Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, essentially. There's a Lil Wayne line (in Nicki Minaj's incredible "Truffle Butter") where Wayne boasts:

"LOL to the bank checkin' my account
Bank teller flirtin' after checkin' my account"

I'm wondering if Kareem has any personal experience flirting with a customer after checking their account.

I always hit Next Track when I hear that sound effect of him lighting up

what a disappointing third act that verse is

Also, bank robbing is much more GWM than i thought it was (aside from being BWL as hell)

e: oh god, this post made a new page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I liked your post, Spokes.

And I too want to hear more about the Bicycle Bandit and his big score.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My Bicycle Bandit was a bank robber in Atlanta around 1997 who hit branches near busy malls with lots of congestion. He’d peddle up to a bank, rob it, and ride away - ditching the bike near wooded areas where he’d disappear into the trees to a parked car somewhere on the other side. Because of all the traffic it was difficult for police to get there fast enough. If you do a Google search you’ll find out there are dozens of bicycle bandits all over the country. It’s a popular way to rob banks.

Our guy probably hit a dozen banks. He was generally polite, well spoken, and not violent. He specifically asked for no dye packs, but tellers get a cash bonus for giving those out so you’d better believe we gave him all our dye packs. Then he voluntarily grabbed a couple more in the vault. He eventually got caught. They always get caught.

You can’t tell if it’s a dye pack. It’s a stack of one’s hallowed out like a book safe with real money on the top and bottom. Unless you check 3 bills of every strap you’ll never find it.

My story doesn’t compare to a co-worker who had a quiet robbery where the bandit just passes a note to a single teller. He wanted all her hundreds in straps and shoved them down his pants and walked out real casual like. Guess what denomination our dye packs came in?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Talk about getting Blue Balled!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
All seriousness I'd love a thread just on robberies and stuff. That is interesting as hell.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

UCS Hellmaker posted:

All seriousness I'd love a thread just on robberies and stuff. That is interesting as hell.

My favorite one was Anthony Curcio robbing the armored car. Involves a few dozen people from Craigslist and an inner tube floating escape plan.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
A good podcast episode about a bicycle bank robber:
http://loveandradio.org/2014/08/choir-boy/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I always hear about these big scores, this crew robs by tunneling into the security deposit boxes etc, and wonder what happens to those guys. Do they retire and live an unassuming life in some villa in switzerland? Do they turn into a bunch of Waingros and shoot each other in the amazon rainforest

canyoneer posted:

My favorite one was Anthony Curcio robbing the armored car. Involves a few dozen people from Craigslist and an inner tube floating escape plan.

the one with the safety vests right? Love that one

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Devonaut posted:

Beer derail, now that's a topic I can get behind.

Any BWM stories of idiots running running breweries into the ground? That seems like it would be the 2010s version of the restaurant owner with zero experience.

https://www.omaha.com/go/storz-trophy-room-s-lease-terminated-restaurant-has-never-paid/article_6af322e4-7287-11e5-9dc8-4fed5f2013ed.html

I guess a historic omaha brewery was brought back to life. They never paid rent of property taxes and the city kept giving them extensions. They literally had a premier location on the river in Omaha. I know at one point, a bunch of oil or grease got into one of their batches. It didn't help that the food was suppose to be just awful.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

canyoneer posted:

I liked the guy who just walked past the armored car that was parked curbside with the back open, and casually lifted a bucket of $1.6 million worth of powdered gold.

They eventually caught him in Ecuador, but props for seizing an opportunity.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Phanatic posted:

I liked the guy who just walked past the armored car that was parked curbside with the back open, and casually lifted a bucket of $1.6 million worth of powdered gold.

They eventually caught him in Ecuador, but props for seizing an opportunity.

The video shows the thief setting down the heavy bucket, putting it on his shoulder, then taking a breather. He takes another few steps and pauses again. The normally 10-minute walk takes him an hour. He then jumps into a van at 49th Street and Third Avenue.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...-411217795.html

I've hand carried only a fraction of that weight but for longer and it's absolute hell on them. I can imagine the dopamine rush he had must have been pure amphetamine. I love that they recovered "some of the money"

Officer I ate the rest

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sirotan posted:

spend less on gourds

I don't hoard! I don't hoard

Said as I slowly turn into a gourd

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Singapore had a bank robbery in 2017. A Canadian dude stole $30k and went straight to the airport and flew to Thailand. Made it to a hostel, where Thai authorities (alerted by Singapore) arrested him for not declaring the money. They have no extradition agreement with Singapore so he stayed in jail for 14 months. Thailand then decided to extradite him to Canada via Heathrow... where UK authorities arrested him for extradition to Singapore.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-idUSKBN1F50LP

