Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man the amount of random missable stuff in MML is nuts, didn't check this single box you have no reason to? No classic Megaman helmet for you.
At least not much of it seems permanently missable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Man, I can't recall if I replayed X6 in the past 10 years or not, but I'm banking that I didn't. With a more critical eye, this game seems to have been made by jerks that not only hate Megaman X, but wanted to roll back a bunch of QoL changes since Megaman 1 on the NES. It's just so tedious.

Anyway, one torturous trek I accidentally put myself through: Do NOT combine Ultimate Buster+Falcon Armor and fight The Middle-Aged Maverick Ninja Turtleoid with his weakness unless you are prepared to be ultra-aggressive and suicidal because of how awful the fully-charged version of his weakness is.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 13, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What is his weakness?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Blizzard Wolfang's attack. When powered up you send icicles up and down on the screen from where you dash.

I may have been doing it wrong, but I had to activate the attack, damage boost+dash through him, and then try to stunlock him so he wouldn't activate Sonic's spindash. It was a pain to guess where in the dash the icicles would shoot from.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sakurazuka posted:

Man the amount of random missable stuff in MML is nuts, didn't check this single box you have no reason to? No classic Megaman helmet for you.
At least not much of it seems permanently missable.

I am pretty sure the only missable stuff is in the ruin before landing on Kattleox Island.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know from personal experience you can gently caress up the bomb side quest if you take too long.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Japanese Reploid names aren’t any different from when Transformers are named “Cheetor”, “Rhinox”, or “Rattrap”. And they’re machines yes, but they’re also machines that are supposed to be more autonomous and individualized than the less advanced Robot Masters.

I mean, would Boomer Kuwanger be anywhere near as interesting if he were “Boomerang Beetle”? If you changed Hanumachine to “Apebot” you’d be actively be making the name less interesting. And you can’t tell me that “Blizzard Wolf”, “Bamboo Panda”, and “Burn T-Rex” would be better than Blizzard Wolfang, Bamboo Pandamonium, or Burn Dinorex.

The Guns’n’Roses names were bad because the musical references in the series are usually to general things like genres and styles, not to specific bands, and they take you out of the story. And I’m not saying that you shouldn’t translate or localize them either. Boomer Kuwanger is more interesting the way it is, Commander Yammark arguably flows better than Commander Dragonfly, but others, sure, do what they did when they changed “Wind Karasting” to “Wind Crowrang”.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nodosaur posted:

And you can’t tell me that “Blizzard Wolf”, “Bamboo Panda”, and “Burn T-Rex” would be better than Blizzard Wolfang, Bamboo Pandamonium, or Burn Dinorex.

They could at least be consistent with it. I probably would have less issue with Bamboo Pandemonium or Gravity Antonion if the same game didn't also have Dark Mantis and Burn Rooster.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, same. Especially since Rooster is supposed to be a cockatrice.

“Dark Manticide” and “Burn Cockatrick” are what I’d have gone with.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sakurazuka posted:

I know from personal experience you can gently caress up the bomb side quest if you take too long.

I just remembered that and the buster parts they become are useful. But the part you find in the intro ruin and the bombs are it.

You can get back to anywhere except for the intro ruin and the only other point of no return is fighting Juno. You can wait until the very end to do the police sidequests, restore buildings, build the clubhouse, and so on.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
What are the conditions to getting parts in MMX5? I'm playing Xtreme mode and I wasted enough hours in order to get the first maverick (Grizzly) to level 9 and I didn't get a part. I was using Fourth Armor if it makes a difference. (I got the choice between Life+ and Energy+ but no part that I can see).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

What are the conditions to getting parts in MMX5? I'm playing Xtreme mode and I wasted enough hours in order to get the first maverick (Grizzly) to level 9 and I didn't get a part. I was using Fourth Armor if it makes a difference. (I got the choice between Life+ and Energy+ but no part that I can see).

You won't get the part you selected until after you beat more stages. Just keep playing and you'll get all 8 parts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished MML, it was decent enough, my only complaint that isn't stemming from it being a pre-analogue PS1 game is that only being able to switch special weapons with Roll and the ridiculous upgrade costs meant you pretty much stick with one thing for most of the game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished MML, it was decent enough, my only complaint that isn't stemming from it being a pre-analogue PS1 game is that only being able to switch special weapons with Roll and the ridiculous upgrade costs meant you pretty much stick with one thing for most of the game.

It takes a playthrough to really understand why, but you learn on the next go that there's only four special weapons worth upgrading.

The Vacuum Arm is cheap to max out. The Powered Buster doesn't need to be maxed out but its range should be at least. I like to pour as much money as I can into the Active Buster's power and range for the fight with Gesellschaft. The Drill Arm only needs the energy upgrade to infinite because it's useless to attack with unless you want to see how few hits you can take to rip the shield off of a Gorubesshu. If you're going for the Shining Laser, then you might as well go ham and save up the 835,000 zenny it costs to max it out

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You don't need to completely max out every weapon you use since that last upgrade could very well be the post-game level of grind for broken weapons.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Most of the special weapons are just useless, underpowered, cost too much to be worthwhile, or become available way too late in the game to be worth sinking all that money into.

The Active Buster is insane, but it costs 1.76 million zenny to fully upgrade and you can't get it until the end of the game's second act. The Shining Laser is cheaper to kit out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tunicate posted:

I really disliked the zero series names because they were unmemorable mashes of syllables

The only ones I can remember of zero's animal bosses are Aztec Falcon and Flame Heatnix, but then I looked it up and it turns out that Heatnix is the Japanese name of an X6 maverick and I haven't even played X6

I like the Zero three boss names quite a lot. Though there was some mis translations on it' like Tretista Kelverian. Which is supposed to be Tretesta Kerberian. (Tre Testa is Italian for three and head. While Kerberian is a play on Kerberos.)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm playing Mega Man 8 because it's the only classic MM I never played properly, and wow are the rocket sled sections in Frost Man's stage not fun at all. I can't think of many worse sequences in the classic games outside of maybe the Wily Capsule and the Boobeam Trap or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Forktoss posted:

I'm playing Mega Man 8 because it's the only classic MM I never played properly, and wow are the rocket sled sections in Frost Man's stage not fun at all. I can't think of many worse sequences in the classic games outside of maybe the Wily Capsule and the Boobeam Trap or something.

Theyre complete poo poo and yet have inexplicable and ardent defenders

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the boss of Wily 1 in 8 bothers me more than either of the sled sections, tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The sled levels suck but nothing classic is as bad as MM7 Wily capsule

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Sakurazuka posted:

The sled levels suck but nothing classic is as bad as MM7 Wily capsule

Like the entirety of Challenger From the Future.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Of the things I'd heard of when I made that post

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm glad I got through my jet sled hate phase when I was eleven is all. Now I can do them in my sleep.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Forktoss posted:

I haven't played Mega Man 8 since the PS2 era. I remember the sled areas were tough but nothing too crazy, until I think the first Wily stage is a sled section and that gave me a couple of rough nights before I beat it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my favorite robot is the one from mmz3 who is a french cactus and also a glacier, and a tank

"glacier le cactank"

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Oyster posted:

Like the entirety of Challenger From the Future.

Oyster, you're the only one who remembers Challenger From the Future.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Forktoss posted:

I’m playing it for the first time and yeah, they’re not great. It’s too fast to react to so you pretty much have to memorize the track.

EDIT: It’s not that bad, I guess but the jump jump/slide slides gently caress me up sometimes. It feels like the timing is inconsistent with the audio cue on some of the jump/slides.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 14, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Forktoss posted:

If you can’t jump jump with the best, you slide slide with the rest

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Oyster, you're the only one who remembers Challenger From the Future.

challenger from the future is the only story that explains who killed off all the classic era characters: some random time-traveling rear end in a top hat

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The DS/3DS totally could have done Challenger From the Futures vertical gimmick 100% better, if only inticreates had not been too cowardly to attempt it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Star Man posted:

Most of the special weapons are just useless, underpowered, cost too much to be worthwhile, or become available way too late in the game to be worth sinking all that money into.

The Active Buster is insane, but it costs 1.76 million zenny to fully upgrade and you can't get it until the end of the game's second act. The Shining Laser is cheaper to kit out.

I was a kid with a Gameshark.

Love that Active Buster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got and used the Shining Laser but it was like one of the last things before I finished the game and seemed very not suited to the fast moving final bosses.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The trick is that when it's fully upgraded they don't get a chance to move, they melt in under a second.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sakurazuka posted:

I got and used the Shining Laser but it was like one of the last things before I finished the game and seemed very not suited to the fast moving final bosses.

At full power, the Shining Laser melts Juno in seven seconds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol guess I shouldn't have split my money between that and the other expensive weapon I barely used.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If I didn't do it on normal, then I definitely did on hard mode when I was twelve.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

"It costs 835,000 Zenny to fire this weapon... for seven seconds."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Petiso posted:

"It costs 835,000 Zenny to fire this weapon... for seven seconds."

No, you can fire it forever at that price. You just get seven seconds in heaven with it :flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Megaman X8 is down. Still need to do trophy cleanup for it and X6, but I only have one game left to go for the XLC.

Someone pray for me... :gonk: