Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Last Guardian has a dedicated button to pet Trico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Twitch posted:

I'm playing it for the first time right now (I was waiting for a decent sale on the PSN store), and I'm pretty early in the game but I'd say it's that you feel way too squishy and it relies on shitloads of enemies spawning in compared to the first game. Still into the game, but I agree.

That and every single map in the entire game just being a series of cramped corridors with a different skin. I was enjoying it at first but it got old fast and I ended up hating it by the end

Edit: poo poo, this isn’t the bad thread

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Twitch posted:

I'm playing it for the first time right now (I was waiting for a decent sale on the PSN store), and I'm pretty early in the game but I'd say it's that you feel way too squishy and it relies on shitloads of enemies spawning in compared to the first game. Still into the game, but I agree.

You really cant play it like Doom unless you have surgical precision and twitch reflexes.
Cover and stealth are incredibly useful, especially for thinning out problems in an encounter before 'going loud'.

The first part where your health works differently and you dont have the toys of later in the game is real rough though, yeah.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If your armor regenerated it would have been okay. But instead they gutted your hp and just let you carry more armor.

In good things I've been playing hole.io and it made me want to play Katamari Damacy so I grabbed my copy from my dad's house today. I forgot how The King was the Best Worst Dad Ever

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You really cant play it like Doom unless you have surgical precision and twitch reflexes.
Cover and stealth are incredibly useful, especially for thinning out problems in an encounter before 'going loud'.

The first part where your health works differently and you dont have the toys of later in the game is real rough though, yeah.

Oh. That just killed my desire to buy the game.

Doom should be akin to Borderlands 2's Gunzerker in Zerk mode.

Just rip and tearing and blood and guts. Wtf is stealth in DOom?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Doom isn't the stealth game, there is no stealth in doom. The Wolfenstein series is the game with stealth.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've been playing No Man's Sky and so far the recent updates have made it actually pretty entertaining in its way.

It seems to have a lot of little details that most people would miss. So far my favorite is that walking on a toxic world just sounds gross. It makes this "squalch squalch squalch" sound when you walk around. Your foot steps change depending on what kind of planet you're on and it's great that they put that little detail in. The toxic one was the one that got my attention because the sound made me want to immediately fly away somewhere less disgusting.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Doom isn't the stealth game, there is no stealth in doom. The Wolfenstein series is the game with stealth.

Oh wait, they said "cant play it LIKE doom"

I can only blame my complete exhaustion from this past week. I hosed up, sorry!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

They're talking about Wolfenstein, which plays quite a bit differently from Doom16, mostly in that you need to have some semblance of cover or BJ kinda keels over dead.

efb

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean, you could theoretically play DOOM as a cover based shooter, if you don’t mind a big fucker flanking you and punching your head down your rear end in a top hat while one really big fucker completely peppers your potential escape route with hellfire from behind

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EmmyOk posted:

In the most recent World of Warcraft expansion, both factions get some new races of people as their allies, and as such build embassies for them in their capital cities. The Alliance one has a corgi you can pet, which is a clear indication of faction superiority right there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Doom is totally a stealth game. After all, who will witness you after you kill everyone?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

Doom is totally a stealth game. After all, who will witness you after you kill everyone?

"All witnesses killed -1000g bounty"

Doomguy for Dragonborn.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nuebot posted:

"All witnesses killed -1000g bounty"

Doomguy for Dragonborn.

There's a Doomwad that supports this I bet

And you can run it on a car's dashboard, a smartwatch, and an oscilloscope

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was an incredible doomwad where you and another player where ina crowd of like 2,000 plus civilian sprites all moving and doing things and each of you has a pistol with one bullet and is trying to kill the other. If you used a device to ping the other player it told them where you were too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Barudak posted:

There was an incredible doomwad where you and another player where ina crowd of like 2,000 plus civilian sprites all moving and doing things and each of you has a pistol with one bullet and is trying to kill the other. If you used a device to ping the other player it told them where you were too.

Is there a video of it on youtube? That sounds like a loving blast

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

EmmyOk posted:

He also responds negatively to shoving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8TP9zPOJ7E&t=54s

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Can you still dual wield heavy machine guns that have underslung rocket launchers in Wolfenstein TNC? Because that was legit my favorite part of TNO, gently caress subtlety just lemme kill Nazis with two of their own guns. That was also my one complaint with DOOM 2016, it limited me to one mindmeltingly awesome kick-rear end gun at a time.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Screaming Idiot posted:

There's a Doomwad that supports this I bet

And you can run it on a car's dashboard, a smartwatch, and an oscilloscope

No, no, no.

You can run Quake on an oscilloscope.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Disproportionation posted:

No, no, no.

You can run Quake on an oscilloscope.

You can also run DOOM on the macbook touch bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0L46y3IqI

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Memento posted:

You can also run DOOM on the macbook touch bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0L46y3IqI

Do they ask themselves "Should I do this?" before asking "Can I do to this?" Because that just looks drat near unplayable

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Len posted:

Do they ask themselves "Should I do this?" before asking "Can I do to this?" Because that just looks drat near unplayable

We choose to port to the MacBook Pro Touch Bar in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So they want to harness Hell energy (tm) for like toasters and windmills and poo poo?

I feel like I need to point out; No, they didnt need hell energy for windmills.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Don Gato posted:

Can you still dual wield heavy machine guns that have underslung rocket launchers in Wolfenstein TNC? Because that was legit my favorite part of TNO, gently caress subtlety just lemme kill Nazis with two of their own guns. That was also my one complaint with DOOM 2016, it limited me to one mindmeltingly awesome kick-rear end gun at a time.

