Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

When you're ripping a blu ray and you see like 31 chapters and 26.1 GB and 31 chapters and 27.1 GB, what does it generally mean? I assume the most common thing is theater release vs directors cut but I've had a few where the box doesn't say anything about an expanded/directors cut so not sure if there's another possible explanation.

Should I always just take the bigger one? Or will I sometimes get some weird "making of" bullshit where it's the movie with random production nonsense inserted into parts of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

Similar situation on my side. Roku Ultra, plugged into a Sharp TV, which feeds optical to my old non-HDMI receiver. The TV won't feed anything but PCM Stereo over that link, and the Roku detects this, so Plex downmixes to stereo.

I really need a new receiver one of these days.

I feel your pain. Digital optical has been a scourge on home theater nearly its entire existence IMO. People frequently thought it was the best way to go in all scenarios (omg it transmits data via light!) but it won't do anything besides stereo when uncompressed.

You can probably pick up an older used HDMI receiver for dirt rear end cheap.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

veiled boner fuel posted:

When you're ripping a blu ray and you see like 31 chapters and 26.1 GB and 31 chapters and 27.1 GB, what does it generally mean? I assume the most common thing is theater release vs directors cut but I've had a few where the box doesn't say anything about an expanded/directors cut so not sure if there's another possible explanation.

Should I always just take the bigger one? Or will I sometimes get some weird "making of" bullshit where it's the movie with random production nonsense inserted into parts of it?

Install java and point MakeMKV at it in the settings. Some blurays have a thing where it runs some code in the jvm on the bluray player to decide the title. MakeMKV will do it for you if you install Java.

Failing that you have to get bluray player software, click play in it, and use a tool that can see which file it has open. Then you can skip through the stream writing down the files and get the sequence.

If you just pick one some scenes in the movie will be out of order.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Google "movie name makemkv" and go to their forums. It likely will have the segment map you need. Also check the playing length.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dren posted:

If you just pick one some scenes in the movie will be out of order.

Eeep, I wonder how many times I've done that already. I'll find out eventually I guess.

One I'm doing right now is Iron Man 2 and there's a 17 chapter 35.3 GB and a 17 chapter 34.6 but the 35.3 doesn't have any subtitles or any audio streams besides english so I assume I'm safe in choosing the other one?

Thanks for the tips both of you, i'll look at that

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Eeep, I wonder how many times I've done that already. I'll find out eventually I guess.

One I'm doing right now is Iron Man 2 and there's a 17 chapter 35.3 GB and a 17 chapter 34.6 but the 35.3 doesn't have any subtitles or any audio streams besides english so I assume I'm safe in choosing the other one?

Nothing is safe. Java for BD+ and the forums are all that matter.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Title and chapter obfuscation is a still real thing some studios do.

If you find it confusing when trying to rip, that's the intent. The really fun ones throw chapters out of order later in the movie so you don't even notice until watching it later.

Luckily, like everything else related to ripping disks, it only takes one person on the internet to figure it out.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Disney released ones have only a couple versions, usually the difference is the language used on the title card. For animated features sometimes the signs and things are rendered in the other language.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
We have a Plex pass. We use the feature where you set up a user and tag stuff to share with it — the sharing menu item in edit mode.

For me today, the sharing tab thing is not in the edit mode. Did it move somewhere else? I am stumped.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

crestfallen posted:

We have a Plex pass. We use the feature where you set up a user and tag stuff to share with it — the sharing menu item in edit mode.

For me today, the sharing tab thing is not in the edit mode. Did it move somewhere else? I am stumped.

did not move.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Super weird then. I guess I’ll restart the server and/or my computer and see if that does anything.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Plex on my Shield TV now has a grid view for live TV. Thank god

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

crestfallen posted:

Super weird then. I guess I’ll restart the server and/or my computer and see if that does anything.
Rebooted the server and my computer. Still don't see the sharing area. Plex server is up to date. Account correctly shows that I have a Plex pass. I turned all my browser extensions off just to make sure, that didn't do anything either. Here are some screens to demonstrate:

User selection. 2 users exist:

Sharing configuration. Share by this label:

Edit screen for a movie. No sharing thing widget exists:

It's weird.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
and you are logging into N right? that is the only one that could set the sharing

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

derk posted:

and you are logging into N right? that is the only one that could set the sharing
That is correct. Logged into N.

I was super hopeful it was an overly aggressive ad blocking extension, but no dice there.

I'll leave this open for a couple days and do some more Googling too. Might end up having to just nuke it and reinstall everything.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

crestfallen posted:

Rebooted the server and my computer. Still don't see the sharing area. Plex server is up to date. Account correctly shows that I have a Plex pass. I turned all my browser extensions off just to make sure, that didn't do anything either. Here are some screens to demonstrate:

User selection. 2 users exist:

Sharing configuration. Share by this label:

Edit screen for a movie. No sharing thing widget exists:

It's weird.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So I was looking for a file that got misplaced and noticed I had a giant download in my Plex TV Shows directory that didn't belong there. Made me wonder how many files are in my directories that Plex skipped (because they aren't media files, or couldn't find information, or it was a Movie in the TV Shows directory, etc)

Is there any way to audit that? Look for files in my directories that aren't tied to a Plex entry?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

So I was looking for a file that got misplaced and noticed I had a giant download in my Plex TV Shows directory that didn't belong there. Made me wonder how many files are in my directories that Plex skipped (because they aren't media files, or couldn't find information, or it was a Movie in the TV Shows directory, etc)

Is there any way to audit that? Look for files in my directories that aren't tied to a Plex entry?