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Switchback posted:

Singapore had a bank robbery in 2017. A Canadian dude stole $30k and went straight to the airport and flew to Thailand. Made it to a hostel, where Thai authorities (alerted by Singapore) arrested him for not declaring the money. They have no extradition agreement with Singapore so he stayed in jail for 14 months. Thailand then decided to extradite him to Canada via Heathrow... where UK authorities arrested him for extradition to Singapore.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-idUSKBN1F50LP

One weird trick to travel the world for free.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm impressed he made it out of Canada. I flew with 11k in my carryon once and you'd think I was packing an atomic bomb from all the scrutiny

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm impressed he made it out of Canada. I flew with 11k in my carryon once and you'd think I was packing an atomic bomb from all the scrutiny

In USD or CAD?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A story our corporate security guy told us was about a boring old bank robbery where the bandits were caught 6 hours later with all the cash still in the car trunk.

The part that was obviously meant to deter us, but that I have no reason to disbelieve, was that the recovered cash was a few thousand short. Ends up the teller pocketed a strap while she was filling the robber's bag. Had they been caught a few days later no one would have never known.

We had a bank shipment come up short and the lady who signed off on it died a month later. No idea if she was terminal and decided to go out with a bang, committed suicide, or got involved in some serious poo poo.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

In USD or CAD?

USD and flying within the USA to the USA. Canada must have very different laws!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

In USD or CAD?

Either way, it's over the legal for cross-border travelling with undeclared cash in Canada. I'm assuming you declared it, hence all the scrutiny, but GWM since they could have confiscated it if you didn't.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vd

I have a friend that came home from Bulgaria with 8k in per diem in a tight roll of medium bills and it was super heavy. We played catch with it for 20 minutes for the novelty of playing catch with 8 grand.

E. Just read your updates, I assumed you were travelling through Canada

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

God I hate civil asset forfeiture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Even Payday tends to have some exposition about why a bank happens to have huge stacks of cash on hand worth hitting the joint for. (It's a mob bank, a historic one that's never been successfully robbed, got an inside top on gold being stored there, etc)

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's literally designed so that police can steal from poor people and minorities.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He didn’t make it out of Canada, because he robbed the bank in Singapore!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The only way to get America to give a gently caress about civil asset forfeiture is make lovely comedies about it starring Kevin hart

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

He didn’t make it out of Canada, because he robbed the bank in Singapore!

I admire the way he didn’t let details get between him and a sweet brag.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I day dream that someday the Supreme Court will rule it unconstitutional and make all the federal, state, and local agencies return the money they stole.

I just want to see every D.A.R.E. Hummer or Camero and all the military surplus assault vehicles get auctioned off because “holy poo poo you mean we can’t steal from people?”

It won’t happen, but it’s a nice thought.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just want to see every D.A.R.E. Hummer or Camero and all the military surplus assault vehicles get auctioned off because “holy poo poo you mean we can’t steal from people?”

Where would the money from the auctions go?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Subjunctive posted:

To the schools, just like the lottery money is supposed to

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

To pay back all the money seized.

Like I said, it’d never happen, but conceivably if the Supreme Court ruled the practice illegal, anyone harmed by it could seek damages. It’s not like police departments put this money in the bank. They bought stupid poo poo.

A friend got railroaded on phony drug charges and spent a year trying to get his expensive TV and computer back even though he was never convicted of a crime or even went to court. Small town cops suck.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

To pay back all the money seized.

Like I said, it’d never happen, but conceivably if the Supreme Court ruled the practice illegal, anyone harmed by it could seek damages. It’s not like police departments put this money in the bank. They bought stupid poo poo.

A friend got railroaded on phony drug charges and spent a year trying to get his expensive TV and computer back even though he was never convicted of a crime or even went to court. Small town cops suck.

FTFY

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I was trying to find a post I thought I remembered from Reddit about selling plasma for extra cash, but while looking I ran into this gem from 3 years back that's 10x better (emphases added):

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/2soe0y/please_give_me_your_comments_critiques_and

Please give me your comments, critiques, and thoughts on my unique FI plan. Thanks!

quote:

u/flyingfishflying

Hi, I'm age 35 and made some really dumb financial decisions in my early twenties (I bought a bulldozer, had no insurance, and wrecked it). Through a lot of hard work, some trickery and deception and a bankruptcy, I am finally at a net worth of $0. I know that doesn't sound good at all. But if you knew the hole I was in for the last 15 years, you would totally poo poo and know I did an awesome job to get to $0.

