Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

JBP posted:

I'm really hoping they just go with hairy Odin and have him come to terms with the spear. Poke out an eye like Magnus, but have him learn something. Basically what I'm saying is give me Wolfman Odin but also make him look like Solidus Snake.

He'll still have the tits I hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Safety Factor posted:

Space Wolves players are the worst. What are they expecting? Dark Angels and Blood Angels didn't get any new models and they won't either. They're not going to just plop out Russ without a bunch of lead-up; we should figure on him showing up in a campaign book later. Space Wolf players need to have more reasonable expectations, but I realize they are the ur-grogs and nothing will be good enough.

I have like 5000 points worth of space wolves and I am always happy. The pile on mentality when anything space wolves comes up is just as annoying/bad and I wish people would just chill the gently caress out and accept that we are adults playing with science fantasy dolls.

Fake James posted:

He'll still have the tits I hope

:same: they replace the solidus tentacle harness

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They've been insufferable every since they got the first codex back in 2nd edition.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

moths posted:

They've been insufferable every since they got the first codex back in 2nd edition.

That's the codex that made me throw my starting out Dark Angels in the bin. That sizzling cover art moustache.

E: oh yeah but I switched to Eldar shortly after and played them for years because you could table kids that liked space marines and get called a homosexual elf at the same time.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I'm really hoping they just go with hairy Odin and have him come to terms with the spear. Poke out an eye like Magnus, but have him learn something. Basically what I'm saying is give me Wolfman Odin but also make him look like Solidus Snake.
Old Man Odin Russ would be the best way to handle his return, but keep your expectations low with Clawed Ape-Man Power Jorts Russ.

Comedy option: Dual kit

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Jesus Christ people on Facebook are so relentlessly negative every single time GW and FW post. Why do they play the game?

Like a guy is complaining that the "Viking and heavy metal fan" faction is baby blue. Paint them coal grey then gently caress knuckle.

Imagine being this insecure with your sexuality.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Safety Factor posted:

Old Man Odin Russ would be the best way to handle his return

Comedy option: Dual kit

Russ comes back, sees the Wolf Wolf sled

"For gently caress's sake guys.. just.. come on"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

how would ya'll do up an Eldar Medic, model-wise, for killteam? Scrolls and runes and poo poo?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that's why I dropped a few 40k youtubers because they would have FEMINISM IS RUINING ARE GAME bullshit. loving Arch Warhammer.
Even after explicitly clicking the "not interested in this channel" option YouTube still plop the odd Arch Warhammer video in my recommendations.

Anyway, I follow KiriothTV on YouTube. I think he's good. If he has lovely political opinions he's kept them to himself, and he's spoken openly about struggling with depression, which is a big plus in my book, as I have someone very close to me irl struggling with the same.

Mad Max orks sounds rad as hell.
Pretty plausible too, there's a mention of Orks doing death races to entertain themselves when they couldn't breach the cities on Vigilus according to the lore post about Tooth and Claw on the community site.
Gonna start writing post-it notes with "Do not buy another 40k army!" so I can wallpaper my apartment with to hopefully control myself if this turns out to be true.

Also yes to old man Odin Russ, telling current era space wolves to gently caress off with all this furry poo poo.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

how would ya'll do up an Eldar Medic, model-wise, for killteam? Scrolls and runes and poo poo?

I'd use the Spiritseer as a base. If you want to drop some money, maybe get one of the Bonesinger mini's for around $30-$35 that are floating around.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Babe Magnet posted:

I’m using one of the gun platform crew guardians as my comms guy and either of those would probably work for medic too. Perhaps stick a spare wraithblade scattershield on the arm too or something.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed that YouTube has been running a lot of far right-wing political ads and it's super loving annoying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Groetgaffel posted:

Mad Max orks sounds rad as hell.

It is.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 14, 2018

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The most vitally important thing about any future Russ model is that he have absolutely no beard. None. gently caress people that think he should.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, the Lion should totally have a full-on Rip Van Winkle beard.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The most vitally important thing about any future Russ model is that he have absolutely no beard. None. gently caress people that think he should.

The most important thing about any future Russ model is a decent main gun and Grinding Advance. :colbert:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Immediately upon returning in the fluff daemon Magnus gets his comeuppance and Primarch-wedgies him by breaking his back. He’s interred into a Dreadnought and thus becomes another walker model for wolves while also invalidating the uniqueness of Bjorn at the same time.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

PierreTheMime posted:

Immediately upon returning in the fluff daemon Magnus gets his comeuppance and Primarch-wedgies him by breaking his back. He’s interred into a Dreadnought and thus becomes another walker model for wolves while also invalidating the uniqueness of Bjorn at the same time.

Considering the immense stupidity of current GW fluff, this seems very plausible.

I'm still anticipating an incredibly stupid Wulfen Russ.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
All new Space Wolf models should have a wolf drawn floating chariot.

Scouts, Russ, Bjorn...

