Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The "hey let's try to roll this" -> "oh poo poo I'm pointing at the ground, better pull through" half-roll-into-loop is how a number of pilots kill themselves when they try to do aerobatics without any aerobatic training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vessbot posted:

Nope. No keys

Hell, even small GA planes don't always have keys. Once you're inside the Seneca, you're ready to rock 'n' roll.

I assume the reason aircraft theft is reasonably uncommon is that it's essentially useless to steal a plane. Your options at that point are to either never go where anyone will see the plane, in which case it has very little utility, or get caught.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you're within a couple hundred miles of Mexico and know the right people I'd imagine stealing planes could work. Lots of risk for not a lot of money though!

Wait I have a better idea... private aircraft carrier

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Angola_727_disappearance

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

Q400 can handle a loving loop? Pretty pro move on your first flight in the thing

The Q400 is pretty overpowered at low altitudes and light weights (it's 10,000hp on an airplane weighing maybe 45,000lbs) and since there's a ton of lift from the prop wash over the wings on an airfoil that works quite well at low speeds, I can certainly see it being able to perform something like a loop.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

A perfect example of why plane theft isn't that useful.

It's certainly possible it's still out there somewhere doing something useful for its "owner" but, realistically, how are you even going to fuel a 727 without arousing some kind of suspicion? That's no small quantity of Jet-A to be going to... a place where there are no known aircraft.

In other news, I had my first actual abnormal situation today on a training flight. Flaps stuck at 20 degrees on a touch and go -- ended up doing a 500' circuit and coming to an uneventful landing, but it's certainly added "visually confirm flaps up" to my list of poo poo to check. I might have caught it and been able to abort takeoff if I hadn't been taking control at the time due to some interesting crosswind shenanigans :v:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

azflyboy posted:

The Q400 is pretty overpowered at low altitudes and light weights (it's 10,000hp on an airplane weighing maybe 45,000lbs) and since there's a ton of lift from the prop wash over the wings on an airfoil that works quite well at low speeds, I can certainly see it being able to perform something like a loop.

Moreover none of that is needed, as a glider can do a loop.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
God you flooded it here give me the keys I’ll try the right side.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Prefect Six posted:

Since a couple of you guys are CFIs, I wanted to run something past everyone. I'm wanting to start PPL training this spring and obviously I want to do it as efficiently and as safely as possible.

I'd like to know if you guys have any opinions or additions to my plan in the run up to starting training.

My intention is over the winter to get my medical, complete an online ground school (mzeroa or other) and pass my written before ever stepping foot in an FBO. I've also done a tour on PilotEdge and will probably resubscribe to make sure I'm as practiced as possible on the radio. School primarily uses a Warrior II so I plan to pick up a POH, check lists, etc. and practice either in the sim or in front of a picture of the cockpit.

With those complete I'd start training and schedule at least 2 sessions a week.

Actually I will step into an FBO because I also plan to pick a CFI and discuss all this with them prior obviously.

Seems pretty simple, but my hope is that it will cut down on time in the air for training. I'm assuming the CFI will at least be OK if not happy that I'm doing all this leg work ahead of time.

FAA requires a minimum of 40 hours flight time........but the chances of you getting your wings with that amount is small to nil. Expect 60-65 hours to be flight worthy.

CFI not only judges you on how you get the plane in the air but how well you can. Example, you can teach monkeys to drive a car (don't believe me? Come to Plano) but knowing how to operate that car effectively and safely is another issue.

Sim time does not count towards your hours but you can count different flights during the same ride. Cross country at night counts towards night flight, XC, and flight time. CFI gets to share in that creamy goodness because there is a good chance that the CFI is trying to rack up hours to get commercial 1500 hours.

I calculated that it would take about $10k to get a private license and that includes school, plane, fuel, etc. etc. I think helicopter ran about $40k.

I am also seriously thinking about getting an license but the real question to me is do I need one or do I just want one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

No one needs one.

It is completely impossible to make a logical case for getting a pilot's license or for doing it as a career. It's only ever a reasonable thing to do because flying is loving awesome, and frankly if you disagree with that, then the whole thing is a waste of your money and time.

