Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

a wise purchase, treasure it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

still need to get into patlabor

i own patlabor 2 on dvd cause i got it at the dollar store and thought it was cool anime was at the dollar store, didnt really know what patlabor was

That's a powerful dollar store purchase

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

true introspective media that comes near anything germany, america or russia has put out is rare and i can count the examples on 1 hand (the fantastic fires on the plain, mouryo no hako and the forgotten tsuki ga noboru made ni).
id say concrevo counts but otherwise ya, kinda

jumping down that guy's throat was kinda dumb everyone, lol. i wouldnt necessarily say it's rare in the realm of japanese fiction/writing in general but among mainstream anime stuff that confronts the war at all is fairly rare and stuff that is solely from the perspective of 'we weren't the victims at all' is, well, even rarer. stuff like japanese concentration camps don't really come up in american mainstream film either so I'm not even saying japan is the sole country with problems of historical revisionism/ignoring the parts of its past it isn't proud of, but Japan has a long, complicated history with depictions of world war 2 in media, and anime is escapist, mass market media meant almost exclusively for japanese consumption. The fact that it's fairly niche means it can get away with a lot, but it also means that it doesn't really have to push any boundaries, and that pushing boundaries can also be contradictory to its bottom line. These aren't inaccurate calls to make.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 13, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Anime that is critical of the government is common enough that when something comes up that says something pointed I don't think it's shocking. Maybe it's not as good as it could be? I don't get a sense that anime is ultra conservative though.

But yea if you're looking for an anime about war and Japan (and in most ways war and the global north) then watch Patlabor 2 it rules.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

e: I kinda feel like this show is what Kabaneri was hyped up to be but let everyone down as far as mood, action, production, etc.

Who is this mystical 'everyone' supposed to be? :colbert:

Kabaneri was perfectly dumb-as-poo poo when it needed to be. I yelled 'Suplex the train!' and he did. I wasn't let down.

I suppose I'll pick Sirius up just because such a comparison was made.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 13, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Anime that is critical of the government is common enough that when something comes up that says something pointed I don't think it's shocking. Maybe it's not as good as it could be? I don't get a sense that anime is ultra conservative though.
I mean there's a difference between 'critical of the government' and 'actually critiquing this one very specific part of history from this one angle'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hanabedo owns, I don't watch a ton of sports shows but the ones I do tend to err on the side of good natured competition instead of slugging matches and crazy eyes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Davincie posted:

media that solely depicts japan as a victim is a poor excuse for anti war media, imagine if germany only made endless movies about dresden. they commonly avoid anything that actually engages with the subject matter besides civilians getting hurt. actual media that engages with the war in other ways is rare and mainly falls within lines of rehabilitation (yamato), propaganda aimed at popularizing the military (kancolle, gup and so on), badly executed revisionism (joker game and other of its ilk) and a variety of alternative history.

true introspective media that comes near anything germany, america or russia has put out is rare and i can count the examples on 1 hand (the fantastic fires on the plain, mouryo no hako and the forgotten tsuki ga noboru made ni). the mangaka hoshino yukinobu has also put out several critical and introspective manga, which got him harassed and lead to him being forbidden to write anymore on the subject. i dont think its any surprise tsuki has no available releases outside of a vhs tv recording either. note also that both anime mentioned here came from sources outside the anime industry, a book series and a concert adaption respectively

I don’t think this is entirely fair to Girls und Panzer, which in itself doesn’t have much to do with the Japanese military (the protagonists don’t even use Japanese tanks). The JSDF did try to use the brand for authority cuteness after the show aired, though.

Joker Game actually seemed to be going in a somewhat introspective direction, but I didn’t watch beyond the first few episodes because it was somewhat boring.

I don’t really disagree with your overall point, though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I will note that Kitaro isn't just criticising the government or Imperial Japan, but broadly modern Japanese culture for failing to educate young people about the truth about historical events.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kitaro loving rules, really enjoying both the new series and the noitaminA series from 2008 that sticks closer to the manga. Deeply wholesome and spooky fun.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ranzear posted:

Who is this mystical 'everyone' supposed to be? :colbert:

Kabaneri was perfectly dumb-as-poo poo when it needed to be. I yelled 'Suplex the train!' and he did. I wasn't let down.

