Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My mom insists that The Heat was good, but one of our major disagreements is about how I hate Sandra Bullock, so.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

21 Muns posted:

Bit of a sidetrack, here, but I rewatched WFRR recently and... it sure didn't seem to me that this was the case. I loved WFRR as a kid, but I'm pretty sure that it was mostly for the spectacle, and that I had only a tenuous grasp of what was going on. WFRR doesn't just have jokes for the adults, it has major plot points for the adults. If you only have a kid-level understanding of the world, you're missing huge parts of the movie. I know that a lot of kids watched it back when it came out, and that it wouldn't have been profitable if they hadn't. But I would still be hard-pressed to call it "aimed at kids", or call its sexual and historical elements "jokes included as bonuses to adults" - y'know, as if they were comparable to the Genie's impressions of obscure old celebrities or to Shrek cracking innuendos that could ambiguously refer to penis size.

This. I don't think a movie heavily steeped in film noir tropes (including murder, a femme fatale, cartoon infidelity, and a missing will) and a plot that is basically Chinatown by way of the General Motors streetcar conspiracy legend can be said to be "for kids". Compare Rango which also had some of those dark elements and adult geared shoutouts (and a plot that is revealed to be essentially Chinatown) yet didn't go nearly as far.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 13, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

My mom insists that The Heat was good, but one of our major disagreements is about how I hate Sandra Bullock, so.....

Should just watch Heat instead

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Should just watch Heat instead
Probably. Make it a double feature with Mars Attacks since they came out within a year of each other and both have great ensemble casts with a young Natalie Portman starring.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

This. I don't think a movie heavily steeped in film noir tropes (including murder, a femme fatale, cartoon infidelity, and a missing will) and a plot that is basically Chinatown by way of the General Motors streetcar conspiracy legend can be said to be "for kids". Compare Rango which also had some of those dark elements and adult geared shoutouts (and a plot that is revealed to be essentially Chinatown) yet didn't go nearly as far.

I certainly didn't understand what the "patty cake" scene meant when I was a kid

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I certainly didn't understand what the "patty cake" scene meant when I was a kid

There is a lot in Roger Rabbit that's utterly horrifying to me when I remember that I watched it as a five-year-old. The "patty cake" thing, obviously, Eddie being a raging alcoholic, the execution of toons, much of Benny's dialogue ... etc.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Nergigante posted:

And, just to be clear, this isn't a quick joke or anything: it's critical to the inciting incident of the film.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

You monster

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

21 Muns posted:

And, just to be clear, this isn't a quick joke or anything: it's critical to the inciting incident of the film.

Yeah it's literally Roger's motive for being the chief suspect in Acme's murder and it's a joke about his cartoon wife loving another dude

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

AceOfFlames posted:

It honestly is pretty cool it got made and adults are definitely the target audience.

I do think though that there is enough cartoon antics though, for kids to get it. And kids aren't dumb and while I didn't get the subtleties, it's a base enough story to follow. Throw in the fact that this was one of the first times that Disney and Warner crossed over and there was enough spectacle for me to love it (although I didn't love it as much as my stepdad).

(also Noir is often an element parodied in screwball kids cartoons, from like classic Daffy Duck to Teen Titans, they all occasionally do Noirish episodes).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, fair enough - it was one of my favourite movies ever when I was a kid so I've always thought of it as a kids' movie. :v:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
At one point in the script writing process, Judge Doom was going to be revealed as the hunter that shot Bambi's mom.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/enews/status/1029046516885975041

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The best noir parody is The Big Lebowski

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
At this point I feel like there’s something disturbing about being repackaged nostalgia and sold in a new wrapper both from a creative/manufacturing standpoint and from the consumer standpoint.

Like all you wanna do is to exist in a moment of time rehashing the same poo poo you experienced to recapture some, what, lost feeling versus tread new ground? You want to exist in that comforting moment of time all the time?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gatts posted:

At this point I feel like there’s something disturbing about being repackaged nostalgia and sold in a new wrapper both from a creative/manufacturing standpoint and from the consumer standpoint.

Like all you wanna do is to exist in a moment of time rehashing the same poo poo you experienced to recapture some, what, lost feeling versus tread new ground? You want to exist in that comforting moment of time all the time?

