Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why enjoy that stuff? There’s no new perspective or revelation. It’s just the same beats from Breaking Bad but worse. Nacho is the only interesting part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Yeah he’s an open book for them to write, really. He could meet a brutal, brutal end or he could get ‘out’ somehow.. but it’s unlikely that he gets to walk away from the life he’s chosen. From his brief mention in BB, all we know is that at some point it sounds like Saul and Nacho both screw over this Lalo character, maybe together, maybe just Nacho on his own, but either way Saul is pretty readily willing to let him take the blame. Or maybe Saul was just trying to throw anyone but himself under the bus.

Of course if we’re going to take everything Saul ever said as canon, we’ve got 2 divorces to go through between here and Breaking Bad

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I hope we get a scene of Mike tracking/staking out Walter, before Saul walks into his school.

And I hope it takes 15 minutes and is mainly Mike drinking a coffee and putting a tracker in Walt’s gas cap because gently caress you guys.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why enjoy that stuff? There’s no new perspective or revelation. It’s just the same beats from Breaking Bad but worse. Nacho is the only interesting part of it.

Since Nacho is the main perspective we see the Cartel stuff pan out through I think it's perfectly fine, as well as that the stuff in the last season where we saw Hector's conflict with Gus was fantastic since it gave the vendetta between the two men, which was honestly poorly fleshed out in Breaking Bad, a lot more context so you could properly see how Hector was perceived prior to becoming crippled and that led to stuff like Hector waltzing into Los Pollos Hermanos to cause trouble during working hours and Gus having to give his employees a real :911: speech to prevent the situation from getting out of control.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I hope somebody got fired for this blunder

Alright, Chuck.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chadzok posted:

Yeah he’s an open book for them to write, really. He could meet a brutal, brutal end or he could get ‘out’ somehow.. but it’s unlikely that he gets to walk away from the life he’s chosen. From his brief mention in BB, all we know is that at some point it sounds like Saul and Nacho both screw over this Lalo character, maybe together, maybe just Nacho on his own, but either way Saul is pretty readily willing to let him take the blame. Or maybe Saul was just trying to throw anyone but himself under the bus.

Of course if we’re going to take everything Saul ever said as canon, we’ve got 2 divorces to go through between here and Breaking Bad

Just one, actually. Jimmy mentions in the Season 1 finale that the guy he Chicago Sunroof'd was screwing his wife.

The real problem with that line is that Jimmy doesn't have a stepdad.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The big difference between BCS and BB is that the stakes felt a lot higher in BB because every character was in near-constant danger. Due to the prequel nature of BCS, most of the main characters are in no peril at all because we know they have to live to a certain point (Jimmy, Mike, Gus), or are in too much peril because their proximity to Jimmy makes it unrealistic that they would be non-existent in the BB timeline (Chuck, Kim, Howard). That isn't to say the journey isn't enjoyable, but there is an element of predetermination to BCS whereas BB was uncapped.

On the pro-BCS side, I think another key difference is that all the main characters in this show are highly intelligent, which lends itself to snappier dialogue and more intricate cat and mouse situations. BB derives a lot of its power from the raw emotion of average people being thrust into chaotic situations they aren't mentally prepared to handle.

It really just depends what type of suspense you're looking for in your tv shows, sudden and chaotic, or slow and calculating.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mario death mask posted:

This is an amazing show but the one thing that’s getting to me is the lack of attention to period detail. I know it’s not that far in the past but certain things stick out:

-The guy mike stole the badge from drives a contemporary crossover with led taillights, probably a BMW or Mercedes from the roofline. LED lighting did exist for cars at that point but crossovers largely didn’t.

-The cut of the suits is very contemporary and not really what people were wearing in 2001; see Howard’s contrasting collar- much more recently in fashion and not something you would have seen back then. See late run Frasier for the kind of boxiness that was still in vogue at that time.

-That IKEA backsplash that’s showing up in a lot of tv, and people’s current irl homes.

