Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

:goonsay:

The original FUD — the one practiced by IBM — was all about products and services. It was a rhetorical anti-competitive measure to dissuade customers from switching to the (much cheaper) “IBM compatible” clones because of some supposed risk involved in that switch.

IBM reps would argue along the lines that, sure, you could buy [competing product], but you'll still be running IBM software or you'll still want to use [future IBM peripheral] and there's no telling whether [product] will be compatible — stick with IBM and you'll know for sure. It was about instilling fear of changing providers; uncertainty about future developments; doubt that it would actually be as cheap as the sticker price would suggest.

The whole thing relies on, stick with what you know because the alternative is probably worse (but only for unprovable reasons) — better the devil you know, and all that.

The problem with the cultists' use of the term is that, implicitly, they're saying that SC is a clone; that Derek is an industry behemoth that has all the players; that they should worry that future developments might make SC not work any more; that what they have right now might be lost because of something EA (or whoever) brings to market. It's a continuation of the paradoxical notion that the detractors are 1) irrelevant, 2) a mortal threat, 3) in control of half the internet and all media, and 4) afraid of something that doesn't even exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Tippis posted:

:goonsay:
It's a continuation of the paradoxical notion that the detractors are 1) irrelevant, 2) a mortal threat, 3) in control of half the internet and all media, and 4) afraid of something that doesn't even exist yet.

5) Willing and repentant ship slaves for cultist sperg chariots, once the iron hammer of Chris Roberts drops on them and bans them from any fun aspects of the game.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The funny thing is that if the game ever comes out and is actually any good, it's almost certain that a goon-lead group will be the ones min-maxing everything and harvesting tears.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The funny thing is that if the game ever comes out and is actually any good, it's almost certain that a goon-lead group will be the ones min-maxing everything and harvesting tears.

No! Don't you understand!? CiG is keeping a list of all the haters, doxxers, Smarties, and goons. When the game comes out we will be punished like a Stimpire dissident.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

When the game comes out we will be punished like a Stimpire dissident.

Goon - the OTHER civil meat!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Golli posted:

Goon - the OTHER civil meat!

quote:

He sat down.
The waiter approached.
'Would you like to see the menu?' he said,
'or would you like meet the Dish of the Day?'

'Huh?' said Ford.
'Huh?' said Arthur.
'Huh?' said Trillian.
'That's cool,' said Zaphod, 'we'll meet the meat.'

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

quote:

He sat down.
The waiter approached.
'Would you like to see the menu?' he said,
'or would you like meet the Dish of the Day?'

'Huh?' said Ford.
'Huh?' said Arthur.
'Huh?' said Trillian.
'That's cool,' said Zaphod, 'we'll meet the meat.'

wait wait wait which loving timeline am I in right now I could have sworn it was a talking cow :psyduck:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lack of Gravitas posted:

wait wait wait which loving timeline am I in right now I could have sworn it was a talking cow :psyduck:
Relax, you're just remembering the radio play/book.

Or don't relax, because yes it's still that timeline.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

It's that loving Hav guy who's to blame, I'm telling you; first that QAnon insanity map and now this, quit overwriting my reality with yours :argh:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Death is but a doorway, time is but a window, I'll be back."

-Chris Roberts as he is sentenced for bank fraud.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I want a FUD version of :regd08: but I never seem to have time to make it myself.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

tooterfish posted:

Meet the meat isn't in the original radio play, I know that much. Also after the restaurant the radio version has them stealing a ship from the shape-shifting Hagunenons rather than the Disaster Area sunship, but I guess the former was too hard to do on screen (I can't remember what ship it is in the book)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

"Death is but a doorway, time is but a window, I'll be back."

-Chris Roberts as he is sentenced for bank fraud.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-25/banker-to-the-queen-hunts-u-k-startups-for-risk-hungry-clients

quote:

When British entrepreneur James Dean decided to raise money for his tech startup this year, he did what company founders usually do -- he talked to venture capitalists. Yet Dean disliked what he heard, so he sought an alternative. He didn’t choose equity crowd-funding or peer-to-peer loans. Instead, Dean turned to Coutts & Co.

As a 326-year-old private bank that caters to Britain’s ultra-rich and counts Queen Elizabeth II as a client, Coutts may not be the first name that jumps to mind as a tech disruptor. The firm, after all, still requires its male employees to wear neckties when meeting with clients.

Yet in what’s believed to be the first program of its kind in European private banking, Coutts runs an invitation-only investment club that connects clients with handpicked U.K. companies seeking early-stage funding. The price of admission: an initial investment of 250,000 pounds ($329,000).

