Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
walmart literally had to disclose to stockholders that cuts to welfare were going to be material to their income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wal-mart has never been healthy again since the '08 crisis

their core audiences are poorer than ever, and there's nowhere left to expand to

if recruiter traffic is any indication they're dumping tons of money into their web store which I believe has like 0.5% market share in the us

e: 3.7% market share

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

when walmart started talking about putting drone bases in the parking lot you could tell they were desperate

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

if recruiter traffic is any indication they're dumping tons of money into their web store which I believe has like 0.5% market share in the us

e: 3.7% market share

also if tv commercials are any indication

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's still weird to me how traditional national retailers got caught so flat footed since they already had massive logistics systems for distribution but then I remember how they were all afraid selling online would hurt their physical locations so they just ended up letting amazon hurt their physical locations instead

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember when walmart tried to pay some of its customers to deliver online purchases to other customers

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

qirex posted:

it's still weird to me how traditional national retailers got caught so flat footed since they already had massive logistics systems for distribution but then I remember how they were all afraid selling online would hurt their physical locations so they just ended up letting amazon hurt their physical locations instead

the whole sears catalog amazon thing is a perfect example of their myopia

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
remember when they tried to get their employees to make charity donations to their other employees

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah they could have had an intern write a cgi gateway to their catalog ordering system and been like a decade ahead of amazon

iirc you could "shop" at sears [like 10 items] on compuserve or aol in like 1995

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

remember when Walmart bought Jet for $3b?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

yeah they could have had an intern write a cgi gateway to their catalog ordering system and been like a decade ahead of amazon

more than a decade ahead

sears was dominant in several fields, not just books. and they were one of the world's largest credit card companies.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

iirc you could "shop" at sears [like 10 items] on compuserve or aol in like 1995
sears was one of the primary forces (and financial backers) behind the 1980s Prodigy dialup network system

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

i don't think anyone got caught flat-footed except the bookstores, who could not compete on price

it's more that all low-end retail is drying up and blowing away, because the working class has been broke as gently caress for ten years

it's not just sears hurting
  • kmart
  • payless shoes
  • wal-mart
  • jc penney

everything associated with the american "middle class" (read: working class families) has been smarting

no amount of "online" anything will rescue a retailer from a lack of customers with money in their pockets

amazon isn't competing with wal-mart to get SNAP and EBT dollars

--

conversely, the old retailers who sell to customers in the upper quintile are mostly doing ok, if not particularly well. amazon isn't destroying them

• macy's / federated
  • best buy
  • nordstrom
  • hudson bay company

their customers have money in their pockets. they have to compete with amazon, and they can do that.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ten years from now there will be nothing in between the dollar store / rainbow, and bloomie's / barney's.

the middle is hollow

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

famous "useless junk for rich idiots" store gump's is probably going to file for bankruptcy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
igloo australiasomeone else, apparently spilling all the secrets lol
https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1029055527882551297

https://twitter.com/sadhoeflo/status/1028869317213880320

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 13, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

remember when walmart tried to pay some of its customers to deliver online purchases to other customers

remember when all those terminally white posh idiots were outraged, outraged when they ordered a thing from amazon only to have a drop-shipped wal-mart box show up, i mean what would the neighbors think!!!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

are you confusing iggy azealia and azealia banks

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

They do that for Walmart, where like yeah you buy a pair of Levi's 501 jeans at Walmart they're going to be thinner and have shittier stitching than Levi's 501s you buy at the Levi's store.

If you buy jeans at Dollar General, they are not going to be Levi's at all

these aren't 501s, they're 50...2s

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think anyone got caught flat-footed except the bookstores, who could not compete on price

it's more that all low-end retail is drying up and blowing away, because the working class has been broke as gently caress for ten years

• kmart
  • payless shoes
  • wal-mart
  • jc penney

everything associated with the american "middle class" (read: working class families) has been smarting

no amount of "online" anything will rescue a retailer from a lack of customers with money in their pockets

--

conversely, the old retailers who sell to customers in the upper quintile are mostly doing ok, if not particularly well. amazon isn't destroying them

• macy's / federated
  • best buy
  • nordstrom
  • hudson bay company

their customers have money in their pockets. they have to compete with amazon, and they can do that.

the company i work for makes and sells poo poo to stores and this is pretty much it, nicer department stores are going all-in on ridiculous projects to give each sales associate an ipad so they can track all your movements through the store and record them forever help you find whatever you want wherever it is and then be able to accept payment right there in the middle of the store instead of having to find a register, all to make your posh upper-middle-class life more comfortable, while pretty much every other kind of store not aimed at that demographic is contracting and cutting as much ballast from their contracts as they can.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• kmart
  • payless shoes
  • wal-mart
  • jc penney

--

• macy's / federated
  • best buy
  • nordstrom
  • hudson bay company

i don't know if it's universal but the property bubble is murdering small/independent retail in british cities too. commercial rents are rising almost as quickly as residential ones (despite there being literally no shortage of space) and because commercial rates (local business taxes) aren't capped in the way council tax (local residential tax) are, cash-strapped local authorities are squeezing every last penny out of them.

it's particularly marked with pubs, who have multiple pressures on them. their market is shrinking with the death of community - people are grabbing booze and rushing home with it rather than going out. supermarkets being able to considerably undercut them doesn't help that either. at the same time their rents and rates are rising, arrivistes are getting any kind of activity other than sitting quietly in the dark banned, and many of the good ones are in buildings easily converted to housing and owned by predatory companies who set their rents and licensing fees at a level high enough to "compensate" them for not just turning them into flats. twenty years ago the bit of london i live in had over fifty pubs serving a population of around 70,000. Now it has 7 serving 100,000 people, and those ones are hanging on by their fingernails.

e: ironically it's the higher-price retailers that are going out of business in the uk - although that's maybe because they tend to have the largest and most expensive retail spaces so are more vulnerable to the cheaper ones which tend to be in smaller, more out-of-the-way places.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

holy poo poo they were legit trying for a threesome

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

the article is about how theyre moving out from burned over ghettos and into small towns and outer ring suburbs,

So they moved from burned over ghettos to burned over ghettos, only this time without the hope of becoming a hipster hotspot that becomes viable again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

eschaton posted:

holy poo poo they were legit trying for a threesome

<musk accent> Checklate and vanilla swaaarl!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

:whitewater:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i don't know if it's universal but the property bubble is murdering small/independent retail in british cities too. commercial rents are rising almost as quickly as residential ones (despite there being literally no shortage of space) and because commercial rates (local business taxes) aren't capped in the way council tax (local residential tax) are, cash-strapped local authorities are squeezing every last penny out of them.

no kind of property rental is capped reliably anywhere in the united states, so everyone gets squeezed

when a bubble happens there are mass property transfers and semi-abandoned property everywhere. this is worse for commercial property, because commercial leases are ordinarily long-term. a landlord will take a (perceived) hit on a 1 year lease for residential property, but nobody wants to sign a down-contract for 5 or 15 or 25 years

the most expensive retail districts in the united states, manhattan soho and manhattan's 5th avenue, are riding around 50% empty

walking through soho it feels as if there are more empty units than full -- it's possible vacancies are under-estimated

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: ironically it's the higher-price retailers that are going out of business in the uk - although that's maybe because they tend to have the largest and most expensive retail spaces so are more vulnerable to the cheaper ones which tend to be in smaller, more out-of-the-way places.

the u.k.'s retail market is healthier than the u.s. -- there's like 1/10th as much retail square footage per capita

and income inequality is much lower -- low-end stores still have a market

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

What, the way sears had a perfectly well working online store since the time Amazon just sold books and cds?

There was some minor gap between the ending of the last private online service catalog from Sears and web sears ordering coming up for service, but that's rather irrelevant. Because the sears online ordering was ready to go when Amazon still just sold media that was cheap to ship and certainly wasn't offering power tools and major appliances.

Sears is dead because of picking a cartoon libertarian as primary owner and executive, not because of a mythical lack of online presence before Clinton left office.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

just think of the costume he had in mind

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

Sears is dead because of picking a cartoon libertarian as primary owner and executive, not because of a mythical lack of online presence before Clinton left office.

the cartoon libertarian with a cigar, eddie lampert, was a major shareholder and the chairman of the board at kmart

he arranged for kmart to purchase the smoking ruins of sears

no one at sears chose lampert

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
sears was dead for years before being bought out by the craziest man in retail

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just think of the costume he had in mind

if it involved him donning a flaming tire then I’m in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

https://twitter.com/wrongcaptions/status/1029139415568764929

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
NBSD has this one exactly right. Retail isn't contracting because of Amazon or any other online nonsense. It's contracting because a huge demographic of people it depended on functionally ceased to exist overnight.

The idea that brick and mortar can't possibly stand up to the mighty internet retailers is a myth bezos wants you to believe so he can feel good about himself.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the most expensive retail districts in the united states, manhattan soho and manhattan's 5th avenue, are riding around 50% empty

walking through soho it feels as if there are more empty units than full -- it's possible vacancies are under-estimated

this sorta poo poo really fucks with my head and makes me wonder what the hell the end game is going to be.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yeah 3 million retail jobs are gonna disappear over the next 5 years but what about those 20k w virginia coal miners? eh, eh?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

this sorta poo poo really fucks with my head and makes me wonder what the hell the end game is going to be.

for manhattan it's all going to be underwater in either the financial sense or the physical sense in 20 years anyway.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SO DEMANDING posted:

eventually there is a real estate crash, and all those landlords holding out for that perfect retail bank tenant will crawl over each other to offer concessions

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SO DEMANDING posted:

serfdom

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the cartoon libertarian with a cigar, eddie lampert, was a major shareholder and the chairman of the board at kmart

he arranged for kmart to purchase the smoking ruins of sears

no one at sears chose lampert

sears was not smoking ruins in 2004 lol. it was performing mediocre and up to dumb tricks like "let's halfass doing grocery maybe" but unlike kmart it hadn't gone into bankruptcy then done a bunch of shady financial tricks to pump stock price and look profitable on paper under fast eddy

strap zombie kmart onto it and put eddy in charge and it becomes a smoking ruin quite quickly, but it was nowhere near that before

jit bull transpile posted:

It's contracting because a huge demographic of people it depended on functionally ceased to exist overnight.

lol that you believe this

unless we suddenly can call 40, 50, 100 years an overnight thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

sears was not smoking ruins in 2004 lol. it was performing mediocre and up to dumb tricks like "let's halfass doing grocery maybe" but unlike kmart it hadn't gone into bankruptcy then done a bunch of shady financial tricks to pump stock price and look profitable on paper under fast eddy

strap zombie kmart onto it and put eddy in charge and it becomes a smoking ruin quite quickly, but it was nowhere near that before

it was ruined enough to be sold to bottom feeders like lampert