Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Just steal the fighter ability from The Nightmares Underneath: if a fighter misses on an attack, they deal their damage once, if they hit they deal damage twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Gate posted:

Level 20 Fighter capstone should just include something like:

"You have reached the pinnacle of skill at arms. On attack rolls, you only miss on a roll of natural 1 when making a weapon attack against a target's AC. If you are able to reach your target, you will almost always hit them. Your weapon attacks also ignore any resistances that would normally apply."

On top of probably some more crazy stuff. Somewhere on the way to 20 they ought to have gained something like the Hunter Ranger's whirlwind attack. Or a passive ability that gives their target vulnerability if they're significantly weaker than the Fighter.
In the playtest the fighter had a version of the old AD&D "Just murder X CR Y kobolds per round" passive and GUESS WHAT HAPPENED

Serf
May 5, 2011

fighters should straight up deal level + str mod damage on a miss no matter what, with features that just escalate this so they're doing damage no matter what

thefakenews posted:

Just steal the fighter ability from The Nightmares Underneath: if a fighter misses on an attack, they deal their damage once, if they hit they deal damage twice.

like yeah this would own

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Champion Fighter is boring as sin as is. Give it something interesting that still keeps it a "simple" option while making it an actual choice to use if you want to be A Good Fighter:

quote:

Man of War

Starting at 7th level, your ability to damage your foe is improved greatly. Whenever you successfully attack a target with a Challenge Rating that is less than, or equal to, your Fighter level minus 2, you immediately kill that foe. If your attack misses, you deal damage as normal. If your target has a Challenge Rating that is less than, or equal to, your Fighter level minus 5, your attack cannot miss.

God of War

Starting at 15th level, whenever you take the Attack action, your attacks can no longer miss, whenever you would score a critical hit your attacks deal triple their normal damage and you ignore any resistance to Slashing, Piercing and Bludgeoning attacks.

Additionally, you may use the Man of War ability as a bonus action. If you choose to do so, you may select a number of targets up to your Fighter level.

Functionally just turn mooks into 4e minions, because you're good at fighting. Do you hit? Great, they're dead don't worry about it. Do you miss? gently caress that, no you don't, you're good at fighting. Since you'd probably still roll for ~critical hits~ let's just go and make that more worthwhile too.

Speaking of which, just drop Superior Critical to the 3rd level ability instead of 15, so it can actually matter. Upgrade Survivor so you always regen some HP whenever you're not just dying outright, or drop it and replace it with something that's active and useful.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 13, 2018

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

You'd definitely have to rebalance the whole game to use that. At that point a 20th level fighter can kill around 98% of creatures that exist in any printed form instantly because they're CR 18 or lower. This includes stuff like every kind of adult dragon, demiliches, more or less every kind of giant, etc. Like, killing things outright is cool and very fighter-ish, but clerics get the ability to instantly destroy CR 4 monsters at 17th level.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Zarick posted:

You'd definitely have to rebalance the whole game to use that. At that point a 20th level fighter can kill around 98% of creatures that exist in any printed form instantly because they're CR 18 or lower. This includes stuff like every kind of adult dragon, demiliches, more or less every kind of giant, etc. Like, killing things outright is cool and very fighter-ish, but clerics get the ability to instantly destroy CR 4 monsters at 17th level.

I dunno, this kinda owns. I mean you're just making it sound cooler

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Like, sure, as far as proper parity and balance is concerned it'd probably be 1/4 level (rounded up :colbert:) instead. Maybe upped to half as a capstone if you're particularly daring. But, I'm not seeing how most of those examples are particularly issues. If "adult dragon" or "a giant" is a problem by 20th level, that's a worrying sign considering before then you should be fighting Ancient Dragons and other assorted real big name threats. Demilich is a fairer example, though, and even that would only apply at 20th level so the vast, vast, vast majority of games would never even get close to that.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah the cleric ability is a joke but gently caress it you're already absurdly powerful miracle wise by that point. I'm cool with fighters just having a mechanic to murder weak opponents at higher levels, gotta give them something.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zarick posted:

how many games even get to level 20 tho

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'd probably swap it around, so you can't miss something CR-2 and autokill something CR-5.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I dunno, you could make it a save or something so that every time the fighter hits one of those marquis monsters they basically have to burn a legendary resist. Still makes fighters 100x better.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Serf posted:

The answer is none that care about class balance.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Serf posted:

Statistically, none.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I try my like second session of 5e. I wonder how it will go. I do like my Rogue tho :3:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Piling more and more passive bonuses with increasing rhetorical weight on the fighter is a fool's errand. Just give them real powers.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Capstones are stupid. Piling the coolest and most evocative things into level 20 is stupid.

Good classes should begin to see their thematic core early and get new, more narratively heavy things as they level. Level 20 is basically a victory lap and should mostly serve to show how god-like a character has become.

Stuff gained from 5-10 should honestly be the most mechanically interesting and it frustrates me that many classes get neat ideas tucked into level 15-20. That's when they don't matter any more!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ferrinus posted:

Piling more and more passive bonuses with increasing rhetorical weight on the fighter is a fool's errand. Just give them real powers.

This too. I know it got pushed out in the playtest, but Battlemaster should have been greatly expanded and other Fighters/martial classes should basically just have what baseline battlemaster does on top of their other features.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

The Gate posted:

This too. I know it got pushed out in the playtest, but Battlemaster should have been greatly expanded and other Fighters/martial classes should basically just have what baseline battlemaster does on top of their other features.

martial classes should all have access to some kind of lists of cool poo poo they can do on a system that's close to spell slots, similar to the schools of magic or different spell lists, maybe split them up so each class has access to only a few lists, and the lists are specialized for things like tanking or ranged attacks or dual-wielding

maybe have nine different ones

and put them in one book, like some kind book of nine swords

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I don't know, none of this sounds very realistic...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mendrian posted:

Honestly with fewer numbers in the mix you'd want a more complex moves-system so that combat didn't boil down to 'players stand near monsters until monsters fall down'.
It's fine if combat is boring if it's also deadly enough that players avoid even fair fights. Then you can play a game about finding ways to get treasure and riches while to dealing with monsters indirectly or through cunning. A face to face fight would about to a fuckup on the part of the players in such a situation.

Just don't make it boring *and* a big part of the game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Martial characters should get open ended powers with more then just combat utility; things that do things like boost an attribute (good uses in and out of a fight) or have dual benefits, like giving you a cool attack and boosting a skill in the process.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That "Mystic" class they put in some UA with Disciplines that had passive and active effects based on how many points you spent on them in the moment was actually a really good model for a martial hero class. You just had to not use the ones that let you spit fire or whatever.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ProfessorCirno posted:

Martial characters should get open ended powers with more then just combat utility; things that do things like boost an attribute (good uses in and out of a fight) or have dual benefits, like giving you a cool attack and boosting a skill in the process.

Monster Hunter UA had the right idea, letting you use Superiority Die for skill checks.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/races-ravnica

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
One GM that I played with in a game that got broken up due to sex drama had a homebrew race of elephant people and I was always sad that I never got to do much with the character but maybe now I can.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

They seem underpowered but the Simic Hybrids seem like a lot of fun.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

The Veldaklen getting Advantage on Cha, Int AND Wis saving throws seems super powerful.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

OfChristandMen posted:

The Veldaklen getting Advantage on Cha, Int AND Wis saving throws seems super powerful.

Don't gnomes get the same thing?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Just finished listening to the Dice Camera Action finale of Curse of Strahd. That felt like a really weak ending - like Perkins wanted to rush it to just move on.

Also the guy who plays Paultin annoys the crap out of me.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Don't gnomes get the same thing?

Only against magic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Reminds me of how homebrew races are nonstop +2 then choice of +2/+2. For all the good ninja/casting stats ""Because hill dwarves get +2/+2!!! STR/CON, totally just as good".

I'm sure the people who made that unironically have said "But gnomes get-" rather than an innocent question like above. Because that's something I've had to explain to a friend who keeps showing me homebrew every so often.

Along with a high frequency of responding to "But X gets this feature!" with "Yes, as a level path choice at level like, 7. Not by default at level 2."

Really the most common pattern of stuff that isn't entirely made up bullshit I've seen in what homebrew supplements a pal of mine throws my way. Seems to be a theme of "But X gets this, so it's okay if I put it literally wherever I want...With adjustments for my statistical preference, of course."

Some list of paladin(cleric?) subtypes he showed me like clockwork had the "+radiant on weapon hit" gimmick on like, 10 out of 14 class paths? I can't even remember all the dumb bullshit everything else had one way or another, but it really stood out to me that the strongest +DMG freebie you saw in the PHB was essentially treated like FILLER.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 13, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Lucas Archer posted:

Just finished listening to the Dice Camera Action finale of Curse of Strahd. That felt like a really weak ending - like Perkins wanted to rush it to just move on.

Also the guy who plays Paultin annoys the crap out of me.

I haven't listened to it but that's pretty funny if he phones in the end to his own book.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Kaysette posted:

I haven't listened to it but that's pretty funny if he phones in the end to his own book.

It looked pretty rushed but curse of strahd isn’t really over, they go back to it next season. The current season has started earlier for the waterdeep storyline and is running double the usual length.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pollyanna posted:

Today I try my like second session of 5e. I wonder how it will go. I do like my Rogue tho :3:

I'm on my fourth, having a blast.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Svirfneblin Magic gives me Nondetection. According to the spell, whoever I touch is hidden, but the Feat says “on myself”. Which is it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

Capstones are stupid. Piling the coolest and most evocative things into level 20 is stupid.

Good classes should begin to see their thematic core early and get new, more narratively heavy things as they level. Level 20 is basically a victory lap and should mostly serve to show how god-like a character has become.

Stuff gained from 5-10 should honestly be the most mechanically interesting and it frustrates me that many classes get neat ideas tucked into level 15-20. That's when they don't matter any more!

Right - all this stuff about "the Fighter should be able to just straight-up execute some fools" is stuff they should be getting around level 5 tops, when people are still playing the game.

EDIT: I do also want to point out that "the Fighter only misses on a natural 1" is something that 3rd Edition was already able to pull off.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 14, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sebmojo posted:

I'm on my fourth, having a blast.

I disguised and Nondetectioned an enthralled lady (not by me) who proceeded to fail all sorts of stealth rolls, and I had to try to deceive my way against the guards guarding the carriages I could stash her in. When I failed, I ran back in, cast Disguise Self, turned into an old lady, and went right back out. :v:

Then I rolled a one on deception, cast Blink on myself, screamed “RUN LADY RUN”, scaled the wall and bust into the maids’ quarters.

Good so far.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Svirfneblin Magic gives me Nondetection. According to the spell, whoever I touch is hidden, but the Feat says “on myself”. Which is it?

quote:

This ability allows you to cast Nondetection on yourself at will, without needing a material component.

Just yourself, think of it like a natural camouflage field against diviners for your Gnome.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 14, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

drat. Oh well, we negotiated an Inspiration in exchange for being able to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
give fighters 18/xx strength at level 20