Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

lol if you think only uighurs gets sent to jail in china

Of course not.

The others would still be less than the United States combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China would need to be jailing something like 9 million people to compete with the US on proportional terms, but merely 7 million on absolute terms.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

mosques were actually designed in traditional chinese styles for centuries before the cultural revolution. arab-style mosques are a very recent development and not some long-standing tradition. still isn't good to renovate them if the hui don't want it.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the system works!
https://twitter.com/Nectar_Gan/status/1027762100834168832?s=19

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Don't they know they're supposed to shoot protesters in the head with 40mm grenades?

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer

quote:

But a source close to the Ningxia government said that after days of negotiation between the authorities and religious leaders, it had been agreed earlier on Thursday that the government would not demolish the mosque, but remove eight of its domes.

lmao, just 8 domes that's all.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Don't they know they're supposed to shoot protesters in the head with 40mm grenades?

quote:

In 2012, hundreds of Hui clashed with police in Tongxin as they tried to stop their mosque from being demolished after it was declared illegal. Several protesters were reportedly killed in the violence and dozens more were injured.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
china propagandist has ...... logged off

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Infernot posted:

lmao, just 8 domes that's all.

that's what was being protested and now they've called the whole thing off.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

good

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
my unchanging stance on Chinese censorship

https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1027935592321966080?s=19

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

glad that's over!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Karl Barks posted:

glad that's over!

since time travel isn't an option would you consider this development good or bad.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

R. Guyovich posted:

since time travel isn't an option would you consider this development good or bad.

i mean, sure. but

quote:

But a source close to the Ningxia government said that after days of negotiation between the authorities and religious leaders, it had been agreed earlier on Thursday that the government would not demolish the mosque, but remove eight of its domes.

death by a thousand domes?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Karl Barks posted:

i mean, sure. but

death by a thousand domes?

right, and they still protested and got authorities to back off. so it stands to reason the domes will stay, and that this wave of "sinicization" will ebb for a while.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that's not a particularly well-written sentence because i can't tell if they mean these negotiations happened before, during or after the protests, or if the protesters were aware of the discussion. which are important details

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
hey what would be a good starting point for reading up on Maoism. I read Elliott Liu's Maoism and the Chinese Revolution: A Critical Introduction, and that gave me an overview of the history, but I'd like to see what's what on Mao's writings itself.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
read the essay on liberalism from the 30s a D it's good enough imo

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gradenko_2000 posted:

hey what would be a good starting point for reading up on Maoism. I read Elliott Liu's Maoism and the Chinese Revolution: A Critical Introduction, and that gave me an overview of the history, but I'd like to see what's what on Mao's writings itself.

on practice and on contradiction (deep philosophy stuff, basically mao's concept of dialectics)
on the correct handling of contradictions among the people
oppose book worship
report on an investigation of the peasant movement in hunan
on the ten major relationships
combat liberalism (the only mao most people read)
on new democracy
to be attacked by the enemy is not a bad thing but a good thing
us imperialism is a paper tiger
on protracted war
on guerrilla warfare

most of these are super short and there isn't any real order you need to tackle stuff in. this would be my Mao Canon.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Did Guofeng ever write anything of note? I don't remember.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:rip: falun gong newspaper box

https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/1028797930612961280

btw:

quote:

American urbanites may recognize the Epoch Times from its quietly ubiquitous presence at corner newsstands in many U.S. cities. A newspaper closely affiliated with Falun Gong, a group whose reclusive leader, Li Hongzhi, resides in the United States, the Epoch Times U.S. edition isn’t easy to place on the U.S. political spectrum. Its editorial slant exists primarily to promote the views of the Falun Gong and its leadership’s staunch opposition to the Chinese Communist Party (C.C.P.). The newspaper’s coverage of unrelated U.S. and international issues is otherwise banal.

But the German-language edition of the newspaper, which went web-only in 2012, has become a favored platform for far-right nativism, attracting readers who oppose immigration and support groups such as the far-right populist party Alternative for Germany (AfD) and anti-immigrant protest group Pegida. As such, Epoch Times Deutschland has become known as a member of the far-right media scene, in the same club as Russia’s state-funded outlets RT and Sputnik, and Kopp Report, a website known for promoting conspiracy theories and right-wing populism.

http://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opinion/media/german-edition-of-falun-gong-affiliated-epoch-times-aligns-far-right

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Aug 13, 2018

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Metal Cat posted:

So how 'bout that Formosa Alliance, huh? Would be wild if Taiwan decides to push for independence, even if it's pretty unlikely for anything to happen.

the phimosis alliance

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the... a newspaper for counter-revolutionaries giving space to fascism?!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

btw:

tbh I kind of want to go to one of their opera shows, i've heard they're pretty spectacular

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

didn't that nobel-prize winning dissident also turn out to be pretty fashy in the end?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the CPC's problem with Falun Gong date back to Falun Gong rioting becuase of beuracratic hangups in it's approval process to be recognized as a spiritual group?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

falun gong is what would happen if scientology got tens of millions of followers in a five-year period

e: no, it had official sanction in its early years. they willingly left the state organization that oversaw them

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

also i know the swastika's use in chinese religions and the like (seeing a big-rear end one in a buddhist temple was a "uhhh wait what" moment until i remembered) but lol that this is the falun gong symbol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
theres lots of falun gong protest things in vancouver and ive chatted with them a few time (always mostly stressed out oldish women for whatever reason) and they seem brainwashy a f

scientology at least gets hot actors / actresses to be their brand ambassadors

and mormon's style of missionary is iconic and can be spotted from miles away

no offense to any falun gong peeps

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Mar 23, 2021

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i wonder if theres a mormon command center where they task their missionaries in beijing as to avoid raising the ire of the communist party but while still trying to mormonize as much as possible

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

R. Guyovich posted:

falun gong is what would happen if scientology got tens of millions of followers in a five-year period

Sounds more likely to result in Tom Cruise being elected president than scientology being banned.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

they were outside the chinese consulate almost every day when i was making regular trips there. this was in texas in summer. now that's $$$dedication$$$!

Kassad posted:

Sounds more likely to result in Tom Cruise being elected president than scientology being banned.

tom cruise loves making movies too much to run for president.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
look, if the CPC let just anyone cultivate their qi, soon you'd have millions of spiritualists flying around, shooting energy blasts, and scream yelling a lot

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR6Wr-S8KKs&t=93s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
there was a vegan falun gong restaurant i used to eat at where i lived. i'm not vegetarian it was just tasty. but yeah you'd open the menu and there was anti-communist slogans in it, and new agey stuff on the walls

like so

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

if three million people were in concentration camps it’d still be a lower incarceration rate than the United States lol

lol america is rear end and china is poo poo. they truly do belong together in this new global oligarchy theyr building together as frenemies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

there was a vegan falun gong restaurant i used to eat at where i lived. i'm not vegetarian it was just tasty. but yeah you'd open the menu and there was anti-communist slogans in it, and new agey stuff on the walls

like so

I'm getting some Aum Shinrikyo vibes from this one.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Shoko Asahara Thought

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm getting some Aum Shinrikyo vibes from this one.

Same wavelength of New Age fantasy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Same wavelength of New Age fantasy poo poo

https://youtu.be/2A7Nv0zPWQM