Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This Rogue quest where I'm supposed to be in suspense about getting back to Limsa in time would be more dramatic if I couldn't teleport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Just make a playable nu mou race and give them longer ears. Here's your bunny girls. :colbert:

hire me Square Enix

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I reached 60 on my DRK today; the quest was pretty good. I'm actually a bit behind my level in the MSQ I think. Currently I'm right before the dungeon you have to do in Dravanian Hinterlands.

Sea of Clouds is too dang big. I like the Vath quests because you can do them pretty fast, but the bird people quests take ages because you have to fly around that huge-rear end zone.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I usually combined doing the beast tribe quests with doing the hunts since if I'm going to be going all over the zone I might as well do it in such a way that gives me a double reason to fly those lengths.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lol Zenos. Should I use my second chance to be a good person? Nah, I'll just go fight the WoL again.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Rainuwastaken posted:

It's worth mentioning lots of the top end people get the guy doing parse runs, where the rest of the party treats them like a king so they can pump up their numbers. They get every enhanced balance, every dragon tether, etcetera.

It's hard to make it to 90+ without at least a little babying.

This is true-ish. You probably don't need a pocket AST or DRG to break 90th percentile, but there is at least some rationale behind the META GAME AST/SCH/BRD/NIN/DRG party core. All of those damage buffs synergize well, most of them have cooldowns that line up nicely, and getting their big numbers made even bigger makes serious parsers excited in the pants.

With that said, I do kind of suspect that people overvalue NIN, or at least Trick Attack, at the party finder-to-average static level. If your party is breaking 40000 raid DPS, sure, but if the group you're in is barely clearing the enrage on CHADarnook or whatever, a 10% party damage boost with ~16% uptime isn't going to make up for the 700ish DPS you're losing versus an equally competent SAM, BLM, or SMN, and the latter even has some (kinda crappy) party DPS boosts and a combat raise. The aggro management stuff is nice though!

edit: You can actually play around with seeing how much various buffs and debuffs are worth here. For instance, here's a perfectly unremarkable Godka kill, broken down to say how much every individual buff or boss debuff is worth.

(our NIN is still learning the job and gearing up, hence the lousy damage)

Hogama posted:

Since they had the concept art already and it's relevant...
I'm sure a lot of people are thinking of Viera like bunny-women and men

But the monkey's paw could always give bunny-fels instead

i hacked into square enix and found this SUPER-SECRET footage of a Viera work in progress

no it's not a duskwight in bunny ears why would you spread such lies

the warrior of light is extremely concerned about these shenanigans

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 12, 2018

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't done it because the price for materia got dumpstered recently so it's not worth the effort

Command V's are like 90k and VI's are around 220k a piece? Anything that isn't crafter/gatherer is loving worthless

Bolow fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 12, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

super sweet best pal posted:

lol Zenos. Should I use my second chance to be a good person? Nah, I'll just go fight the WoL again.

Yeah. He owns.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ytlaya posted:

Sea of Clouds is too dang big. I like the Vath quests because you can do them pretty fast, but the bird people quests take ages because you have to fly around that huge-rear end zone.

Also, the Vanu Vanu have smaller reputation gains. :shepicide:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
How the gently caress do they manage to make Eureka even worse? :psyduck: Anemos was a worthless pain at first but if you wanted pretty glimglams while putting in bare minimum effort, just joining a FATE train with your friends while shooting the poo poo on voice chat was quite alright for a lil' while. I came to Pagos expecting that they had learned from the terrible reception that Eureka received, but they've literally doubled down and made everything that was bad about Anemos even worse. FATEs spawn a lot less, the mob density seems to be higher, the topography is all over the place leaving you easily lost or dead somewhere inaccessible, they removed your ability to mount up for arbitrary reasons, and the only and literally only way to level up in any reasonable sane pace right now is to grind monsters in chains of maximum 30 where the only substantial XP comes from every tenth mob killed. This is honestly making me reconsider this entire game because if this is what developer efforts are going into, then gently caress this poo poo.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So who are this man and woman punching one another in the intro?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Safeword posted:

you and a spoiler character

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Safeword posted:

Self Insert Midlander that's in all the FMVs, and uh keep playing to find out who the girl is.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
~my wife~

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Safeword posted:

The Warrior of Light, represented here as a Hyur wearing the Level 70 Monk Gear, and some girl who probably isn't that important. :v:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
She is definitely not a character with a Dancer Job Stone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

How the gently caress do they manage to make Eureka even worse? :psyduck: Anemos was a worthless pain at first but if you wanted pretty glimglams while putting in bare minimum effort, just joining a FATE train with your friends while shooting the poo poo on voice chat was quite alright for a lil' while. I came to Pagos expecting that they had learned from the terrible reception that Eureka received, but they've literally doubled down and made everything that was bad about Anemos even worse. FATEs spawn a lot less, the mob density seems to be higher, the topography is all over the place leaving you easily lost or dead somewhere inaccessible, they removed your ability to mount up for arbitrary reasons, and the only and literally only way to level up in any reasonable sane pace right now is to grind monsters in chains of maximum 30 where the only substantial XP comes from every tenth mob killed. This is honestly making me reconsider this entire game because if this is what developer efforts are going into, then gently caress this poo poo.