If you install the WebTools addon one of the tools does exactly that. Also one for missing subtitles, though I think the Subzero addon does a better job with those (not to mention subtitles in general).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Does anyone use a plex plugin that will turn a youtube channel into the closet thing to a tv show possible?

What I'd consider the minimum is:
* Be able to subscribe to a channel and have it show up as a linked series
* Be able to have a watched/unwatched status on the individual videos in the series

Nice to have:
* Be able to sync the videos to a mobile device with plex pass.

What I'm doing now is running youtube-dl on a separate library per play list but it's kinda heavy load to add one. (Make the directory, set up youtube-dl in a cron job to check, add the library to plex, tell it to sync to the device.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ixian posted:

If you install the WebTools addon one of the tools does exactly that. Also one for missing subtitles, though I think the Subzero addon does a better job with those (not to mention subtitles in general).

PERFECT thanks! 25gb ISO file in there :D

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
After Plex redesigned the UI on the Android app, I can't get the "Only Unwatched" filter to stick.
Go to All Movies, set the filter, change to Shows, go back to Movies and it has been reset.
I'm 99% sure the filter setting worked in the previous layout.
Is it just me doing something wrong?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I'm migrating from a single Kodi to Plex and I want to sync "watched" status, is the easiest way to get a Trakt account and link it to both then kill it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hed posted:

If I'm migrating from a single Kodi to Plex and I want to sync "watched" status, is the easiest way to get a Trakt account and link it to both then kill it?

Yep

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Is there a good way to add metadata about what kind of media a movie comes from? Like, "this is ripped from the 2013 US Bluray?"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So I'm a long time XBMC/Kodi user who is trying out Plex. I'm using an Nvidia Shield as my server that streams content from a network share.

Last night I was playing a movie that has 7.1 audio and I kept getting a message that I didn't have enough resources to play the file. Another movie with 5.1 sound works just fine. I did some reading and it seems that in most cases, the 16GB of space on the device may not be enough. Would adding an SD card to handle temp storage help fix this?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Plex apps on iOS/tvOS seem like garbage... click "Play" and nothing happens, or if I restart the Plex server it might stream then pause or put up a spinner at random intervals. My server is a multicore Xeon and the apple TV is on the (wired) LAN. Is that to be expected?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Hed posted:

The Plex apps on iOS/tvOS seem like garbage... click "Play" and nothing happens, or if I restart the Plex server it might stream then pause or put up a spinner at random intervals. My server is a multicore Xeon and the apple TV is on the (wired) LAN. Is that to be expected?

Nah, should play almost right away.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hed posted:

My Apple TV app works flawlessly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hed posted:

Nope, something is hosed with your Plex set up. Is your server transcoding? Are you accessing your content remotely? Or local network?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of adding some more smart TVs with Plex to the house, but would, in certain circumstances, want to be able to access my DirecTV for streaming / recorded video.

Is there a guide somewhere on either setting up the IR blaster / capture configuration to make it available as a "channel" or similar for Plex?

Or is there a way to do this with software & networking?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

FunOne posted:

I'm thinking of adding some more smart TVs with Plex to the house, but would, in certain circumstances, want to be able to access my DirecTV for streaming / recorded video.

Is there a guide somewhere on either setting up the IR blaster / capture configuration to make it available as a "channel" or similar for Plex?

Or is there a way to do this with software & networking?

Just get receivers. You're gonna drive yourself crazy making something that sort of works.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Just get receivers. You're gonna drive yourself crazy making something that sort of works.

The hope was I could rig something up for the handful of times I want to be able to get a hockey game onto this TV. Otherwise I gotta pay DirecTV another loving receiver fee, remote, cable, etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you get DirecTV NOW as part of your physical subscription? If so, pick up a cheap STB like a Roku Xpress and use the app on that. It's not the fastest thing on earth, but when I messed around with it it didn't seem bad.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

FunOne posted:

The hope was I could rig something up for the handful of times I want to be able to get a hockey game onto this TV. Otherwise I gotta pay DirecTV another loving receiver fee, remote, cable, etc.

Have you looked into third party app logins?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Have you looked into third party app logins?

Fox Sports streaming is either live or replay. No DVR functionality (last year when I checked) on those games. Maybe they fixed it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

FunOne posted:

Fox Sports streaming is either live or replay. No DVR functionality (last year when I checked) on those games. Maybe they fixed it?

No idea. I doubt they offer their own dvr tho.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I've found that after switching from Kodi to Plex, a lot of my old (~10 years) 1080p encodes are all pixellated and don't play properly in Plex. What's the deal with that?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

I've found that after switching from Kodi to Plex, a lot of my old (~10 years) 1080p encodes are all pixellated and don't play properly in Plex. What's the deal with that?

Plex transcodes server-side. Kodi transcodes client-side. There are too many variables to answer your question (how are the videos encoded to begin with, what server are you running PMS on, what client are you using for playback, and so on) but the basic answer is Plex is probably not direct-playing the videos and that could be your PMS server, client, or both.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Could also be these 10 year old rips are from the before-fore time when some people were still doing weird poo poo like releasing 1080p Xvid rips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

Could also be these 10 year old rips are from the before-fore time when some people were still doing weird poo poo like releasing 1080p Xvid rips.

Yeah, run Media Info or GSpot on the files and screenshot what comes up.