Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Imagine the horror of a diverse selection of food!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Wouldn’t be surprised if Alston is schizophrenic based on that. Not just racist but completely incoherent

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I know I shouldn't try to apply logic to these things but Australian racists really need to decide if their deranged vision of the future is rule under sharia law or the PRC, the two don't get along that well.

Yeah there's kinda a big demonstration in China at the moment because the government wants to bulldoze a mosque.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
My prof at uni showed a Family Policy Institute of Washington clip that was actually about how transgenderism is stupid to point out that the dude said he was 6'5" when he's clearly not as part of a critical thinking talk. Couldn't hear me over the vid saying 'you know these guys are evangelicals right' so so much for checking your sources :thunk: This is in a microbiology class and the rest of the talk was interesting but come on dude.

Mind you this is also the dude who believes in climate change but not anthropogenic climate change because apparently we're in drought and greece/california/victoria is regularly on fire while tropics get repeatedly dunked by cyclones because this is normal. Also maybe the CIA created HIV.

Ten Becquerels fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 11, 2018

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Ten Becquerels posted:

My prof at uni showed a Family Policy Institute of Washington clip that was actually about how transgenderism is stupid to point out that the dude said he was 6'5" when he's clearly not as part of a critical thinking talk. Couldn't hear me over the vid saying 'you know these guys are evangelicals right' so so much for checking your sources :thunk: This is in a microbiology class and the rest of the talk was interesting but come on dude.

Mind you this is also the dude who believes in climate change but not anthropogenic climate change because apparently we're in drought and greece/california/victoria is regularly on fire while tropics get repeatedly dunked by cyclones because this is normal. Also maybe the CIA created HIV.

You poor bastard. What uni are you at?

Heh, I'm at the Uni of Newcastle which is ranked 39384 or top 3% in the world! You jel?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1028113827915882496?s=21

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bandaid.friend posted:

honky cartoonist afraid of spicy food

I don't think it's the spicy food.

Ten Becquerels posted:

Hope you've put in a formal complaint about the bigot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Good.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
loving disgraceful, kids gathering in a public park

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Sekkira posted:

What media are you following?

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
my suggestion for rebranding the greens is to really go in hard on the apocalypse and existential despair. only one party can save us from our self-created hell

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I don't think it's the spicy food.

Hope you've put in a formal complaint about the bigot.

I don't think he looked into them at all so I'm hoping showing him their site might persuade him to find a different video, although gently caress knows maybe he thinks the part about people saying yeah if you said you were a woman I would refer to you as such is dumb too. Plenty of other examples of people saying dumb poo poo that obviously isn't true on the internet, without the undercurrent of wow those crazy trans what's next saying you're a 6 foot chinese person?? If that's not sufficient I might put in a complaint but I think he's a reasonable man of science apart from the tinfoil hat things.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

this broken hill posted:

my suggestion for rebranding the greens is to really go in hard on the apocalypse and existential despair. only one party can save us from our self-created hell

It's my dream to one day turn the party into a death cult.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
An Australian medical ethicist who spent decades observing euthanasia in Canada has called on the Senate to reject a bill that would clear the way for voluntary assisted dying to be legalised across Australia.
Bioethics Professor Margaret Somerville, from the University of Notre Dame's school of medicine, said the international experience demonstrated that euthanasia was being used as a cheaper alternative to psychiatric and palliative care.

So I did bioethics at uni and Margaret Somerville's name sticks out like a sore thumb. Let's look at her greatest hits.

https://www.catholicweekly.com.au/pro-euthanasia-people-cant-wait-to-get-killing-people-says-ethicist-margaret-somerville/

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2016/10/07/4552500.htm

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/judge-me-by-my-ideas-not-my-religion/article15577208/

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Does she have evidence to back up her statements? It wouldn't surprise me at all if people are forcing oldies into it but I would like to see proof it's happening and see if we couldn't implement better safeguards.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I though you people wanted old folks to suffer? Make up your loving minds please.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Cartoon posted:

I though you people wanted old folks to suffer? Make up your loving minds please.

The guillotine doesn’t cause suffering. It’s quick and painless.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/insidersabc/status/1028430714159558657?s=21

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Dude McAwesome posted:

The guillotine doesn’t cause suffering. It’s quick and painless.
I was referring to the palliative care/euthanasia issue. You appear to be on the euthanasia team then?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can’t wait for the Australian to
try and link this to terrorism

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Greens NSW state council voted 60% in favour to remove Jeremy Buckingham from the ticket while he's being investigated, but because we need 75% to do anything nothing happens. Love the tail of ten regional rotten borough branches wagging the dog :butt:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

why doesn't a simple majority count?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Or at least a two-thirds majority christ what party have I gotten myself into.

I mean, if I was in the Greens, which I'm not. I'm a salty. Yup.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the ignore sexual assault in favour of the party party

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

bell jar posted:

At a guess it's to stop your standard tyrrany by majority situations. Like people in the country might be against X because Y but because the city folk have the numbers they get to run roughshod over everyone by a fine margin.

It's a major concern in country WA, the country folk were incredibly pissed off when they lost a representative during the last round of the AEC mixing things up due to the population boom in Baldivis.

