Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Leck posted:

Thanks for this - I read it a while back but last time I looked it had disappeared from the site. It sounds interesting and maybe worth trying out. It seems like most picking articles are on single note/lead playing. Is there any comparable technique guidance for rhythm playing?

That's covered in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I probably should have used the phrase "just got" instead of "got" because I've had the part for maybe a week and the guy who builds and fixes my guitars isn't done installing it yet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Iucounu posted:

He better be playing through a guitar shaped amp

That's not an amp-shaped guitar -- that's a guitar that is also an amp. (I remember there was a mail-in form from the magazine to get a chance to win it. Alas, no luck. :sigh:)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qQd_RTA1DY

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

And why not, these are so loving stupid but it makes me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIiYOgtEuY

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

oh cool i didn't know macaulay culkin did gear demos

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Horrid onboard microphone sound quality remains a constant in product demonstrations a decade later. Only the aspect ratio has changed.

A company keeps placing ads for their $700 suitcase bass drums on Craigslist in my state and their demonstration is a vertical video shot in bad lighting. I figure if you're going to be marketing to artisanal buskers, a teensy bit more effort would go into the media production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJphwU0xPpM

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey remember the brouhaha over that steel panther-branded eq preset or whatever that tc electronics made called the pussy melter?

it got cancelled, so the band decided to slap the name on some generic distortion pedal and sell that for $200 instead

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love it tbh it’s so gaudy and dumb

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spending "boutique" money on a lovely overdrive to own the libs.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Spending "boutique" money on a lovely overdrive to own the libs.

What? No, they'll own a pedal that says "Pussy Melter" on it.

Libs are only affordable to corporations like Apple and Tesla.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny Nox posted:

What? No, they'll own a pedal that says "Pussy Melter" on it.

Libs are only affordable to corporations like Apple and Tesla.

Supporting slave labour to own the conservatives

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I bought this guitar from a local pedal builder today for $160 CAD.

It plays great.

Stupid music poo poo content: Here's my soviet guitar I overpaid for a few years back.

Neither of the two shops I took it to could figure out how to get the truss rod working in this weird Bulgarian design so I've just been keeping it in drop C or baritone tuning to keep the action low. It has single coils and makes a weird clanking noise if you hit the strings too hard

I'm a drummer anyway, I don't need to care about tone or whatever

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

New New Fresh posted:

I bought this guitar from a local pedal builder today for $160 CAD.

It plays great.

Stupid music poo poo content: Here's my soviet guitar I overpaid for a few years back.

Neither of the two shops I took it to could figure out how to get the truss rod working in this weird Bulgarian design so I've just been keeping it in drop C or baritone tuning to keep the action low. It has single coils and makes a weird clanking noise if you hit the strings too hard

I'm a drummer anyway, I don't need to care about tone or whatever

Tone is for losers and those both look awesome

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hey remember the brouhaha over that steel panther-branded eq preset or whatever that tc electronics made called the pussy melter?

it got cancelled, so the band decided to slap the name on some generic distortion pedal and sell that for $200 instead

Owns.

Don't have my own picture but I just picked up one of these from Craigslist last week:

It's dope as poo poo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Owns.

Don't have my own picture but I just picked up one of these from Craigslist last week:

It's dope as poo poo.
Is that the Yamaha/Line 6 new iteration of the Variax Baritone? :aaaaa:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wark Say posted:

Is that the Yamaha/Line 6 new iteration of the Variax Baritone? :aaaaa:

Yeah, the Variax Shuriken. It's loving amazing as poo poo. I really wish I knew there was a 25 scale length one before I got this one but whatever, it's incredible.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Facebook thought I should see this

http://jerichoguitars.com/product/nomad-supernova-pre-order/

I can hear Gibson's lawyers preparing the lawsuit already

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't ESP produce an Explorer-type James Hetfield guitar for worldwide markets which is basically like a Gibson except for the headstock?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

nah they have that a little extra badonk on the left top if you were looking at it from the front which combined with the headstock switch is enough to shut up Gibson apparently

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wark Say posted:

Doesn't ESP produce an Explorer-type James Hetfield guitar for worldwide markets which is basically like a Gibson except for the headstock?

