Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What is the appeal of Tempo Storm? I don't know much about them besides they love to throw and they're headed by a guy who was forced to play Hearthstone after cheating at MtG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I dunno that Kala youtuber guy seems cool and he works for them.

Also lol that a team called GenG is op like known hero genji.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

bamhand posted:

What is the appeal of Tempo Storm? I don't know much about them besides they love to throw and they're headed by a guy who was forced to play Hearthstone after cheating at MtG.

Kala was their coach for a while, and is now their manager. He seems like an all-around good guy, and focuses a lot of time on coaching and teaching the game. He streams multiple 45-60 minute community coaching sessions with random people that submit games every week.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Kala is an amazing guy and has really good game sense, so if you ever get the chance to be on his team, encourage him to shotcall.

I sniped him once when he was ranking his coach account while it was in my league, and it was an easy victory.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

lucifirius posted:

Kala is an amazing guy and has really good game sense, so if you ever get the chance to be on his team, encourage him to shotcall.

I sniped him once when he was ranking his coach account while it was in my league, and it was an easy victory.

After today, Kala needs to go back to coaching TS.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Wasn't TempoStorm the team that had to replace a player on short notice cause one of their dudes suddenly decided to quit to play fortnight?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I didn't catch it, how badly did they get hosed?

Edit: 1-2, so could've been worse. Reading the discussion thread on the subreddit paints a poor picture though.

fool_of_sound posted:

Wasn't TempoStorm the team that had to replace a player on short notice cause one of their dudes suddenly decided to quit to play fortnight?

Yeah, it was Psalm that left, and they got ViN to replace him. ViN was decent in those matches.

lucifirius fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 11, 2018

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

lucifirius posted:

I didn't catch it, how badly did they get hosed?

Edit: 1-2, so could've been worse. Reading the discussion thread on the subreddit paints a poor picture though.

Yeah, it was Psalm that left, and they got ViN to replace him. ViN was decent in those matches.

They almost won vs. Method (Lost a teamfight on bottom point Volskaya... with 20 advantage). They were okay for the first two games against Octalysis but got completely annihilated in draft on the last game and were run over.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I watched the HGC stream last night. Well, I had it on mute and watched Voltron but I did get a loot box.

That's my HotS story.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

siotle posted:

They almost won vs. Method (Lost a teamfight on bottom point Volskaya... with 20 advantage). They were okay for the first two games against Octalysis but got completely annihilated in draft on the last game and were run over.

Yeah, the better team definitely won both matches. TS looked good in their wins but some really questionable decision making in their 4 losses.

At least HHE is still alive, they're probably the only hope for NA. The gap between HHE/TS and the rest of the divison is quite large.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I've been enjoying this tournament. Not quite as wacky as the Abathur/Chogall comp shenanigans in Heroes of the Dorm but still fun. Watching the Dignitas vs. Method match right now and Dignitas is absurdly good :psyduck:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I actually kinda liked Method's weird-rear end triple warrior comp, but I'm not surprised that it lost. Dignitas had too many methods of removing key aspects of the delicate balance that Method struck between its choices. I feel like Method would've done better if they went for a lockdown wombo with Gravitron Surge/Planet Cracker/Apocalypse, though.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Kith posted:

I actually kinda liked Method's weird-rear end triple warrior comp, but I'm not surprised that it lost. Dignitas had too many methods of removing key aspects of the delicate balance that Method struck between its choices. I feel like Method would've done better if they went for a lockdown wombo with Gravitron Surge/Planet Cracker/Apocalypse, though.

Gimmick comps like that almost never win in HGC - the only one I remember recently that did was the triple-stealth-solo-support-Abathur + Muradin, and that came about as close to losing as you can. AFAIK Cho'Gall comps have never won, and every all-melee comp I've seen got beaten badly and pretty quickly.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Gimmick comps like that almost never win in HGC - the only one I remember recently that did was the triple-stealth-solo-support-Abathur + Muradin, and that came about as close to losing as you can. AFAIK Cho'Gall comps have never won, and every all-melee comp I've seen got beaten badly and pretty quickly.

Method just used a gimmick comp in the form of Garrosh/Yrel/Maiev/Malfurion/Abathur and beat up HeroesHearth pretty good. Gimmick comps can definitely succeed, like that time that Cloud9 ran Leoric/Tassadar/Brightwing/Murky/Abathur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD9ycq17Z7o&t=3715s (1:01:55 if the timer doesn't work)

Gimmick comps just require the team running the gimmick comp to coordinate successfully and abuse their strengths as much as possible, especially in relevance to the map's objective. Similarly, the opposing team has to hammer the gimmick comp's weakness as much as they can, something that can be difficult with a normal team.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

so many throws, so little time

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
That was quite possibly the worst throw I have ever seen by a single person in a HGC match (Method v HHE Infernal Shrines)

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Kith posted:

Method just used a gimmick comp in the form of Garrosh/Yrel/Maiev/Malfurion/Abathur and beat up HeroesHearth pretty good. Gimmick comps can definitely succeed, like that time that Cloud9 ran Leoric/Tassadar/Brightwing/Murky/Abathur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD9ycq17Z7o&t=3715s (1:01:55 if the timer doesn't work)

Gimmick comps just require the team running the gimmick comp to coordinate successfully and abuse their strengths as much as possible, especially in relevance to the map's objective. Similarly, the opposing team has to hammer the gimmick comp's weakness as much as they can, something that can be difficult with a normal team.

Not sure I'd call the Method one a gimmick - if it is, all double-supports are. That second one definitely is. And I am not trying to imply they never work, I said 'rarely'. For every successful one, there are a bunch of failures - it's usually something only even tried with your back against the wall or when you're feeling extremely confident.

Midnightghoul posted:

That was quite possibly the worst throw I have ever seen by a single person in a HGC match (Method v HHE Infernal Shrines)

I very much want to know what was going on in HHE's comms when Thrall broke off like that to run past the keep to the catapults that were already dead.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Tempo Storm, who was just eliminated.

I like HHE (best team in NA right now) because I watch their streamers a lot

Reynad is not a good guy.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Khroen's hair has been one of my favorite things in this tournament so far. RIP HHE.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

NA is throwing so hard today. So many bad decisions it blows my mind. The Arthelon thrall play where he tried to run past a tower to the core and died before he got there and now Octalysis just giving up the robot on volskya without contesting post 20...

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah, with a few minor exceptions the problem seems to be decision making rather than mechanical. No matter what you have to stake the game on contesting the protector there because you can't possibly win if they get it.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
HHE being really bad this weekend is really the only surprising result. TF is still in it but I don't expect them to make it past Dig or Method in either bracket

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Midnightghoul posted:

HHE being really bad this weekend is really the only surprising result. TF is still in it but I don't expect them to make it past Dig or Method in either bracket

Heck, I don't think anyone expected them to make it out of the first day

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
What is Cho'gall's HGC win rate again?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
NA so bad they lost to a Chogall

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

That chogall match was quite interesting with Alex lifebinder

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ToastyPotato posted:

What is Cho'gall's HGC win rate again?

Today was his first win, so not good.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
GAZLOWE IN THE GRAND FINALS

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Semper Fudge posted:

GAZLOWE IN THE GRAND FINALS

hell loving yeah

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
lol this is going the way you'd expect

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Semper Fudge posted:

hell loving yeah

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Semper Fudge posted:

He went Robogoblin at 10, it went exactly how you'd imagine. Leftovers picked him into Hammer and it just flat out didn't work. Not sure anything would have though, Dignitas was on top of their game, I think 11-0 in the Clash?

We did finally see Cho"Gall win in HGC at least.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

There just wasn't any counter-drafting at all from Leftovers, which is loving weird because Hammer is like... one of THE easiest characters to counter-draft.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stitches, Artanis, LM or KT...

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Chromie. :getin:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Stukhov used to counter hammer, but that doesn't seem true now.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Kael too. ZJ and Cassia aren't bad either.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Pre-nerf Hanzo was annoying as gently caress because he loving outranged you (the siege tank) and did like 50% of your health with 1 arrow and AA.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hey guys take a look at this here effortpost I made about Tychus. I'll be doing similar review/reworks for Gazlowe and Kerrigan after I (finally) finish the art requests that I got from this thread. If anyone is interested in scoping a rough draft and providing preliminary feedback, shoot me a PM or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kith posted:

Hey guys take a look at this here effortpost I made about Tychus. I'll be doing similar review/reworks for Gazlowe and Kerrigan after I (finally) finish the art requests that I got from this thread. If anyone is interested in scoping a rough draft and providing preliminary feedback, shoot me a PM or something.

Glossing over literally everything else, Deal With It is brilliantly named and iconed, given the effect.