Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

SonicRulez posted:

This is the really annoying bit. All the enemies have infinity defense, so you need to have everyone doing top tier DPS or else your chain will drop. Not only that, but apparently there's a glitch where some kills aren't registering and your chain will die anyway. So you can't even turn your brain off and grind mindlessly. You have to grind with a lot of effort for very little reward.

Oh so it's original flavor diadem again. Didn't they get this feedback the first time, or did not enough people say that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The dumbest part about eureka is they made it as hard as possible to do this content with your friends unless you progress at the exact same rate as them.

i think i would lose friends if i ever convinced them to do pagos with me

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Pagos with friends would work great if all of my friends were bots. And also I was a bot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Ninja running animation is so much worse than the Rogue one. It's so stupid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Ninja running animation is so much worse than the Rogue one. It's so stupid.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a little over level 23 in Pagos after about nine hours of grinding in chain parties (or, attempting to at least), with a large majority of my challenge log entries finished. Fought about a half dozen NMs during that time because they're simply spawning much slower than Anemos. Not having access to the NM train makes it an awful, awful grind, especially when you get a chain party that literally can't make it over chain 20 because people are just not hitting buttons or always going AFK.

I was starting to mentally preparing myself to at least reach the level cap and try and upgrade one of the relics I wasted time getting in Anemos.

Shortly afterwards someone posted the elemental EXP curve in Discord for levels 21-35.

:smithicide:

I've been able to handle the relic grind in both ARR and HW, for multiple weapons each tier. I don't think I'll be able to do it this time around.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 13, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Schneider Heim posted:

I got SMN and SCH, tried getting into a dungeon as SCH and got matched with sprouts at Haukke Manor. The tank said they forgot about the place (and ignored the first room where the first key was), we wiped due to overpulling Succubi, the THM facepulled ahead of the group, and no one else tried to put the Void Lamps out (we almost wiped due to the tank not bothering to aggro the trash, which went to me instead).

People that don't turn off lamps deserve no healing. :colbert:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

People that don't turn off lamps deserve no healing. :colbert:

Is letting people die due to ignoring mechanics an acceptable teaching tool

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It seems to work for Alliance Raid Roulette.

Usually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I'm a little over level 23 in Pagos after about nine hours of grinding in chain parties (or, attempting to at least), with a large majority of my challenge log entries finished. Fought about a half dozen NMs during that time because they're simply spawning much slower than Anemos. Not having access to the NM train makes it an awful, awful grind, especially when you get a chain party that literally can't make it over chain 20 because people are just not hitting buttons or always going AFK.

I was starting to mentally preparing myself to at least reach the level cap and try and upgrade one of the relics I wasted time getting in Anemos.

Shortly afterwards someone posted the elemental EXP curve in Discord for levels 21-35.

:smithicide:

I've been able to handle the relic grind in both ARR and HW, for multiple weapons each tier. I don't think I'll be able to do it this time around.

I wonder if there's some faster way of leveling that people just haven't discovered yet or if they legitimately think this is working as intended.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if there's some faster way of leveling that people just haven't discovered yet or if they legitimately think this is working as intended.

I.mean given how nerfed nm exp drop rates and spawn rates are I feel like the nm train as not intended at all and the designers are a little against it.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The FFXI devs working on this are 100% against fun, and common sense.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The dumbest part about eureka is they made it as hard as possible to do this content with your friends unless you progress at the exact same rate as them.
This accurately emulates the FFXI launch-era experience that Eureka is going for. :geno:

Vadoc posted:

:yeah:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alphinaud has some ambitious goals there.

Vadoc posted:

Look, if you make content so obnoxious that only the most hardcore players will be willing to do it, it lets those players feel special and "elite." Adding enjoyable things like "a story" and "quests that don't just involve repeatedly killing things" just means you aren't a serious enough gamer.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?

Schneider Heim posted:

I got SMN and SCH, tried getting into a dungeon as SCH and got matched with sprouts at Haukke Manor. The tank said they forgot about the place (and ignored the first room where the first key was), we wiped due to overpulling Succubi, the THM facepulled ahead of the group, and no one else tried to put the Void Lamps out (we almost wiped due to the tank not bothering to aggro the trash, which went to me instead).

So... how do I play SCH? At level 31 I don't seem to have an equivalent to Medica, have a vanilla heal and a heal with shield... I guess I use shield+heal on the tank, then? Which fairy should I have out? I summoned Eos before the final boss and I think that might have prevented us from wiping.

Utilizing your fairy is a huge part of playing SCH well. Don't just leave your fairy on auto-pilot the whole time, because if you've got your fairy set to follow you, it'll prioritize staying close to you over actually healing. If you manually place your fairy somewhere good (usually the middle of the fight area. just someplace where it can reach everyone), it'll do a lot more healing. Just remember to tell it to follow you again when you move on from the area. Also, get used to manually using your fairy's abilities. Eos' spell Whispering Dawn is a fantastic group heal, but if they're set to auto-cast it, they'll use it right at the start of a fight when it's probably not needed. Selene's spell Fey Wind is a nice little damage boost that you shouldn't ignore, but if you need more healing, stick with Eos.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ytlaya posted:

Look, if you make content so obnoxious that only the most hardcore players will be willing to do it, it lets those players feel special and "elite." Adding enjoyable things like "a story" and "quests that don't just involve repeatedly killing things" just means you aren't a serious enough gamer.

Challenge log isn't quests though. The entries don't have the nice exclamation or daily bubbles over them. The FFXI devs are backwards even about proper presentation :argh:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Challenge log isn't quests though. The entries don't have the nice exclamation or daily bubbles over them. The FFXI devs are backwards even about proper presentation :argh:

That just means they're trying to make the game even more Pure than FFXI was.

edit: The final form of the Final Fantasy MMO will be an image of a crystal that players stare at, and it records how long they've been staring at it. The only interactive online component is a website showing how long other players have been staring at the crystal.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

UHD posted:

i think i would lose friends if i ever convinced them to do pagos with me

I think if I had 7 friends who were all going to be on at the same time as me, I could see getting through it. I could bullshit with my friends for a few hours over the grind. However, I do not have 7 idiot friends that I could trick into doing Pagos with me. Partly because I do not have 7 friends.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The message on Something Awful that says I have no inbox messages because no one likes me is the closest thing I have to a friend.

I don't think it'll purchase a subscription, though.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

So... how do I play SCH? At level 31 I don't seem to have an equivalent to Medica, have a vanilla heal and a heal with shield... I guess I use shield+heal on the tank, then? Which fairy should I have out? I summoned Eos before the final boss and I think that might have prevented us from wiping.

Adding to what others have said, the very basic way to think of it is that Eos boosts your healing power, while Selene boosts your offensive power, thanks to their two signature skills (Whispering Dawn and Fey Wind). This isn't quite correct, but it's good enough until you actually get the hang of things. Notably, Selene doesn't get Fey Wind until level 40. Don't use Selene until then.

At level 31, you have the following healing moves:

Physick: Heal a thing.
Adloquium: Heal a thing for 75% what Physick does, but also nullify that much damage. Also you spend 250% the MP. In short, spend 250% MP for 150% the power of Physick. That math isn't happy. That doesn't make Adlo bad, but it should tell you how much you ought to be using it for healing.
Esuna: If you've ever played an RPG before, then you know when and how to use this.
Embrace: It's like Physick if it also did damage to an enemy, when you think about it.
Whispering Dawn: This is like two Physicks on everyone spread over the next twenty seconds and also lets you do damage, when you think about it.

Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't need more than those last two for 70-100% of a dungeon for ten to fifteen levels. If you think you do, either your party sucks or you're not attacking enough. Don't forget Energy Drain is there for more damage. The main exception is Adloquium. Before every fight, put this on your tank. You'll regen the MP before you notice the cost, and this will mitigate some damage. It's basically free MP. If your tank likes to run around corners and break LOS and otherwise just not sit still, use Swiftcast. No one should be dying less than a minute into any fight (at this level) unless your party sucks or you dismiss your fairy and also stop pressing buttons.

