Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't believe it's been on Steam for 2 years and I'm now just hearing about it...

It's like when I went ten years not knowing sonic and knuckles was the second half of sonic 3 and not just a cartridge that added knuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Undertale fans are annoying because they often if or the superior quirky indie RPG game, Lisa.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Undertale fans are annoying because they often if or the superior quirky indie RPG game, Lisa.

I agree everything about LISA is great except actually playing it. The combat gameplay just seems extremely punishing and I think if you lose 1 or 2 key party members you're just hosed. I never finished it because I just got dealt some bad hands.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Good starter jRPGs include Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy 4-6.

FFMQ

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

both games are good though

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SonicMania is incredible. It's basically as good as people say the old Sonic games are.

Finally, an actual quality game for the Blue Hedgehog again. I can't believe Sega let Sonic Team work on the series for so long.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Still no real details but we've got the very tiniest hint of a UI for the online thing, and they didn't fix the scrolling display of the SMB3 rom.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1028959372712587264

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just imagine this whole Switch Online service being a huge clusterfuck that kills Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart online. I just can't imagine why Switch users would want to pay for this, so i'm trying to get as much time in on Splatoon 2 as I can before it's dead.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I said come in! posted:

I just imagine this whole Switch Online service being a huge clusterfuck that kills Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart online.

Yeah this is going to loving slaughter the online populations of multiplayer Switch games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The way i read that implies thay you cant play the roms unless connected to the internet so finally, the least convenient way to play a game older than i am

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American McGay posted:

Still no real details but we've got the very tiniest hint of a UI for the online thing, and they didn't fix the scrolling display of the SMB3 rom.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1028959372712587264

That's not a rom problem, that's just how the game draws. It wouldn't be visible in most CRT televisions but it's always been there

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The scrolling display thing in SMB3 isn't a bug to be fixed; a lot of NES games allowed garbage and/or empty space on the edges of the screen because CRT television overscan would crop it out, so it didn't matter. Now on a modern display you see the whole buffalo. It's accurate to the original hardware and software, even if your old TV hid it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I just imagine this whole Switch Online service being a huge clusterfuck that kills Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart online. I just can't imagine why Switch users would want to pay for this, so i'm trying to get as much time in on Splatoon 2 as I can before it's dead.

the number of kids will probably decline, but I don't see why adults would stop playing online

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Yeah why would I want to pay less than $2/month to keep playing the awesome game I get the most fun out of?

I should instead throw my $60 game in the toilet and have less fun but one more crack at the value menu at shoneys

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

The way i read that implies thay you cant play the roms unless connected to the internet so finally, the least convenient way to play a game older than i am

I'm pretty sure they already confirmed that you only need to be online if you're using the online multiplayer. Probably it checks in once a month to see if your subscription has lapsed.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

That's not a rom problem, that's just how the game draws. It wouldn't be visible in most CRT televisions but it's always been there
I know but it's fairly simple to fix if you're already editing the rom to allow new netplay features and leaderboards or whatever. It's a dumb look is all, even if it's technically true to the original.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the number of kids will probably decline, but I don't see why adults would stop playing online

Did you use Nintendo online when it was free?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm pretty sure they already confirmed that you only need to be online if you're using the online multiplayer. Probably it checks in once a month to see if your subscription has lapsed.

yeah I vaguely remember this too. "Online only" being a thing for what is essentially PS Plus Junior would go down like a lead zeppelin much like XBone's catastrophic "needs to be online at all times" mandate loving murdering them at E3. But I agree that the online plan will potentially gently caress over the online community if only because the perks---loving NES games---are just not strong enough. NES is the lowest bar imaginable; SNES is at least of a high enough quality to get people on board.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DLC Inc posted:

yeah I vaguely remember this too. "Online only" being a thing for what is essentially PS Plus Junior would go down like a lead zeppelin much like XBone's catastrophic "needs to be online at all times" mandate loving murdering them at E3. But I agree that the online plan will potentially gently caress over the online community if only because the perks---loving NES games---are just not strong enough. NES is the lowest bar imaginable; SNES is at least of a high enough quality to get people on board.

Cloud saves?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did you use Nintendo online when it was free?

Yeah

But I also did the one-month free trial of practically every other service I'm subscribed to. I don't see how this is any different.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kids are going to get beaten for asking their parents to subscribe. Thats why they called it the switch

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

SonicMania is incredible. It's basically as good as people say the old Sonic games are.

