Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

pc gaming is lame as hell, its all free to play bullshit, mobas (the lames genre), mmos and strategy turn based boardgame crap

otoh into the breach is extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

pc gaming is lame as hell, its all free to play bullshit, mobas (the lames genre), mmos and strategy turn based boardgame crap

lol

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hacknet is one of the best games ever and it only works on PC :smug:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
PC is cool because you can play Descent there with an actual joystick with a HAT and twist axis like you should

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Jet Set Radio Future was worth the price of an Xbox :colbert:

:yeah:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

basic hitler posted:

i like to support small developers, and i wish cd pr red treated their workers better, but i also back them. I've got a standing policy to never give EA, ubisoft, or activision blizzard another cent of my money ever again though.

thankfully i basically have no interest in what big-name publishers are making these days so it's not much of a moral quandary

really this. All the multi-million dollar engine research and coding has been done and packaged into free/affordable toolkits. Small teams are the ones cranking out the good poo poo nowadays.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

olives black posted:

really this. All the multi-million dollar engine research and coding has been done and packaged into free and affordable toolkits. Small teams are the ones cranking out the good poo poo nowadays.

The "AAA" space all seems so samey now. The constant begging for money and attempts to force me to play with other humans certainly doesn't help.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Into the Breach is definitely a mediocre game

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TheScott2K posted:

The "AAA" space all seems so samey now. The constant begging for money and attempts to force me to play with other humans certainly doesn't help.

Games as a service!

:hmmyes:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Games as a service!

I got a service Blizzard can give me: a dick-sucking :goofy:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

oh dope posted:

Into the Breach is definitely a mediocre game

Is it? I loved FTL and haven't bought it yet, why is it not good?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

75 million PS4s= not that many in delusional master race land.

Same I just like talking poo poo about games online.

Yeah, 75 million isn't that many in a world of 7.5 billion people.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MMO's are actually often fun to play and well designed, I don't mind them and playing blackrock depths with 4 irl friends on a lan is probably some of the most fun i've had in a game.

Adventure games are cool but I don't care for Monkey Island because Leisure Suit Larry Love for Sail is just funnier and the two Discworld ones are more challenging and fun to play.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 12, 2018

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Is it? I loved FTL and haven't bought it yet, why is it not good?

It's fun it just doesn't have anywhere near the staying power that FTL did. Beat it a couple of times and you've seen everything. Upgrades are all sidegrades at best and in a lot of cases significantly worse than the default loadouts.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Haven't played Into The Breach from the looks of it it seems like an alright game that absolutely nobody would have heard of if it didn't say "from the makers of FTL".

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Haven't played Into The Breach from the looks of it it seems like an alright game that absolutely nobody would have heard of if it didn't say "from the makers of FTL".

Yeah, creating brand recognition by being a competent game designer, how silly is that?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

basic hitler posted:

just lol if you don't squirm with a big anime sweat drop on your forehead as people discuss something nerdy, eager and unable to sit still, your huge fat thundering rear end quaking as you begin to shake violently, signalling to everyone you want to speak, and finally in a tenor pitch nasally voice you you say, as you push up your glasses, "Why do you nerds even care about this! You should be cool, like me", as a strained whitehead finally bursts on your forehead and you chortle superiorly, killing the conversation that you can now dominate with some poo poo nobody else cares about

Oh sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt your lovely rendition of “GameFAQs circa 2003”.

Please, by all means, carry on.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Seriously through, one of the main reasons I went back to consoles is because of how expensive video cards got.

It’s been a while since I’ve checked though, have Cryptos stopped jacking up the prices?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bitcoin mining loving sucks. Before that yo ucould get a perfectly fine GPU for pennies.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's fun it just doesn't have anywhere near the staying power that FTL did. Beat it a couple of times and you've seen everything. Upgrades are all sidegrades at best and in a lot of cases significantly worse than the default loadouts.

It took me ~1 island each to really figure out how a new squad works and there are like 10 of them, each of them creating pretty significant differences in gameplay. So I liked that. That's definitely not as deep of a level of replayability as FTL, since FTL had a shitload of different events you could experience on each replay

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
FTL is a loving piece of poo poo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

The relentless push to multiplayer is definitely a downside to me. I'm an old asocial bastard, and don't know many people who play games in the first place. Trying to coordinate schedules is almost impossible, not least of which due to me having an unfortunately nocturnal schedule. Playing coop with randoms is a crapshoot at best, and playing competitively is often ruined due to lax or nonexistent policing of cheaters.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Bitcoin mining loving sucks. Before that yo ucould get a perfectly fine GPU for pennies.

nobody needs an expensive gpu unless you're doing VR or 4k or more than 60hz. if you're not upgrading your display as well a highend card from ~4 years ago will still play everything on high-ultra (if you're just looking to match console performace you can spend even less), and CPUs are even sillier because they really haven't gotten appreciably faster in a decade. you just get more cores, which is good if you're streaming but otherwise will improve performance in practically no games ever

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 12, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

nobody needs an expensive gpu unless you're doing VR or 4k or more than 60hz. if you're not upgrading your display as well a highend card from ~4 years ago will still play everything on high-ultra (if you're just looking to match console performace you can spend even less), and CPUs are even sillier because they really haven't gotten appreciably faster in a decade. you just get more cores, which is good if you're streaming but otherwise will improve performance in practically no games ever

Yes, you can get 1050 and enjoy a vast upgrade over consoles... but afaik even that card is now more expensive than it used to be

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

FTL is a loving piece of poo poo

It is, in fact, very good, and the only people who don't like it are bad at the game.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

At some point in the next year Intel and AMD will be shipping CPUs with hardware fixes for the recent speculative execution issues and there will be a flood of cheap gaming and business class PCs/laptops

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 12, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The relentless push to multiplayer is definitely a downside to me. I'm an old asocial bastard, and don't know many people who play games in the first place. Trying to coordinate schedules is almost impossible, not least of which due to me having an unfortunately nocturnal schedule. Playing coop with randoms is a crapshoot at best, and playing competitively is often ruined due to lax or nonexistent policing of cheaters.

I mean, being the hero of a fantastic story set in a compelling world is fine, but what if you could be the equivalent of a retail worker in a populated MMO, where the heroes are Asian guys poopsockin 24-7 ? Also we have loot boxes

Does that sound like something you’d be interested in?
Too bad, we’re not working on anything else

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idk if it's an unpopular opinion but all the Sonic games, even 1 thru 3 and Mania, are just loving bad in a mechanical sense. The games just completely frustrate you by telling you it's designed to speed through yet you're being dicked over by spikes and unkillable hazards every few seconds. Even in Sonic Mania recently my wife was just laughing and bewildered at it, saying "this game kind of sucks" as I kept running headfirst into random poo poo that you cannot prepare for or predict. It's kind of a mindblowing thing that the core tenant of these games is undermined by a bizarre design philosophy of finding new and creative ways to punish you for daring to build momentum. Like how the gently caress is Mania rated so highly when it doubles down on that poo poo.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

DLC Inc posted:

idk if it's an unpopular opinion but all the Sonic games, even 1 thru 3 and Mania, are just loving bad in a mechanical sense. The games just completely frustrate you by telling you it's designed to speed through yet you're being dicked over by spikes and unkillable hazards every few seconds. Even in Sonic Mania recently my wife was just laughing and bewildered at it, saying "this game kind of sucks" as I kept running headfirst into random poo poo that you cannot prepare for or predict. It's kind of a mindblowing thing that the core tenant of these games is undermined by a bizarre design philosophy of finding new and creative ways to punish you for daring to build momentum. Like how the gently caress is Mania rated so highly when it doubles down on that poo poo.

Sonic sucks but the games are also easy as poo poo so it kinda sounds like you’re just bad at it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

DLC Inc posted:

Maybe you shouldn't play fast sidescrolling platformers if you can't handle blast processing

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

overwatch is weird and its fans are weird and everything about it is weird

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whoops

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 13, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Rabbit death screams are the worst/saddest noise I’ve ever heard in my life. Years ago I had to mercy kill a whole litter of baby rabbits by stomping them with my boot and that sound is burned into my brain forever.

:stare:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wrong unpopular opinion thread. Have some nightmare fuel I guess lol.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Thats pretty disgusting

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Put it back.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ive made a lot of mistakes in life but at least i never stomped on baby rabbits with my boot

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Put it back.

You’ve still got it quoted. It’s not a mystery. im not putting it back because out of context I just sound like a crazy person and it has nothing to do with this thread lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

You’ve still got it quoted. It’s not a mystery

Put it baaaaaaaaaaaa