Sometimes your party sucks. In that case, cast Physick on whoever you like best. If you're paranoid, cast Adloquium. Once. Maybe twice, but if it's a real panic situation where something blows through a Galvanize before the situation gets stabilized then it probably doesn't matter what you do. Either way, never Adlo a target that already has Galvanize on. You'll look stupid.

That said, it's far better to not let that situation happen in the first place. You can avoid your party sucking costing you all joy in life by putting Eos on Obey. Then, follow this simple process:

1) Start a fight.
2) Make sure you're vaguely near your party. A little closer, actually, since your fairy follows behind you. Really, though, you just care about the tank.
3) Wait for the initial Flash/Overpower/Unleash.
4) Use Whispering Dawn.
5) Do whatever. I suggest /songbird if you've got a nice looking outfit to pair with it, but I suppose Miasma, Bio, Bane, Energy Drain, and then Ruin is a decent second place.
6) When Whispering Dawn lights up again, press it.
7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 until there are no more enemies. Maybe use Physic and Adlo if you feel like trying the Honest Healer life a bit.

Bad parties look a lot better at spamming Heavy Thrust when you make sure Whispering Dawn is active all the time when you're fighting (and not going off between fights leaving it on cooldown when you need it).

If you want to get really fancy, then follow the earlier poster's advice and get used to Placing Eos in a fight so she doesn't waste time moving unnecessarily. If you do that, don't forget to call her back with Heel. You look like a moron if you go into a fight without your fairy. Like, earlier when I said if you Adlo someone with Galvanize you look stupid? Well, this is like doing that twice.

On everyone.

Later on you'll get Succor, an AOE heal. Don't use this.

I mean like, it's got its place, just like Adlo does, and with a bit of thinking you'll figure out its uses and how it's actually super cool and make you look awesome. Usually though you're better served by letting Embrace and Whispering Dawn handle that while you shoot more poison and lasers.

Later on you'll also get Sacred Soil, a placeable damage mitigation barrier. Like Succor, it also has its place. Like Succor, you probably want to consider its resources for more productive uses (i.e. Bane and Energy Drain).

Later on you'll also also get Lustrate. That's at level 50 though. Once you get there you'll probably be able to figure out when to use what. Lustrate will spoil you and make all other forms of healing feel weak and slow.

If you really want to practice using Scholar though, go fight Ifrit. Everything you do in the Ifrit fight is what you'll be doing almost all the time until 50.

Yes, you don't have most of your kit. No, it doesn't matter. Just act like everything through Aurum Vale is Ifrit and you'll be doing it right.

Don't forget Energy Drain.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hello. I'm just here to say I like the Rathalos gear and I feel like I really get into the role of a hunter of monsters.

That is all. As you were.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Trasson posted:

Adding to what others have said, the very basic way to think of it is that Eos boosts your healing power, while Selene boosts your offensive power, thanks to their two signature skills (Whispering Dawn and Fey Wind). This isn't quite correct, but it's good enough until you actually get the hang of things. Notably, Selene doesn't get Fey Wind until level 40. Don't use Selene until then.

At level 31, you have the following healing moves:

Physick: Heal a thing.
Adloquium: Heal a thing for 75% what Physick does, but also nullify that much damage. Also you spend 250% the MP. In short, spend 250% MP for 150% the power of Physick. That math isn't happy. That doesn't make Adlo bad, but it should tell you how much you ought to be using it for healing.
Esuna: If you've ever played an RPG before, then you know when and how to use this.
Embrace: It's like Physick if it also did damage to an enemy, when you think about it.
Whispering Dawn: This is like two Physicks on everyone spread over the next twenty seconds and also lets you do damage, when you think about it.

Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't need more than those last two for 70-100% of a dungeon for ten to fifteen levels. If you think you do, either your party sucks or you're not attacking enough. Don't forget Energy Drain is there for more damage. The main exception is Adloquium. Before every fight, put this on your tank. You'll regen the MP before you notice the cost, and this will mitigate some damage. It's basically free MP. If your tank likes to run around corners and break LOS and otherwise just not sit still, use Swiftcast. No one should be dying less than a minute into any fight (at this level) unless your party sucks or you dismiss your fairy and also stop pressing buttons.

