Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm liking Sirius the Jaeger a lot. I'm 4 episodes in at the moment (about to watch 5) and it's still holding up, although I'd like to get more development on the rest of the Jaeger team now that Yuily's backstory is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Endorph posted:

these sociological problems in japan go way beyond the abe administration and the need to tie everything bad in politics to one specific person is kind of annoying, especially when it's an area of politics you only have second hand knowledge of

that episode of kitarou deserves a ton of praise for what its trying to do and for being a good episode in general, not because its an epic own on any one specific person. Also, the author of Kitarou fought in world war 2 and wrote an autobiography about it, as well as including some elements of that into kitarou. Toei definitely deserves credit for taking the ball and running with it, but it's not something they threw into the franchise apropos of nothing because of some specific direction, it's just an accurate adaptation/modernization of the original material.

edit: iunno where 'kintarou' came from lol

My impression is that it's a pretty rare take, the closest thing I can remember is how in Gatchaman Crowds one character seems to imply that Japan was in the wrong mood in WW2 and it already felt hella subversive

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm liking Sirius the Jaeger a lot. I'm 4 episodes in at the moment (about to watch 5) and it's still holding up, although I'd like to get more development on the rest of the Jaeger team now that Yuily's backstory is out.
It's pretty good! I wish it had chosen one of the other hunters as protagonist, as Yuliy arc is well-trodden. The character designs are great, and the animation is full of little extra flourishes. Great sound design, just a polished production all around.

They're clearly having a lot of fun making it. Look at this ridiculous throne room.

Look at this man's bullshit suit.

It's great.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah the vampire elders and that guy's entourage were a fun change of pace. I'm enjoying the period setting as well and man the sound, like when Yuily is fighting and poo poo hits his staff, or that elevator scene.

e: I kinda feel like this show is what Kabaneri was hyped up to be but let everyone down as far as mood, action, production, etc. I'm cautiously hopefully it'll hold up through the season.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 12, 2018

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
StJ ep 5 had the introduction of a much more interesting character

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cheers another cute cat anime after She & Her Cat :3:

I read the manga a while ago and it's adorable.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Sindai posted:

Hanebado is ridiculous and I love it.

:agreed:

Also, I don't agree that most characters aren't 'acting human'. Ayano, her backstory and her rivals are definitely on the sillier end of melodrama but there's still plenty in there to connect to

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Cheers another cute cat anime after She & Her Cat :3:

I read the manga a while ago and it's adorable.

:yeah: it's super cute!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's cute but it features the cat taking care of the guy which everyone who has ever had a cat knows is highly improbable.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I beg to differ, cats will kill things for you because the cat knows you're going to starve without help

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Sometimes they bring you something alive and try to teach you how to catch food 'cause you're looking a little thin for a cat y'know

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
My cat will wake me (and the rest of the house) up at 2 a.m. just to bring me a dead bird cuz it missed me having dinner last night

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Knorth posted:

:agreed:

Also, I don't agree that most characters aren't 'acting human'. Ayano, her backstory and her rivals are definitely on the sillier end of melodrama but there's still plenty in there to connect to

I'd be way more forgiving if 1.) literally any of Ayano's alleged friends would notice that she's basically got PTSD from her mom running out on her (over a game, by all appearances) and some random loving assholes deliberately rubbing salt in that wound and/or 2.) The show stopped expecting me to sympathise with Connie and Kaoruko because they lost a game of Badminton after spending entire episodes being the absolute loving worst.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Do they know? She's been in the club for what a few weeks at this point. I assume Elena knows some details but I don't know, I can't see her just going around filling everyone in on her trauma. Maybe when there's an actual confrontation it'll come out

I don't think the show having five minutes of her bratty rivals discovering that they're not, in fact, The Best and commiserating with their teammates is really that much of a big deal either

There are also other characters

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Symbolic Butt posted:

My impression is that it's a pretty rare take, the closest thing I can remember is how in Gatchaman Crowds one character seems to imply that Japan was in the wrong mood in WW2 and it already felt hella subversive

What the hell are you talking about, there's tons of anti-war anime.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
someone get that person a sexier butt av

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

I so need to rewatch those seasons at some point.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

an actual dog posted:

Reconguista in G is extremely explicitly about why Japan shouldn't remilitarize.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

Japan exists outside of anime.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

an actual dog posted:

Not specifically about Japan though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lol

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[looks at grave of the fireflies, akira, evangelion]

lol

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there are more but im on the toilet right now, you get the idea

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

[looks at grave of the fireflies, akira, evangelion]

lol

It's only an anti-war anime if the entire cast and assembles together, stares right at the viewer and apologize for Japanese war crimes personally.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
okay back reading and whoops, i didn't mean to take away from the fact that shows are tackling japan's revisionist history wrt to WW2 directly, it absolutely is. i just saw Anti-War Stories Are Rare

but yeah japanese media has been exploring anti-war ideas in it's media for decades

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Yeah sorry for not being clearer, it wasn't about being anti-war, it was specifically about "Japan was bad". I don't know much about japanese media this is why I posted because it did seem special to me. :smith:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
on the other hand shin godzilla is anti article 9 and its also a very good movie

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

media that solely depicts japan as a victim is a poor excuse for anti war media, imagine if germany only made endless movies about dresden. they commonly avoid anything that actually engages with the subject matter besides civilians getting hurt. actual media that engages with the war in other ways is rare and mainly falls within lines of rehabilitation (yamato), propaganda aimed at popularizing the military (kancolle, gup and so on), badly executed revisionism (joker game and other of its ilk) and a variety of alternative history.

true introspective media that comes near anything germany, america or russia has put out is rare and i can count the examples on 1 hand (the fantastic fires on the plain, mouryo no hako and the forgotten tsuki ga noboru made ni). the mangaka hoshino yukinobu has also put out several critical and introspective manga, which got him harassed and lead to him being forbidden to write anymore on the subject. i dont think its any surprise tsuki has no available releases outside of a vhs tv recording either. note also that both anime mentioned here came from sources outside the anime industry, a book series and a concert adaption respectively

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah Grave of the Fireflies relates exactly to the issue the show identifies, where the popular impression of the war is "we Japanese got attacked".

