Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Put your strongest character in the middle with the heavy dark resist accessory, use TGM or something similar to get Shellga up before the second hit.

If you can't afford to do the latter, then have the middle character Defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Red Soul is hard even if you have the kit that's supposed to make it easy (Maria's good poo poo, basically). It still feels really overtuned for a lot of reasons, including that for most people FF2 is one of their worst realms because it's an unpopular game, it's largely excluded from luckies and event banners, and most of the characters from it are really mediocre outside of FF2 synergy dungeons.

even when i obsessively geared everything to take every advantage i could (and actually did manage to vaporize the ogre mages fairly quickly) my earth mages were hitting red soul like a wet noodle. admittedly my earth magic damage options aren't exactly top of the line but it was insane how little damage he was taking from what was ostensibly his weakness and how much of it he had to suck down before he died

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yoooo what's up with the FF12 torment? An 80% AoE right off the bat and a 7k attack to the middle character all before a healing SB can possibly go off.

What are you supposed to do?

Equip dark resist accs and give your major resist one to the middle character, also dark resist magicite can't hurt either. Unlike other torments, dark is literally the only element in this fight, so you don't have to worry about anything else.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Equip dark resist accs and give your major resist one to the middle character, also dark resist magicite can't hurt either. Unlike other torments, dark is literally the only element in this fight, so you don't have to worry about anything else.

Thanks. Looks like character order matters. Ugh. I already have resist accessories so I just need to reorder my nerds.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It matters a lot. Speaking of which, someone on reddit posted a neat little visual guide for torments: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w5dMMlm94X7npBD0P6Oyfc4QhZKsmXOcFmLgFmUGNyA/edit#gid=1153265540

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Red Soul remains endgame content to this day, gently caress that fight

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

it's not going to be as helpful as pointing out the easiest ones but i think someone earlier mentioned the hardest ones are: red soul in ff2, the three sisters in ff4, and the ff15 one. as someone who's more or less stacked to the nines and did the former two just today i'm pretty sure it's accurate

Perhaps ironically, I'm so loaded on lightning stuff that I'm only a little bit short of doing the FF15 JS. Many of the others want things I don't have at the moment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Perhaps ironically, I'm so loaded on lightning stuff that I'm only a little bit short of doing the FF15 JS. Many of the others want things I don't have at the moment.

That's the other factor. Bartz was my first strong character and has great elemental coverage, so I had a solid core to build a lot of teams around even if other folks weren't optimal. Lightning and dark have been my weak spots for a while, though not nearly as weak as they used to be.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

For these nightmare fights that require me to inflict a certain status on the boss to master it, what’s the best type to do that with? Also is there a better strategy to it than “hope it works or else restart the fight”? This seems dumb and I don’t like it.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Depends on lots of things. What boss are you looking at? Also remember for one-off boss battles, you can afford to lose a total of 3 medals and still get Mastery.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yoooo what's up with the FF12 torment? An 80% AoE right off the bat and a 7k attack to the middle character all before a healing SB can possibly go off.

What are you supposed to do?

Another answer that may help you: I put TGM RM on my healer and had them cast Curada on the middle person as their first turn. This was enough to keep Basch alive with only a medium dark resist accessory. I do also have two level 10 dark resists in magicites.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Same here. I don't have any Level 99 characters, upgraded gear, or skills like Shout. Oh well.

Shout is in Book 5 of the Acolyte Archives, it's totally worth picking when you get to that stage if you don't already have a later version of a Boostga.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The nice thing about Zodiark is that he uses Dark but he doesn't absorb it, so I was able to shove Gabranth with his endark LM in the middle slot, and the endark meant he tanked it like a boss, and then he was able to be a solid DPS.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So I decided to tackle the new torments finally, at least for the first two stages of FFT and FFV. I don't have a chance in hell of the D??? Since I'm missing some key relics for every realm.

FFT, nothing crazy, TGCid made it trivial to sub 30.

FFV, holy poo poo Bartz. I RNGed into the sub 30, I don't think I'd be able to do it again with what I have, not easily.

With about 6 seconds to go, Bartz quintuple casted Snowspell strike. With 2 seconds to go he quad casted. It still took one more D&S from Faris to finish it at about 29 seconds.

Giving Bartz LM2, LMR and spellblade DC RM is totally the way to go with these chains. 360k damage in two turns is awesome and clutch as hell.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
If you have an Exdeath soul break that acts as a Runic for the FF2 Jump Start, it ends up not being that bad. It still can get tricky as heck, though but it does give you some breathing room to heal from time to time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there a better use these days for job motes that unlock crummy skills than repeatedly buying the skills and smashing them for crystals? i was checking on my 5* mote amounts from smashing out a lot of these jump starts and noticed i have a decent amount of them collecting cobwebs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You'll need them to unlock 6* access for characters when we start getting non-crummy abilities for those jobs. Job motes are still in limited quantity and will be for the foreseeable future, while crystals are not.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
These jumpstarts are quite stressful haha.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

it's not going to be as helpful as pointing out the easiest ones but i think someone earlier mentioned the hardest ones are: red soul in ff2, the three sisters in ff4, and the ff15 one. as someone who's more or less stacked to the nines and did the former two just today i'm pretty sure it's accurate

I'd also avoid Proudclad (the FF13 one) unless you have really, really good Lightning Element DPS or a sustainable source of Last Stand. It's a raw damage race and you have a lot of HP to chew through in a very, very short time.

EDIT: Thumbing through the Jump Starts and trying to remember the trouble or lack thereof I had, the easiest ones (in no particular order) I'd think are Guardian (FF3), Odin (FF3), Shelke (FF7), Deathguise (FF9), Zalmour (FFT), Millueda (FFT), and Dainsleif (Type 0). Most of those, Dainsleif excepted, are designed to be taken down with whatever you have since they don't have any weaknesses or resistances, have pretty predictable patterns (or completely predictable, depending), and can be rushed down with raw brute force generally.

Other JS clears depend on how good your elemental game is, usually, though most of them are okay if you have decent 5* hones, a good BSB or two, and Godwall RW'd.

EDIT 2: Avoid the FF1/FF2/FF4 Jump Starts completely and utterly unless you're drat confident in your abilities. They're bullshit. FF10's and FF13's are no cakewalk, either.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 12, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will say a couple of jumpstarts i had been avoiding based on mode switching chicanery (barbariccia and chardonook stick out, maybe a rubicante one?) turned out incredibly easy for what i was expecting. i ate barbariccia before she even went into tornado form (thus missing out on the medals but still got mastery so whatever), and one holy attack to bop the goddess to a demon and one fire attack to bop the demon so orlandeau could hit him and he got munched without a fight

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ripley posted:

Shout is in Book 5 of the Acolyte Archives, it's totally worth picking when you get to that stage if you don't already have a later version of a Boostga.

The Raid Dungeon and Phantom Train (Ultima Record) are the roadblocks for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

EDIT: Thumbing through the Jump Starts and trying to remember the trouble or lack thereof I had, the easiest ones (in no particular order) I'd think are Guardian (FF3), Odin (FF3), Shelke (FF7), Deathguise (FF9), Zalmour (FFT), Millueda (FFT), and Dainsleif (Type 0). Most of those, Dainsleif excepted, are designed to be taken down with whatever you have since they don't have any weaknesses or resistances, have pretty predictable patterns (or completely predictable, depending), and can be rushed down with raw brute force generally.

Guardian: Wiped my party pretty quick, through DVG from my RW. My Soul Break damage was about 1,000 per hit.
Odin: Wiped my party before I could do anything.
Shelke: Wiped my party almost instantly. The only Soul Break I got off did 600 damage per hit.
Deathguise: Started with Meteor and wiped half my team, then one shot the rest before I could do anything other than use DVG from my RW.
Zalmour: Wipe my team through DVG while I was trying to get my second round of SB off.
Millueda: Wiped my party pretty quickly. Took out my healer first thing.