Sometimes your party sucks. In that case, cast Physick on whoever you like best. If you're paranoid, cast Adloquium. Once. Maybe twice, but if it's a real panic situation where something blows through a Galvanize before the situation gets stabilized then it probably doesn't matter what you do. Either way, never Adlo a target that already has Galvanize on. You'll look stupid.

That said, it's far better to not let that situation happen in the first place. You can avoid your party sucking costing you all joy in life by putting Eos on Obey. Then, follow this simple process:

1) Start a fight.
2) Make sure you're vaguely near your party. A little closer, actually, since your fairy follows behind you. Really, though, you just care about the tank.
3) Wait for the initial Flash/Overpower/Unleash.
4) Use Whispering Dawn.
5) Do whatever. I suggest /songbird if you've got a nice looking outfit to pair with it, but I suppose Miasma, Bio, Bane, Energy Drain, and then Ruin is a decent second place.
6) When Whispering Dawn lights up again, press it.
7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 until there are no more enemies. Maybe use Physic and Adlo if you feel like trying the Honest Healer life a bit.

Bad parties look a lot better at spamming Heavy Thrust when you make sure Whispering Dawn is active all the time when you're fighting (and not going off between fights leaving it on cooldown when you need it).

If you want to get really fancy, then follow the earlier poster's advice and get used to Placing Eos in a fight so she doesn't waste time moving unnecessarily. If you do that, don't forget to call her back with Heel. You look like a moron if you go into a fight without your fairy. Like, earlier when I said if you Adlo someone with Galvanize you look stupid? Well, this is like doing that twice.

On everyone.

Later on you'll get Succor, an AOE heal. Don't use this.

I mean like, it's got its place, just like Adlo does, and with a bit of thinking you'll figure out its uses and how it's actually super cool and make you look awesome. Usually though you're better served by letting Embrace and Whispering Dawn handle that while you shoot more poison and lasers.

Later on you'll also get Sacred Soil, a placeable damage mitigation barrier. Like Succor, it also has its place. Like Succor, you probably want to consider its resources for more productive uses (i.e. Bane and Energy Drain).

Later on you'll also also get Lustrate. That's at level 50 though. Once you get there you'll probably be able to figure out when to use what. Lustrate will spoil you and make all other forms of healing feel weak and slow.

If you really want to practice using Scholar though, go fight Ifrit. Everything you do in the Ifrit fight is what you'll be doing almost all the time until 50.

Yes, you don't have most of your kit. No, it doesn't matter. Just act like everything through Aurum Vale is Ifrit and you'll be doing it right.

Don't forget Energy Drain.

Thank you, this very helpful! Does SMN also depend heavily on pet placement?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Schneider Heim posted:

oh boy oh boy oh boy is school in session

Scholar's mildly annoying in low-level stuff because you don't start getting your cool buttons until level 50 or so. At level 31, you are pretty limited in what you can actually do; you have Adloquium, which is a decent single target heal with an equally decent shield attached, and Physick, which is...not going to get a ton of use from here on out. You get Succor at level 35, and it's certainly useful, but you don't want to lean on it too hard because it's a huge MP hog.

This is offset by the fact that, in leveling content, Eos can do most of your job for you unless you get a particularly BIG PULLING TANK in Stone Vigil or something. You should always have a faerie out; Dissipation, which eats your faerie in exchange for a full Aetherflow stack and a 20% healing magic boost, is the only exception and you don't get that until level 60 anyways. Put Eos on Obey (don't micromanage Embrace unless you want to drive yourself insane) and get used to managing her cooldowns; Whispering Dawn is a great AOE regen, and Fey Covenant can blunt incoming damage quite a lot. I'm going to be contrary to everyone else and say that manually placing Eos is a bit of a waste outside of EX/Savage content. It's technically better than letting her follow you, but it's totally unnecessary, and also kind of a pain, plus it's virtually guaranteed that you'll forget to put her back on Follow at least once or twice a dungeon.