My next goal is FI. Within a year. My plan is no doubt, very extreme and very outside the proverbial box. Please consider it with an open mind. I'm going to consume enough methanol to make myself blind. not all the way blind, that would be stupid. Just blind enough to collect permanent disability.

The only way I can think of this plan not working wold be if the government ran out of money to pay disability which, of course, is practically impossible. Even if it did it could just file bankruptcy and then get more money to begin making disability payments again.

Also, to get even more money, I won't spend all of my disability money. I will invest part of it into a three fund portfolio for the future.

I know disability doesn't pay much, but my expenses are low. Plus a friend of mine manages an IHOP and said I can eat there for free whenever I want as long as he's working at the time. Also where I live is mild temperatures all year, so I could try living in a van for a while to see if I could tolerate it. If I could do that, I'd eliminate rent expense. I could also eat and shower at homeless shelters and sell plasma.

I know this is extreme. But I'm not very smart, I don't really have any talents and I don't have much of a work ethic (I did when I was younger, but I lost it as life tends to continually chew you up and spit you out as you age).

Please let me know what you think. Thanks

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
If the plan is to be voluntarily homeless and sell plasma and rely on IHOP handouts to survive, what's the point of blinding yourself? Your SSDI payments (assuming he even worked long enough to get it) are based on your previous income and you don't even get them for the first five months of your disability. The average SSDI monthly payment is $1,197 and the theoretical max is $2,748. Given dude flipped over a bulldozer I'm going to guess he's probably closer to the average income.

Or to put it another way, you're voluntarily blinding yourself to make the equivalent of a part time entry level job.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
No no no, not all the way blind. That would be stupid. Just blind enough for SSDI.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
From the comments of his /r/personalfinance post(which is deleted but presumably said the same thing):

quote:

[–]BuildingaMan 1 point 3 years ago
You'd have to be under a doctor's care to dose methanol correctly - one other small side effect is death. You overdose and head to the ER - they put bicarbonate to work and you've got all the brain damage - and none of the blindness. Well thought out.

[–]flyingfishflying[S] 0 points 3 years ago
I can do it. I'm going to research dosages first. I'll have it fine tuned before I actually do it. You think there's a better way to get blind without stabbing or burning out my eyes??? I don't know of any

. What's bicarbonate?
What could possibly go wrong??

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

I was trying to find a post I thought I remembered from Reddit about selling plasma for extra cash, but while looking I ran into this gem from 3 years back that's 10x better (emphases added):

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/2soe0y/please_give_me_your_comments_critiques_and

Please give me your comments, critiques, and thoughts on my unique FI plan. Thanks!

This is legitimately horrifying.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

I am not very smart, but I plan to invest in a three fund portfolio for the future
No, you're a lazy git.

Jesus that post is hilarious. He still thinks he can drive while getting disability payments. hahaha

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Suspicious Lump posted:

No, you're a lazy git.

Jesus that post is hilarious. He still thinks he can drive while getting disability payments. hahaha

He thinks he's smart enough to precisely calculate the amount of methanol he needs to drink to blind him a little but not just kill him.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
GWM: go blind by staring at the sun instead of buying methanol. Hell, just learn not to flinch and pretend to be blind, at least for a test run. Bonus opportunity for a "miracle cure" when you realise you hosed up!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

No, you're a lazy git.

When I think of lazy people on disability, I always assume the best - either they have a legit disability that happened naturally or as a result of something dumb they did (diving into a shallow pool, flying off an atv, etc). I never thought that someone would have the motivation to voluntarily, permanently disable themselves to go on disability. I figured that was for people in the military wanting to get out of a war zone or something.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

SpelledBackwards posted:

I think this is the most BWM and BWL thing I've ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I see your “blind myself for SSDI” and raise you Nub Club, a town in Florida whose residents blew their own limbs off for the insurance payout with such alarming regularity that by the end of the 1950’s the area was responsible for 2/3rd of the loss of limb payouts in the US.

quote:

"There was another man who took out insurance with 28 or 38 companies," said Murray Armstrong, an insurance official for Liberty National. "He was a farmer and ordinarily drove around the farm in his stick shift pickup. This day - the day of the accident - he drove his wife's automatic transmission car and he lost his left foot. If he'd been driving his pickup, he'd have had to use that foot for the clutch. He also had a tourniquet in his pocket. We asked why he had it and he said, 'Snakes. In case of snake bite.' He'd taken out so much insurance he was paying premiums that cost more than his income. He wasn't poor, either. Middle class. He collected more than $1 million from all the companies. It was hard to make a jury believe a man would shoot off his foot."