There’s more anachronistic details if you’re looking for them- it’s a great show but this one aspect feels somewhat sloppily done. It doesn’t seem far enough back in time to have to worry about these details since it’s our living memory, but that’s precisely what makes it so jarring.

I will just never understand people like you.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
hey now

It's people like him who keep us from noticing just when this show was really filmed.

Thank you for your service

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I know absolutely nothing about cars or men's suits, so getting the cell phones, computers, and newspaper headlines right was good enough for me

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
im very upset they didn't poor tonnes of money and effort into finding and restoring a pristine 2002 suv for a throwaway scene

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hmm, pay money to buy an old car and restore it so it looks new or get a free car and get paid to advertise it?

Difficult choices.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I always figured BCS wasn't trying to ape a specific era as much as just a general notion of "the recent past".

Like there would probably be waaaaaayyyyy more 9/11 in the show otherwise if they really wanted to play up the 2002 or whatever setting.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 13, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
re: suits

2003 vs 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SimonChris posted:

Howard was buying Chuck out of the company. He will have to either pay that money to Chuck's estate, or the estate will retain co-ownership of HHM.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought the point of that scene was that HHM couldn't afford to buy Chuck out of the company without bankrupting itself, which was what Chuck was threatening, and Howard stepped in and threw in his own personal money to buy Chuck out to keep HHM alive. I.e., this was an under the table type of deal not involving HHM. From my understanding Chuck officially renounced his retirement (out of his own "free will") so why would his estate still be co-owners of HHM? If I quit my job I don't get to keep my severance package you know?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The only thing I checked was that the Albuquerque Isotopes changed their name in 2003. But they wouldn't be on TV, though.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought the point of that scene was that HHM couldn't afford to buy Chuck out of the company without bankrupting itself, which was what Chuck was threatening, and Howard stepped in and threw in his own personal money to buy Chuck out to keep HHM alive. I.e., this was an under the table type of deal not involving HHM. From my understanding Chuck officially renounced his retirement (out of his own "free will") so why would his estate still be co-owners of HHM? If I quit my job I don't get to keep my severance package you know?

I thought Howard was gifting his personal money to HHM to allow it to buy out Chuck. Chuck wouldn't take the deal if it was voluntary.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Ditocoaf posted:

I thought Howard was gifting his personal money to HHM to allow it to buy out Chuck. Chuck wouldn't take the deal if it was voluntary.

I think Chuck did take the deal to retire, and I think it was voluntary because Howard putting that much of his own money(and money he had to borrow at that) on the line finally made Chuck realise just how far he had pushed Howard and that he couldn't push him anymore.

Regarding Jimmy's reaction to Howard in this latest episode on a rewatch from the very first scene outside Chuck's house Jimmy is trying to figure out why Chuck relapsed. I don't think he's upset or dealing with guilt during the episode, I think he's puzzling it out which is why he's so happy when Howard tells him he caused the relapse. That was the puzzle Jimmy was working on. Previously every time Chuck got worse with electricity was because of something Jimmy did, and he couldn't figure out what he had done to cause it this time.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

re: suits

2003 vs 2017

I don't think I've ever felt as aged as I have just looking at this post and realizing holy poo poo things have changed and I'm old now.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Mario death mask posted:

This is an amazing show but the one thing that’s getting to me is the lack of attention to period detail. I know it’s not that far in the past but certain things stick out:

-The guy mike stole the badge from drives a contemporary crossover with led taillights, probably a BMW or Mercedes from the roofline. LED lighting did exist for cars at that point but crossovers largely didn’t.

-The cut of the suits is very contemporary and not really what people were wearing in 2001; see Howard’s contrasting collar- much more recently in fashion and not something you would have seen back then. See late run Frasier for the kind of boxiness that was still in vogue at that time.

-That IKEA backsplash that’s showing up in a lot of tv, and people’s current irl homes.