Finally, an actual quality game for the Blue Hedgehog again. I can't believe Sega let Sonic Team work on the series for so long.

Sonic Team worked on Mania, and it was their idea/resources that helped it be a game longer than four levels.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Cloud saves?

sure but that's a quality-of-life add that is so extremely basic that it's hard to get enthused over

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re also selling just the game for $29.

Undertale owns and is worth a play if you like more quirky games like Earthbound. Yes, it has weird fans but so does literally every popular game so don’t let that get in the way of trying it.

I know I'm in the minority and one's not expected to like everything but Undertale always felt forced to me. Everything that's offbeat about the Mother series is very sincere and genuine while Undertale just felt like it was trying to be clever. That and I hated the battle system, bullethell is one of my least favorite things to do, so that was a slog to get through.

It's not a bad game but I just found it to be a bit of a waste of my time. I feel like I missed something though and should replay it to see what that was. I feel the same way about Infinite Jest, it didn't do too much for me and it was way too long for me to want to re-read it to find out what it was I missed. So I guess I'll never find out. But as they say 100 million internet people can't be wrong, so probably worth your time getting it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Takoluka posted:

Cloud saves?

This one is frustrating because they could render the need for it moot by just letting you put your save on an sdcard and back it up yourself.

Paywalling multiplayer mid-generation is risky as hell and the sweeteners - fulfilling an artificial need for cloud saves and a bunch of loving NES games - are not sweet enough for them to pull it off, IMO.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know I'm in the minority and one's not expected to like everything but Undertale always felt forced to me. Everything that's offbeat about the Mother series is very sincere and genuine while Undertale just felt like it was trying to be clever. That and I hated the battle system, bullethell is one of my least favorite things to do, so that was a slog to get through.

It's not a bad game but I just found it to be a bit of a waste of my time. I feel like I missed something though and should replay it to see what that was. I feel the same way about Infinite Jest, it didn't do too much for me and it was way too long for me to want to re-read it to find out what it was I missed. So I guess I'll never find out. But as they say 100 million internet people can't be wrong, so probably worth your time getting it.

If it makes you feel better I 100% agree with Undertale.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The biggest problem with Undertale is that it is only a couple of hours long. Even if you get the true ending and do that extra quest.

The game needed an extra two hours at least.

Xad posted:

Sonic Team worked on Mania, and it was their idea/resources that helped it be a game longer than four levels.

It says it was developed by PagodaWest Games and Headcannon. I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Team helped but I doubt they were the main people doing the level design and physics.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 13, 2018

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Having recently bought my switch I’ve been really enjoying Odyssey, that is until recently getting to the Luncheon kingdom which loving sucks and has actively stopped me playing the game for a few days.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Undertale is my friend

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Having recently bought my switch I’ve been really enjoying Odyssey, that is until recently getting to the Luncheon kingdom which loving sucks and has actively stopped me playing the game for a few days.

Luncheon is weird. It feels like it was developed before they decided on the theme of the game.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I don't get the hate for Luncheon, I really enjoyed it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Luncheon is fine, although the vast expanses of purple goop do give it a weird empty feeling. I felt the same way about Tostarena though.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The problem with Luncheon is that it really wants you to like being the fireball, but nobody likes being the fireball.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Luncheon Kingdom is where I realized I loved Mario Odyssey. Sorry you are having the opposite experience. :(

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Wildtortilla posted:

Luncheon Kingdom is where I realized I loved Mario Odyssey. Sorry you are having the opposite experience. :(

Same, it was on par with NDC for me. Also becoming meat was so weird for me I remember it vividly months after playing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Undertale is good and so is the Luncheon Kingdom.

Also jump rope is very very easy and anyone that says it's not is lying to me, don't try and convince me otherwise because I don't believe you

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Jump rope was hard until I learned to pay attention to the audio cues and not the animation of the character and also play the game in handheld mode to remove input lag.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

seaside kingdom was my favorite and I'd probably play a whole game of just that

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

punk rebel ecks posted:

The biggest problem with Undertale is that it is only a couple of hours long. Even if you get the true ending and do that extra quest.

The game needed an extra two hours at least.

It says it was developed by PagodaWest Games and Headcannon. I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Team helped but I doubt they were the main people doing the level design and physics.

Nah, undertale is the correct length. Where would you add? It doesn't need any more padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
When I think of playing classic NES games online, I picture taking turns playing Super Mario Bros. 3 with a complete stranger.

It might as well just let the computer play a level for me and tell me I'm playing "online".

• Locked thread