I suppose I'll pick Sirius up just because such a comparison was made.

tbh I didn't watch past the first episode but iirc the general reaction was that folks were pretty hype for it and then it didn't hold up compared to how it was expected to, from what i remember from that season's thread.

To go back to an earlier post, Yuily's arc is well-trodden territory yes but they don't really have to do anything special to make it work, just tell it well and make sure the characters are engaging and for me they're doing ok with that so far.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

tbh I didn't watch past the first episode but iirc the general reaction was that folks were pretty hype for it and then it didn't hold up compared to how it was expected to, from what i remember from that season's thread.

I happened to rewatch it in one sitting recently. I posited at the time that people who liked Kabaneri were the people who were at least iffy with or just hated Attack on Titan, and that still seems to hold with the present company.

I still feel the show ended very strongly. It's just the middle bits that really sucked to wait a week for that may have lost some people along the way. It spends way too long trying to beat any hint of shonen hero out of the main character and have serious dramatic set pieces (and does succeed at least once), but then finally goes "Alright gently caress it, kick his rear end sea-bass!"

The last episodes were great for other callouts too, like "Groovy!"

In fact, it really does have more in common with Evil Dead 2 than I figured, where it just beats up the MC for the longest time then he goes crazy and starts kicking rear end like the character you expect him to be.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 13, 2018

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I thought Kabaneri looked great. The world was pretty cool as well.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This week's mountain girls had good pups, good cake shops and good awkward moments in trains

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
starlight revue was v. good too

This is potatoes. :3:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This weeks Yama no Susume was very heartwarming in how much Aoi has grown and also heartbreaking in that Hinata missed Aoi so much while Aoi was at work

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Since we were touching on Grave of the Fireflies, turns out Takahata eventually drove the lead animator to death through overwork. :smith:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just had a amazing idea while I was taking a poo poo:

A yuri anime called Happy Sugar Life but it's about an adult woman with a sugar mommy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Just had a amazing idea while I was taking a poo poo:

A yuri anime called Happy Sugar Life but it's about an adult woman with a sugar mommy

So, are the serial murders staying in, or...?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This weeks Yama no Susume was very heartwarming in how much Aoi has grown and also heartbreaking in that Hinata missed Aoi so much while Aoi was at work

Felt like a real animation showcase too, even by the show's generous standards. Some really fantastic character acting throughout.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not a big surprise. Studio Ghibli is a hellhole, there's a reason there's an entire One Piece movie about how much it sucked to work there.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Endorph posted:

Not a big surprise. Studio Ghibli is a hellhole, there's a reason there's an entire One Piece movie about how much it sucked to work there.

Wait what? Which one?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paper Triangle posted:

Wait what? Which one?

Baron Omatsuri, Mamoru Hosoda’s contribution.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Endorph posted:

Not a big surprise. Literally every animation studio on the planet is a hellhole, there's a reason there's an entire One Piece movie about how much it sucked to work there.

ftfy. Granted Ghibli is especially bad even by animation studio standards.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kyoani is good

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you can voice a lot of criticism towards ghibli but i don't think they're just unequivocally worse than other studios

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/818834846713778179

one example, though it's not standardized, is how they've handled in-between animation within the studio for a long time, which is a pretty huge thing (kyoani has it too).

the tragic case here, and you see ghibli people talk about it in interviews and stuff, is that people seen as gifted were really pressured to succeed and had tons of expectation pushed onto their shoulders. kondou's death didn't happen overnight, he fostered illness for over a decade and whenever he left the hospital he'd be right back in the studio rather than recouping. here's an excerpt from Miyazaki's eulogy for Kondou, talking about an anime Kondou worked on 20 years before his death.

quote:

I can't forget one scene which Kon-Chan did when he was young. It's a scene in "Future Boy Conan", where the hero laughs to cheer the heroine up.

Being very tired from the long work hours, he drew it half-unconscious, crouching over his desk with his long legs folded. Still, the expression of the boy was really cheerful, full of gentleness and consideration. It was really a great picture.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I hope conditions are better at Ponoc, anyway.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

gol d. rogers treasure was workers rights

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

So, are the serial murders staying in, or...?

i didn't think about that but if mommy kills people it'll probably be way more popular with millenials

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paper Triangle posted:

Wait what? Which one?
yeah, island of baron omatsuri. the villain is just straight-up meant to be miyazaki, hosoda's said as much in interviews. it's a pretty decent movie, I'd check it out even if you aren't that familiar with One Piece.

Anyway Ghibli isn't the worst studio ever despite my personal distaste for it but a lot of people in western anime fandom have some kind of weird image of it as a magical wonderland or the only good anime studio, when it's well below even the standards of the industry in a lot of ways. And this news specifically has led to a lot of 'wondrous' takes like

https://twitter.com/NeguseOreki/status/1029213846781808643

There's definitely a weird circling of the wagons from some circles whenever Ghibli gets criticized, so I feel like it's okay to exaggerate a bit just to try and get through to people that it's not a very good environment despite the successful works they've made. As for every anime studio being bad, even Kyoto Animation has its issues (despite Yamada's best efforts the people at the very top of the studio haven't changed in over a decade, all she's managed to do is get people up to key animator and episode director, though at least those are positions people can eventually get into leadership roles from, the fact that it has maternity leave is admirable considering how dire the rest of the industry is in that respect but it's very much the bare minimum, etc) but Ghibli is kinda... bad. Miyazaki is not a good person and Ghibli is an incredibly high-pressure place to work.

Miyazaki and Takahata, plus the other Ghibli founders, started out as rabblerousers at toei who got into trouble for trying to start unions and stuff, but when they formed Ghibi, their needs for perfection led to them placing impossible amounts of pressure on anyone who dared to take a leading role at the company. Hosoda talked about his negative experiences as the prospective director of Howl's Moving Castle, obviously we have the case with Kondou, and Miyazaki even treated his own son like absolute poo poo.

quote:

An hour into Tales from Earthsea, Miyazaki bolted from the theater to have a cigarette, saying, “It feels like I was sitting there for about three hours.”

Then, he paused and said, “It’s good that he made one movie. With that, he should stop [making movies].”

It's not a healthy environment, even if on paper it has more protections than some studios.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its a really loving bad movie though

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's awful to say but god is that a funny quote

and yeah One Piece Movie 6 is good and something I saw before actually reading One Piece. Hisoda's great, It's a bit overtly darker than One Piece gets but if you like it like, you'll probably like One Piece

lmao at the villian being Miyazaki I need to rewatch it knowing that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I thought Hosoda said Omatsuri was based on someone senior at Ghibli who wasn’t Miyazaki? I guess that makes Takahata a prime suspect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought Hosoda said Omatsuri was based on someone senior at Ghibli who wasn’t Miyazaki? I guess that makes Takahata a prime suspect.

The quote I saw said it was Miyazaki, but either way it's a takedown of Ghibli in general, which obviously includes Miyazaki. Hosoda obviously has some respect for him, but he also seems to feel like he's holding hte anime industry back, either in terms of his influence or in terms of public perception. Or both?

Davincie posted:

its a really loving bad movie though
It's bad but there are at least signs of life in it, in terms of direction. Considering how little experience Goro Miyazaki had before making it it could have been way worse than it was, and there are even a few decent bits. The movie was already made, you might as well used it as a springboard for improvement, especially since Goro went on to make things that people actually liked.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 14, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

The quote I saw said it was Miyazaki, but either way it's a takedown of Ghibli in general, which obviously includes Miyazaki. Hosoda obviously has some respect for him, but he also seems to feel like he's holding hte anime industry back, either in terms of his influence or in terms of public perception. Or both?

There's also the fact that the dude just won't loving retire and actively resisted any attempt to build a new generation of creators ate Ghibli.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Moved. Now I remember where it was supposed to go...

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 14, 2018

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Anime was a mistake.gif but replace anime with Ghibli.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

"Anime was a mistake" - Said Miyazaki, who was a mistake.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tales from Earthsea is an ambitious movie that doesn't pull off everything but like, attempts to adapt Tehanu, the most difficult of the Earthsea books. It's also by a guy who was coaxed into doing anime direction having only experience as an *architect*, while Hayao Miyazaki petulantly refused to offer any assistance or advice during the entire project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Fangz posted:

I hope conditions are better at Ponoc, anyway.
evidently because their movie is worse :smug:

but seriously i'm looking forward to modest heroes

• Locked thread