Jump Starts are a no-go for me. It is what it is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What kind of buffs do you have? Are you bringing proper mitigation (wall, proshellga) and getting that up first?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TIL that under the new mission system, if you finish a battle after the event ends, you don't get to claim the mission reward, which I don't think is how the old CMs worked. RIP that 2 million gil I guess.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Today was very fruitful. After a janky and disappointing clear on Marilith I went for Igsebind. With a 2.0 chain I was able to put him on ice pretty easily, thanks to most of my Fire team using ranged attacks. I'm gonna sit and farm this one for a bit to improve my ice teams and get myself ready for Tiamat who I hear is a bit of a pain. I've also been leveling Cores alongside Magicite, I got Spellblade and Magus and Ninja up for all their convenient autoattacks, and now it's just a matter of convenience as I get more. So yeah, as I get ready, I feel like I'm starting to really understand and get there with the 4*s. Hopefully I can beat up enough to reach the promised land of Evrae.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
tempted to pull on this second XII banner if only cuz one of the medica USBs or reks USB would go a long way to making my threadbare XII team torment feasible 🤔

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The next FFXII banner has penelo’s usb2 which seems tailor made for the torment, plus an aosb which is also needed to cheese his palings I believe. Though notably it’s missing a boostga.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

how far off is that next XII banner?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

5 months afaik, here’s the link: https://old.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/90cihv/the_sky_where_freedom_spins_jp_relic_draw_thread/

Bash usb2 not being on there really hurts though it’s better for dps and healing.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 13, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Hmmm so it's actually banner 1 I want to pull on for Basch USB? I'm at 380 mythril atm I could probably afford a cheeky pull 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

For torment? Yea as you probably will need to run a mixed team anyway. Fran’s kit actually works there too as it likes to buff itself and she can counter that, and it does have Penelo’s last stand bsb which might be eveb better than usb1 for it. And then Vaan is fine and Ashe is actually good even outside of torments.

It’s main issue is that Ashe aside the stuff is just kind of meh outside of the torment, hence torment trap.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Cleared out all the Jumpstarts, and also this.

Die die die you loving fucker.

...Seven more to go!

Any tips for Tiamat? I don't have a chain for this one.

Relevant Ice DPS: Montblanc USB, Ysayle USB, Vivi BSB2 (LD), Celes BSB2 (LD)
Healer Stuff: Alma BSB (MBlink), Yshtola BSB/Relm USB (Stoneskin), Arc SSB (PBlink), Relm BSB (Last Stand)
Other: Godwall, Ace BSB

I don't mind grinding Isgebind a bunch to inherit some stuff over if it'll make it easier.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Cleared out all the Jumpstarts, and also this.

Die die die you loving fucker.

...Seven more to go!

Any tips for Tiamat? I don't have a chain for this one.

Relevant Ice DPS: Montblanc USB, Ysayle USB, Vivi BSB2 (LD), Celes BSB2 (LD)
Healer Stuff: Alma BSB (MBlink), Yshtola BSB/Relm USB (Stoneskin), Arc SSB (PBlink), Relm BSB (Last Stand)
Other: Godwall, Ace BSB

I don't mind grinding Isgebind a bunch to inherit some stuff over if it'll make it easier.

Tiamat is the hardest 4* magicite in general. From that list I would recommend you use Relm BSB for Last Stand and bring 2 other characters to Wrath/Entrust to Relm to spam that BSB while the other 2 do all the damage. It will take some time to get a rhythm going but I think it's possible.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I pulled on the water banner twice in a moment of weakness with no dupes whatsoever. My heart still hurts..never again.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Well don't just leave us hanging, what did you get?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I got my first Paine relic, her lmr.

My first yuffie relic, bsb2.

And tidus' lmr. I want a dang disco ball.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Could have been worse, the bsb and Tidus lmr are actually usable - Yuffie might actually do just fine with this and dual casting the water ninja skills. :glomp:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Avalerion posted:

Could have been worse, the bsb and Tidus lmr are actually usable - Yuffie might actually do just fine with this and dual casting the water ninja skills. :glomp:

She will, also she will make tidus better.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can it alone replace my wakka USB imperil bot? Or is she more of a second dps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You know another awesome thing about Bartz that just dawned on me for the first time when I was doing Water Stuff with Tidus's chain: stuff like his USB make him crazy good at exploiting chains.

I realize I'm probably the last person in the world to notice, but hey. Bartz is such a good boy and the dive I least regret.