Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sorry old man you'll have to join us in the digital age to post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

site posted:

When did that happen

Also buy me a new phone if you got so much money to spare

Depending on where you're located, you can get a budget Moto E4 for like $60 that should be better than your Galaxy S3 in every way. Still might be more than you can spend, of course, but there are not awful budget options these days. It's only two major OS versions out of date as of Monday!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay well if you're going to break compatibility for older versions even though everything already worked before you broke it go ahead give me a link to the last version that worked before you silently broke it and didn't bother putting it in the changelog

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Counterpoint, don't be a dick to people making an app for free failing to hold up development for the 3% of people on OS versions that old

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

site posted:

Okay well if you're going to break compatibility for older versions even though everything already worked before you broke it go ahead give me a link to the last version that worked before you silently broke it and didn't bother putting it in the changelog

It takes time and effort to support things like old-rear end operating systems and the volunteers working on this hobby project have decided on other priorities. Don’t be a dick.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you think asking to add "we stopped supporting android versions earlier than 4.4 and updating will break your functionality and no we won't provide a link to an earlier version" to the changelog to notify users with limited income that their phone/tablet will no longer work if they update is being a dick then suck my ladydick

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Feel free to submit a pull request.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's far more likely that something on the site changed that broke compatibility with the old version of the app. I'm not the person who does releases for this app, but afaik the last release for kitkat was several months ago, and unless you've been seeing the issue that long, it wasn't the app that broke. It's just really old so it's not being supported anymore because supporting 6 years of different software versions is Really Hard, especially the jump from Android 4 to 5 which was huge.

Software development is more complicated than you think it is, particularly when you have 2 separate pieces of software (the app and the site) that have to interact seamlessly. When one changes, it can break the other.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I actually got out my old 4.3 Galaxy Nexus this morning, and sure enough, avatars are broken. Since Site noticed this in July and the version dropped in April my guess is something cloudflare related, like they are serving the images in an SSL version that the old android does not support. Or something. I'll try to check after work.

The thing is, the app could probably stayed on on 4.0.1 forever. Android itself makes graceful degradation pretty easy. And the features the new versions bring are usually not that important, most cosmetic.
The webview, which makes up the juicy part, does not work like that however. Here the changes between 4.4 and 5 even are pretty severe with the 4.4 being barely better than IE7. Sure you can use polyfills to close that gap but at some point it required basically polyfilling everything.

Anyway, I'll look into it tonight, can't promise anything though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Another thanks for what you guys do

It really is appreciated

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, my guess is that it's a side effect of dropping TLS v1.0 support at the hosting end. Some cursory searching suggests that TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are available between 4.1 and 5.0, but require custom code to utilize and even then may have compatibility issues based on ciphers and types of SSL certs that might be in use.

So yeah, very likely a change is hosting that would require an extensive change in how the images are being fetched in the app to fix.

This likely isn't the only app that's going to start breaking due to the PCI mandated SSL protocol deadline.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Visit this link on your phone and see if it gives you the option to update:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms
If it just says "Deactivate" then you have the newest version

Basically we hand off all the SSL/TLS stuff to a Google library, so that should keep things up to date and handle secure connections gracefully if there are any future changes.
Lucky Sereri has a device to test it on, I can only use an emulator and I can't update Play Services to see if it fixes things

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It's not that easy because we don't hand over all the SSL/TLS stuff over to the google library, just the page itself. Everything that is in there is then loaded by the webview. This is what is failing.
It seems that in July the tax man disabled all the older and (relatively) unsafe SSL/TLS methods and only left TLS 1.2 and 1.3 . The webview of android 4.3 only supports TLS 1.0 .
I've google a little bit but afaict there seems to be no wait to retrofit the newer TLS onto the old webview.

tldr: the browser inside the app is too old to display the forum images coming over the forced, secure connection

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah rip old lovely phones sorry not sorry imo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

It's not that easy because we don't hand over all the SSL/TLS stuff over to the google library, just the page itself. Everything that is in there is then loaded by the webview. This is what is failing.
It seems that in July the tax man disabled all the older and (relatively) unsafe SSL/TLS methods and only left TLS 1.2 and 1.3 . The webview of android 4.3 only supports TLS 1.0 .
I've google a little bit but afaict there seems to be no wait to retrofit the newer TLS onto the old webview.

tldr: the browser inside the app is too old to display the forum images coming over the forced, secure connection

Ohhhh right, I was hoping it would just work - our fix just changed something on the backend that the network stack goes through, so the requests got patched. So the webview can't handle it huh

Yeah sorry, even if the app weren't Lollipop+ I don't think there's a lot we could do about this. The internet marches on and some stuff just doesn't get updated anymore

tviolet
May 20, 2004

That's understandable, it's so old! can't wait to get a new phone

tviolet fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 11, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Welp if its android side rip my phone guess its time to see if there are any custom roms still floating around for the s3

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

site posted:

Welp if its android side rip my phone guess its time to see if there are any custom roms still floating around for the s3

By all means, barge in and be a dick and then don't even say thanks for the help.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol gently caress off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Internet Explorer posted:

By all means, barge in and be a dick and then don't even say thanks for the help.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

site posted:

lol gently caress off

I mean we get it, you're poor, but you don't need to take it out on others

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This started because tviolet confirmed it was happening long after my original post and all i did was respond to a non devs (as it turns out) false claim that support had been totally cut with no notice for older phones so im not sure what yall are trying to get out of gaslighting me

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

site posted:

This started because tviolet confirmed it was happening long after my original post and all i did was respond to a non devs (as it turns out) false claim that support had been totally cut for older phones so im not sure what yall are trying to get out of rezzing a convo from three days ago to gaslight me