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

jng2058 posted:

The most important thing about any future Russ model is a decent main gun and Grinding Advance. :colbert:

This is a good point tho, what happens if Leman Russ has the Leman Russ keyword

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

chutche2 posted:

This is a good point tho, what happens if Leman Russ has the Leman Russ keyword
Imagine the Guilliman model, but wearing a Leman Russ turret as hat, with a heavy bolter in each hand and a lascannon dickgun.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jng2058 posted:

if you've listened to any of our gently caress marry kill segments on the primarchs, you know I'd be more than happy that Russ Advance then Grind on me :pervert:

I'm not expecting a new model of Russ, as far as I've heard there's no credible rumors behind that, but they look to be getting the same treatment as DA and BA - a lieutenant and an accessory sprue and that's about it for new models. Surprised it took em this long honestly, but I guess they wanted something with less leadup time before an army getting expanded or redone I guess.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Assuming it took so long was because their schedule was rather jam packed and AOS2nd was the major focus for the majority of the year.

I'd be tempted to get that Primaris Wolf guy and just paint him up as a Blood Raven since half of my guys are built from Space Wolf parts anyway. Even if by now I should just paint them as Wolves in either blue or grey but whatever.
Still been meaning to find Björn's close combat arm for my dread.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
:siren:B-B-BATTLE REPORTS!:siren:

I got in two games this past week, both for the campaign I'm running. I decided to do something different this round and rather than give players specific match-ups, I gave each player a card that details possible match-ups they can play, and the opponents they'd play them against. So for example, the AdMech player can play up to 4 games to earn campaign victory points this round: 1 against Tau, 1 against Chaos, and 2 against Necrons, for a total of 4 campaign VPs.

Game 1: Wednesday Night, Black Legion vs. AdMech, 2,000 Points

After allying up with the Space Wolf forces on Paulus, the Adeptus Mechanicus of Magos Spindulus learned that the Black Legion forces on the planet had a member of the Dark Mechanicus in their employ (I used him back in the game where the Space Wolves recovered the relic). They were determined to strike out at this heretek and destroy his foul mechanical blasphemies.

The Mission we played was Big Guns Never Tire, with one adjustment: Instead of points being scored for Heavy Support units killed, they were scored for destroying Vehicles and killing techpriests/warpsmiths. We also took fairly vehicle-heavy armies.

The Highlights:
Deployment, where my big bois are ready to rumble as I get first turn.

My Warlord, Apollyon the Warpsmith rolling deep with his Helbrute bros. The one in front got shot in the face on turn 1 but the one with the Power Scourge hosed up an Armiger pretty bad T1. Then it exploded thanks to an Admech strategem (with some re-roll help) and destroyed the helbrute and did another 10 mortal wounds on top of that to poo poo around it.

His cohort, Damarkos the Hellwright, rolling with his posse. Both Apollyon and Damarkos survived the encounter.

Knight Wrathflayer of House Malinax, who tore apart an armiger with its chainsword before wiping out three Kastellan Robots. Those things are the bane of my loving existence. In this game, no joke, at one point I shot them 6 times and had 5 of those shots reflected back at me as mortal wounds. RIP assholes. Here's Wrathflayer staring down Cawl, before facing down a hail of lascannon fire. The ancient knight rotated its ion shields, then failed every save and got shot full of holes.

We called the game on time since it was already 12:30. In the closing moments, I was unable to blow the Admech off the objective in front of me, leaving us tied at two apiece. Not so bad. Unfortunately, the Admech also had destroyed 5 vehicles to my 4, and scored First Blood, leaving me with a 12-10 loss. Ah, well. Chaos is eternal.

Game 2: Saturday Ham Slams vs. T'au

The Tau have been running roughshod over Paulus, but need resources to fuel the war effort. Literally. They need prometheum, and capturing one of the main city's refineries is the best way to do it. Too bad the refinery they chose is also being claimed by Black Legion forces. The game was Cleanse and Control, 1,500 points, on the Sector Mechancius Battlezone (see: Chapter Approved 2017).

The Highlights:
Deployment. We're fighting over a prometheum refinery, which gives me a chance to use all of my painted shadow war terrain and I'm happy with the effect. I hold back raptors and terminators. he holds back Vespids, pathfinders, and a pair of crisis suit commanders.

Early on I charge in and get some good hits in with the Berserkers, but they get shot in the face right after. Ah well. I was going second but mercifully little happened on T1.

This guy was bad-rear end and showed up on Turn 2. Then I dropped behind him and killed him wiht a raptor meltagun.

The Terminators use grappling hooks (a strategem) to climb up the structure, wiping out the Stealth suits and breachers up there so they can capture the middle objective.

The Tau shoot my raptors and warlord up after falling back from combat, and as the game winds down the Tau player is left mostly holding his own objective.

My terminators and havocs hold firm, though and score me 6 Victory points. With First blood that gives me 7, compared to 7 for the Tau player. Chaos Win on Turn 6 as we fail to go another turn.

