Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
When the sky flashes blue lightning and then thunders does that mean someone has picked up a clue?

It seems like it’s indicating something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Playing solo can be fun!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Video from my first ever game on friday. My buddy has had this since it came out and was just explaining that if you get downed you wont die unless you get set on fire

https://streamable.com/97hkl

another with him https://streamable.com/9lbo8

Video with my other buddy on his first ever game https://streamable.com/u5abl

Basticle fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 12, 2018

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
A buddy of mine and myself both get similar graphical stuttering in pretty much every match. Even on the lowest settings, he gets it worse than me and his PC is far better than mine. Is there a list of easy fixes to try? He 100% won't buy it if he can't fix this and I pretty much feel the same.

e: Does queuing for a random teammate also put you into games with pre-made duos?

Roumba fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 12, 2018

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Roumba posted:

A buddy of mine and myself both get similar graphical stuttering in pretty much every match. Even on the lowest settings, he gets it worse than me and his PC is far better than mine. Is there a list of easy fixes to try? He 100% won't buy it if he can't fix this and I pretty much feel the same.

e: Does queuing for a random teammate also put you into games with pre-made duos?

lower the shaders and anti-aaliasing. Verify your installations as well. You can also lower the resolution, I have to play at 1200 to get a decent framerate.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Captain Beans posted:

When the sky flashes blue lightning and then thunders does that mean someone has picked up a clue?

It seems like it’s indicating something.

I'm assuming you're referring to when you're looking on dark sight. That means a boss has died (and a banish has started) and it's showing you the general location of the bounty. This location continues to be updated as players grab the bounty and move around the map.

When a player gets a clue there is a bit of a visual blue flash as well, but you have to be pretty dang close to see that.

Roumba posted:

I'm pretty sure that when you play a round, you can get matched with pre-made duos, matchmaking duos, or solos. It doesn't separate games into separate team categories.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 13, 2018

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I thought I'd give the game one more go while this free weekend was going on, and, uh... it quickly became a spooky and stormy night for me.

King of Bugs is a title I cannot renounce. Imgur gallery if you prefer

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Knifegrab posted:

What does this post even mean. Other players can and will kill you, killing them first is self preservation. Plus then you get a completely stress free extract.

There are tons and tons of reasons to kill other players other than dunking on nerds.

Do you play this game when weird rules of engagement? Do you think that somehow makes you more honorable? "Now I won't shoot unless you shoot me first".

I'm just surprised killing players only pays out 100XP per, compared to mopping up a bunch of easier to kill regular zombies for a pretty tidy amount with far less effort :shobon:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm just surprised killing players only pays out 100XP per, compared to mopping up a bunch of easier to kill regular zombies for a pretty tidy amount with far less effort :shobon:

I think it's 100 for tier 1 hunters, and quite a bit more for tier 2 (500xp)/ tier 3 (1000 xp). Seems a bit silly to me to not have increased payouts for increased bloodline rank, as you can start out with a tier 1 hunter and upgrade them a good amount.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 13, 2018

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Roumba posted:

Are you on windows 7? I was and had the same problem and upgrading to 10 fixed it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Well, after another couple of matches I'm sold permanently this time. Cool game. Not sure why it didn't click with me the first time.

Not sure if it's just the free weekend, but holy crap the second the match starts there's a hail of distant gunfire - I'm assuming a new guy blasting everything in sight?

Varkas posted:

Usually my plans don't work out so well as in this clip.

I was working on the spider when I hear a ruckus back at the ranch...

Awwww, I feel bad for the kid. My son's around that age.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 13, 2018

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Just had my first match. This poo poo rules, think I'm gonna try a solo game cause the people I'm getting matched with are very chatty

e: Also just running everywhere holy crap

klapman fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 13, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

klapman posted:

Just had my first match. This poo poo rules, think I'm gonna try a solo game cause the people I'm getting matched with are very chatty

e: Also just running everywhere holy crap

People get really mad about how the studio keeps encouraging movement over stealth, but it makes the game a lot better. You are 100% less likely to be killed on the first shot you hear if you're barreling across the map like a madman, which was... something that happened to me a lot as a newbie, trying to move steathily.

Chatty partners are the best because it is usually the people that never say poo poo that run off into the woods when I'm not looking and then die.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Played three hours of this with a mate due to the free weekend, man this game is good. Cheap, mechanically interesting shooter with a cool aesthetic and a surprisingly non-toxic community? Sold. Was nice going in somewhat blind and getting rumbled/discovering stuff organically. I liked how you can't really have a 'jack of all trades' setup, i hope that isn't something that goes away as you get more gear and higher level hunters. Going in with a complimentary pairing for duo's was neat.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Did my first solo game, got out with the bounty, only saw one player in the entire run.

Basically the moment the game started gunshots started going off all over the place, and instead of looking for clues, I figured I'd go ahead and try to hunt easier prey. I moved too slow, so they kept getting away from me before I could see them. Eventually, though, I went under some docks and suddenly heard a shitload of footsteps up above. I was practically having heart palpitations, so I started sneaking around, searching for an angle so I could take them down and regain my calm.

