Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboRodent posted:

I loving hate the clapping emoji. It's mostly used in a context of "I'm sharing my lovely opinion but I'm clapping so now you can't argue with me!!!"

Minorities 👏 don't 👏 deserve 👏 rights 👏 !!!!!!!

For a second I got really mad, like I just had to erase a half paragraph yelling at you because I'm an idiot and can't read / understand joke structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Turtlicious posted:

For a second I got really mad, like I just had to erase a half paragraph yelling at you because I'm👏 an👏 idiot 👏and👏 can't 👏read / understand 👏joke👏 structure👏.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I love hell dimension it's everything I dreamed about as a child

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

your friend a dog posted:

nuns are usually pretty hardline christians in my experience. and christians and muslims do not get along at all from a religious stand point. one might object to someone harassing a muslim, but they'd never call one doing their prayers their 'brother'

Outside of American WASPery there's an awful lot of cooperation between Christians and Muslims. Just off the top of my head, Muslims are explicitly invited to pray in Church of England churches if they wish (mirroring the long-standing Muslim tradition of allowing "Brothers of the Book" - Christians and Jews - to pray in mosques). The Salvation Army - the absolute epitome of Victorian "Muscular Christianity" - works very closely with East London Mosque, in the heart of the area where the SA were formed of course, in their homelessness and addiction outreach programmes. Vatican 2 specifically says that Muslim prayer is commendable and that Muslims can achieve salvation.

That's leaving aside the massive amount of cross-pollination that happened in the lead-up to the Renaissance (which would have been impossible without Islamic scholarship) and continued particularly in Spain and north Africa throughout the period. Any time you think of Hell as having circles of interesting tortures with Satan in the middle of it, that's a Muslim concept.

The idea that Islam is inherently hostile to Christianity and vice versa is a political convenience of modern times, recapitulating arguments started by European power plays of the Middle Ages overlaid on the need for new enemies after the end of the Cold War. They've coexisted and even cooperated for far longer than they've been at war.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I think anyone who claps in between words should be executed, it is the 9th level of obnoxious

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

SilkyP posted:

I think anyone who claps in between words should be executed, it is the 9th level of obnoxious

"The ninth circle of hell, Cocytus. Home of traitors, betrayers, and those who clap👏 between👏 every👏 word👏 of👏 a👏 sentence."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

The_White_Crane posted:

"The ninth circle of hell, Cocytus. Home of traitors, betrayers, and those who clap👏 between👏 every👏 word👏 of👏 a👏 sentence."

👏👹

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's leaving aside the massive amount of cross-pollination that happened in the lead-up to the Renaissance (which would have been impossible without Islamic scholarship)

Eh, the biggest kick off was Byzantine scholars fleeing the Muslim conquest of Greece, bringing long-lost (to the West) classical texts with them. Islamic scholarship was in a downward swing after the Mongols loving annihilated Baghdad, one of the world's greatest centers of learning, in 1258, and they never had the Ancient Greek texts that Byzantium preserved.

Not to dispute your overall message, though. In fact, one of the crusading knightly orders is still around, the Knights Hospitallier - and they're currently working to help the refugees in the Mediterranean and Syria.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

drygear posted:

Pasting some text from Facebook:

There's this 24-hour sandwich kiosk near my job run by a Muslim guy and during prayers, the Central American dude working at the pretzel cart next to him will step in and take over for a bit to help him out. When the pretzel guy can't, regular customers respectfully wait in line until they can be attended.

This morning some tourists wearing fanny packs and crucifixes were bitching about having to wait three minutes (he was almost done) and a freaking nun in the queue turned around and said "my brother is praying, show some respect" and before the mouthiest of the tourists could respond, this ENORMOUS Armenian construction worker who is the absolute nicest man and says good morning to everyone every single day turns around and says "Are you gonna fuckin' argue with a fuckin' nun? gently caress outta here! Yo, Sister, 'scuse my language, but Christ. Oh poo poo, I didn't mean that. I'll stop tawkin' now."

AND the Sister gave him a very sly fist bump and now I have coffee in my nasal passages.