That being said, I don't regret a single dollar I've spent to get where I am.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I don’t regret a single dollar of the decision that led me to flying to Cadiz tomorrow where I will chill by the beach getting sloshed on wine for two days while I wait for my next flight, then I’ll go to Naples to get sloshed on wine for two days while I wait for my next flight, then I’ll go to Crete where I’ll get sloshed on wine for two days...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

No one needs one.

It is completely impossible to make a logical case for getting a pilot's license or for doing it as a career. It's only ever a reasonable thing to do because flying is loving awesome, and frankly if you disagree with that, then the whole thing is a waste of your money and time.

That being said, I don't regret a single dollar I've spent to get where I am.

Exactly what he said.

Commercial aviation in the US is a spectacularly fickle industry that goes through a complete meltdown about every 10 years, whenever the US economy so much as hiccups. For the next decade or so, airlines will have to hire substantial numbers of pilots to replace retirements, but if you decide to go the airline route, be aware that you're almost certain to experience some combination of getting furloughed, having your employer file Ch.11 in order to get out of their union contracts, or have to start over at the bottom of a seniority list somewhere else when your employer files bankruptcy and liquidates.

I absolutely love what I do, but I'd have a seriously hard time recommending that someone with an established career (especially if you've got a family) spend the money to get an airline job.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

I don’t regret a single dollar of the decision that led me to flying to Cadiz tomorrow where I will chill by the beach getting sloshed on wine for two days while I wait for my next flight, then I’ll go to Naples to get sloshed on wine for two days while I wait for my next flight, then I’ll go to Crete where I’ll get sloshed on wine for two days...

Animal has truly achieved the pilots dream.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

azflyboy posted:

Exactly what he said.
I absolutely love what I do, but I'd have a seriously hard time recommending that someone with an established career (especially if you've got a family) spend the money to get an airline job.

This should be the go-to response for any flying gig advice. 25-29 sucked so hard with regards to quality of life. I’m loving the hell out of my thirties, but if I married at any early point in my life I’d be divorced now, guaranteed. Money was tight, jobs weren’t paying and the debt from learning is substantial even now that I’ve been trying to knock it down.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I think I've discovered the formula to working in aviation if you're not already established in aviation: get another job and do aviation part-time.

I work part-time for the college program from which I graduated and my role is pretty much marketing/outreach at this point since we hired somebody else to do much of the heavier lifting (class scheduling, curriculum development, student relations, financial crap). My role from here forward is basically:
-Talk to potential students about how all this works.
-Talk to kids about airplanes/helicopters/UAS.
-Operate one of the sim labs for summer camps for both kids and teachers.
-Help Air Boss the plane rides the next day at the airport and load/offload kids from their turns (and see their reactions), then get free lunches and shoot the poo poo with the CFI staff after.
-Go to schools/have people come to us and give PowerPoints, which are made more rewarding when somebody is genuinely interested and we wind up playing on FR24 for 20 minutes instead talking about IFR navigation.
-Get paid to go to the Dayton Air Show and, potentially, Oshkosh (next year; it'll never happen, let me just have this).

There are times I can't believe I'm getting paid :10bux: to do this. Best part is the flight school wants me if I ever decide to jump to the other side of the operation.

kathmandu posted:

A buddy of mine died flying for Royal Air a few years back:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2015/12/26/oakland-crash-pilot-inadequately-trained/77925070/

I wasn't super close with him or anything, but what I knew of him, he didn't seem like a reckless shithead who would get himself into a crash. So I'm inclined to believe that the poor training he received and/or the company's safety attitude was a big factor in the crash. Of course, I've got a bias here.

If it's anything like the 135 the author of Squawk 7700 was working for to build time, Holy hell...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 13, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So, it appears the person who landed a Piper Navajo on a road just short of the local international airport was, according to rumour and putting the reported pieces together, my first instructor and the person who did my CPL flight test.

Goes to show you that even a great pilot with a fuckton of experience can make a silly fuel management error.