They were clearly distracted by something real nasty, because there were firebombs, lanterns, gunshots, all going off like mad. I crept my way up the docks and towards a farm, where the battle was taking place. There was a cart outside, so I parked myself there and tried to get a peek into the barn. Still, couldn't see anyone, could just hear the battle raging.

That's when I got a little bold. I crept into the farm, artfully managing to avoid both whatever was getting fought and the Hunters like an "exposed" dick in a PG movie. Then I went out into the little barnyard, and there he was. Big loving Butcher just finishing up the last of his attackers. So, like a true hero, I sprinted the gently caress out of there and crept into a shack.

Hid there for a little while before deciding I didn't want my ambush position to have a wood floor, when I saw that the barn actually had a way to get up to the loft above without me having to step foot on the first floor. Wheels turned in my head for a few seconds, and I climbed on up. Sure enough, no way for the Butcher to get to me, and it had a beautiful line on the entrance people would most likely use. There were even a couple of corpses I could use to break up my silhouette and camouflage myself.

So, around 15 minutes into the match, I turned off the lantern lighting the window with a little squeak, and waited.

With half an hour remaining, I figured everyone was gone, but I heard some gunshots, so I stayed put.

Eighteen minutes remaining, I decided that at fifteen minutes I was just going to take the Butcher down myself from my little perch if I didn't hear any more gunshots.

Fifteen minutes remaining, I did exactly that. It took a long time, but hell, I was in there solo, I wasn't about to do something risky. I plinked him away, and around nine minutes left, started to banish him. Sure enough, nobody showed up.

With five minutes left, I grabbed my trophy and started legging it towards the nearest escape. Almost got chewed up by some hellhounds, but thankfully their eyes glow like nightlights. Took them out with my handheld Mosin Precision, and all was pretty much smooth sailing till I got to the extraction point.

Two drat Armoreds just sitting there, right next to the car. So, after some careful thought, I ran in there with my shotgun and blew them both the gently caress away, keeping them busy while the timer ticked down.

That trophy was earned. :clint:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Played multiple games tonight with a varied amount of success.

But one theme cropped up each time I died: I was killed by a melee weapon.

First time I was killed by a machete.

Second death was by Romero Hatchet.

Third was by a camper who sprang out of nowhere, with what I imagine is a stamina shot who machete'd my partner right off the bat, and then swung and killed me with it.

loving. Melee. Weapons.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

If you confirm eight kills this is impossible.

This is not true, for example: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/296001557?t=6h20m

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, to be really sure that the map is clear after 8 kills, you'd have to burn each hunter shortly after you kill them.

So one other takeaway from that video...I didn't realize you could synchronize with your partner and get both of the clues if they happen to spawn at the same outpost (since normally you lose access the the 2nd one if you try to do it in sequence).

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Varkas posted:

Yeah, to be really sure that the map is clear after 8 kills, you'd have to burn each hunter shortly after you kill them.

So one other takeaway from that video...I didn't realize you could synchronize with your partner and get both of the clues if they happen to spawn at the same outpost (since normally you lose access the the 2nd one if you try to do it in sequence).

I also read on reddit that the devs have confirmed that 11 players is possible although very very rare.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

AndyElusive posted:

Played multiple games tonight with a varied amount of success.

But one theme cropped up each time I died: I was killed by a melee weapon.

First time I was killed by a machete.

Second death was by Romero Hatchet.

Third was by a camper who sprang out of nowhere, with what I imagine is a stamina shot who machete'd my partner right off the bat, and then swung and killed me with it.

loving. Melee. Weapons.

Romero hatchet is one of the strongest melee hits in the game. A charged hit will bring you down no matter where it hits you. Others, if they hit a limb, won't do 150 damage although you'll likely bleed out. :eng101:

As I mention in the OP, do NOT underestimate melee power. Often times people will panic and miss their shots - or not have enough time to pull out their shotgun which is the only realistic counter.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The guns generally fire so slowly and people dance around so loving fast, that trying to shoot someone is often impossible for me, but sooner or later that blade is gonna make contact.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basticle posted:

The guns generally fire so slowly and people dance around so loving fast, that trying to shoot someone is often impossible for me, but sooner or later that blade is gonna make contact.

:same:

I recommend to you a nice Romero Hatchet, Caldwell Rival, or Crown + King.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

:same:

I recommend to you a nice Romero Hatchet, Caldwell Rival, or Crown + King.

Pump shotty with bayonet supremacy

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Zasze posted:

I cannot deal with the RoF on that thing.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Zasze posted:

I ruined 3 bastards in a row (maybe 10sec apart) in cqc with that thing. and then the butcher for good measure.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Roumba posted:

I thought I'd give the game one more go while this free weekend was going on, and, uh... it quickly became a spooky and stormy night for me.

