of Hoy Fong Sriracha says 0g sugar/no added sugar, but sugar is also the 2nd ingredient on the list after chilis.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Annath posted:

From a few pages back, but to my amazement, the Nutrition Label on my bottle of Hoy Fong Sriracha says 0g sugar/no added sugar, but sugar is also the 2nd ingredient on the list after chilis.

What's the serving size? Iirc less than 0.5g they can round down to 0, and if the serving size is like half an ounce it could very easily be the second most abundant ingredient while still registering as 0.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Leavemywife posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for a good, smoky barbecue sauce?

A longtime back some grilling goon said they spent years trying to perfect a bbq sauce only to realize they were recreating Sweet Baby Ray's.

99% of the time I use a rub and no tomato based sauce. Sometimes I make an NC style vinegar sauce but for the few times I use tomato based sauce it's Sweet Baby Ray's or Bone Suckin Sauce.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

effika posted:

Favorite chicken marinades that don't rely on balsamic vinegar or lots of mustard? My husband doesn't like sour stuff. (Which meant more for me this week.)

The 3-2-1 yogurt citrus marinade going around has worked out really well-- lime was especially tasty. (1 C yogurt, 1 citrus fruit zested & juiced & the other sliced on the cooking chicken (so 2 citruses), 3 cloves minced garlic)

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2015/07/turkish-chicken-kebabs-expect-more.html

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

SubG posted:

As an aside: balsamic vinegar really shouldn't be sour the way most vinegars are. Without getting into the whole messy nonsense involving balsamic certification, the traditional stuff is made from grape must and is rich and slightly sweet. A lot of stuff sold as balsamic vinegar in the US is actually just distilled vinegar with a little balsamic vinegar-ish flavouring. Not that I'm trying to talk you into using balsamic after all, just calling it out because a lot of people are unaware that there are multiple things that are quite different from each other all going by the same name.

Anyway, one of my favourite approaches to chicken is to not marinade at all, just cover the skin with a lot of salt and a little pepper, rosemary in the cavity (or under the fabricated parts if you're not using a whole chicken), roast at high heat until the skin is crisped up, when it's done dump the rosemary into to drippings, swirl it around a bit and then baste the skin with the drippings. Serve with pommes persillade or something simple like that, maybe a salad of bitter greens or other simple salad.

Yeah, I have some decent balsamic vinegar, but I just spaced and used the words my husband does to describe vinegary tastes. He also thinks mustard is sour so there's no accounting for his taste buds!

Rosemary with chicken is one of the best things.

Oooh, this looks very nice. Thanks.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Enourmo posted:

What's the serving size? Iirc less than 0.5g they can round down to 0, and if the serving size is like half an ounce it could very easily be the second most abundant ingredient while still registering as 0.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Is there a GWS Meal Prepping thread? I'm trying to get better (read: started) at meal prep but am a bit lost other than "cook a bunch of poo poo, put it in containers, eat it later in the week". Does anyone have preferred meal prep recipes or guides out there?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

YLLS probably has the best meal preps b/c they go into macros and poo poo. Poor people thread involves a lot of batch cooking I think. Two different approaches.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hm. That's a new and slightly different nutrition label. The line for added sugars is a new FDA requirement for implementation by 2020. The old label says 1g total carbs, 1g sugar, and 80mg sodium. This suggests they just slightly tweaked things to add more vinegar or something else containing a lot of water.

That's from an amazon product page. The bottle in my fridge has the same info as yours.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Chaitai posted:

Is there a GWS Meal Prepping thread? I'm trying to get better (read: started) at meal prep but am a bit lost other than "cook a bunch of poo poo, put it in containers, eat it later in the week". Does anyone have preferred meal prep recipes or guides out there?

I make pasta, curry, or various stews, and put them in a small Rubbermaid containers. Sometimes I add a scoop of rice on top of soup/stew to bulk it up. I have the ability to eat the same thing over and over if it's tasty and well prepared. My instant pot has been a godsend for this.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Chaitai posted:

I plug everything into a calorie/macro calculator like the one myfitnesspal has, then weigh and divide by amount of servings once I'm done cooking (I try to cook 10+ servings at a time). Preferably foods that can be portioned easily, like stews. Ladle into sandwich sized ziplocks, push out the air and stack flat on top of each other, then freeze. Optional label with date cooked so you don't leave it in there too long but iirc freezer life for most foods is at least 6 months so you should be fine.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Freezer life for food is infinite, barring accidental defrost, as far as safety and nutrition goes.