EDIT: And that's why I like to impress on students, and other pilots who could use the occasional reminder, that when it comes to incidents caused by pilot error, it's not a matter of if you make a dumb mistake, it's a matter of when, whether you have 95 hours or 9500 hours. It's really easy to come up with "oh, I would have done X, Y and Z differently" when you're sitting on the ground analyzing poo poo after the fact.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 13, 2018

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Animal has truly achieved the pilots dream.

It’s fleeting. Soon I’ll upgrade and will be stuck flying boxes around the midwest in the middle of the night.

I was at the hotel bar last night and met a guy who achieved the real dream: retired Boston ATC collecting all those benefits, now he flies a rich guy around in his new private jet, staying in the same hotels for days. He’s even allowed to bring his hot wife.

But yeah, nice gigs are the exception.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

It’s fleeting. Soon I’ll upgrade and will be stuck flying boxes around the midwest in the middle of the night.

I’m the poor schlub trying to stay awake on the other end of the radio on the mid. Say hi.

Animal posted:

I was at the hotel bar last night and met a guy who achieved the real dream: retired Boston ATC collecting all those benefits, now he flies a rich guy around in his new private jet, staying in the same hotels for days. He’s even allowed to bring his hot wife.

Welp, now I need to get my commercial. Thanks for pointing me at a very expensive life goal.

:homebrew:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Were you the one at Atlas?

I’ll be hitting their mins next month and applying. :toot:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Were you the one at Atlas?

I’ll be hitting their mins next month and applying. :toot:

Yep, come aboard. Maybe by the time you upgrade we’ll have a new contract!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
As long as I get my foot in the door before you guys get a new one and the floodgates of applicants opens up haha.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

So, it appears the person who landed a Piper Navajo on a road just short of the local international airport was, according to rumour and putting the reported pieces together, my first instructor and the person who did my CPL flight test.

Goes to show you that even a great pilot with a fuckton of experience can make a silly fuel management error.

EDIT: And that's why I like to impress on students, and other pilots who could use the occasional reminder, that when it comes to incidents caused by pilot error, it's not a matter of if you make a dumb mistake, it's a matter of when, whether you have 95 hours or 9500 hours. It's really easy to come up with "oh, I would have done X, Y and Z differently" when you're sitting on the ground analyzing poo poo after the fact.

My instrument DPE died in a midair during a checkride a few months ago. He had tens of thousands of hours and multiple type ratings. Nobody is perfect.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Was flying over Salinas the other day and heard someone on the radio making calls from an autogyro. I couldn't spot it, but that was neato. I don't think I've ever seen one flying.

Should have written down the callsign, goddamnit

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

azflyboy posted:

That makes sense. It’s amazing he didn’t kill himself doing the lopsided maneuver he did at such a low altitude. I’m just amazed the thing could handle the Gs he pulled doing it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

That makes sense. It’s amazing he didn’t kill himself doing the lopsided maneuver he did at such a low altitude. I’m just amazed the thing could handle the Gs he pulled doing it.

I imagine he hit the "must overhaul aircraft if this is hit" g limit but thats different from the "airplane literally falls apart" g limit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A transport-category aircraft like the Q400 has to withstand at least +2.5G for certification, and when the plane is lightly loaded (i.e. no passengers and minimal fuel, as in this case) it can take more Gs without damage.

e: and yes, what hobbesmaster says also factors into it. I heard a talk by a fighter pilot once where he pointed out that the g-limit only matters if you're planning on flying the plane again later

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Aren't the G limits around +2.5G for it? If so, with the margins of safety and whatnot engineered in, not breaking up in a 3-4G pull wouldn't be surprising--though had it made it back safely to ground, I'm sure Maintenance would have a lot of work to do.

But, yeah, kinda impressed he managed to pull it out, regardless of G-loading, considering his lack of aerobatic training.

e; Yeah, the FAA margin of safety is 1.5, so a +2.5G rating should mean that it can withstand +3.75G without failing at a minimum, then what was also pointed out about being super light, etc.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 13, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

Was flying over Salinas the other day and heard someone on the radio making calls from an autogyro. I couldn't spot it, but that was neato. I don't think I've ever seen one flying.