That's a fairly common bug. It usually goes away during the next lighting strike. I generally find I was loving around with dark vision around the same time as lighting when it gets stuck like that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Goals for this week: hunt with goons, kill people, get money, use a shotgun and melee.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Most satisfying ways to kill another hunter:
  • Dynamite
  • Mosin-Sniper headshot from extreme range
  • Knife
  • Shotgun (any type)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A few times after someone has killed me they've ended up dead thanks to rending bleed out from a shotgun blast I clipped them with before they took me out.

I've dubbed it the "Junkrat Effect"

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The only major beefs I have with the game that aren't related to performance are that throwables are still way too stealthy for AoE one-shots that just come out of nowhere, and that it super sucks you get basically no cash for a 20+ minute run every time you die. If you're doing a low-cost Hunter, you're barely breaking even on three clues and a boss down.

Which means you'll probably keep running low-cost gear, which... puts you at a disadvantage against the vets.

poo poo, you already let me keep half-XP. Let me keep half the bounties I find.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
had a game today where me and a random (both rank 12) downed spider in a two-boss map, and could hear some other guys killing the stuff above us so we set up an ambush. I threw a molotov at them as they opened the door, shotgunned the one that came in and closed the door on the one that backed out. He opened the door a second later and threw a grenade right into my head. It hits the floor and goes off, killing all of us. I found the whole thing funny as hell, and I still got the bucks and points for tracking/finding/killing/banishing spider.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Some more solo clips...

I'm enjoying blank fire decoys but this was unexpected and caused some confusion all around. I was hoping to deter the approaching duo.

And another reminder to not assume that you're alone at the start...

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have seen this happening here and there, and when me and a partner tried it it worked well for us. You start off and sprint inward, with no regards to noise and just rush the first two clues. There's almost no chance anyone who spawned adjacent to you can catch up with you because they're going to try to sneak and you're fully loud. By the time you've bumrushed clue number 2 you have a pretty good idea where 3 is, or you've hit the boss and you can dump back to normal sneak-play.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Elendil004 posted:

I have seen this happening here and there, and when me and a partner tried it it worked well for us. You start off and sprint inward, with no regards to noise and just rush the first two clues. There's almost no chance anyone who spawned adjacent to you can catch up with you because they're going to try to sneak and you're fully loud. By the time you've bumrushed clue number 2 you have a pretty good idea where 3 is, or you've hit the boss and you can dump back to normal sneak-play.

It's a legit tactic.

If you "lose" stealth for some reason - don't be half pregnant. Move as fast as you possibly can, get your clue, and get the hell of the area before the dudes who are now sniffing around for you can catch up. If you're moving fast enough anyone who has been stalking you will need to take a bad shot or be left in the dust.

It doesn't work 100% of the time, clue locations, spawn points, who's nearby and what they're packing all play into it.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I now own this.

I'll go 5 or 6 games in a row getting killed either by a guy I never knew was there until I saw the muzzleflash or getting murdered in a firefight because the low level guns are so slow, and then I'll go a game where I kill 3 guys and I dont even care about the loses and I can't stop playing oh god help

AndyElusive posted:

A few times after someone has killed me they've ended up dead thanks to rending bleed out from a shotgun blast I clipped them with before they took me out.

I've dubbed it the "Junkrat Effect"

My buddy and I were in a firefight with another 2 man team and all 4 of us died because of this.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 14, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basticle posted:

I now own this.

I'll go 5 or 6 games in a row getting killed either by a guy I never knew was there until I saw the muzzleflash or getting murdered in a firefight because the low level guns are so slow, and then I'll go a game where I kill 3 guys and I dont even care about the loses and I can't stop playing oh god help

That can happen even as you play more, sometimes you just have poo poo luck or something goes wrong.

As you play more you'll get versed in what weapons you like and learn where you're most effective. You'll get the better weapons to boot. Once you're more confident in what you're capable of you'll start to excel in most of your matches.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

These are the spawn points by the by. If anyone is getting routinely smoked a few seconds into the match, you need to start learning these areas and either assaulting them yourself or at least checking for the enemy hunters.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The only major beefs I have with the game that aren't related to performance are that throwables are still way too stealthy for AoE one-shots that just come out of nowhere

could be worse https://streamable.com/ltlrx

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

These are the spawn points by the by. If anyone is getting routinely smoked a few seconds into the match, you need to start learning these areas and either assaulting them yourself or at least checking for the enemy hunters.

I don't think I've ever been killed outside of a compound/farm

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basticle posted:

could be worse https://streamable.com/ltlrx

I don't think I've ever been killed outside of a compound/farm

The first thing I will do is check the adjacent spawns. It's very easy to wax a team that early when they're not expecting it.

Most people at higher levels will directly check the spawn and try to come up behind you, or at least have a high awareness of the direction you will be coming from.

The ones at Blanchett, Fish + Sons, and Davant ranch are frequently a shootout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also I think we need a new thread title, taking suggestions.

Hunt: Showdown - CryEngine but it's good

Hunt: Showdown - Let me run this bayou

Hunt: Showdown - Killed eight men with a $4.00 dollar shotgun

Hunt: Showdown - The 800lb spider can wait, I heard a twig break over there