It's really bad. But then again the world is hopeless and there is no real reason to live in it, not really, so I get blanketing yourself in memories of simpler time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/1028367700941303808

This whole thread is great but my fav is the noir fedora guy smoking squeaking out "i'm john galt =>"

this is my fav

https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/1028383145291202560

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Gatts posted:

Counterpoint, if it's a good story, why not explore the material in other mediums?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

At what point do audiences get tired of these soulless recreations? I'm sure Yifei Liu will do as good a job as she can, but I find these movies exhausting.

This is cute.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 13, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sucrose posted:

Counterpoint, if it's a good story, why not explore the material in other mediums?

A remake like the recent Robocop makes more sense to me because it brought a different view, angle, and presented something separate enough from the original source than telling the same story almost exactly the same way but with live people instead.

I get what you mean though. Like having a movie and then exploring it through a video game and expanding on it would be cool but we don't get that yet. Closest we get is novels to movies but novels allow for more exploration unless someone has the guts to make a great film, and then it'll be poo poo on by fans.

EDIT: I think novels and comic books have had their potential as a medium explored more thoroughly than movies, animation, or games. And I think there's potential in games to be the greatest medium but can require a lot of investment to explore. Each has their own thing, but games brings it all with personal input.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 13, 2018

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gatts posted:

I get what you mean though. Like having a movie and then exploring it through a video game and expanding on it would be cool but we don't get that yet. Closest we get is novels to movies but novels allow for more exploration unless someone has the guts to make a great film, and then it'll be poo poo on by fans.

Whatever your opinion on their quality, The Marvel movies are way different than the comics, but comics fans tend to love the hell out of them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As I recall, the film adaptation of L.A. Confidential is quite different from the novel (the whole Rolo Tomassi subplot was invented by Brian Helgeland and Curtis Hanson for example) and it's great.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I recall, the film adaptation of L.A. Confidential is quite different from the novel (the whole Rolo Tomassi subplot was invented by Brian Helgeland and Curtis Hanson for example) and it's great.
I got so horribly depressed by the book that I couldn't finish it. The movie is so much better.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

galagazombie posted:

Whatever your opinion on their quality, The Marvel movies are way different than the comics, but comics fans tend to love the hell out of them.

Comics, at least, have different "runs" or releases of a character or group of characters that can have wildly different themes and portrayals, so an adaptation into film doesn't usually feel to different from that. You've got a dozen different versions Superman and a dozen more of Batman just in the comics, some or all of whom exist simultaneously, so a movie version is just one more for the pile.

Generally with a novel, there's pretty much just the one definitive example.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

At what point do audiences get tired of these soulless recreations? I'm sure Yifei Liu will do as good a job as she can, but I find these movies exhausting.

The news stories I've seen about this are all slightly terrifying in the unity of their tone. This is apparently bad rear end, empowering, awesome, important and a really really big deal in cinema history. Now I know that the attention grabbing exaggerated headline is a thing but holy poo poo it's one promo picture people. It's great that they're moving towards better representation but the PR machine for these films is pretty much self perpetuating at this point.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I just hope to see some sweet sword fights.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

J33uk posted:

The news stories I've seen about this are all slightly terrifying in the unity of their tone. This is apparently bad rear end, empowering, awesome, important and a really really big deal in cinema history. Now I know that the attention grabbing exaggerated headline is a thing but holy poo poo it's one promo picture people. It's great that they're moving towards better representation but the PR machine for these films is pretty much self perpetuating at this point.

The hate clicks they get are just as valuable as sincere ones. If people spent as much time actually watching and discussing actual new and unique films as they did complaining about how mindless and creatively bankrupt blockbusters (which they still totally follow every step of development and then go see anyways) are year in and year out it would do way more good than the cinematic equivalent of calling Donald Trump "Drumpf".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Timby posted:

The Happytime Murders looks absolutely, unbelievably terrible and I have no idea what the gently caress Brian Henson is doing with it.

I'm still glad it's there and I hope my moviepass holds til then

If it bombs let's not act like it'd be the first Henson joint to do so

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Timby posted:

The Happytime Murders looks absolutely, unbelievably terrible and I have no idea what the gently caress Brian Henson is doing with it.

It looks like the most infuriating kind of bad, which is where there is a genuinely good premise there, but nobody producing it seems to be up to the challenge of maximizing its potential.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fart City posted:

It looks like the most infuriating kind of bad, which is where there is a genuinely good premise there, but nobody producing it seems to be up to the challenge of maximizing its potential.