Yeah, I'm still at Level 24 because people will not stay in parties once NMs are over with, and mob EXP is lame to grind, and then the Challenge Log is once a week instead of once a day and

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Guys, help. I actually want to play Eureka Pagos. :ohdear:

I don't know what demon possessed me to say this, but I want it excised right now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Safeword posted:

The guy is the WoL of Cutscene World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag2cRTU-Og8

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, I'm still at Level 24 because people will not stay in parties once NMs are over with, and mob EXP is lame to grind, and then the Challenge Log is once a week instead of once a day and

I got into a chain party. Spent half an hour boredly killing the same kind of mob over and over again...and got half a level. from 20. Killing...level 25 mobs I think. The part that angers me the most is that this was supposed to be the relic. The way for solo players to get weapon upgrades at their own pace without having to do savage. They totally threw that out the window.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know what demon possessed me to say this, but I want it excised right now.

If Pagos was just Anemos 2 it would have been an OK statement. But Pagos went and stripped any elements of not poo poo design and multiplied the poo poo by 10. And the cherry on top is the weapon is only 370. I've already got Kefka Savage weapons for all my jobs, and for people who just want a 370 the 24 man had the Solvent added to it's tradein vendor too this week. Like if this came out on 4.3 release it might have had a purpose, but as it stands Pagos is some nearly pointless bullshit i'm only doing for seeing what they do with XIV Galuf.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I am glad I read about Pagos before resubbing. I thought I could just afk/chat through it like Anemos. But it seems to be so bad that even JP players dislike it? I will just wait what 4.4 has to offer. Same old same old.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 12, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is it really so hard to make a fun version of Eureka? All you need is to give some quests or miniature goals to complete so it feels like I'm moving forward instead of spinning my wheels killing 300 of the same enemy.

Do something with the expedition camp, for goodness's sake.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is it really so hard to make a fun version of Eureka? All you need is to give some quests or miniature goals to complete so it feels like I'm moving forward instead of spinning my wheels killing 300 of the same enemy.

Do something with the expedition camp, for goodness's sake.

The place is screaming for daily repeatable quests like the beast tribes. I unlocked the place first day but have been too busy killing Rathalos a bunch to actually bother to enter it.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Any time I think of complaining about WoW's end game open world zones I remember FFXIV's attempts and everything seems not quite as bad. WoW's could be better, but hooboy could they be a lot worse.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mostly it's amazing to me how they fixed literally nothing that was wrong with Eureka and instead, somehow, made things worse instead. :psyduck: At least Anemos was kind of okay once you got to 14-15+ and could get rewards from the NM train, but apparently the devs really loving wanted you to do FFXI style chain pulls instead. I gave it a few hours, got to 22, and decided to never set foot in there again. I'll miss the anima weapon skins, but I have other actually fun things to do instead.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I'm an Anemos apologist and even I can't find anything redeeming in Pagos other than "the zone is real pretty I guess". I was excited to finally finish a relic on-patch with Stormblood, thinking each stage would be a pretty painless NM grind like Anemos. But if SE is going to throw a hissy fit and gut the fates, I don't think I'm interested.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm an Anemos apologist and even I can't find anything redeeming in Pagos other than "the zone is real pretty I guess". I was excited to finally finish a relic on-patch with Stormblood, thinking each stage would be a pretty painless NM grind like Anemos. But if SE is going to throw a hissy fit and gut the fates, I don't think I'm interested.

I don't even have those feelings about the appearance because I loving hate snow/ice zones in games.

I was probably the biggest Anemos apologist in this thread and holy gently caress does Pagos suck rear end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, the Vanu Vanu have smaller reputation gains. :shepicide:

I feel like Sea of Clouds really needs another aetherite somewhere towards the eastern side of the zone. There are two, but one is in the southwest and the other is in the west, so they're not in remotely optimal locations.

Stalins Moustache posted:

While I have never played this Eureka you're talking about, your description is reminding me of playing FFXI in high school back when it first came out (what with the "joining parties and mindlessly chaining mobs for ages" thing).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 13, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I got SMN and SCH, tried getting into a dungeon as SCH and got matched with sprouts at Haukke Manor. The tank said they forgot about the place (and ignored the first room where the first key was), we wiped due to overpulling Succubi, the THM facepulled ahead of the group, and no one else tried to put the Void Lamps out (we almost wiped due to the tank not bothering to aggro the trash, which went to me instead).

So... how do I play SCH? At level 31 I don't seem to have an equivalent to Medica, have a vanilla heal and a heal with shield... I guess I use shield+heal on the tank, then? Which fairy should I have out? I summoned Eos before the final boss and I think that might have prevented us from wiping.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Ytlaya posted:

While I have never played this Eureka you're talking about, your description is reminding me of playing FFXI in high school back when it first came out (what with the "joining parties and mindlessly chaining mobs for ages" thing).

