Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
To crap with that. I want a 3d printer that prints 4d printers that print pizzas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I regret asking anything you nutcases.

it's 3D printers all the way down

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To crap with that. I want a 3d printer that prints 4d printers that print pizzas.

If there were ever going to be 4D pizza printers I would have a pizza right now

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Why wait for it to print and just have it splort pizza molecules into your mouth ?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Partycat posted:

Why wait for it to print and just have it splort pizza molecules into your mouth ?

Need to whip up lunch in a hurry? Huff the pizza media straight from the canister

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

madmatt112 posted:

I regret asking anything you nutcases.

it's 3D printers all the way down

Gotta make a 3d printer print a 2d printer and make it print a 1d printer and make it print a.... Well you get the gist I'm explaining everything to you uhg!

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

They're not looking for honest answers, they're looking for people smart enough to answer them correctly.

I scored the lowest in my company for moral aptitude on a site entry test because I figured the giant multinational company would have a decent algorithm for detecting people who were just lying about everything to get the job. I had to retake it and just answered like a nerd robot, even to poo poo like 'I have never taken anything home from a place of work, even just a pencil' and scored the highest the company ever had. Lol, nothing matters.

They're looking for stupid, terminally honest people with no imagination or devious shitheads who're smart enough to tick all the boxes so they can avoid tripping insurance.

I used to think the same way. Nope, they just don't care.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's even better than that. I did some backend dev work for the hiring department of a (huge) company a few years ago, and they believe that the tests are real. I was supposed to take the output of the test's API and have it do whatever based on results, and when it came time to test the system, the department's manager was horrified during the live demo when I asked if I should pass or fail the test. "That can't be cheated!"

Also, if you're bored and don't like the companies, take as many of those tests as you can. They're licensed from a third party and there's a per-applicant cost to taking it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

it depends on the design of the nuke. the hard part of nuclear bombs is getting enough fissile material, not the actual bomb making. you can make a nuke with two chunks of uranium 235 and a spring to slam them togeather. it doesn't need to be a complicated implosion

Springs wouldn't do the trick, it would fizzle because as they got closer enough fission would occur to ruin the geometry. You need them moving towards each other at least at supersonic speeds and even then it's suboptimal. This is why everyone since the US has jumped straight to plutonium-implosion - it's complex, certainly, but it's nothing compared to the complexity of getting the material itself.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Springs wouldn't do the trick, it would fizzle because as they got closer enough fission would occur to ruin the geometry. You need them moving towards each other at least at supersonic speeds and even then it's suboptimal. This is why everyone since the US has jumped straight to plutonium-implosion - it's complex, certainly, but it's nothing compared to the complexity of getting the material itself.

This is what I was driving at with my earlier post, the mechanics of fission are hard and the mechanics of getting it to happen in such a way as to generate a nuclear blast are even harder still. A big part of the issue is that the interaction cross section for fission is not fixed but varies considerably based on the energy of both the incident neutrons and the target material.

For example, the fission cross section for fast neutrons impinging upon a fissile material is a lot smaller than for "thermal" neutrons, which seems counter intuitive as the fast neutrons have more energy and people generally assume that this carries a correspondingly increased likelihood of a fission event. This is partially why reactor cores are submerged, it isn't just to absorb neutrons to prevent them from irradiating everyone nearby, it's also to actively slow the fast neutrons emitted in a fission event and thus greatly increase the probability that they initiate another fission event (you do get additional thermal neutrons as well although they're a secondary effect caused by decay from daughter nuclei). You need on average about 2 and a bit more fission events to occur as the result of each initial event in order to get a sustainable chain reaction, and the precise control of that is what makes reactor geometry design such a total crapshoot. Now try getting that to happen at the rate required for a nuclear blast, under less favourable conditions at a range of temperatures and humidities and god knows what else and you'll understand why the Manhattan project needed so many scientists.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Okay cool but when exactly can I 3d print a pizza

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

Okay cool but when exactly can I 3d print a pizza

Its all about continuous pizza extrusion these days. CPE is the future of food.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Isn't that a Calzone?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Listen, “future”, forget the flying cars: call me back when I can buttchug a calzone.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1028799412418621440

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls
How about a 4D printer that prints pngs of capitalism?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Make some noise y'all!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i hope amazon sets up shop

in a grave!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Pirate Radar posted:

Listen, “future”, forget the flying cars: call me back when I can buttchug a calzone.

good news: the future is here! blend that baby up!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sentient Data posted:

It's even better than that. I did some backend dev work for the hiring department of a (huge) company a few years ago, and they believe that the tests are real. I was supposed to take the output of the test's API and have it do whatever based on results, and when it came time to test the system, the department's manager was horrified during the live demo when I asked if I should pass or fail the test. "That can't be cheated!"