There’s more anachronistic details if you’re looking for them- it’s a great show but this one aspect feels somewhat sloppily done. It doesn’t seem far enough back in time to have to worry about these details since it’s our living memory, but that’s precisely what makes it so jarring.

People are mocking this post(er) but I also find this stuff interesting, though I can't say I've caught very much myself in BCS. I don't know that it's sloppy per se, everything about this show is very methodical. My personal take is that the director doesn't want it to be That Early 2000's show, so while there's enough to let you know it's not the present day, they don't want to hit you over the head with 'BAGGY SUITS AND SMASHMOUTH, AMIRITE :haw:' I think if there was too much fidelity it might take the viewer out of the experience, and make it feel more like a period piece and less like the character study(ies) that it is.

As a photography nerd, once I learned the difference between a post-war and pre-war Speed Graphic (basically, is the lens board metallic/aluminium or black/wooden) I couldn't unsee it. You will see Speed Graphics in the press scrum of literally any early 20th century period piece but more likely than not there are some anachronistic postwar Speeds in the mix.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Randandal posted:

I don't think I've ever felt as aged as I have just looking at this post and realizing holy poo poo things have changed and I'm old now.

I may be crazy but I really don't remember the early 2000s being a time when everyone dressed up by wearing pea coats or whatever the hell those knee-length buttoned-up-to-the-neck rear end things are.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Those are professional athletes, they always have their own sense of style. Whoever said to look at Frasier to see how "classy" suits were worn by working professionals in the 2000's was correct.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

DaveKap posted:

Finally watched the episode, was waiting for the payoff, and the payoff was fantastic. Came to thread, saw people enjoying it and saw people complaining about what the show is. So, okay, how about it's 2 shows and they're both really good? That's what it feels like to me anyway.

So Gus mentioned the DEA. What are the chances we see Hank before the season ends?

I hadn't even considered that but it would make sense to introduce him as part of the cartel side of the story. I think if they want to do a full-on breaking bad cameo this season he'd be the most sensible one to weave into the story. Seeing a pre-season 1 BB Hank would be quite a trip, given the arc he went through as a character.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just watched the first 2 episodes and it's almost like a different show. Way more Saul being Saul before they decided to go the super drama route l. It's almost jarring

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Blind Pineapple posted:

The big difference between BCS and BB is that the stakes felt a lot higher in BB because every character was in near-constant danger. Due to the prequel nature of BCS, most of the main characters are in no peril at all because we know they have to live to a certain point (Jimmy, Mike, Gus), or are in too much peril because their proximity to Jimmy makes it unrealistic that they would be non-existent in the BB timeline (Chuck, Kim, Howard). That isn't to say the journey isn't enjoyable, but there is an element of predetermination to BCS whereas BB was uncapped.

On the pro-BCS side, I think another key difference is that all the main characters in this show are highly intelligent, which lends itself to snappier dialogue and more intricate cat and mouse situations. BB derives a lot of its power from the raw emotion of average people being thrust into chaotic situations they aren't mentally prepared to handle.

It really just depends what type of suspense you're looking for in your tv shows, sudden and chaotic, or slow and calculating.

Its entirely possible that Kim and Howard are around, and Saul may even be going home as Jimmy to Kim each day. It may not be the likeliest, but it's possible. We only see Saul in BB in his professional capacity dealing with Walt and his associates.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's different when you own 1/3 of the company. They'll need to buy his estate out.

Retiring means he can't draw a paycheck but is still entitled to profits after everyone is paid. And he would still have a vote on major company decisions.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nail Rat posted:

Saul may even be going home as Jimmy to Kim each day. It may not be the likeliest, but it's possible. We only see Saul in BB in his professional capacity dealing with Walt and his associates.

No way Kim would stay with Saul, she has integrity. Plus losing her at some point (probably this season) is definitely going to one of the major factors of his transformation. He won't go full criminal while he still has something to lose. He's lost his brother and soon he's gonna lose Kim. It's inevitable.

