Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

dupersaurus posted:

Killing a citizen with military action without due process is — at a philosophical What is America sense — not a great look, and feeds into a lot of conspiratorial narratives about the big bad government hiding its misdeeds.

Give police F-15s then :peanut: Is stealing an aircraft a federal crime, or would every state need its own air force?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Federal crime

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

Sagebrush posted:

he might be planning to crash it into the space needle.

This was exactly where my mind went. I couldn't suppress the laugh that came out when I thought what it would be like to have that happen to the needle only weeks after the thing went through a 100 million dollar renovation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Buttcoin purse posted:

Give police F-15s then :peanut: Is stealing an aircraft a federal crime, or would every state need its own air force?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x70o5lTd1U

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Buttcoin purse posted:

would every state need its own air force?

They have them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_National_Guard

Which is indeed who scrambled for this mission, specifically the Oregon ANG. (at least according to Tyler Rogoway)

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1028123913090260993

Obviously they have a complex relationship with the active duty USAF, but the ANG can be thought of in broad terms as "a state's air force". They're generally the ones who are standing those alerts to, y'know, guard the nation in cases like this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They have them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_National_Guard

Which is indeed who scrambled for this mission, specifically the Oregon ANG. (at least according to Tyler Rogoway)

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1028123913090260993

Obviously they have a complex relationship with the active duty USAF, but the ANG can be thought of in broad terms as "a state's air force". They're generally the ones who are standing those alerts to, y'know, guard the nation in cases like this.

Yes but by that logic Oregon responded to a crime in Washington using Massachusetts hardware.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Isn't it weird that we have Army and Air National Guards, but coastal states don't have, like, a Navy National Guard?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FuturePastNow posted:

Isn't it weird that we have Army and Air National Guards, but coastal states don't have, like, a Navy National Guard?

It’s the Naval Reserve.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Interesting tidbit - they eventually managed to scramble some F-16s for the last flight on 9/11 but the F-16s were unarmed.

They were aware of what had happened in NYC and planned to ram United 93 to bring it down.

quote:

A third plane hit the Pentagon, and almost at once came word that a fourth plane could be on the way, maybe more. The jets would be armed within an hour, but somebody had to fly now, weapons or no weapons.

“Lucky, you’re coming with me,” barked Col. Marc Sasseville.

They were gearing up in the pre-flight life-support area when Sasseville, struggling into his flight suit, met her eye.

“I’m going to go for the cockpit,” Sasseville said.

She replied without hesitating.

“I’ll take the tail.”

It was a plan. And a pact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.d12aca313610

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

ulmont posted:

It’s the Naval Reserve.

Well that's a part of the Navy, and the Navy's equivalent to the Air Force Reserve and Army Reserve, not National Guard or Air National Guard

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EDIT: Beaten like SeaTac ground clearance.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Imagine a Guard for Coastal states. A "Coast Guard" if you will...

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I was hoping for a Beach Force.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Qanon guys are just upset they didn't get invited to the Ketron Island alt-flight rally

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Coast Guards are federal level, and not covered by the National Guard Bureau. Also they're ultimately under Homeland Security rather than Defense, contrarily to the Army and Air NG. Contrarily to the NGs, the CG are not a reserve component, and in fact they have their own reserve component. It's just that the Army and Air Force have two reserve component, one of which each is a national guard.

The Marines also have no National Guard equivalent, and that' probably for the best.

And then there are State Defense Forces, which are distinct from the National Guards in that they are fully at the state level and can't be called upon by the Federal State, except indirectly by drafting their personnel.

The closest thing to a Navy National Guard would probably be the Naval Militias, which have some sort of weird hybrid status somewhere between a State Defense Force and a National Guard.

And then there are the various Auxiliaries, that are considered civilians but can in some circumstances be armed. Basically the organization of the US military forces is complex and confusing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

I was hoping for a Beach Force.

Their motto:
"Forever and always, they're always there"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes but by that logic Oregon responded to a crime in Washington using Massachusetts hardware.

Ah, a loose collection of state militias working together for the common defense, just as the founding fathers envisioned. :smug:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Texas should have Marines, to reclaim eastern New Mexico and parts of Colorado.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Just wiki'ed state defense forces; wowie zowie I've never heard of this

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blugu64 posted:

Texas should have Marines, to reclaim eastern New Mexico and parts of Colorado.

Texas has plenty of police willing to commit crimes :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

vessbot posted:

I'd seen the Virginia Defense Force at gun shows but just assumed they were some racist hick survivalist militia wearing BDUs to feel tough. Which to be fair they probably are, they just have official sponsorship.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

fknlo posted:

If he hadn't been talking to ATC I pretty much assume that they would have shot him down.

gently caress no. Like...there's actual training for this poo poo, and procedures and whatnot, and it's simmed all the goddamned time, and the USAF ends up running intercepts on doctors joyriding several times per year because nobody bothers to read NOTAMS.

hobbesmaster posted:

I’d be shocked if there weren’t standing orders regarding the situation in which you can shoot down an airliner.

Yeah.

NORAD/NORTHCOM have ROE in place, that crews are trained to and familiar with, and have to be qualified on before they get to sit alert.

Source: Me. I've controlled these missions from AWACS and from civilian ATC (didn't have any fighters for that one, but I did get to make guard calls that were actually heeded, with a Secret Service agent sitting next to me). I've sat alert, and been retasked mid-mission.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 12, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Godholio posted:

gently caress no. Like...there's actual training for this poo poo, and procedures and whatnot, and it's simmed all the goddamned time, and the USAF ends up running intercepts on doctors joyriding several times per year because nobody bothers to read NOTAMS.

Yeah.

NORAD/NORTHCOM have ROE in place, that crews are trained to and familiar with, and have to be qualified on before they get to sit alert.

Source: Me. I've controlled these missions from AWACS and from civilian ATC (didn't have any fighters for that one, but I did get to make guard calls that were actually heeded, with a Secret Service agent sitting next to me). I've sat alert, and been retasked mid-mission.

Maybe you 're the right guy to weigh in on this. I've heard guard calls like this aimed at blundering doctors, and one time it was in this extremely menacing tone and cadence, which... I understand the intent of course, but it was so played up as to be absurd. It was actually downright comical, like an SNL skit about an over the top drill sergeant or something. So is that part of the official training or what? Or was some 19 year old hyped up on his first real life exposure?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

vessbot posted:

Yeah, there is are some very specific rules about this for some very specific reasons, dating back to the war of independence and civil war.

Basically the US Millitary is ONLY for defending the external borders of the country. Any kind of millitary action inside of the borders cannot be done using federal military power/hardware without certain criteria being met (like an invasion, I suppose).

So instead you get the national guard in each state, which largely does nothing most of the time, but gives states access to their own military hardware to deal with things like this, so that you don't mix your chocolate with their peanut butter.

Naturally there's a good science fiction quote, from Battlestar Galatica about this :awesomelon: :

quote:

" There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

There was a big issue a year or two ago where the US military wanted to do military war games on a practice field with another country in Georgia, they were told no for the reasons above.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hello thread, I visited the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum this weekend. I took some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/cNzENdm

https://imgur.com/a/tDglN9j

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vessbot posted:

Maybe you 're the right guy to weigh in on this. I've heard guard calls like this aimed at blundering doctors, and one time it was in this extremely menacing tone and cadence, which... I understand the intent of course, but it was so played up as to be absurd. It was actually downright comical, like an SNL skit about an over the top drill sergeant or something. So is that part of the official training or what? Or was some 19 year old hyped up on his first real life exposure?

Probably a 23 year old, but yeah pretty much a junior controller trying to sound like a badass. Completely unnecessary and I'd tell anyone on my crew to knock that poo poo off.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Terrible Robot posted:

Hello thread, I visited the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum this weekend. I took some pictures.

I know it lost, but it's not really fair to keep the X-32 outside and not clean it.
On the other hand, Goddamn is that's a derpy whale mouth of a plane.

*quoted the wrong post*

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 13, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

You're obviously going to know way more about the military side of this than I do, but we both know there's a massive difference between some dipshit in a Mooney blasting through a TFR and someone stealing a passenger plane and flying it over a major city.

e: and if they're treated in the exact same way on that end, well, that's kind of insane to be completely honest.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 13, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ardeem posted:

I know it lost, but it's not really fair to keep the X-32 outside and not clean it.
On the other hand, Goddamn is that's a derpy whale mouth of a plane.

*quoted the wrong post*

Given its proximity, there's a good chance it'll find its way to the Udvar-Hazy Center for proper restoration, be displayed there alongside the X-35B for a while, then returned to Pax River where it'll become a 'unique' display.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Nice collection, the AWACS planes look bizarre! The US Navy had some weird ideas. Also nice to see an F-4 represented, Australia leased 24 of them while waiting for the F-111 production to stop loving up, and didn't keep them, which we should have. If we had, maybe we wouldn't have made the dumb decision to buy the F-35.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Terrible Robot posted:

That's my kind of poo poo, thanks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

70% of my KSP takeoff attempts

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

Probably a 23 year old, but yeah pretty much a junior controller trying to sound like a badass. Completely unnecessary and I'd tell anyone on my crew to knock that poo poo off.

Reminds me of the time I went up the tower in LHR (probably told this story before), and the controller was this young guy with the most urban London/(actually probably more like Slough) accent, innit m8, when he spoke to everyone else, and as soon as he got on the radio to pilots, he switched to the most dead to rights RP public school "proper English". Like suddenly the poshest bloke in the room. It was hilarious.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

fknlo posted:

You're obviously going to know way more about the military side of this than I do, but we both know there's a massive difference between some dipshit in a Mooney blasting through a TFR and someone stealing a passenger plane and flying it over a major city.

e: and if they're treated in the exact same way on that end, well, that's kind of insane to be completely honest.

Pretty sure his point is that there's a complicated and dynamic decision tree/protocol structure that extends far beyond "not talking -> shoot down." Not that Mooney = acro Q. The Mooney situations were just brought up as an example of this structure already being in place.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Potato Salad posted:

70% of my KSP takeoff attempts

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

fknlo posted:

Even in a hijack situation, you don't shoot unless there's no other way to avoid a disaster. And most of the military-patrolled TFRs are there because the president or other head of state is in town.

Opening fire on a civilian aircraft is a Big loving Deal. Those fighters were not launched to shoot him down, they were launched in case it became necessary. There's a significant difference.

Edit:

vessbot posted:

Pretty sure his point is that there's a complicated and dynamic decision tree/protocol structure that extends far beyond "not talking -> shoot down." Not that Mooney = acro Q. The Mooney situations were just brought up as an example of this structure already being in place.

Yeah, this. There are literal checklists.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 13, 2018

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I approve of this fate for a Hawker, and I would like to know more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I approve of this fate for a Hawker, and I would like to know more.

It was 425 Manufacturing’s vehicle for the 2018 Rock River Anything That Floats Race in Rockford, Illinois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
For that matter, when the guy in a gyrocopter flew into DC as a form of protest, it wasn’t that he went undetected. It was a deliberate decision not to shoot him down or kill him on landing by security and law enforcement.

He did get hit with a felony and four months in prison though.