Also, if you're bored and don't like the companies, take as many of those tests as you can. They're licensed from a third party and there's a per-applicant cost to taking it

I refuse to believe the management of a company that has more than one manager could be this painfully, stupidly naive. Sorry but you have to be lying about that.

Tell them you know a guy who wants to sell the a bridge, urgent sale with a massive discount. I'll even take their test to prove I'm not a shamster.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Outrail posted:

I refuse to believe the management of a company that has more than one manager could be this painfully, stupidly naive. Sorry but you have to be lying about that.

Tell them you know a guy who wants to sell the a bridge, urgent sale with a massive discount. I'll even take their test to prove I'm not a shamster.

I imagine that the tests are there to catch people who both give the "untrustworthy" answers and are too stupid to figure out that they should just lie and say what the company wants to hear.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
When my company did mandatory personality tests I didn't do it and then lied about the results and it saved me a lot of time. They went around the room in multiple meetings asking about your "personality color" and how that was informing a decision you were making. I just told them my color was red, and as an A-type high energy extrovert I could feel it in my gut that my choices were right.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

Have you like, never worked in an office before? There are tons of people who take everything at face value and can't even conceive of a world where people wouldn't love to find out their personality type and how that means they'll be happy and enthusiastic and successful in their shelf-stocking job or w/e. I don't know where they come from but I've definitely met plenty of people that are that bizarrely isolated from reality.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

It's 2018 and horoscopes are still very popular. People are loving stupid and believe what they want.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ate all the Oreos posted:

Have you like, never worked in an office before? There are tons of people who take everything at face value and can't even conceive of a world where people wouldn't love to find out their personality type and how that means they'll be happy and enthusiastic and successful in their shelf-stocking job or w/e. I don't know where they come from but I've definitely met plenty of people that are that bizarrely isolated from reality.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's 2018 and horoscopes are still very popular. People are loving stupid and believe what they want.

These are people who rise to the top. And they believe poo poo like this. As manager their number one skill should be managing things, that means the people working under them? Doom. Doom!

If you want to see companies turning people into drones look at the modern mining industry (especially oil and gas). They've managed to turn high danger roughnecks who'll happily blow entire refineries up because they wanted a cigarette into brain dead drones who mindlessly follow the hundred and one sub point protocols. I mean it's undoubtedly saving lives, but you look at their dead dumb eyes and can't help but feel something important has been stripped away.

Here's a capitalism.txt: I heard from a guy who quit because he was so disgusted about a minesite fatality and how the corpse sat inside equipment in a pond for two or three loving days while busload after busload of the dead guy's coworkers dove back and forth in plain view of the watery grave. They didn't halt production to show the dead some loving decency because it'd cut into production.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

These are people who rise to the top. And they believe poo poo like this. As manager their number one skill should be managing things, that means the people working under them? Doom. Doom!

If you want to see companies turning people into drones look at the modern mining industry (especially oil and gas). They've managed to turn high danger roughnecks who'll happily blow entire refineries up because they wanted a cigarette into brain dead drones who mindlessly follow the hundred and one sub point protocols. I mean it's undoubtedly saving lives, but you look at their dead dumb eyes and can't help but feel something important has been stripped away.

Checklists are cool and good actually and your romanticism of life pre-OSHA or w/e is kinda hosed up. Like if the companies had their way the workers would be mostly untrained with barely any safety gear, constantly ordered to ignore crucial safety steps or throw out entire procedures to meet impossible quotas, and given only enough equipment to make sure the oil platform itself isn't destroyed (since those things are expensive!)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I strongly agree, revolution comes in fifteen years and then I get to be a struggle sessions cordinator.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Efficiency was the reason for using implosion over gun-type devices, but plutonium was chosen over uranium for the implosion designs because the primaries of H-bombs could be made smaller and cheaper.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ate all the Oreos posted:

Checklists are cool and good actually and your romanticism of life pre-OSHA or w/e is kinda hosed up. Like if the companies had their way the workers would be mostly untrained with barely any safety gear, constantly ordered to ignore crucial safety steps or throw out entire procedures to meet impossible quotas, and given only enough equipment to make sure the oil platform itself isn't destroyed (since those things are expensive!)