Worth noting this ties into Japanese *pro-war* propaganda during the war, which is all about people suffering nobly.

A comparison of US and Japanese propaganda posted:

Documentaries—not in the strictest sense in terms of objectivity but rather like Capra’s propaganda-style documentaries—were also used in Japanese propaganda.  Even before the war when Japan was not at war with the United States, they brought out the suffering aspects of war in order to elicit empathy from audiences.  In 1939, Kamei Fumio’s Fighting Soldiers and Tasaka Tomotaka’s Mud and Soldiers displayed the relentless tedium and emotional drain of the Japanese forces in China. Fumio’s film showed so much suffering.  Unlike U.S. films, which portrayed an invincible U.S. military and carried vengeful, often racist tones, Japan took the position of underdog. Footage from the war with China or with Russia didn’t show so much war itself than it did how the war affected the Japanese.  The directors most likely sought to create empathy and a sense of need even when Japan had the upper hand.  The effect it had was the material as well as moral support from the country.  They were the victims of war who were simply struggling for their own honorable survival amidst the chaos, which they themselves were helping to create. 

https://msu.edu/~navarro6/srop.html#Japan

Fangz fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 13, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C9Dintbj9U

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Davincie posted:

media that solely depicts japan as a victim is a poor excuse for anti war media, imagine if germany only made endless movies about dresden. they commonly avoid anything that actually engages with the subject matter besides civilians getting hurt. actual media that engages with the war in other ways is rare and mainly falls within lines of rehabilitation (yamato), propaganda aimed at popularizing the military (kancolle, gup and so on), badly executed revisionism (joker game and other of its ilk) and a variety of alternative history.

true introspective media that comes near anything germany, america or russia has put out is rare and i can count the examples on 1 hand (the fantastic fires on the plain, mouryo no hako and the forgotten tsuki ga noboru made ni). the mangaka hoshino yukinobu has also put out several critical and introspective manga, which got him harassed and lead to him being forbidden to write anymore on the subject. i dont think its any surprise tsuki has no available releases outside of a vhs tv recording either. note also that both anime mentioned here came from sources outside the anime industry, a book series and a concert adaption respectively

Fangz posted:

Yeah Grave of the Fireflies relates exactly to the issue the show identifies, where the popular impression of the war is "we Japanese got attacked".

Worth noting this ties into Japanese *pro-war* propaganda during the war, which is all about people suffering nobly.

I see what you're saying and I'm not trying to keep arguing this, but when hundreds of thousands of citizens are horribly, horribly genocided in large part due to american hawkishness, you're allowed to make some media that explores that without being told "Be more like America and Germany"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

I see what you're saying and I'm not trying to keep arguing this, but when hundreds of thousands of citizens are horribly, horribly genocided in large part due to american hawkishness, you're allowed to make some media that explores that without being told "Be more like America and Germany"

This is a rather disingenuous point, no one is saying the Japanese needs to 'be more like America' (!?!), nobody is advocating that Grave of the Fireflies be banned or whatever. also oh boy there's a whole argument about how you are using the word genocide and hawkishness here

The point is that Japan has its own cultural landscape with its own lovely nationalist issues and it's good to see a good show fighting that in the local context.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 13, 2018

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Fangz posted:

Takahata himself didn't consider Grave of the Fireflies to be anti-war but I couldn't find a good source on what he means exactly by this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently I'm v wrong whoops

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 13, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

Takahata himself didn't consider Grave of the Fireflies to be anti-war but I couldn't find a good source on what he means exactly by this.

Well, this is what he said

quote:

Somewhat surprisingly, however, Takahata says “Grave of the Fireflies” is not an anti-war film despite depicting the tragedy caused by World War II.

Just talking about the atrocities of war will not prevent another war from happening, he says, because there will always be people who insist that Japan needs to strengthen its military so that it never suffers such an ignominious defeat again.

“Japan was devastated by the war,” Takahata says. “We should never forget that, just as we should never forget that we also inflicted a lot of suffering on other countries. However, nobody knows how horrifying a war is going to be at the beginning of hostilities. ‘Grave of the Fireflies’ isn’t an anti-war film simply because it cannot prevent another war from happening.”
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2015/09/12/films/isao-takahatas-stark-world-reality/#.W3FwQK3TVhE

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Night Raid 1931 wasn't quite brave enough to whole heartedly condemn the war on china.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
B: The Beginning is about the war on terror and how bringing back your troops brings back unhinged lunatics will slaughter their fellow countrymen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It was kind of funny how Iron-Blooded Orphans had the brutal, unscrupulous definitely-not-Douglas-MacArthur character stomp the heroes into the dust, cast them as the real villains, take over the solar system, turn their aristocratic friend into a puppet-queen... and bring world peace, democracy, and the end of the slave trade.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

thinkin bout patlabor 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
still need to get into patlabor

i own patlabor 2 on dvd cause i got it at the dollar store and thought it was cool anime was at the dollar store, didnt really know what patlabor was

• Locked thread