She could definitely still be alive and kicking, but she is 100% not still with Jimmy. Howard could totally still be around during BB and not come up too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

No way Kim would stay with Saul, she has integrity. Plus losing her at some point (probably this season) is definitely going to one of the major factors of his transformation. He won't go full criminal while he still has something to lose. He's lost his brother and soon he's gonna lose Kim. It's inevitable.

She could definitely still be alive and kicking, but she is 100% not still with Jimmy. Howard could totally still be around during BB and not come up too.

I wonder if Gene gets so spooked and feels being caught is inevitable, so he makes one more attempt to reconnect with Kim. Looks her up, travels to wherever (NYC, maybe?) and... sees that she's settled down and started a family.

Brutal.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barreft posted:

I will just never understand people like you.
I don't know anyone's individual backgrounds but if they're really into cars or menswear or something i can see why it'd grate on them.

It didn't stop me from enjoying it, but the HBO miniseries Show Me a Hero had the Oscar Isaac campaigning for a 1987 election in his office adorned with Starting Lineup action figures of various New York Yankees even though Starting Lineup debuted in 1988 and the Baseball Greats line he had on the wall came out in 1989 and I remembered all of that immediately because I spent the late 1980s going to baseball card shows with my dad. I'm guessing most people didn't even notice that he had baseball dolls on his desk/wall for the thirty seconds they were on-screen, but if you're really into [thing] your attention is drawn to it.

I did not, however, yell at David Simon for not having period-authentic Yankees gimmicks on the desk, though.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Mike's Methodic Corner was very much fun the first couple of times they did it, but now it's starting to grate. We get it, he's slow, methodical, extremely focused and hypercompetent and just the bestest ever. You can stop showing us. It's like if every other BB episode had ten minutes dedicated to Marie being a kleptomaniac.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The Jimmy and Kim stuff is the actual show. Mike is fun and his segments are beautifully shot, but it doesn't feel like it's part of this show anymore. It started feeling this way last season.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I primarily watch this show for Mike/Gus/Nacho/The Cartel, Jimmy is the b-plot to me.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

TOOT BOOT posted:

I primarily watch this show for Mike/Gus/Nacho/The Cartel, Jimmy is the b-plot to me.

They need to kill Jimmy off, and soon.

I need more Saul strong arming folks to sell their house at less than half value.

e: Do you concur??

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

I just watched the first 2 episodes and it's almost like a different show. Way more Saul being Saul before they decided to go the super drama route l. It's almost jarring

Yeah. Though the show has given us plenty of great moments as is, I think I would have preferred the show that was presented in the first two episodes. Retaining the same cinematography and production values. Higher stakes, yet still more lighthearted than Breaking Bad's lightest moments, Saul's sleazy scheming already apparent even if it's just to increase awareness of his business and not actively getting guilty criminals off the hook like he later would do.

In general, season 1 as a whole is near perfect and almost works completely on it's own as enough of a snapshot of Jimmy's life to make the connections on how he became Saul. I have very mixed feelings about the deliberate throttle-down the show pulled at the beginning of season 2. I know they had to to a degree because season 1 was written under the assumption that they may not get a second season, but the bulk of season 2 amounted to very little.

To go this far in and still not have Jimmy and Mike's plots intertwine and also have Jimmy not changed all that drastically as a character just seems like a waste of the premise, even if it has given us a bunch of great individual moments.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 13, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

To go this far in and still not have Jimmy and Mike's plots intertwine and also have Jimmy not changed all that drastically as a character just seems like a waste of the premise, even if it has given us a bunch of great individual moments.

I have a feeling like there'll be quite a bit of intertwining and transformation this season.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Season 2 gave us squat cobbler, KENWINS getting owned, and Jimmy getting fired for leaving his deuces stewing in the pot. S2 ruled.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Ready for more mike tonight, YEAH :pervert:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I decide what he deserves :colbert:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DarklyDreaming posted:

I decide what he deserves :colbert:

I am the decider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Counterfieters? Shocked. I am Shocked that crime can be done on our printers :byodood: