Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

Favorite football podcasts: go

If you want to keep up with college football Shutdown Fullcast is real good.

Right now they're doing conference previews as mock team podcasts and the one for the PAC 12 North was Big Duck Energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Hizawk posted:

What is the reason for the Raiders getting rid of the best defensive player on a rookie contract?

Is it a hundred million dollar reason?

I just can't even.

They're not. He's budgeted in this years cap, his agent is just waiting for Donald's agent to sign so that he can sign for 100k more a year or whatever

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hizawk posted:

What is the reason for the Raiders getting rid of the best defensive player on a rookie contract?

Is it a hundred million dollar reason?

I just can't even.

Mack is only technically on a rookie contract -- his fifth year option was picked up, so he's being paid $13M this year and his contract expires after the season.

Yes, that's why I've been pooh-poohing Packer fans talking about trading for Mack.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Ugh...this is loving heartbreaking.

Guys in the prime of their careers caught up in the cross-fire of something that shouldn’t really be controversial. Of course, the owners are smug as gently caress about it and the fans who don’t think athletes are spoiled will say “Well, blame Kaep!”. On top of that more players are going to become worried.

Black men still can’t win in this drat country.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WHOOPS posted:

right, i get why their odds were increased, but i’m asking what other chatter there is to support the Packers actually pulling the trigger (there isn’t any from what i see).

Other than the bookie odds and the Packers' needs/resources, it's pretty much Packer fan wishful thinking and Gutekunst not immediately killing the idea when it was brought up to him last week:

quote:

Brian Gutekunst didn’t explicitly say the Green Bay Packers were interested in a trade for training camp holdout Khalil Mack, but the first-year general manager certainly didn’t dismiss a question about the possibility of calling the Oakland Raiders about their All-Pro edge rusher.

“We’re going to have conversations about everything,” Gutekunst said Tuesday. “There’s some things that don’t make sense for us from a team-building (sense), but we’re going to have conversations, especially with a player of that ability.”

Gutekunst was specifically asked if he’d call Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie, a former Packers scout and personnel executive, about Mack’s availability.

“I would give Reggie a call anyway, whether he was or wasn’t (available),” Gutekunst said.

Gutekunst never said Mack by name during his answer, but he caught himself from saying too much more.

“Those players on other teams, I guess we’re not really supposed to talk about those guys,” Gutekunst said.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tre Boston is garbage.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

Tre Boston is garbage.

He was solid for the Chargers last year. He had like five picks and was solid in coverage. Absolutely horrid tackler, though.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Boston is garbage.

*sage nodding*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Guys, I have a really funny joke, but I need someone to say "Bosa who?" First.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Chichevache posted:

Guys, I have a really funny joke, but I need someone to say "Bosa who?" F-

*runs breathlessly into thread* BOSA DEEZ NUTZ!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bosa deez acls

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Quiet Feet posted:

*runs breathlessly into thread* BOSA DEEZ NUTZ!

lol

MacheteZombie posted:

Bosa deez acls

lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1028988439306362885

You gotta be loving kidding me. You won 0 games last year and now that you have a young franchise QB that needs the experience you're going to die on the hill of "I need to win 5 games with Tyrod rather than 3 with Baker, who cares about his development?"

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1028988439306362885

You gotta be loving kidding me. You won 0 games last year and now that you have a young franchise QB that needs the experience you're going to die on the hill of "I need to win 5 games with Tyrod rather than 3 with Baker, who cares about his development?"

Tyrod is a better bridge QB, yes. And is his development helped or hampered by starting with an offense that will not generally succeed and has, so far, an uncertain OL situation?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The browns aren’t winning poo poo this year.

The best thing they can do is use a young unbroken promising an and draft picks to lure a decent head coach after this season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diqnol posted:

Tyrod is a better bridge QB, yes. And is his development helped or hampered by starting with an offense that will not generally succeed and has, so far, an uncertain OL situation?

Helped. He's 100% ready to play and he needs to play. Sitting him on the bench is a waste of everyone's time.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
No way Aditi Kinkhabwala is a real person

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Helped. He's 100% ready to play and he needs to play. Sitting him on the bench is a waste of everyone's time.

So is trotting him out there to get munson’d just so Hue Jackson can argue he needs another year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

mcmagic posted:

Remember when Kizer looked alright in preseason and week 1 then fell off the loving cliff. Everyone said he needed to be on the field to progress then to. That.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

So is trotting him out there to get munson’d just so Hue Jackson can argue he needs another year.

That is BS. What are you saving him for? Let him play.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FizFashizzle posted:

Tre Boston is garbage.

He was really good last year.

I was angry when we didn't re-sign him. Until the draft happened

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I also still have PTSD from the LAST Carolina safety we had

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

mcmagic posted:

That is BS. What are you saving him for?

A coach who isn't a goner after this year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Start Tryod, until you're ready to fire Hue midseason, new coach Todd Haley starts him

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I don’t buy that argument. He’s certainly capable of starting right away but Tyrod is also quite good and young QBs (especially on the Browns) have a tendency to be ruined learning bad habits playing on a bad team that doesn’t protect/support him. Can you name QBs whose development was hurt by making them sit a year or, more realistically, half a year? At the absolute bare minimum you want Tyrod out there week one in case the line without Thomas is a sieve.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Not that Kizer was as good of a prospect, but the Browns trotted out a QB who wasn't remotely ready for most of last year and they went winless to show for it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Browns rush out and start Rookie!

Internet and sports writers "Well actually you should have him sit and learn so he doesn't get gun-shy and develop bad habits!"

Browns Sit Rookie QB behind competent Bridge QB

Internet and sports writers "Get him on the field it is the only way he is going to learn!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd be extremely reluctant to promote Todd Haley to head coach. He's poison. I like how Ben Roethlisberger is no longer talking about retiring anymore now that Todd is gone.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hi Football Friends how's the off-season/Training Camp/Week 1 of Preseason been?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

kiimo posted:

I'd be extremely reluctant to promote Todd Haley to head coach. He's poison. I like how Ben Roethlisberger is no longer talking about retiring anymore now that Todd is gone.

Todd Haley in charge of Greg Williams or vice versa, think about that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m not sure you can really call mcmagic the entire internet.

In theory I like the idea of letting Mayfield sit for a year. This is tempered by the fact that he’ll be “developed” by Hue loving Jackson (for as long as he lasts as HC) so it’s hard to say how much benefit he will actually derive from that.

At least Zampese seems to have a not-totally-embarrassing resume as a QB coach I guess?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1029053990095478785?s=19

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I still can't believe that the Browns ended up with 3 of the biggest rear end in a top hat coaches in the league as their HC/OC/DC combo

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

axeil posted:

Hi Football Friends how's the off-season/Training Camp/Week 1 of Preseason been?

Andrew Luck Threw a Football
The 9ers are still melting fans
Joey Bosa hasn't been seen since a "foot injury"
The Hack is back
Paxton Lynch is still who everyone thinks he is
and the Browns:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Start Tyrod until you figure out if the OL is any good and then play Baker if he wont get killed

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Diqnol posted:

I don’t buy that argument. He’s certainly capable of starting right away but Tyrod is also quite good and young QBs (especially on the Browns) have a tendency to be ruined learning bad habits playing on a bad team that doesn’t protect/support him. Can you name QBs whose development was hurt by making them sit a year or, more realistically, half a year? At the absolute bare minimum you want Tyrod out there week one in case the line without Thomas is a sieve.

Hackenberg. Really though, how can you know either way? “Rookie started early and turned out bad” could’ve been even worse had they sat their first year, “rookie sat early and turned out good” could’ve been awesome from the start and had to shake some rust off once they finally got to start games.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1029057111429468160

this is like after a tsunami when the waters retreat

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

I hope the Chargers do good this year, Ross.

Also, you will be happy to discover that Kazee was all over the field in the first game. Dude appears to be making a push for more play time!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Docjowles posted:

At least Zampese seems to have a not-totally-embarrassing resume as a QB coach I guess?

As an OC he is without a td.

kiimo posted:

I like how Ben Roethlisberger is no longer talking about retiring anymore now that Todd is gone.

Preseason started which usually coincides with the end of his yearly off season pity parade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

I hope the Chargers do good this year, Ross.

Also, you will be happy to discover that Kazee was all over the field in the first game. Dude appears to be making a push for more play time!

:3: Damontae

Dude was always the heart of our defense and was always around the ball. I hope he's great for you fir a really long time

• Locked thread