Thoughts:

- Forgefiends are rear end

- So far, this campaign game allocation strategy seems to be working well. Wooo!

- gently caress Kastellan robots

- Sector Mechanicus terrain owns

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Who put the Mastodon Heavy Assault Transport on the floor over there?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

- gently caress Kastellan robots

HOW. DARE. YOU.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008

Endman posted:

Who put the Mastodon Heavy Assault Transport on the floor over there?

Clearly an Emperors Children transport repainted for infiltration.
...I'll let myself out.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If all they do for Space Wolves is an update spru nerds are going to have aneurysms.

of course nerds will have aneurysms if they do any more than that it'll just be different nerds.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

If all they do for Space Wolves is an update spru nerds are going to have aneurysms.

of course nerds will have aneurysms if they do any more than that it'll just be different nerds.

It's exactly what every other non-codex chapter got and the only really reasonable thing to expect. Of course SW players will be upset.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Lots of people mad about space wolves tonight

The preview specifically mentioned wulfen dreadnoughts, so if we are getting a new model it seems like that would be a good bet, otherwise I’m expecting mostly stuff like the primaris captain with a frost axe.

It seems like they’re going to make this Vigilus campaign with genestealers and orcs a big deal so if Russ does come back I would bet it would be at the end of that storyline

I’m just glad to be getting a codex.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Painting question: One thing that perpetually troubles me is 'watermarking' when applying recess shading. When washing, obviously it's fine - You dump enough down that it pools where you want, and clean up afterward. However, I was casually watching Duncan paint White Scars armour, and I watched him getting recess/line shading and it pooling appropriately in the joints, but without leaving the 'watermark' you often get if you apply it even slightly off (and typically, you get a bit everywhere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it6sAE-YBDc

Am I missing a trick here? Despite painting my entire life, I've always avoided recess shading (because being old, I was brought up in the 'Just don't paint in there in the first place' school of Chestnut Ink) and I feel like there's some obvious smarts I'm unaware of. As I'm trying to paint white armour of course, it makes those watermarks even more stark and dirty looking, which I'm keen to avoid.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Are there any tournament-legal armies you can build that don't have a single on-foot model in it?

Vinyl in discord mentioned that IG can do all Leman Russes, but is there anything else?

I ask because I have a dream of, when the new models hit, playing an ork army that has nothing but vehicles in it.

I guess all-transports and vehicles counts but it's not really what I'm going for. NO FOOTSLOGGERS.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Shockeh posted:

Painting question: One thing that perpetually troubles me is 'watermarking' when applying recess shading.
Mix a little bit of Future (Pledge) floor wax into your wash/ink/shade/whatever. This will change its surface tension properties and prevent tide lines. I find one drop in every 8 or so works well. When I was doing brass Necrons, my wash was 1 part Future, 4 parts water, 5 parts Chestnut Ink. Worked like gangbusters.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Are there any tournament-legal armies you can build that don't have a single on-foot model in it?

Vinyl in discord mentioned that IG can do all Leman Russes, but is there anything else?

I ask because I have a dream of, when the new models hit, playing an ork army that has nothing but vehicles in it.

I guess all-transports and vehicles counts but it's not really what I'm going for. NO FOOTSLOGGERS.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dread mob option. Technically they have feet, but they're big and stompy feet.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Shockeh posted:

Painting question: One thing that perpetually troubles me is 'watermarking' when applying recess shading. When washing, obviously it's fine - You dump enough down that it pools where you want, and clean up afterward. However, I was casually watching Duncan paint White Scars armour, and I watched him getting recess/line shading and it pooling appropriately in the joints, but without leaving the 'watermark' you often get if you apply it even slightly off (and typically, you get a bit everywhere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it6sAE-YBDc

Am I missing a trick here? Despite painting my entire life, I've always avoided recess shading (because being old, I was brought up in the 'Just don't paint in there in the first place' school of Chestnut Ink) and I feel like there's some obvious smarts I'm unaware of. As I'm trying to paint white armour of course, it makes those watermarks even more stark and dirty looking, which I'm keen to avoid.

It's literally just practice. You need the right consistency of paint, the right amount on the brush, the right brush, and accurate control. He's doing it effortlessly because he's Saint Duncan (I have touched his hand), and he did that every day for 8 hours a day. For years.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Hey SRM!

Did that guy I sent you ever arrive?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Shockeh posted:

A nice trick I discovered while painting my Knights was to use a thin brush with a very small amount of shade to 'trace' the path you want shaded. This should be barely visible once done. Then get a bit more shade on the brush and just touch the wet area you just made. So long as there isn't too much on the brush the shade should follow the path you just made for it and the colour will get stronger, while surface tension stops it running into other areas.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

DotyManX posted:

It seems like they’re going to make this Vigilus campaign with genestealers and orcs a big deal so if Russ does come back I would bet it would be at the end of that storyline

GSC Russ is going to be great.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Sneaky WIP - thanks Helsreach part 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Looking more legit. Red Orks vs Yellow Orks! No need to share a box with Marines.