Some foods will lose taste or have texture issues with long freeze times however.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Make some pupusas and heat them from frozen in the toaster. Lots of variety, you can fill them with anything. I made some zucchini hatch Chile and cheese ones that are super good today.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Annath posted:

Freezer life for food is infinite, barring accidental defrost, as far as safety and nutrition goes.

Some foods will lose taste or have texture issues with long freeze times however.

I thought the fat went rancid after six months but that's good to know.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

AnonSpore posted:

I thought the fat went rancid after six months but that's good to know.

Yup!

FoodSafety.gov posted:

The guidelines for freezer storage are for quality only. Frozen foods constantly stored at 0°F or below can be kept indefinitely.

https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Make some pupusas and heat them from frozen in the toaster. Lots of variety, you can fill them with anything. I made some zucchini hatch Chile and cheese ones that are super good today.

:yeah: we just did pupusas for the 2nd time ever and they're amazing. First time went great with ATK method. 2nd time Rachel Ray's method was underwhelming. I'm so glad we knew the ATK method so we could switch course and do the remaining 8 pupusas the better way.

ATK method: one large flattened dough, wrapped around filling like a dumpling, flattened again with filling inside.

Rachel Ray method: two medium flattened dough, filling inside, sealed like a ravioli. If you cook until the outside lip is crispy the middle isn't yet. If you griddle until the middle is crispy, the outside is overcooked.

I have no idea which way is authentic because yo soy el gringo primero.

Salsa de árbol from Nopalito was amazing, but probably would've paired better with an enchilada. I would've liked a fresher salsa here.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Don't household freezers regularly cycle up to nearer 32°F to defrost? This makes large items with a good amount of heat capacity (like the mentioned ziplock stews) fine, while small portions of, say, fresh curry leaves get mushy over just a few weeks :saddowns:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BrianBoitano posted:

:yeah: we just did pupusas for the 2nd time ever and they're amazing. First time went great with ATK method. 2nd time Rachel Ray's method was underwhelming. I'm so glad we knew the ATK method so we could switch course and do the remaining 8 pupusas the better way.

ATK method: one large flattened dough, wrapped around filling like a dumpling, flattened again with filling inside.

Rachel Ray method: two medium flattened dough, filling inside, sealed like a ravioli. If you cook until the outside lip is crispy the middle isn't yet. If you griddle until the middle is crispy, the outside is overcooked.

I have no idea which way is authentic because yo soy el gringo primero.

Salsa de árbol from Nopalito was amazing, but probably would've paired better with an enchilada. I would've liked a fresher salsa here.

The authentic way is to make a dough ball and dumpling it around the filling. It works so much better anyway. It seems harder for the first few, then it clicks (at least, did for me).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BrianBoitano posted:

Don't household freezers regularly cycle up to nearer 32°F to defrost? This makes large items with a good amount of heat capacity (like the mentioned ziplock stews) fine, while small portions of, say, fresh curry leaves get mushy over just a few weeks :saddowns:

Never buy a freezer with a defrost cycle you can't turn off.

Defrosting should be a planned event for just this reason.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

I have never heard of this before. Why would that be a thing? It instantly renders a freezer useless...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BrianBoitano posted:

?? Nothing in my freezer gets mushy. Everything is frozen hard. I keep it at 0 F.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There's a fancy butcher near my house that sells rabbit and quail. I've never had either before but I want to try them, what are some good simple recipes?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hopper posted:

I have never heard of this before. Why would that be a thing? It instantly renders a freezer useless...

Keeps you from having to use an ice pick due to condensation.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

When you open the door to your freezer, humid air gets in. Some water freezes as frost on the walls. Repeat a couple hundred times and you have a thick layer of compacted frost or ice. It's a particularly bad problem in mini fridges which have freezer sections, as the frost gets on the coils and makes your tiny freezer unusable:

I'd guess that's 2-3 years worth of frost-come-ice.

Defrost cycles give the frost a chance to evaporate, but they also accelerate freezer burn.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah well of course I know you nees to defrost occasionally, which you do by turning thevfreezer off completely at a time ot your choice on all models I have ever seen.

Automatic cycles is what boggles my mind. I mean, you really want all frozen goods used up or stored elsewhere before defrosting.

I just did it earlier this year...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Most modern full-sized residential fridges with freezers have an automatic defrost cycle which will cause a slight fluctuation in the internal temperature for something like fifteen, twenty minutes every eight or twelve hours. There's just a heating element positioned alongside the condenser coil that throws a couple hundred watts, enough to melt off any ice that's accumulated on the coil.

If this causes poo poo inside the freezer warm above freezing then it either needs to be adjusted or replaced.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
How often do you hone and sharpen your knives?
I have only two knives--a 10 inch chef's and a 4-inch paring--each of which is used about once a day. I give the knife 5 or 6 swipes with a honing steel before each use. And I take them to a professional for sharpening about once a year.
I'm thinking I should sharpen them more often. How often do you sharpen yours?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It depends on how often you use your knives. A lot of home cooks can get away with swiping a few times on the honing steel before every use and sharpening every 6-9 months.

When I was still in a kitchen, I'd be bringing out the whetstones every month or so.

These days I sharpen as soon as I start getting jagged cuts on delicate stuff like chives or scallions, so every couple months. I use a Spyderco tri sharpener and it's a lot easier and lazier than a whetstone. Cheaper in the long run than getting em sent in somewhere too.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Blender died the other day. It was a Black and Decker one that lasted us about 5 years. I need to buy a replacement but I'm trying to stick to under $50.00. What's the best option on that kind of budget? The wife mostly uses them for smoothies but it would be nice to have some versatility, and internet reviews have been widely unhelpful and contradictory.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

It depends on how often you use your knives. A lot of home cooks can get away with swiping a few times on the honing steel before every use and sharpening every 6-9 months.

When I was still in a kitchen, I'd be bringing out the whetstones every month or so.

These days I sharpen as soon as I start getting jagged cuts on delicate stuff like chives or scallions, so every couple months. I use a Spyderco tri sharpener and it's a lot easier and lazier than a whetstone. Cheaper in the long run than getting em sent in somewhere too.

Then I definitely need to sharpen more than just once a year.

What's your take on those guided sharpeners? The cheap ones with the "coarse" and "fine" sections v-shaped guides? I worry that I won't get the right angle with a sharpener or whetstone. I think that, when honing, it doesn't matter if you're a few degrees off. But sharpening should be more precise. Is that right?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I use a Sharpmaker when I notice the knife requires more effort. Maybe once a month or so. I don't really keep track.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
When I bought my Shun knives, I read a bunch of stuff where people said never to use a knife sharpener. Pretty much universally everyone was saying either learn to use a waterstone or send them back to Shun to be sharpened.

Since Shun offers free sharpening, only needing to pay shipping, I figured that's what I'd do.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We have one of the V shaped things with coarse and fine, I only use it on my wife's crappy cutlery because she's terrified of sharp knives. It improves the cutting ability but if you want to slice a tomato or loaf of bread without pushing or sawing like crazy, not gonna happen with those things. They don't ruin steel like some people claim but there is a limit to what they can do.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Against all odds my garden is going to produce a shitton of roma tomatoes, but it's very unlikely they'll all (or any) ripen before first frost. Beyond frying them up has anyone done anything preservation wise with green romas before that tastes good? I'm thinking some sort of slow cooker tomato sauce/ketchup/relish or something but trying to get some long slow cooking flavors from an unripe vegetable sounds really dumb.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 12, 2018

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
What is the alternative to teflon for non-stick skillets?

I have a ceramic pan, but it feels like the non-stick has worn off after a year of use. Should I just get a higher quality ceramic pan?

e: and I do have cast iron, which has some non-sick qualities, but it is no where near what teflon is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Against all odds my garden is going to produce a shitton of roma tomatoes, but it's very unlikely they'll all (or any) ripen before first frost. Beyond frying them up has anyone done anything preservation wise with green romas before that tastes good? I'm thinking some sort of slow cooker tomato sauce/ketchup/relish or something but trying to get some long slow cooking flavors from an unripe vegetable sounds really dumb.

My San Marzano’s have ripened off the vine, yours may too?