Should have written down the callsign, goddamnit

I don’t know that I’d call what they do “flying” :downs:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
To paraphrase a famous quote... It's autorotating, with style!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Relying on what is a bad situation for a helicopter to fly seems like a good idea.

They look like they’re fun as hell though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Autorotations in a helo are just fine! I mean, right up until you try to land that way. Then it's a little more dicey.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

DrDork posted:

Aren't the G limits around +2.5G for it? If so, with the margins of safety and whatnot engineered in, not breaking up in a 3-4G pull wouldn't be surprising--though had it made it back safely to ground, I'm sure Maintenance would have a lot of work to do.

Those G limits are at gross.

Figure 39,000lbs operating empty. 69,000 heavy. That 2.5g is closer to 4g, without really hurting the plane. And you can figure there's a good 50% margin above that to compensate for fatigue life.

..... It might bend, but it wouldn't break before that pilot would.

e.pilot posted:

Relying on what is a bad situation for a helicopter to fly seems like a good idea.

They look like they’re fun as hell though.

They do everything wrong. EG: gonna stall? pull back on the stick. Pushing on the stick, will stop the rotors and cause you to die.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
Oh, don't get me wrong.......I think knowing how to fly would great. It is just the after party that I have issues with. Once I get my PPL, will I fly enough hours to justify owning a cheapo 152 or Mooney or chip into a fly-share for a better plane. I just need to think out the end-game. I doubt that I will fly commercial, not really interested in that. Guess I need to sit down and think it out.

Anyone remember when Harrison Ford landed on a taxiway instead of the runway? The pilots in the jet that he overflew were excited about seeing a vintage Husky landing so they were straining ahead trying to see him land. They never saw it land. The pilot looks out his window and sees the Husky motor-boating it down the taxiway instead. Then it dawned on them that he flew over them and landed.

Great recording of the ATC when it happened.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

RazNation posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong.......I think knowing how to fly would great. It is just the after party that I have issues with. Once I get my PPL, will I fly enough hours to justify owning a cheapo 152 or Mooney or chip into a fly-share for a better plane. I just need to think out the end-game. I doubt that I will fly commercial, not really interested in that. Guess I need to sit down and think it out.

Anyone remember when Harrison Ford landed on a taxiway instead of the runway? The pilots in the jet that he overflew were excited about seeing a vintage Husky landing so they were straining ahead trying to see him land. They never saw it land. The pilot looks out his window and sees the Husky motor-boating it down the taxiway instead. Then it dawned on them that he flew over them and landed.

Man I love landing at big airports and seeing the taxiways that have "this is a taxiway" written on it in large letters.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...24!4d-71.011817

That being said at huge airports with triple parallels or huge taxiways, I have definitely lined up on the wrong one before. Easy problem to fix a few miles out. Not so easy when you're right over top of it.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

RazNation posted:

Oddly enough, I was just watching that today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzy9jCFk0Iw

What are the penalties levied against you if you land on a taxiway like that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cigaw posted:

Oddly enough, I was just watching that today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzy9jCFk0Iw

Depends. Are you a congresscritter?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrYenko posted:

Depends. Are you a congresscritter?

Han Solo gets to land on a taxiway; congresscritters get to take off from taxiways (after earlier landing on a closed runway at that airport buzzing the construction workers fixing the runway).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cigaw posted:

Nothing if you file the NASA report fast enough! :v:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

cigaw posted:

Seattle went through a stretch where airlines were landing on a taxiway on a pretty regular basis, since there's a taxiway that's the exact same dimensions and materials as the runway, and they look almost identical when they're wet and the sun is low in the sky. As far as I know, none of those pilots were fired, and the standard thing is for the airline to take the pilots off the line, investigate what happened, maybe send them through some extra training and then release them back onto the line.

For non-airline pilots, it's generally some phone calls with the FAA, possibly a 709 ride (flying with an FAA inspector to demonstrate that you're competent to keep your pilot certificate) and some remedial training, and maybe a certificate suspension if the pilot in question did something egregiously stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

azflyboy posted:

maybe a certificate suspension if the pilot in question did something egregiously stupid.

Or argued about it with Flight Standards.