I. Seriously. Love. This. City. Sometimes.

I actually came to this thread to post this! A super hard left-wing friend of mine posts stuff like this all the time. He's very intelligent, though he posts STDH and this was the one where I decided to poke him because I have to know why. I wrote: "Serious question. I know the world is a lovely place right now, but is it so bad that you have to resort to sharing STDH stories for some feel goods?"

Someone just replied five minutes ago: "I’m guessing the acronym stands for stuff that didn’t happen. Once again, a story with a moral flies over someone’s head."

What the hell is the moral?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The moral is "makes u think", the default fallback for people who share complete bullshit

:thunk:

The moral is that people don't care if something is true or not, they only care that it reinforces their beliefs.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

What the hell is the moral?

Good sandwiches are worth the wait.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The moral is that people don't care if something is true or not, they only care that it reinforces their beliefs.

Yeah totally. The default answer most of the time when you point out that something didn’t happen is for the storyteller to respond with “well it could have happened”.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Ugh, Virgie Tovar sucks so much. I saw a video where she claimed that asking for a smaller slice of cake, like at a birthday party, was an anti-fat microagression, and somehow also sexist, because (she says) it will always be a woman who is cutting that cake, and you're stealing her labor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
B-b-but smaller slices is more cuts.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fat Gangster, coming to Fox this fall

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Zelder posted:

Fat Gangster, coming to Fox this fall

It's The League Of Fatties

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Ugh, Virgie Tovar sucks so much. I saw a video where she claimed that asking for a smaller slice of cake, like at a birthday party, was an anti-fat microagression, and somehow also sexist, because (she says) it will always be a woman who is cutting that cake, and you're stealing her labor.

Obviously the best option is to just faceplant the cake and start chomping. That way you won't offend anyone by asking for a small slice, or exploit the host's cake-cutting labor.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/djackmanson/status/1026420057297932288

And then everyone on the tram started doing their best lightsaber moves at the cops until they got off and the driver clapped and said I am your father

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I'm the beat cop whose investigatory routine is walking up to people and asking if they committed a crime recently.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Who under the age of 70 talks about their weird medical ailments loudly in public?

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Everyone I have ever shared a bus with. :gonk:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
beep boop what is obvious joke I can't tell because I am a goon!!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Let me tell you this great stdh I heard about a duck going into a bar and asking for some grapes, who would even believe that, ducks can't even loving talk

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Let me tell you this great stdh I heard about a duck going into a bar and asking for some grapes, who would even believe that, ducks can't even loving talk

Bars don't even have grapes as far as i know. I really don't think the author thought this one through.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
That's no joke

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's no goon

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
In my experience there are no such things as ducks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sir Lemming posted:

That's no goon

It's a Space station! (Am I doing it right?)

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

In my experience there are no such things as ducks.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... i dunno some kind of duck impersonator?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

beep boop what is obvious joke I can't tell because I am a goon!!

For a joke to be funny, it should probably have at least some plausibility.

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I'm the beat cop whose investigatory routine is walking up to people and asking if they committed a crime recently.

No, it was an undercover cop who was very bad at being undercover since a random guy could tell they were a cop.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

'I made a bot do x' flavour stdh

https://imgur.com/gallery/ucV8cKl

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's a joke.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/jerrypleasure/status/1027383398573191168

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/madiwxtkins/status/1029072935208853505?s=19

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

... and yet, you just did

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It definitely lends authenticity to the story when she starts shilling her "business" after it gets a lot of likes (first thing in the comment thread). Also that the thing the girl said is apparently a reference to some band she just happens to be a fan of. Nothing suspicious there. Not surprisingly I didn't see a single person calling it fake. Twitter really wants to believe in the woke superfans of the things they like toddlers exist.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/disrespect-your-surroundings

It's apparently an old and known enough meme so. It still might've happened. Small children really love their memes, but I don't know how hot "Disrespect Your Surroundings" is. Is there a Fortnite emote of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Grandpas tell jokes sometimes and Spiderman is from the 60s. So it might be true and also Peter Parker is 69 grandpa, suck it up and go save great great aunt may.