Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

after confusing me for several minutes i have to assume this is a reference to that old song or something

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

after confusing me for several minutes i have to assume this is a reference to that old song or something

:cmon:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

perfect dark theme, perfect wallpaper to reduce eyestrain. A+

is that wallpaper still jpeg artifacted to gently caress

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Grassy Knowles posted:

perfect dark theme, perfect wallpaper to reduce eyestrain. A+

the 4 fps must be distracting

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what am I even paying you for, micro soft?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
had a chance to play with a Surface Go at the MS store today for 5 mins

folks, get this: it's bad

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

had a chance to play with a Surface Go at the MS store today for 5 mins

folks, get this: it's bad

but what about the Surface Go?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i add this stuff to the list of what microsoft must be doing to hide their downturn

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-10/oracle-accused-of-defrauding-investors-on-cloud-sales-growth

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Azure can now help your business sink beneath the waves:

https://natick.research.microsoft.com/

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

dark theme is done folks

Whoa, shots fired kubuntu. Seems like those linux guys need to update xbill to have a dark theme.

How the hell do they have time do this, but not bring back a classic theme.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'd unironically use the Windows 95-style UI, if it were available.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

a better question might be how they have time to do this and not just fix the existing ui from having window styles from like five different versions of windows

especially when you have to assume that the doing the latter would be a prerequisite to the former

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

a better question might be how they have time to do this and not just fix the existing ui from having window styles from like five different versions of windows

especially when you have to assume that the doing the latter would be a prerequisite to the former

spoilers: dark theme will only work on programs with windows 8+ ui if they're lucky. more likely it will only work on windows store apps

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

LastInLine posted:

Do you know how hard it is to rewrite a UI for configuring ODBC sources? Count your blessings that cards.dll got a new coat of paint.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

fixing existing things does not get you or your manager noticed, making something new (often also conflicting and often unnecessary) gets bonuses

hence powershell instead of fixing cmd.exe, and dozens of other examples

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lysidas posted:

fixing existing things does not get you or your manager noticed, making something new (often also conflicting and often unnecessary) gets bonuses

'Fixing' cmd.exe would break a lot of poo poo

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
changing anything in the windows shell will break ton of poo poo. i’ve seen some drivers do obscene things to the control panel.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they're making changes to a ton of shared controls to get this to work in explorer. the problem is they need to also fix controls in other system components that are partially affected by the explorer changes (ex: control panel).

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LastInLine posted:

meant no disrespect but a) i didnt want to link back here and b) i was not going to watch a verge video

BUSTED!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i don't get out of bed for anything less than hot dog stand

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
window blinds animated themes or bust

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Lysidas posted:

nah. that's google's rewards policy. microsoft is far too busy repeatedly rewriting windows as a mobile device operating system to have any time left for improvements to the less important desktop os business.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yeah they're making changes to a ton of shared controls to get this to work in explorer. the problem is they need to also fix controls in other system components that are partially affected by the explorer changes (ex: control panel).

sounds like this operating system is a rats nest of garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yet its still the best operation system there is.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Private Speech posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
even without a working terminal emulator windows is a better unix than osx

this is not least because it is binary compatible with the best unix -- linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:wrong:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"army intelligence"
"jumbo shrimp"
"working linux terminal emulator"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is not least because it is binary compatible with the best unix -- linux

this is some weakass poo poo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i have to agree, osx is just different enough from linux that i need different config files

but if you go full docker then it's all the same

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
W10cjing: I really love how the first key you press to wake the screen and take you to password entry doesn't pass to the actual password entry box.

Stunning human-interface design decisions here, Microsoft.

:waycool:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Schadenboner posted:

W10cjing: I really love how the first key you press to wake the screen and take you to password entry doesn't pass to the actual password entry box.

Always Hit Shift First

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Private Speech posted:

good

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Always Hit Shift First
also give it a few seconds, because if you were used to hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del and entering your password, you have to wait for the fade animation on the password field to show up before anything you enter makes it in there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if you disable animations in the advanced system properties, it no longer does that stupid loving fade in.

it's possible, though i'm not 100% that it's system wide, that disabling windows animations in the accessibility settings panel will do it too

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Schadenboner posted:

You can disable the useless lock screen with a group policy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

infernal machines posted:

if you disable animations in the advanced system properties, it no longer does that stupid loving fade in.

it's possible, though i'm not 100% that it's system wide, that disabling windows animations in the accessibility settings panel will do it too

windows doesn't save your settings between updates/patches anymore though sadly

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anthonypants posted:

also give it a few seconds, because if you were used to hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del and entering your password, you have to wait for the fade animation on the password field to show up before anything you enter makes it in there

i loving hate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Gnome 3 insists on that stupid mobile style lock screen too but even gnome 3 gets those two things right lol