Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kloaked00 posted:

Maybe I’m being dumb, but why would Blue Morpho be Vendata?

Ah ok, so remember that episode where Vendata is like beaten up to hell, he goes where's my wife, I think the plane is going down. Alot of people speculated that that's Monarch's dad because his dad died in a plane crash, not to mention the fact the theory he worked for Jonas, and then here we proof that he worked with Jonas as Blue Morpho, so yeah. Plus he's been out of the picture so I wouldn't be suprirsed if it ends up being him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Kloaked00 posted:

Spoilers/speculation ahoy:

Blue Morpho was established as Monarch's dad last season, in that the Morpho Cave was in the basement of Monarch's childhood home and he recognized Morpho as his dad in some videos. There's also been a runner since season 4(?) that Monarch's parents were friendly with Jonas Sr. and Team Venture, when Monarch finds the picture of them all having a cookout together along with baby Monarch and baby Rusty.
Vendata's backstory/data dump from season five is that he's a cyborg who previously was known as Venturion, a Team Venture member who got hosed up/died and turned into a cyborg in 1976, then went 'bad' somehow while Rusty was still a kid. Guild records mentioned when Monarch-as-Morpho reappeared last season indicated that they thought Blue Morpho was killed in 1976.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 12, 2018

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Kloaked00 posted:

Vendata has been implied to be the Monarch's father since before Blue Morpho appeared. Monarch's father died in a plane crash and Vendata's last memories before becoming a cyborg was of a plane crashing. Also the original Blue Morpho's bounty was claimed in 1976, the same year Vendata was built. By Venture Industries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It does seem like something they were setting up for a long time, though I think the whole Blue Morpho identity[/i] might be a recent addition.

We were right about [spoiler] Wide Wale being Dr Dugong's brother. (Dr Doug Ong was noticeably pinker than I remember) Might be funny if those two have to try to reconcile now and Sirena wants to get to know her uncle.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 12, 2018

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hey uh you didn't mark those spoilers properly, some people haven't seen episode 2 yet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Okay, fair. Sorted.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okay, fair. Sorted.

Thanks, regarding your spoiler.

It's kinda great in the book they did mention they left that little hint that Wide Wale's brother was Dugong, which would make the whole him taking Monarch's arching of Dr. Venture, as we thought more of a personal revenge than business.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Ghost Robot should go on more dates

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Ah, I had forgotten that part about Vendata’s background. Makes much more sense now. Thanks!

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Vendata's original design even had the same overbite as Monarch

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

The World Inferno posted:

For anyone who's seen the second episode already, any bets on what the shirt's gonna be? I can't say I remember a logo sticking out anywhere.

My guess is Enrico Matassa

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Comrade Quack posted:

My guess is Enrico Matassa

Extremely Hank

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Ghost Robot should go on more dates

We need a gif of when he turns to Brock and winks

Fingers... fingers... fingers...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
The Venture Bros.: Brick-Throwing and Frog-Being!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

God damnit I love this show. I think half my posts in this thread are just saying that but I can’t say it enough.

gently caress. Like, too much.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought the second episode was overwritten and the way they ‘fleshed out’ Red Death to talk like Gumshoe Hank on a hot case really killed my vibe and made him way more of a dork and way less of the ethereal force of nature previous episodes painted him as

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think Red Death is meant to be a "force of nature" so much as "a genuine psycho, where everybody else here is at best a really creative and enthusiastic rear end in a top hat."

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

both of these episodes were supposed to be the season 6 ending right? adding that to the actually last episode of season 6, it's nice to know they planned a 3 episode arc of Red Death being a sweet and wonderful family man.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tarlibone posted:

The Venture Bros.: Brick-Throwing and Frog-Being!
I know there's already a planned title from ep 2 I hope this is it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think Red Death is meant to be a "force of nature" so much as "a genuine psycho, where everybody else here is at best a really creative and enthusiastic rear end in a top hat."

Yeah exactly, he's supposed to be a Patrick Bateman type of character.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OG Team Venture got themselves a hell of a Lyft driver.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah exactly, he's supposed to be a Patrick Bateman type of character.

He's not Bateman. The point of Bateman is that he completely lost his humanity and puts on a bad act to hide it. Red Death doesn't hide anything, he still has his humanity and it coexists with his monstrosity, that's the joke

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Red Death is Dexter Morgan

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought the second episode was overwritten and the way they ‘fleshed out’ Red Death to talk like Gumshoe Hank on a hot case really killed my vibe and made him way more of a dork and way less of the ethereal force of nature previous episodes painted him as

I thought they leaned a little too hard into the Jaws parody, myself. Although that may be because I just rewatched that movie like a month ago.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if he's a directly referencing something (I mean, probably since it's Venture Bros.), but he's certainly a vehicle for speeches ripped from movies. Obviously he did the Taken speech and the Jaws speech. I wouldn't be surprised if his speech about everyone getting blown out of the airlock was from a movie too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know if he's a directly referencing something (I mean, probably since it's Venture Bros.), but he's certainly a vehicle for speeches ripped from movies. Obviously he did the Taken speech and the Jaws speech. I wouldn't be surprised if his speech about everyone getting blown out of the airlock was from a movie too.

The only thing that comes to mind is Laurence Fishburne's recollection of watching fire in zero-gravity coupled with the scene of the guy getting blown out the airlock in Event Horizon along with the copious amounts of detail given to him on how to survive the experience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Like one of Red Death’s super powers is he can just find anyone? Like multiple times he just zooms to wherever someone is with literally no explanation, he kills without remorse, and even the guild council are all afraid of him. The only people we’ve seen on that level in the show are the 3 red guys and Killinger.

I really did miss this show but the Dr. Dugong plot was extremely disappointing

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Like one of Red Death’s super powers is he can just find anyone? Like multiple times he just zooms to wherever someone is with literally no explanation, he kills without remorse, and even the guild council are all afraid of him. The only people we’ve seen on that level in the show are the 3 red guys and Killinger.

I really did miss this show but the Dr. Dugong plot was extremely disappointing
Easy to miss as they talk about it in dialogue, but Mrs. The Monarch is the one who knows Dr.Dugong still alive (apparently?) and points in the direction of the fake OSI office to find out where they are hiding him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
my issue is specifically that’s now two completely separate characters whose death has had massive implications for a number of characters and WHOOPS SURPRISE THEY AREN’T DEAD like you really had to recycle the most boring gotcha plot device ever twice in the same story with different characters?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

PostNouveau posted:

Well it's also a Jaws scene - Quint's speech about the WW2 ship he was on.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

my issue is specifically that’s now two completely separate characters whose death has had massive implications for a number of characters and WHOOPS SURPRISE THEY AREN’T DEAD like you really had to recycle the most boring gotcha plot device ever twice in the same story with different characters?

There has to be more than just two

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
New shirt is out; it's the blue morpho on modern enemy monthly it's beautiful :D

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Now THAT is a minty fresh shirt

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Rocko looks like Jon Bernthal as the Punisher

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Question Friend posted:

He's not Bateman. The point of Bateman is that he completely lost his humanity and puts on a bad act to hide it. Red Death doesn't hide anything, he still has his humanity and it coexists with his monstrosity, that's the joke

Plus Bateman is basically a loser in his social circle who's effectively lashing out because of this; Red Death is an otherwise decent family man with a particular hobby.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 13, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know there's already a planned title from ep 2 I hope this is it.

I would also accept I dressed-a myself like a Juggalo, sir!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Red Death, based on Ep2

Seems to be one of the very few villians who respects The Monarch AND also think the rest of the Guild are basically idiots. Which is true - the Guild is just full of idiots and the Monarch - when he's not arching Venture - really can be quite dangerous

Great episode again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Red Death, based on Ep2

Seems to be one of the very few villians who respects The Monarch AND also think the rest of the Guild are basically idiots. Which is true - the Guild is just full of idiots and the Monarch - when he's not arching Venture - really can be quite dangerous

Great episode again

Oddly enough makes a degree of sense; they actually have a bit in common. The Monarch is also willing to break the Guild's rules and actually has passion for arching, rather than just doing it for something to do, to pay the bills or to climb the ladder like a lot of the guild, and arches on his own terms and no one else's. And he's also got a family he's trying to balance with his passion. Red Death is flat out encouraging the Monarch to be more like him- starting with finally killing Dr Venture to he's no longer held back by a single fixation. Reminding me oddly of Dr Killinger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hedrigall posted:

Well it's also a Jaws scene - Quint's speech about the WW2 ship he was on.

Yeah, the monologue while looking at the OSI records was Quint's Indianapolis speech.