Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/voiceofcohen/status/1028842693890396165

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's insane that David Bote was called up to keep Bryant's seat warm and now there is a legit question of how we can keep him in the lineup in an already stacked team.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just trade Russell for some pitching and keep Bote around.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I just looked up where Bote came from because I've just never heard about him before this year. Apparently I am currently 2.5 blocks away from where he played college ball.

What a small loving world.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cub posting is good tonight, friends

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/jazayerli/status/1028850083360591873

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cub posting is good tonight, friends

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

waiting for mlb to put up the Pat Hughes call

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I wanted to go to bed two hours ago, but Cubs have kept me up

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

waiting for mlb to put up the Pat Hughes call

:same:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/TR1N1TY3/status/1028857322645401600

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

He called Bote's homer better than he called the final out of Game 7.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYSmEFCtUz8&t=435s

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i've never heard ron coomer that fired up, maybe when his funkaway check clears

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Atomizer missed the perfect av picture by like a week:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Would

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I want this game to be the definitive turnaround point of the season like the Lester bunt walkoff game against Seattle was in 2016. Let's rattle off another 10 wins or so in a row.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I doubted Joe when he let the Nats go up 3-0, but I will never doubt him again after seeing his plan for a walk-off grand slam work

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/markschiewe/status/1028841728348966914?s=19

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Here's the Must C version which has the radio call synced with the video.

e:

https://i.imgur.com/KrvJkBf.mp4

Sydin fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 13, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The fun back story to all of this is Dave Martinez return to Chicago and facing his old mentor. You could see him getting excited during the game when the Nats took an early lead, he wanted to beat Maddon in this series.

But in the end.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I haven't been this jacked about Cubs baseball all year.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hey guys I was at work all evening what did I miss?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

No regerts. :colbert:

The important thing though is that I predicted the rise of King Bote! :smugdog:

I'd seriously consider changing the avatar photo to any of these, though:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1028850895180783617

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1028867342409900032

I like how his last name is Bote so of course he's got his arms extended rounding the bases like he's flying! :monocle:

The Flying Bote! :getin:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Miz Kriss posted:

Please rename the thread to “David Bote appreciation harbor” or something stupid like that

Bote McHomerface

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Watched the replay and loved the umpire looking through the pile of Cubs to make sure Bote touches home.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I wonder if he'll finally get to go to Des Moines today to collect his car.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Could someone make this is a gif please? New avatar incoming.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
All of a sudden we've won 9 of our last 12 one-run games and are 17-17 on the season.

15-5 in one-run games at home
2-12 in one-run games on the road

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

It's insane that David Bote was called up to keep Bryant's seat warm and now there is a legit question of how we can keep him in the lineup in an already stacked team.

I was 100% ready to trade him before the deadline. That was like 2 weeks ago.
Now you'll have to pry him from my cold dead arms loving embrace.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah get that Bote is strictly an IF so he has a bit less positional versatility than say, Happ, but there's no way you can trade him at this point. Even if you want to ignore his performance in high leverage as small sample size, he is absolutely crushing the ball to the point that it actually justifies his .400 BABIP:

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1028987535060619265

It's been 96 PA's, so that's starting to border on legit exit velo and not some fluke. If Bote continues to perform even remotely close to what he's put up in his first ~100 PA's, there's a serious conversation to be had about trading Russell, moving Javy to SS full time, and giving 2B to Bote.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

It's been 96 PA's, so that's starting to border on legit exit velo and not some fluke. If Bote continues to perform even remotely close to what he's put up in his first ~100 PA's, there's a serious conversation to be had about trading Russell, moving Javy to SS full time, and giving 2B to Bote.

Especially considering that we have one more year of Zobrist where he will likely continue his part time experience of this season - you can split 2B between Zobrist and Bote to continue to acclimate Bote to the majors.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Sydin posted:

Yeah get that Bote is strictly an IF so he has a bit less positional versatility than say, Happ, but there's no way you can trade him at this point. Even if you want to ignore his performance in high leverage as small sample size, he is absolutely crushing the ball to the point that it actually justifies his .400 BABIP:

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1028987535060619265

I might even have Javy and Bote switch the 2b/SS spot from time to time. As much as I don’t like to see long time cubs players go, I think it's almost time to have Addy be used as a bargaining chip.

Of course, this all depends on how the rest of the season goes for Bote, but so far he’s doing really, really well in the short time he’s been here.

EDIT!: If Bote sticks around, KB can actually have a day off when he’s not injured.

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 13, 2018

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Imagine how many drafts of game recaps and "are the Cubs finished?' articles had to be tossed in the toilet last night

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Cubs? Never heard of em. I'm here for the Chicago Botes. They should send that bat boy, Kris Briant, to fetch the chosen one's Chariot this week.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Poque posted:

Imagine how many drafts of game recaps and "are the Cubs finished?' articles had to be tossed in the toilet last night

Not trashed, just saved with the date marked X/XX/2018.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Lost in Bote mania, let's check in on how Hamels has done since coming to the Cubs:

:smugdog:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

Unless you're absolutely sure that Russell is permanently broken (and if he is, what kind of return are you going to get) I can't see why you would trade a guy with 3 years of team control left like Addy without first considering trading or releasing either Zobrist or La Stella. I can understand keeping Zobrist as he moves into the David Ross Retirement Tour phase of his career. As for La Stella, is there a real consideration that a strictly bench/PH guy entering his age-30 season next year (and is actually at a lower OPS+ as of today than Russell, 82 vs. 85) with 2 years of control is more valuable than Addy, who despite recent struggles is still at his highest BA and OPS numbers of his career, is still a plus glove, will only be 25 next year, and has an extra year of team control? I don't get it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sure, you could also dump TLS and have Bote be your PH with an added dash of occasional spot IF starter or defensive replacement. Pretty sure TLS would bring you next to nothing in a trade, maybe a fringy relief arm at best, but oh well.

My argument for Russell is that he's an offensive black hole at the moment (.239/.289/.268, 53 wRC+ since the ASB) and even during his hot streak in May seemingly only managed to finally raise his BA out of the .230's by sacrificing all of his power. Yeah the glove is Top 3 SS in MLB material no doubt, but it's been four seasons now and the bat still hasn't arrived and I'm starting to wonder if it ever will. His career high wRC+ is 94. The known infidelity + potential DV also still makes me queasy and I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to defend his spot on the team.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Did MLB ever come back with any findings about Russell's alleged DV? Last I heard his ex-wife was not going to talk to MLB regarding it and I haven't seen anything about it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
No, and we probably never will. The DV allegations came from an IG post by a family friend, and she deleted it pretty quickly after making it. Russell's wife refused to cooperate with MLB's investigation and she didn't file any kind of charges, so with no path forward the allegations died away. All we know for certain is that Russell repeatedly cheated on his wife, which was her stated reason as to why she divorced him last year.

• Locked thread