ESP’s version of the explorer is quite a bit different. They used to make explorers shaped exactly like Gibson’s until they sued ESP into oblivion, followed by never actually providing an explorer with no front pick guard but instead only producing front pick guarded, body bound gaudy monstrosities, and a few other variants over the years that never got it right.

gently caress Gibson.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Huh. Well, hopefully they lay off that bullshit. Like, Gibson has great-looking models and everything, but pretty much every other company does better versions of their most iconic models. Right now they should just focus on getting their poo poo together an--HAHAHAHAHAHA they're preparing the lawsuit as I type this, aren't they

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Shugojin posted:

Facebook thought I should see this

http://jerichoguitars.com/product/nomad-supernova-pre-order/

I can hear Gibson's lawyers preparing the lawsuit already

That thing is very sexy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
dean still sells an explorer shape guitar

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Wark Say posted:

GreatGreen posted:

ESP's version of the explorer is quite a bit different. They used to make explorers shaped exactly like Gibson’s until they sued ESP into oblivion, followed by never actually providing an explorer with no front pick guard but instead only producing front pick guarded, body bound gaudy monstrosities, and a few other variants over the years that never got it right.

gently caress Gibson.

It's actually even more confusing than that - I can't seem to find anything suggesting Gibson actually filed a suit but I do remember reading about it, while places like the ESP forums say a lawsuit never actually happened. Either way, ESP seemingly changed the shape entirely out of their own volition probably to avoid the possibility and nowadays you can only get proper Explorer shape ESPs direct from the custom shop in Japan. Probably because the relevant laws don't apply there. And of course they cost an arm an a leg.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
You can still find Edwards explorers which are made by the ESP group. They’re pretty inexpensive and about the same quality as mid-level LTDs

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I always wondered how copyright with Explorers worked, because I know Gibson's objection to the other guitars was their open-book style headstocks.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
same as every other trade dress dispute, by claiming the body and headstock shape are what make the instrument identifiable as a gibson product and therefore constitute a form of trademark

the funny thing is the courts have rejected claims from both fender and gibson so technically anyone can make direct copies if they want. it's the threat of a lawsuit and the likelihood a manufacturer isn't aware of the legality that keeps it from happening more often

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Edwards (and Navigator) guitars are literally the absolute dog's bollocks. I would always buy a Navi over a Gibson at this stage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, a band I recorded a few years ago decided to invest like 3k dollars and they got like 5 Edwards guitars/basses. They've never looked back.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmwHyF8KhDA

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

same as every other trade dress dispute, by claiming the body and headstock shape are what make the instrument identifiable as a gibson product and therefore constitute a form of trademark

the funny thing is the courts have rejected claims from both fender and gibson so technically anyone can make direct copies if they want. it's the threat of a lawsuit and the likelihood a manufacturer isn't aware of the legality that keeps it from happening more often

There's also the fact that a lot of people don't have the money to hire a lawyer and gently caress around with court cases

I mean as it turned out neither does Gibson buuuuuut :v:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Finally found a non-Squier Strat at one of the local pawn shops. It was an MIM Strat with 95% of the finish stripped off, a Floyd Rose cavity routed out by hand, and the screws for the Floyd nut drilled directly into the back of the neck. Asking price: $375.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:mad:

Fuzz pedals must be dimed. It is written. (Don't give me no poo poo about it.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

WHO DOES THAT?

gently caress this. I don't want to live in this planet anymore. :suicide:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lame but also I love the poo poo out of their tone sooooooo

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The level setting is conspicuously low as well. I'm puzzled.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One possibility is that it's being used to color a 2nd distortion pedal. You see this all the time with tube screamers with low settings like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I'm just kiddin' you guys. I see any fuzz and immediately turn everything up all the way.