That's exactly what it is.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The big problem as I see it is, FFXI had much slower combat. Your rotation was not nearly as intense, so you had more time to zone out, relax, and chill with friends. A lot of other old, grindy MMOs were very similar. I cut my teeth on Ragnarok Online, a game where half the classes fought monsters by clicking on an enemy and waiting.

But in XIV, the chain mechanic forces you to absolutely crank your DPS as high as it will go the entire time. It's mentally exhausting, and you don't level nearly as fast as in similar grindy games. I just can't endure an hour straight of "high" effort only to gain half a level. That isn't relaxing or fun to me at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ That's true. While I also had a lot more tolerance for tedium as a teenager, I remember it was at least pretty fun socially, and it was fun to chat with various people from all over the country/world (which used to be pretty novel Back In The Day).

(One thing I distinctly remember is that having a female avatar actually made a lot of people assume you were actually a girl back in ~2002. I remember a bunch of people being very friendly to my hume WHM.)

Vadoc posted:

That's exactly what it is.

FFXI is kind of amazing to think back on; I remember grinding for several hours non-stop with a group in the desert while in the teen levels and being happy with the efficiency of gaining one level from that. It was a "good night" if a group managed to stay together for more than a half hour or so (which was easier said than done, since my friend and I didn't have any kind of linkshell/guild, so we just had to hope that we could find other players who also had the next few hours to kill, since filling empty slots could take hours). According to my friend who kept playing FFXI for many years after I stopped, it became more lenient later (to the point where there were even ways to level solo for non-BST classes without a group), but the earlier experience was certainly A Thing.

Maybe the JP player base likes the Eureka thing more? Though given the rest of FFXIV it seems like they must also respond well to losing a lot of the old MMO trappings that FFXI (and apparently 1.0 of FFXIV) had.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 13, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eureka was designed by one of the FF11 leads, it's as explicit as a throwback as one can get that isn't like WoW: Classic or playing Ragnarok Online. As for the JP players being more into it, it's definitely been used as a hand wave excuse on forums and whatnot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I hope it doesn't happen but there would be a certain irony if FFXIV died because Yoshi-P looked away and all the grogs ran back in and started trying to do FFXI-2. Without sexy clubwear outfits, even.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
AFAICT the intended way of doing Pagos seems to be to form a group and do your weekly challenge logs while hitting any NMS that happen to spawn in that time, then leave the instance and not come back until next week. I actually don't think this is an unreasonable design goal, but it's still incredibly boring and also out of step with a player base which wants to get all the grinding out of the way as fast as possible.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I was worried FFXIV would go down as the 'good' final fantasy but thank god eureka exist and Every Final Fantasy Is The Worst

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Schneider Heim posted:

I got SMN and SCH, tried getting into a dungeon as SCH and got matched with sprouts at Haukke Manor. The tank said they forgot about the place (and ignored the first room where the first key was), we wiped due to overpulling Succubi, the THM facepulled ahead of the group, and no one else tried to put the Void Lamps out (we almost wiped due to the tank not bothering to aggro the trash, which went to me instead).

So... how do I play SCH? At level 31 I don't seem to have an equivalent to Medica, have a vanilla heal and a heal with shield... I guess I use shield+heal on the tank, then? Which fairy should I have out? I summoned Eos before the final boss and I think that might have prevented us from wiping.

Have Eos out 100% of the time in dungeons when you're just starting out (Selene is pretty situational anyway). Your Medica equivalent is Whispering Dawn, and you get an AoE shield at 35. I recommend binding the last three pet actions slots to keys, and also having a bind to move your fairy and recall it to you (though this really isn't necessary). You should basically be putting Adlo on the tank before the pull, then dps'ing while your fairy takes over healing. You want to be as proactive as possible with shields as scholar doesn't get a good single target heal until 50.

And on the discussion of Eureka, how exactly do they intend for new players to earn the anemos weapons in two years time? I know they made relics and animas easier, but they're also done solo outside of dungeons.

Banjo Kaczynski fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 13, 2018

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

pupuru posted:

And on the discussion of Eureka, how exactly do they intend for new players to earn the anemos weapons in two years time?
Hell, I'm wondering how they expect people to get the final eureka weapons this expansion considering you'd have to grind every time, with the net effect of the playerbase actually being interested in this poo poo winding up getting more and more divided across a wider level range and multiple zones. You're already seeing a lot of people giving up with Pagos, and even if they somehow fix the next zone(s) you'll still have that lovely wall for people to grind through to get to it.

It's insanely poorly designed and I really expected a lot better from the FFXIV team.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rainuwastaken posted:

But in XIV, the chain mechanic forces you to absolutely crank your DPS as high as it will go the entire time. It's mentally exhausting, and you don't level nearly as fast as in similar grindy games. I just can't endure an hour straight of "high" effort only to gain half a level. That isn't relaxing or fun to me at all.

This is the really annoying bit. All the enemies have infinity defense, so you need to have everyone doing top tier DPS or else your chain will drop. Not only that, but apparently there's a glitch where some kills aren't registering and your chain will die anyway. So you can't even turn your brain off and grind mindlessly. You have to grind with a lot of effort for very little reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The dumbest part about eureka is they made it as hard as possible to do this content with your friends unless you progress at the exact same rate as them.