No I said it's saving lives, and it's important they do that. But when I got into the industry 10 years ago it was fun to do my job. Now it's not and even if the changes were necessary they did take something away even if it was a necessary cost. I can do some Romanticism of the past without denying that the past was also pretty lovely.

Besides that, if the workers had their way they'd be barely trained using gently caress all safety gear. The companies instituted 90% of the changes because they realized getting sued millions of dollars wasn't worth it. Most of the training and protocols are implemented purely to make the loving idiots wear their fall restraint harnesses instead of running around 10m drops with no fall protection and to get numbskulls to wear a helmet around potential falling rocks. But now the blanket approach means I have to wear a hard hat in 45C degree (115F) weather when I'm several kilometers from anything more dangerous than a knee high bush.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sentient Data posted:

It's on the same level of companies deciding that the way to get good programmers is to ask stupid puzzle questions that have exactly nothing to do with programming. A depressing number of managers want to believe that you can filter bad employees out and good employees in with 30 questions or stupid personality test. It turns out these tests benefit the interviewee the most if they lie their faces off. So the kind of person who is likely to be a lovely employee and a thief is more likely to have the best score as they tell you what you want to hear.

There are also people in the huge corporate machine that genuinely believe they can increase company profits by only hiring people of such strong moral fiber that they won't even take a pen from work. Let's be honest here though; who among us hasn't taken a pen home from work even if it wasn't intentional? They're basically chasing perfect robots instead of people as employees. It's bonkers. Absolutely bonkers.

It reminds me of that one Dave Chapelle moment where he talks about job interviews. "Why do you want to work for us? Well you know I've always had a passion for frozen yogurt...I'm loving broke, that's why." You aren't going to find a lot of people with a deep, burning passion for stocking shelves that would do it for free if that were legal.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Managerspeak like that is creeping its way into international institutions as well. Have a look at the entrance tests for the European Commission, for example; administrative aides and bureaucrats have to first do a bunch of personality tests (basically pick whichever option you think is the one that bothers your superior the least) and abstract puzzles before they get a shot at being hired or appointed. I guess it's better than the alternative where appointments are political in nature or based around nepotism and cronyism, but surely there must be a better way to judge the merit and competence of a civil servant than abstract reasoning tests?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Deltasquid posted:

Managerspeak like that is creeping its way into international institutions as well. Have a look at the entrance tests for the European Commission, for example; administrative aides and bureaucrats have to first do a bunch of personality tests (basically pick whichever option you think is the one that bothers your superior the least) and abstract puzzles before they get a shot at being hired or appointed. I guess it's better than the alternative where appointments are political in nature or based around nepotism and cronyism, but surely there must be a better way to judge the merit and competence of a civil servant than abstract reasoning tests?

There are, but that would require the people doing the hiring have some level of smarts and/or willingness to stick their necks out. Instead you can blame whatever lovely tests you bought in when you hire a dunce.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I worked for a company that had this number matching test during the interview like

Which of these matches 2948327
A) 273674 B) 2190101 C)2948327

Years later I was at the office where they did the hiring and I asked what they actually do with those tests. The answer was nothing. They do nothing and go nowhere.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Isaac posted:

I worked for a company that had this number matching test during the interview like

Which of these matches 2948327
A) 273674 B) 2190101 C)2948327

Years later I was at the office where they did the hiring and I asked what they actually do with those tests. The answer was nothing. They do nothing and go nowhere.

C)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hire this man immediately

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

from the cursed images thread

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I hope he starves

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

I hope he starves

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Is he pictured there in front of his two cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I found out yesterday that my site manager is of the opinion that we shouldn't focus on the good people do only the bad. Because by focusing on the bad we make stronger employees.

Everything about my toxic work environment fell into place after hearing that.