The move is a departure for a private bank that prides itself on preserving capital for its well-heeled clients, not helping them wager on enterprises that may take years to pay off, if ever. Venture capitalists typically declare victory if just one out of 10 plays deliver mammoth returns. That’s why Coutts opens the club solely to professional investors with the capital, the expertise -- and the stomachs -- to handle the risk. (It helps that investors are eligible for tax breaks, such as not paying capital-gains levies, thanks to a U.K. government program that supports small businesses.)

Pop that next to the share news.

Edit: So I'm guessing that people are watching the unicorns and thinking that they need to get behind that sort of valuation bubble. It's November 1999 all over again.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

It's that loving Hav guy who's to blame, I'm telling you; first that QAnon insanity map and now this, quit overwriting my reality with yours :argh:

Let the uncertainty rise and overtake all rational thought. Yes, yes, that's it, feel the dark side....

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 13, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

Meet the meat isn't in the original radio play, I know that much. Also after the restaurant the radio version has them stealing a ship from the shape-shifting Hagunenons rather than the Disaster Area sunship, but I guess the former was too hard to do on screen (I can't remember what ship it is in the book)

It's hotblack's sundiver in the books. Douglas Adams was 'difficult' to get along with sometimes, so 'slartibartfast' was named to annoy his typist, a whole bunch of scenes in the books were there to resist televising, so when he did finally come around, they changed the plot by shitloads. It makes the whole concept of Adams 'canon' really funny, mainly because he retconned constantly.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

No! Don't you understand!? CiG is keeping a list of all the haters, doxxers, Smarties, and goons. When the game comes out we will be punished like a Stimpire dissident.

The earnestness with which they believe that CIG is going to protect them from ever having to play the game alongside someone who called it a scam is one of the more adorable parts of the Citizenry. It's gonna be a real disappointment when they realize CIG will do anything for money.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

G0RF posted:

quote:

I daresay it goes further than him being haughty.
Absolution is forgiveness for sins. One is given forgiveness for wrongdoings that one has confessed to.
That makes the line
"I absolve myself of that (i.e. estimating my time or other people's time because I always feel like I could do it)"
{I cut off the "quicker than you know, it ultimately would be." because it sounds like an escape to change the meaning of what he said before 'quicker'; a mistake where he spoke what he knew to be true needing to be modified to fit the fantasy.}:
into:
"I [confess to have done wrong and forgive] myself of [wrongly estimating needed time and thinking I could do it]."

In short: "I admit to not being able to lead the project."

It’s exactly that. And Roberts act of self-absolution uses the exact same defense that the Believers prefer - overoptimism.

It’s a retreat to a managerial incompetence defense framed as flatteringly as circumstances allow, “all creators are optimists, what is there to forgive?”

Quite a bit of worse comes to worst, and even more if you’re not sorry and sure you’ve done no wrong. And you can count on the pessimists to make better sense of what the optimists choose not to. They’ve been expecting it.

What I mean to say is, we have here an admission that he can't do it and won't do it.
An admission that the ongoing show is not the making of a game.
So what happens when the Chairman says he failed to make the game?
So far, money keeps being thrown at them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

There's now way CIG would be professional enough not to gently caress that up out of spite. I have no doubt they would actively gently caress with the balance of the game in order to favor their loyal backers. Years ago CCP was caught doing that when a developer gave a high profile alliance copies of ultra-rare blueprints that provided a massive economic advantage. IIRC the developer was fired in that case. With CIG I would expect a similar thing to get out where it ended up being Chris himself or something.

The possibility of actively loving with some of the most self-entitled and utterly insufferable people on the planet was the whole I reason I got into this game in the first place.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Necros posted:

were you just scared of girls or what? doesnt look like youre ugly.

edit: you kinda look like evgeny kuznetsov lol

the day I touched down in america-town in 91' I started gaining weight, by the time I was in middle school I was a chubby mtg playing foreign/funny named nerd. I lost the weight like a year or two before this stuff took place but in my head I was still a fat nerd who did his best nice guy routine with ladies and would get frustrated on why they didn't see how great I was.

so ya, ladies terrified me, I had absolutely no ability to talk to women like human beings.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 13, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Morphix posted:

now I mostly protect my seed to maintain vigilance and full power at all times.

Every sperm is sacred.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's now way CIG would be professional enough not to gently caress that up out of spite. I have no doubt they would actively gently caress with the balance of the game in order to favor their loyal backers. Years ago CCP was caught doing that when a developer gave a high profile alliance copies of ultra-rare blueprints that provided a massive economic advantage. IIRC the developer was fired in that case. With CIG I would expect a similar thing to get out where it ended up being Chris himself or something.