I kind of wonder what the movie could have been if it had been something in the "cop investigates a community as an outsider" genre like Witness (the Amish), Cruising ('70s-'80s gay underground), A Stranger Among Us (Hasidic Jews), or Black Rain (Japan). Have the lead just play it as a straight cop thriller along those lines, but surround them with goofy Muppet poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Young Freud posted:

I kind of wonder what the movie could have been if it had been something in the "cop investigates a community as an outsider" genre like Witness (the Amish), Cruising ('70s-'80s gay underground), A Stranger Among Us (Hasidic Jews), or Black Rain (Japan). Have the lead just play it as a straight cop thriller along those lines, but surround them with goofy Muppet poo poo.

Wasn’t this pretty much the original pitch, back before McCarthy was involved?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

J33uk posted:

It's neat but Liu Yifei looks just like she does in every other movie I've seen her in, except this time she probably won't be a fox spirit unless they really change things

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 14, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn’t this pretty much the original pitch, back before McCarthy was involved?

ppl say that but i don't know if the writer's trackrecord is so strong/different to think they radically changed it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"representation" is such an interesting word to use specifically when discussing Chinese actors, given that China is one of the most powerful forces that drives a film's box office gross

e: in response to

J33uk posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember there being cynicism and general leeriness towards Chinese-targeted cinema, basically seeing it as one step forward, two steps back, as China's government won't allow explicit pro-LBGT themes, among other things.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember there being cynicism and general leeriness towards Chinese-targeted cinema, basically seeing it as one step forward, two steps back, as China's government won't allow explicit pro-LBGT themes, among other things.
There was some blow up in the thread last year I think where somebody accused other posters of racism for pointing out elements that were probably explicitly included to appeal to Chinese audiences.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The other aspect about the representation debate is that it's about (in this case) Chinese - Americans getting recognised as part of US culture, by having this huge US cultural institution (Disney) make a story about Chinese people. It is that recognition and acknowledgment that is the significant aspect here, not so much the fact that there's already a big cinema industry within China making films about chinese people.

It's the same issue that showed up in the Ghost in the Shell adaption, where when Japanese people in Japan ( including the creator of GITS) were asked about representation and not casting a Japanese actress as the lead, a lot of them didn't really mind. A major part of the representation issue is that western media often excludes and ignores the various minority populations within western countries. It's that neglect/sidelining that is often as much of an issue as the other issue, which is that some minority groups (native American peoples for example) have barely any media representation of any kind.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Maybe US vice president will cash in on a chance to get back into movie blogging

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Red Bones posted:

The other aspect about the representation debate is that it's about (in this case) Chinese - Americans getting recognised as part of US culture, by having this huge US cultural institution (Disney) make a story about Chinese people. It is that recognition and acknowledgment that is the significant aspect here, not so much the fact that there's already a big cinema industry within China making films about chinese people.

"This big ruthless company made a movie with some people that look like me to sell more of their cheap plastic stuff made by underpaid people looking like me!" is a pretty hosed up standard for recognition and acknowledgement though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Decius posted:

"This big ruthless company made a movie with some people that look like me to sell more of their cheap plastic stuff made by underpaid people looking like me!" is a pretty hosed up standard for recognition and acknowledgement though.

I'm just presenting the arguments as I understand them, honestly, it's not an issue I'm personally involved in so I can't really comment on whether this kind of representation is 'worthwhile' or not. I'm sure there are some people within those minority communities who don''t care, and some who do, and some who acknowledge that Disney is pretty hosed up as a company but the increase in acceptance for minority groups is worth the trade-off. Being recognised by any individual company is not so important as a change in how the underlying culture of a society conceptualises the group seeking better representation; being depicted in media produced by companies is just one avenue through which this societal change comes about.

I have friends here in Europe who are or are the children of immigrants from other parts of the world, and one of the things that they mention is that things like who is modelling the clothes in the window of a clothing shop, or what kind of faces appear in adverts on TV, all build up a cultural image of what "people within this society" look and act like. So living in that society and not being included in that depiction is an isolating experience, even though it's often adverts from unethical companies. You grow up in a society, you are on some level part of that society, but the image that society creates of its members does not include you.