Speaking of country WA, those folks are pissed off about Moora college and I'm kinda having a hard time feeling sorry for them. I really wish those people were more engaged in stuff like climate change, though, coz they're super organised and good at getting media attention.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Greens NSW state council voted 60% in favour to remove Jeremy Buckingham from the ticket while he's being investigated, but because we need 75% to do anything nothing happens. Love the tail of ten regional rotten borough branches wagging the dog :butt:

email Alice Workman

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

bell jar posted:

Because the Greens are a different type of party that is nicer and does politics differenty and everyone can come to an agreement and work together on thi-ahahahahahaha

No, seriously,. that's about it. We operate under a consensus decision making system where if a matter isn't considered 'urgent', literally one person who disagrees can completely block it until they're satisfied. Surely, since we're all sensible people who are in this together nobody will ever abuse this for their own purposes, right?

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 12, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1028604851016556544

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Liberals are totally fine, but in the PPM poll Malcolm has taken a nose dive and needs to be replaced, in a set of Murdoch commissioned polls that fit the narrative so well it's like they were manufactured to measure

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

NTRabbit posted:

The Liberals are totally fine, but in the PPM poll Malcolm has taken a nose dive and needs to be replaced, in a set of Murdoch commissioned polls that fit the narrative so well it's like they were manufactured to measure

same day as he arrives in australia too

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So apparently Lucy Turnbull is a former director of the Great Barrier Reef Foundation and I missed this from 2 days ago and can you imagine if he was a Labor PM? He'd already be picking the AFP hollow points out of his top hat

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Why isn't Workman a 'real' journalist?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

Why isn't Workman a 'real' journalist?

probably because people dont think buzzfeed is a real news site

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i always wanted you to admire my farting

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Fairfax posted:

A Maori Niuean man working for a Rainbow Beach tour company was given a canister labelled ‘Black Guy Repllent’ [sic] by his colleagues when he asked for sunscreen, he claims.

The incident was just one alleged example of ongoing workplace racial vilification that the man, McDuff Tupetagi, is claiming forced him to take sick leave for mental distress and anxiety, and made him feel “like an unwanted creature or pest”.

In a statement of facts lodged in the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission this week, Mr Tupetagi said at his work he was frequently made the butt of jokes and referred to as “the black fella”.

Mr Tupetagi is now suing the Fraser Island tour company and two of its employees for discrimination.

Rainbow Beach Adventure Company is owned by Website Travel Group, which owns a number of travel and tourism companies around Australia.

Website Travel Group general manager Barry Downes said in a statement to Fairfax Media: “We value all our employees and are supporting the proceedings.”
In 2016, Mr Tupetagi asked his boss, Mervin O’Neill, to install a sunshade at the workplace to protect him from the sun as he worked on the company’s cars.
After three months, Mr Tupetagi asked again for a sunshade, and Mr O’Neill took the request to his manager, ‘Byron’.
“‘Byron’ approached the complainant and refused the complainant’s request, saying to the complainant words to the effect of 'because you’re black',” the statement of facts reads.
“By Byron’s words, Byron imputed to the complainant that he was less or not susceptible to sunburn and skin damage from the sun because of his skin colour.”

On November 8, 2017, Mr Tupetagi was told by his coworkers that there was “a present” for him in the car he was next to work on.

In the footwell of the car’s passenger front seat, he found an empty canister of sunscreen wrapped in fluorescent yellow tape, labelled ‘Black Guy Repllent’ [sic] and ‘Caution! Only use on blacks’.
Mr Tupetagi reported the incident to Mr O’Neill, who said it was likely the act of another employee, Joel Mahon.
Telling Mr Tupetagi to go home, Mr O’Neill said he would “sort it out”.

At midday, Mr Mahon drove to Mr Tupetagi’s house and told him he had been sent to apologise.

“The complainant told Mr Mahon with words to the effect of 'you shouldn’t be here',” the statement reads.

A week later, Mr Tupetagi took out a medical certificate and a workers’ compensation certificate declaring him unfit to work due to the stress of the alleged racial discrimination.

Fairfax Media has seen Mr Tupetagi’s Workers Compensation medical certificates, all of which cite discrimination as causing his distress.

Mr Tupetagi has since needed “extensive” psychiatric support and been diagnosed with severe depression and agoraphobia, or fear of leaving safe places, the court documents claim.

The case has reached the Industrial Relations Commission after ongoing negotiations with the company, with Mr Tupetagi claiming his alleged treatment from his employer and colleagues was contemptuous and exposed him to severe ridicule.
“By being presented with a sunscreen bottle, a product designed to save lives which the complainant had been denied access to previously, marked as a product designed to chase ‘blacks’ away, or even kill them, the complainant felt likened to an unwanted creature or pest,” the statement of facts reads.
Supportah Operations industrial advocate Miles Heffernan, representing Mr Tupetagi, said it was one of the most “shocking” cases of workplace racism and vilification he had seen.
“Trying to make a black colleague extinct or otherwise treated like an insect is repugnant,” Mr Heffernan said.
“Any organisation in the business of international tourism should embrace people of all colours and creed.”

Rainbow Beach Adventure Company, Mr O’Neill and Mr Mahon were being represented in the case by DLA Piper litigation lawyer Sophie Devitt.
The case will appear before court in a few weeks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Turnbull government is fast-tracking a policy to underwrite a new coal-fired power station as it seeks to win the support of wavering conservative MPs for the National Energy Guarantee at Tuesday’s Coalition party room meeting.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission chairman Rod Sims, who recommended the government underwrite new dispatchable power generation to boost competition and lower prices, will brief Nationals MPs on the idea at their separate meeting on Monday.

At the same time, Treasurer Scott Morrison and Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg have started work on options to implement the recommendation which, a government source said, would see the government “underwrite new generation, possibly including coal”.

https://www.afr.com/news/turnbull-fast-tracks-coal-plan-to-clinch-neg-20180811-h13upk

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Oh boy!

• Locked thread