In TNC, not only can you dual-wield, you can have a different weapon in each hand if you want. Which is actually sort of annoying to switch in the middle of combat, but it's there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ariong posted:

So basically there is a dimensional hole on Mars that leads to Hell. The UAC, the biggest company on Earth, has set up a base on Mars to suck out Hell energy. Then one of the scientists there, Olivia Pierce, made a deal with a demon to tear open the gateway and let the demons into our reality. That's when the Doom Slayer (you), who they retrieved from an earlier expedition into Hell, awakens. The leader of the UAC and one of the few survivors of the demonic incursion, Samuel Hayden, guides you through the facility toward Pierce so you can stop her while trying to convince you not to destroy the facility. You don't listen.

The key to the success of Doom's plot is that it is totally optional. Every cutscene except the first is skippable, and a lot of the flavor is inside of data logs that you don't need to read.

One thing I really like about the UAC setting where most of DOOM 2016 takes place is how the pretense of them using purely scientific means to extract Hell energy becomes thinner over the course of the game. As it starts, Hell energy and the extraction thereof is described using clinical sounding terms, and the assertion is that Hell Energy is a resource just like any other and they understand it completely. As you get deeper into the facility, it becomes clearer and clearer that Hell Energy really can only be extracted and manipulated by magic and dark rituals, which is what they are actually doing. It's the same calm voiced announcer the whole time, but whereas at the start he gives announcements about company picnics and overtime, by the end of the game he delivers information about volunteering for blood sacrifices and remembering to perform your sacrament.

The other half of the story, which ToxicSlurpee touched on, is that Doomguy has been wreaking havoc in Hell for a very, very long time. He was the last survivor of an earlier civilization that Hell invaded, everyone else was wiped out but Doomguy was so loving angry that he kept killing demons long after the war was lost. He got his Doom Slayer suit from some sort of otherworldly ally we don't learn a lot about, and just kept killing more demons and getting angrier and stronger until nothing in Hell was able to stand against him. The best they could do was to lure him into a trap and seal him away in a crypt plastered with the demonic equivalent of "THIS PLACE IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR etc". This crypt was retrieved by UAC and opened in our world after Pierce begins the new invasion- it seemed to contain something the demons hate and fear, so they popped the lid as a final act of desperation. Out leaps Doomguy, none the worse for wear, still strong, still angry, still raring to rip and tear, and this is the first moment of the game where you get control of the character.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SiKboy posted:

I feel like I need to point out; No, they didnt need hell energy for windmills.

Geez, dummy - how else are they going to generate wind?

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
It's my sincere belief that the only reason that the demons invade Mars, is because Samuel removed the sarcophagus.

They're trying to retrieve it before it opens.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Ico had a dedicated button for holding hands and this is how you saved the game:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

haveblue posted:

The other half of the story, which ToxicSlurpee touched on, is that Doomguy has been wreaking havoc in Hell for a very, very long time. He was the last survivor of an earlier civilization that Hell invaded, everyone else was wiped out but Doomguy was so loving angry that he kept killing demons long after the war was lost. He got his Doom Slayer suit from some sort of otherworldly ally we don't learn a lot about, and just kept killing more demons and getting angrier and stronger until nothing in Hell was able to stand against him. The best they could do was to lure him into a trap and seal him away in a crypt plastered with the demonic equivalent of "THIS PLACE IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR etc". This crypt was retrieved by UAC and opened in our world after Pierce begins the new invasion- it seemed to contain something the demons hate and fear, so they popped the lid as a final act of desperation. Out leaps Doomguy, none the worse for wear, still strong, still angry, still raring to rip and tear, and this is the first moment of the game where you get control of the character.

To add to that, the demons had to collapse a massive giant temple on top of Doomguy to finally contain him

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Aw, I kinda liked the idea of Doomguy being just some marine guy. Now he's an ancient some other guy. I'll get used to it somehow.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

One thing I really like about the UAC setting where most of DOOM 2016 takes place is how the pretense of them using purely scientific means to extract Hell energy becomes thinner over the course of the game. As it starts, Hell energy and the extraction thereof is described using clinical sounding terms, and the assertion is that Hell Energy is a resource just like any other and they understand it completely. As you get deeper into the facility, it becomes clearer and clearer that Hell Energy really can only be extracted and manipulated by magic and dark rituals, which is what they are actually doing. It's the same calm voiced announcer the whole time, but whereas at the start he gives announcements about company picnics and overtime, by the end of the game he delivers information about volunteering for blood sacrifices and remembering to perform your sacrament.

Basically: If you discover that the company you work for have a system that monitors demonic activity it's time to get the gently caress out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Aw, I kinda liked the idea of Doomguy being just some marine guy. Now he's an ancient some other guy. I'll get used to it somehow.

Lol if you thought you could just spend centuries in Hell without something about you changing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

The inference is that doomguy was a regular marine who thanks to ripping and tearing became part of the ancient something

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

He also might be the original doomguy marine after slaughtering demons through space and time. The Doom Slayer just sort of inexplicably has two backstories and it’s not really clear how they’re supposed to fit together (as far as I know)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently when the first Doom was made they made a guy write a huge and detailed "Doom bible" but eventually scrapped it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'd like to imagine Doomguy is just a very withered very old very angry screaming corpse inside that suit.Like he's just holding himself together by screaming and scowling.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'd like to imagine Doomguy is just a very withered very old very angry screaming corpse inside that suit.Like he's just holding himself together by screaming and scowling.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Isn't this the plot of the later Crysis games?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

Isn't this the plot of the later Crysis games?

The person in the suit isnt alive, its all suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Thats basically one of the antagonists from Knights of the Old Republic 2, minus the suit.