The possibility of actively loving with some of the most self-entitled and utterly insufferable people on the planet was the whole I reason I got into this game in the first place.

The escapist on the subject: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/op-ed/847-Jumpgate-EVE-s-Devs-and-the-Friends-They-Keep

I know Kugutsumen, and he was treated like every drat whistleblower on the planet and unfairly blamed for outing the truth. That writeup basically underscores the sheer shittiness of CCP when faced with something entirely unfair and closing ranks.

quote:

Please forgive me for having a hard time believing your statement about your intentions. Instead of taking your concerns to the proper channels and dealing directly with CCP, you have incited the EVE community, besmirched the reputations of a number of innocent players and developers, and much more. Your actions have done damage to this game you profess to love, damage that is going to take a long time to repair.

Until you remove all content on your site concerning these allegations, I have nothing to discuss with you. Removing said content will be the first step in proving the honesty of your intent. As I stated on the forums, CCP is investigating and further outcry will not speed the investigation along.

kieron
Community Manager
EVE Online, CCP Games

Besmirching was had. Attempts to move this under the rug happened. Drama was wholesale.

Edit: I had to go back and check; T20 wasn't fired; https://www.eveonline.com/article/on-recent-allegations/

He basically mea-culpa'd, killed the characters and gave back the BPOs, but as I recall at the time he wasn't the only one, just the one caught in the most egregious acts of assisting Band of Devs. The CSM was essentially a way to claim that they were doing something.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 13, 2018

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Really?

It all blends into one in my head.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

Really?

It all blends into one in my head.

There's a whole variant of the "lentilla" bits of the radio plays where I mentally dub in 'Derek' now.

It's a sickness.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Morphix posted:

the day I touched down in america-town in 91' I started gaining weight, by the time I was in middle school I was a chubby mtg playing foreign/funny named nerd. I lost the weight like a year or two before this stuff took place but in my head I was still a fat nerd who did his best nice guy routine with ladies and would get frustrated on why they didn't see how great I was.

so ya, ladies terrified me, I had absolutely no ability to talk to women like human beings.

Think of it this way, grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Hot leak action :siren:

Dat texture fidelity and FPS tho :eyepop:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I see they are getting ready for their Citcon demo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Fatkraken posted:

Isn't "Meet the meat" from the BBC television series version?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Quavers posted:

games from 2003 had better looking cityscapes, holy poo poo

Colostomy Bag posted:

Think of it this way, grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence.

oh no doubt. since than lifes taken a few turns and now I'm mostly a functioning human being. but I have a special place in my heart for the unfuckable and angry incel dorks. I like to give them tough-love whenever I encounter them because goddamn did I need someone to call me out on my angry bullshit when I was that age.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 13, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I sexually identify as 0.9 FPS

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I sexually identify as 0.9 FPS

it's obviously just the editor goony fudder, once it's finally imported into the engine it will surely be ten fold that number!

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beexoffel posted:

Bienvenue, ami!

Nononononononono….don't write French.
Zzr will be correcting it in no time.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Morphix posted:

it's obviously just the editor goony fudder, once it's finally imported into the engine it will surely be ten fold that number!

….once they get the polys down to about 20

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Quavers posted:

Yeah, it occasionally hits double digits. I'm amazed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

This looks like Blade Runner with an intern at the helm.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Zzr posted:

Ramps, one of the great pve encounters alongside doors.

This is exactly what B'tak meant by having PVE experiences that are just as dangerous as PVP thus allowing them access to the best LEWTS in the game also!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

Isn't "Meet the meat" from the BBC television series version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAF35dekiAY&t=70s

Slightly different.

Drunk Theory posted:

I see they are getting ready for their Citcon demo.

No poo poo. Wonder if it's still procedural, and hasn't evolved into a static mapped city.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Morphix posted:

oh no doubt. since than lifes taken a few turns and now I'm mostly a functioning human being. but I have a special place in my heart for the unfuckable and angry incel dorks. I like to give them tough-love whenever I encounter them because goddamn did I need someone to call me out on my angry bullshit when I was that age.

And what good that would have done?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Quavers posted:

Store Citizer: making more progress than ever - which isn't saying much admittedly :eng99:

Hahaha, I just undid the removal of Star Citizen, how far gone are these lunatics?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From your mouth to gods ears.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Quavers posted:

A city designed by Dahir Insaat looks better than this.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

If I buy enough of the land beacons with the larger acreage, can I use the procgen city tools to play SimCity on the moon? Or will I have to wait for private servers and the modding tools to be released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MilesK posted:

If I buy enough of the land beacons with the larger acreage, can I use the procgen city tools to play SimCity on the moon? Or will I have to wait for private servers and the modding tools to be released?

Yes