Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MiddleOne posted:

Oh it looks fantastic. Which is why I'm so sad to see it lose all the time. :(

I like how Red Devil and Valkyrie look, they put some effort into aesthetics. I'm still not sure how good Red Devil actually is but it's a cool design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Have I been marathoning Battlebots / Robot Wars enough or is the current combat robot meta kinda boring? Spinners are so dominant and the current rules (at least for Battlebots) prohibit bots that would be better equipped to deal with spinners.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

beepsandboops posted:

Have I been marathoning Battlebots / Robot Wars enough or is the current combat robot meta kinda boring? Spinners are so dominant and the current rules (at least for Battlebots) prohibit bots that would be better equipped to deal with spinners.

I disagree. I'll take spinners over Generic Wedgebot #72.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I saw the drone or possibly a winchbot in the cage for a few of the fights that was clearly not a contestant one. I guess it had a 360 camera for action in the cage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miol5jR61uo

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

beepsandboops posted:

Just depends on which tournament. King of wedgebots, Original Sin still won at Robogames last year. And in China, KoB had such lovely spinner clones, only Megabyte actually felt like a threat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

spinners haven't been dominating the latest season on TV, but of course those matches are curated

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

lol goddamn the robot wars American edit awful.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

beepsandboops posted:

I'll take that over a flipper meta

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spinners are the best because they either cause the most damage or kill themselves.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

halokiller posted:

Just depends on which tournament. King of wedgebots, Original Sin still won at Robogames last year. And in China, KoB had such lovely spinner clones, only Megabyte actually felt like a threat.

I don't think it's a surprise that Spinners are actually really difficult to operate and direct given the nature of their weaponry, but just watching some of the Tombstone clones self-destruct is amusing on its own. Spinners are extreme glass cannons so bulking of armor and some clever piloting may be all you need to get all but the best spinners to self destruct. Otoh, that strategy doesn't hold up against the new class of pseudo-wedge bots that have nominal weapons but largely exist to ram other bots and push them around.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Minotaur is a prime example, their poo poo gets up to speed and you can't even turn without maybe flipping.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grognan posted:

Minotaur is a prime example, their poo poo gets up to speed and you can't even turn without maybe flipping.

I think most, if not all the Minotaur-likes like Yeti have that same issue. It's basically a function of physics.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

All verticals have the same issue of fighting gyroscopic precession. Most drivers keep the weapon at a speed below the point that it affects their ability to turn and then spin up when going in for a hit. Some dont bother. Nightmare for example takes a while to spin that big honkin disk up so it just goes full tilt and pivots on the one wheel that stays on the ground. Horizontals are affected too but because moving up/down is less common it doesnt affect them as much. You can see it in action when Tombstone hits something and goes bouncing into the air, it'll wobble back and forth.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

heh Ultimo Destructo sure is a modular bot, no doubt about that

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

That Tombstone fight was complete insanity. Just poo poo flying everywhere for 1 minute.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fish Of Doom posted:

That Tombstone fight was complete insanity. Just poo poo flying everywhere for 1 minute.

It was very fun

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That is the basic Tombstone fight though. Bunch of parts flying everywhere off of one or both bots... Looked like it might have actually been a close fight though, possibly could have gone either way if the other bot could have taken a few more hits.

Also I am happy to see Chomp and Overhaul adding more losses to their loss belts...

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also I am happy to see Chomp and Overhaul adding more losses to their loss belts...

Especially Overhaul. I mean, I know Brutus split off that team because of "differences of opinion" with Charles, but wasn't there a second breakaway team, too? He seems a bit insufferable.

I feel like Zoey really wants that auto targeting system to work, and being a software guy I can't help but feel bad for her, even despite the obvious design flaws.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Especially Overhaul. I mean, I know Brutus split off that team because of "differences of opinion" with Charles, but wasn't there a second breakaway team, too? He seems a bit insufferable.
Sawblaze, which has been extremely effective this season.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I feel like Zoey really wants that auto targeting system to work, and being a software guy I can't help but feel bad for her, even despite the obvious design flaws.

Sawblaze is the other former overhaul teammate. efb

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I feel like the hammer design is what kills them. I think they'd do way better with a smaller hammer that allows for a more stable bot. They spend so much time on their side, and I would totally trade a little bit of hammer power for like double the chances the attack from not constantly tipping over

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I want a Tombstone v Tombstone fight

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Have Tombstone drive into the sides and hazards of the battlebox and see what breaks first.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Tombstone is just on another level to any other robot right now. They should be an end of level boss - beat Tombstone after winning the tournament to become ULTIMATE CHAMPION!

Of course then we wouldn't get to see some hilarious carnage so...

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Heh there was a Tale of the Tape where Charles went on a random rant about Bernie conspiracy before getting cut off. The hosts were like :wtc:.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rondette posted:

I feel like Tombstone is just on another level to any other robot right now. They should be an end of level boss - beat Tombstone after winning the tournament to become ULTIMATE CHAMPION!

Of course then we wouldn't get to see some hilarious carnage so...

I keep waiting for the revelation that Tombstone has actually been way over the weight limit this whole time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I love how it's just taken for granted that Tombstone is the huge gimmick villain bot that will always make it to at least the semi-final.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

halokiller posted:

Heh there was a Tale of the Tape where Charles went on a random rant about Bernie conspiracy before getting cut off. The hosts were like :wtc:.

Where? I need this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tombstone is such a great robot that I feel like Witch Doctor gets a huge reputation boost just from coming close to beating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4AAIfQD8ew

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm sure Ray has the parts and could do it. But it would be an expensive fight, even for him.

It would also probably be a disappointing fight since it would probably last 10 seconds.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rondette posted:

I feel like Tombstone ... should be an end of level boss

Well, it is really.

Thing about Tombstone is it turns so fast that it's nearly impossible to hit anything but it's weapon; and it's durable as hell.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

wormil posted:

Well, it is really.

Thing about Tombstone is it turns so fast that it's nearly impossible to hit anything but it's weapon; and it's durable as hell.

It's not just that it turns fast, it's weapon profile is huge compared to most bots except other horizontal spinners like Icewave and Son of Wyachi. With Tombstone's weapon, though, it's speed and weight also help it turn due to the blade's momentum iirc so it can whip around clockwise with the weapon going faster than without (if my physics are right)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It only has two wheels which let it pivot without forward motion.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

We sometimes question a bot with exposed wheels and Last Rites/Tombstone is as exposed as it gets, but I don't think I ever seen it lose a wheel in any Combots or Robogames match. Even Ray says in his AMA that he doesn't really consider it a weakness, more of a calculated risk.

oh jay posted:

Where? I need this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcS4CPPFwo&t=2430s

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

halokiller posted:

We sometimes question a bot with exposed wheels and Last Rites/Tombstone is as exposed as it gets, but I don't think I ever seen it lose a wheel in any Combots or Robogames match. Even Ray says in his AMA that he doesn't really consider it a weakness, more of a calculated risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcS4CPPFwo&t=2430s

This one has a fight where he gets beaten. It looks old though, and not in Battlebots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAdyWKMNoGk

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

halokiller posted:

We sometimes question a bot with exposed wheels and Last Rites/Tombstone is as exposed as it gets, but I don't think I ever seen it lose a wheel in any Combots or Robogames match.

His wheel was bent by the end of that last fight, but that was about it. Honestly, though, it's a good calculated risk because in most circumstances, that giant fuckoff lawnmower blade is spinning between the aggressor and the wheels, and a lot of people can't get their weapons effective area to the wheel without ending up in Tombstone's danger zone.

He's also got an exposed chain which seems conceptually dangerous, but at the same time, nobody seems to have the length or precision to hit it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It really surprises me that, even after multiple years, no one has come up with something that reliably beats Tombstone without losing to everything else.

Is Tombstone literally the best possible design?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ConfusedUs posted:

It really surprises me that, even after multiple years, no one has come up with something that reliably beats Tombstone without losing to everything else.

I think some very controlly bots could beat it, but they'd struggle against bots that are less likely to throw themselves around the box after a big hit

I bet this guy might have a shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVxB8t68UvE&t=110s

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 13, 2018

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I am curious to see if the rash of "Just Barely Not Wedge" bots manage to bounce him enough to break himself, or if Huge manages a lucky chain shot, but I think the chances of either are slim.

That said, there are Tombstone like bots this year that are doing awfully, so there's definitely an element of skill and quality workmanship in Ray's favor.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I am curious to see if the rash of "Just Barely Not Wedge" bots manage to bounce him enough to break himself, or if Huge manages a lucky chain shot, but I think the chances of either are slim.

I really want to see Tombstone vs Huge just to see if those wheels can survive it, but I feel like its gonna be the kind of fight that is over in 20 seconds, including the countout

• Locked thread