Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It wasn't a period of huge technological advancements, was it? I guess they had impressive aqueducts and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's quite a neat system; you have techs which aren't really individual major innovations but just some representation of gradual change in society and military tactics over the years, which are totally generic, and then the inventions which are larger, more unique and randomised so theoretically every playthrough will be different.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fellblade posted:

Tech is this weeks Imperator dev diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-12-13th-of-august-2018.1114608/

I like how characters and their loyalty are involved in everything so far.

it's a hybrid of stellaris's researchers and vicky 2's chosen tech/random invention system

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Phlegmish posted:

It wasn't a period of huge technological advancements, was it? I guess they had impressive aqueducts and stuff.
You'd be surprised.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I mean fundamental mathematical principles were discovered, alongside radical ideas like "knowing what medical symptoms someone has gives a guide to how they'll do in future without the need for entrails".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's Post-LeGuin patch Stellaris, on land!!!

In all seriousness, although I see no real issues with this tech mechanic, the thought of someone going "Eureka! I've invented a new way to make speeches EVEN MORE CONVINCING" makes me chuckle.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GrossMurpel posted:

That's almost exactly what Ultimate is.

Lies! GTA was developed in Great Old Bulgaria tag_bg_32 Scotland! How could this mod get history and the cultural legacy of my people so terribly wrong?

DrSunshine posted:

In all seriousness, although I see no real issues with this tech mechanic, the thought of someone going "Eureka! I've invented a new way to make speeches EVEN MORE CONVINCING" makes me chuckle.

Invention discovered: I Know You Are But What Am I?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
all EU4 DLCs except the most recent one are 75% off now: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-all/

It's been forever since they've been this low (I think I haven't seen lower than 50% in more than a year, even) so if anyone's been holding out for a price drop, now is the time.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Reveilled posted:

Lies! GTA was developed in Great Old Bulgaria tag_bg_32 Scotland! How could this mod get history and the cultural legacy of my people so terribly wrong?

I regret knowing this, but GTA is an invention that can be discovered in any country, like the ideologies in vanilla.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

That's almost exactly what Ultimate is.

I like the squished image stolen from GIS they used for the article. You can tell they spent a lot of time on this.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dharma is out 6 September so we'll get that narrow window to play EU4 between the release of the latest update and the announcement of more updates.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

It's Post-LeGuin patch Stellaris, on land!!!

Scientists in our country have invented:

RHETORIC OF HATE

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Cease to Hope posted:

Scientists in our country have invented:

RHETORIC OF HATE

Oh boy I can't wait for our engineers to invent Political Lobbying.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

They made a lot of technological improvements but they didn't really do "science" the way we think of it. It was all engineering - they'd take some existing invention and tweak it to make it better, or combine two known principles into a new thing to solve a particular problem. They never did theory and experimentation to discover new fundamental principles and try to find ways to apply them after the fact.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

Oh boy I can't wait for our engineers to invent Political Lobbying.

I don't know, I can't wait for them to invent WHATABOUTISM.

Though in the base game you can invent terrorism, I don't even know how that scientist tried to sell that idea to anyone.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I remember someone made a tech tree extension mod for darkest hour that went all the way to the mid 2000s. There was a tech in the computer tree that would end the game when researched cause itd fire an event where the in-game people made hoi2.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am still not over the fact that they picked Rome instead of Victoria as next release. Doesn't help that Dharma looks so drat mediocre and comes with anti fun changes.
Maybe stop EU4 DLCs and put those people on Vicky 3.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tahirovic posted:

I am still not over the fact that they picked Rome instead of Victoria as next release. Doesn't help that Dharma looks so drat mediocre and comes with anti fun changes.
Maybe stop EU4 DLCs and put those people on Vicky 3.

The next CK2 DLC is the last one so they might very well end up doing that with the CK2 DLC team (after post-release patches get done anyway).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dharma looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to it more than any other DLC in a long time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

wasn't vic2 the last game they did before they began five solid years of cash cows? i can see why whoever makes the budget wouldn't be interested in revisiting it

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

no one has any good ideas for Vicky 3. don't @ me

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dharma looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to it more than any other DLC in a long time.

It makes me a bit miffed that CoC came out before the missions rework because the missions for most of the ME are pretty limited in scope, I'm hoping that they do some "enhanced missions for CoC owners" at some point, like they are doing for Novgorod with this patch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They will keep releasing DLC for EUIV until the heat death of the universe. By the year 3000, buying the entire catalogue will cost 500 trillion galactic credits

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

@ "Vivian Darkbloom" you're post stinks!!!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

They will keep releasing DLC for EUIV until the heat death of the universe. By the year 3000, buying the entire catalogue will cost 500 trillion galactic credits

EU4 is their sims 3. there will always be a sims 4.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tahirovic posted:

Doesn't help that Dharma looks so drat mediocre and comes with anti fun changes.

:confused:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
maybe they're mad about the nerf to tagswitching shenanigans?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

What have the Romans ever done for us?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvPbj9NX0zc

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Tag switching and more so the territory nerf are just dumb. The best part about the patch is that they finally changed Ming to only affect countries it actually has a border with.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The next CK2 DLC is the last one

Where did they say that? I've seen Doomdark state that CK II is getting bloated, but not that Holy Fury is the last.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

EightDeer posted:

Where did they say that? I've seen Doomdark state that CK II is getting bloated, but not that Holy Fury is the last.
He also said there will be 14 or 15 expansions and we are at 14th (HF will be 15th)
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-2-dd-14-the-road-ahead.957206/

With all these changes related to HF, it really seems like they are wrapping it up and adding detail to some remaining neglected regions/mechanics.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 14, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So if CK2’s dev cycle (theoretically) ends a year from now with Expansion 15, where do they shift their focus? It still feels too early for CK3, and they’re almost certainly already working on V3 as one of their couple of unannounced projects.

A new series? Fill in some of the historical gaps in their portfolio (Cold War/modern? Near-future? Something a little less “grand” strategy focusing on specific regions a la Romance of the Three Kingdoms?)

March of the Eagles 2? :o

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bronze Age Mesopotamian city-states game or maybe Egypt would be really cool. Or MotE II, that'd be nice. I'd ask for a Cold War game but I'm not really sure how well the cloak and dagger bullshit and insurgencies that really characterize the era would work with the traditional map game format.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

CK2's being run by a skeleton crew right now I think. They'll just put those people on other teams.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 14, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

CK2's being run by a skeleton right now I think. They'll just put those people on other teams.

lol don't edit this post the mental image is great

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It's okay. You have immortalised it in your quote.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Victoria 2 but all the lovely parts taken out

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Communist Walrus posted:

Victoria 2 but all the lovely parts taken out

That's pretty much all of it though.

I mean i'd play a vicky 3 that was a good game but people who like vicky 2 aren't looking for good games, just more dumb black boxes.

Now i'm going to be regaled about how black boxes are actually great game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

Bronze Age Mesopotamian city-states game or maybe Egypt would be really cool.
Probably some future expansion for I:R.