I'm not sure why either. It's a total and complete mystery. One we may never fully solve.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Taffer is a dev and the app is 5.0 and up now, older devices will just stay on the old version and it won't get updates. We're not retroactively pulling support, but stuff outside the app sometimes changes and that might break an outdated version. And sometimes there's nothing we could do about it anyway (like here)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm not really, I just barge in occasionally and break things. :v:

You and Sereri do all the real work

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

baka kaba posted:

Taffer is a dev and the app is 5.0 and up now, older devices will just stay on the old version and it won't get updates. We're not retroactively pulling support, but stuff outside the app sometimes changes and that might break an outdated version. And sometimes there's noting we could do about it anyway (like here)

And I'm totally fine with and understand that. I just didn't think that asking to drop a line in the changelog acknowledging that to warn others would be some sort of crime against humanity :shrug:

and in case its ever necessary i went ahead and put 3.4.1 on an dummy mega.nz account
https://mega.nz/#!vb5AnYRJ!cFafX49cvQcYurpRs6ApV8yGJe90cHmWEy_MpO5TnZM

site fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 12, 2018

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

site posted:

And I'm totally fine with and understand that. I just didn't think that asking to drop a line in the changelog acknowledging that to warn others would be some sort of crime against humanity :shrug:

and in case its ever necessary i went ahead and put 3.4.1 on an dummy mega.nz account
https://mega.nz/#!vb5AnYRJ!cFafX49cvQcYurpRs6ApV8yGJe90cHmWEy_MpO5TnZM

"Asking to drop a line in the changelog" vs

site posted:

That's the entire reason you've gotten pushback. I legitimately hope this helps your confusion about this social interaction.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

site posted:

There was nothing to put in the changelog about that, because the issue didn't come from an app update. It showed up months later from a change on the website, which the app devs have no control over, and is something that cannot be fixed on a version of Android that old. Why are you being so toxic after the reason it can't be fixed was explained?

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

I can't seem to get Twitter embeds to stick. It worked when I re-installed the app, but now it's broken again despite the fact I haven't touched anything. Anyone else having this issue?

I fuckin love this app, by the way. Been using it for a long time and I should have thanked you guys sooner.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think it may be off by default? Settings > posts > embedding > tweets

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

Taffer posted:

I think it may be off by default? Settings > posts > embedding > tweets

Oh no, I made sure to toggle it first thing after I re-installed. It just randomly stopped working in a tweet-heavy thread I was reading, despite still being toggled. :shrug:

Forgive me if this has come up or is a dumb question, but could having a third party Twitter app (Flamingo, specifically) be mucking embeds up somehow?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

YES CURES SINNERS posted:

Oh no, I made sure to toggle it first thing after I re-installed. It just randomly stopped working in a tweet-heavy thread I was reading, despite still being toggled. :shrug:

Forgive me if this has come up or is a dumb question, but could having a third party Twitter app (Flamingo, specifically) be mucking embeds up somehow?

Nah. Twitter stuff is all just html magic, other apps won't affect it. But, the html magic is outside of my wheelhouse so I can't help you further, sorry. :(

Sereri is the expert on that so maybe he'll show up and answer

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

Taffer posted:

Nah. Twitter stuff is all just html magic, other apps won't affect it. But, the html magic is outside of my wheelhouse so I can't help you further, sorry. :(

Sereri is the expert on that so maybe he'll show up and answer

No worries, I appreciate you responding!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It stops working for me every now and again and doing a full restart of the app usually fixes it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Taffer posted:

I'm not really, I just barge in occasionally and break things. :v:

You and Sereri do all the real work

You at least know what's up!

YES CURES SINNERS posted:

I can't seem to get Twitter embeds to stick. It worked when I re-installed the app, but now it's broken again despite the fact I haven't touched anything. Anyone else having this issue?

I fuckin love this app, by the way. Been using it for a long time and I should have thanked you guys sooner.

There's an issue with some embedding breaking, it's (I think) something that might stop them loading on one page, but they'll be fine on another. So you don't need to reinstall or restart or anything, it should just work when the page loads, unless something on that page is breaking it, y'know?

There's already a fix in the dev version so next update it'll hopefully be ok. You could try disabling Instagram embeds for the moment, that might help

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've definitely had it a few times where its stopped working for multiple pages till a full restart of the app

If it happens again is there anything I can do to help track down the issue?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You could give us some pages where you see it happening! Especially if it's the first page it breaks on, after seeing it working fine

You could also make a note of a page where they do embed, and try going to that when it breaks, see if it still works or if something's fallen over

Like I said there's a fix for something like that, but it can't hurt to check other reports and see if it's something different :shobon:

tviolet
May 20, 2004

site posted:

This started because tviolet confirmed it was happening long after my original post and all i did was respond to a non devs (as it turns out) false claim that support had been totally cut with no notice for older phones so im not sure what yall are trying to get out of gaslighting me

If it's only two of us that tells you how our devices are deprecated. Personally I'm pretty okay with it because it's a free app offered to us, and I'm impressed that the devs even take the time, their personal time, to offer support ITT. Also, since I can no longer see avatar or emotes, everyone is on the same level visually, which turns out I actually appreciate.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm running the most up to date version of the app on a Pixel 2 XL with Android P. I've been getting 'Loading failed!' errors all day, both on WiFi and mobile data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Montalvo posted:

I'm running the most up to date version of the app on a Pixel 2 XL with Android P. I've been getting 'Loading failed!' errors all day, both on WiFi and mobile data.

Sometimes the forums and/or cloudflare eats poo poo, was it happening on the browser too?