FWIW, Scholar is certainly functional in sub-50 dungeons, but it doesn't really start to shine until you get instacast Aetherflow-fueled heals. Once you unlock those, you suddenly become a very mobile healer that absolutely shines at fast reflexive healing, and can seamlessly weave between healing and doing damage. And you still have shields for when you need those. And you have a ton of other buttons to fill every healing niche out there. It's a great job once you get past the meh early levels and steep learning curve!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Seasonal Event on Cactuar went from people talking about the jumping puzzle to a bunch of Miqo'te trying to eRP everyone in a 500 foot radius in about 30 minutes.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I haven't been home to try Pagos yet but it sounds exactly like what I was afraid of. The NM train was the only thing that made Eureka tolerable (even fun at times), but it wasn't their intended design so they took offense to it and doubled down on the bad design and nerfed the unintentional good parts.

I did Amenos, but gently caress this. Address the real issues for gently caress's sake.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Luckily Pagos is optional side content, just skip it and do any of all the actual great content XIV has to offer instead.
And if majority of players skip out on Eureka(and sounds like even JP don't like Pagos) then the devs may think twice about putting that kind of content into the game in future.

Anemos was tolerable to allright, Pagos is just no... Even FFXI leveling never felt this dull, unrewarding and mind numbing.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I think we're all also forgetting the worst part of the new relics overall. It will be literally impossible to get any of them int he next expansion, because no one is going to go back to Anemos/Pagos/etc., but with Zeta and Anima, you can solo/do roulettes/queue for the dungeon parts.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has anyone found out what the reward for getting to the very top of the tower is?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think we're all also forgetting the worst part of the new relics overall. It will be literally impossible to get any of them int he next expansion, because no one is going to go back to Anemos/Pagos/etc., but with Zeta and Anima, you can solo/do roulettes/queue for the dungeon parts.
Yeah, that's why you gotta do them now, so you'll be one of the few players that ever manage to get a cool eureka weapon and a t-rex mount

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

super sweet best pal posted:

Has anyone found out what the reward for getting to the very top of the tower is?
Eureka

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thinking about what happened to Zenos' body. We know it's an Ascian, but which is it? My stupid guess: Zenos had merged with Shinryu, who was created using the eyes of Nidhogg, which were previously used by Thordan to devour Lahabrea's aether. I really hope it's him somehow, I want to see how much of a joke he still is with Zenos' strength.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Thinking about what happened to Zenos' body. We know it's an Ascian, but which is it? My stupid guess: Zenos had merged with Shinryu, who was created using the eyes of Nidhogg, which were previously used by Thordan to devour Lahabrea's aether. I really hope it's him somehow, I want to see how much of a joke he still is with Zenos' strength.

Given the post-credit sting from 4.0, it's almost definitely Elidibus.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I have never once hit dissipation.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saint Freak posted:

I have never once hit dissipation.

I think I used it once or twice when spamming A1S to get more Energy Drains. That's..about it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I want with all my heart for it to be Lahabrea.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

pagos sucks, eh? who could have predicted this?! :yeshaha:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm hoping they'll eventually take away the lesson that FFXI is the last game you should try and mimic, there's plenty of FF nostalgia to draw on without going to the Actual Worst One.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Please look forward to our FF3DS content

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vitamean posted:

I want with all my heart for it to be Lahabrea.

This would be kind of funny and I'd be down. Especially since if fake-Zenos is Lahabrea, that means what's going on now may not actually be part of Elidibus' plan and is instead a cockamamie scheme by Lahabrea to cause havoc.

Opening the possibility that we have an awkward team-up with Gaius, Elidibus, and elf-Zenos to dunk on him before returning to our four-way rumble.

Elf-Zenos is totally real Zenos with an Echo-powered body snatching thing going on though. Him being independently possessed by two different Ascians would just be strange.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

All signs so far point to Elidibus, if only because of Elidibus taking off his hood to show his face to Varis (4.0), people talking about Zenos still being alive (4.1), Zenos being shown alive (4.2), and then Zenos with Varis (4.3).

That said, there is no solid confirmation yet, so they could pull a bait and switch.