Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Only two 3D console games from that era still look good. Sin & Punishment and Virtua Fighter 2.

ChaseSP posted:

The weird thing is the Saturn did pretty well in Japan all things considered. It just didn't do well in the West which is a drat same. Bunch of awesome games for that system and emulation has finally caught up.

Sega essentially killed their own console by constantly doing the dumbest business decisions possible.

From Sega of Japan forcing the "Saturnday" launch and the most difficult architecture to develop for ever on a console (only rivaled by the Atari Jaguar). To Sega of America refusing to localize anything Japanese, ESPECIALLY JRPGs. To missing (uhh...Sonic?) or weak (Shinobi and really any sports game) entries to acclaimed Genesis series. The system makes the Wii U seem to be planned by a mastermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Only two 3D console games from that era still look good. Sin & Punishment and Virtua Fighter 2.

Kirby 64

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I ended up pulling the trigger on Shovel Knight since it's only $20 on eShop at the moment. Game is fantastic and it just feels so right in handheld mode. Plays fantastically without a hitch. I'm stoked to play with all these crazy characters. I watched Plague Knight's story streamed ages ago and remember it looking like a ton of fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

To Sega of America refusing to localize anything Japanese, ESPECIALLY JRPGs.

Holy crap no wonder why Sega of America lost a lot of autonomy afterwards

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I played and beat MGS2 on pc using mouse and keyboard. The controller controls cant be any worse than that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger on Shovel Knight since it's only $20 on eShop at the moment. Game is fantastic and it just feels so right in handheld mode. Plays fantastically without a hitch. I'm stoked to play with all these crazy characters. I watched Plague Knight's story streamed ages ago and remember it looking like a ton of fun.

Shovel Knight and the expansions is god-tier gaming

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Wrong, there aren't any good Rare games

If you're going to poo poo talk Blast Corps there's going to be a problem. :toughguy:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Steve Yun posted:

Holy crap no wonder why Sega of America lost a lot of autonomy afterwards

The only reason they had some autonomy at all was because Sega of Japan wanted the system to succeed in North America after the disappointing launch in Japan, and took a "well we don't agree with anything this guy says, but if he fails we'll just fire him" (they literally said they didn't agree with anything SoA said) to the Sega of America president. Assuming that he would fail they were surprised when the system began to blow up in the country and got jealous that the Genesis did so well in America but did mediocre (at best) in Japan.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 14, 2018

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I beat the Shovel Knight story, then went off and played some other stuff but am now back playing Plague Knight. Holy poo poo, it's even more fun than the original.

Shovel Knight might my favorite game on the Switch after BotW.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just got a Switch and started playing Odyssey over the weekend and it's godlike. I love how the levels are big Mario 64-style but the main goals follow each other in a roughly linear fashion with tons of secrets to find. I lost my poo poo the first time I fell into the Deep Woods

I didn't fall into the Deep Woods until I was like 80% done with the game and it blew my loving mind.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Wave Race 64 still looks good (Nintendo make Wave Race Switch goddamnit)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

curried lamb of God posted:

Wave Race 64 still looks good (Nintendo make Wave Race Switch goddamnit)

The water in the GameCube one still looks really good.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SeANMcBAY posted:

The water in the GameCube one still looks really good.

RIP Miiverse

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

bushisms.txt posted:

Couple pages back but don't expect anything from TGS. It's their first time back, but I believe they're only doing private meetings, not an actual booth.

Wasn't there a Smash 4 announcement (I think Pac Man?) at some private investor meeting back when that was the upcoming smash game? Private meetings might still yield cool announcements

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tatsuta Age posted:

I'm sorry you feel this way

all the levels are like the inside of a cardboard box papered in very blurry textures.

If they leaned in to that, remade it look like a cardboard diorama like that canceled Yoshi game, but gave it lighting and made the characters not crude box monsters, then it could be good.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does Hollow Knight have an obvious point of no return? Or does it ever lock you out of stuff ? I've just unchained the Hollow Knight

If you want an achievement, you should try that fight sooner than later so you can get the bad/first ending - when you beat the game the save will let you load just before the final boss. It's hard to describe what triggers you not being able to do that without spoiling you though, though it's also not easy to do by accident.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

jivjov posted:

Wasn't there a Smash 4 announcement (I think Pac Man?) at some private investor meeting back when that was the upcoming smash game? Private meetings might still yield cool announcements

Investor meeting announcement was them explaining how they expected to reach a goal. This isn't that kind of visit.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-attending-the-tokyo-game-show-but-only-for-bu-1827338150 posted:

BCN Retail explains that Nintendo will be at TGS on the business days and will be taking meetings for those who schedule advance appointments.

Did the they do something to the fortnite controls? I feel like I'm fighting them now.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 14, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Man I really wanted to like codename steam but like you said, baffling choices...it was made by intelligent systems, too, so wtf

Well, if you swapped guns for swords, this is basically what I would want a 3D Fire Emblem to feel like. I really do not get how they dropped the ball so badly on STEAM.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

The only reason they had some autonomy at all was because Sega of Japan wanted the system to succeed in North America after the disappointing launch in Japan, and took a "well we don't agree with anything this guy says, but if he fails we'll just fire him" (they literally said they didn't agree with anything SoA said) to the Sega of America president. Assuming that he would fail they were surprised when the system began to blow up in the country and got jealous that the Genesis did so well in America but did mediocre (at best) in Japan.

after reading the Console Wars book about the Genesis departments in USA/Japan it's a wonder they lasted that long. The two branches hosed each other over constantly to an improbable degree. The most memorable one being how Yuji Naka told the Sonic Xtreme team to eat poo poo, couldn't use his Nights engine, thus forcing the Xtreme people to build the whole loving game OVER again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

I didn't fall into the Deep Woods until I was like 80% done with the game and it blew my loving mind.

100% same

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Mega64 posted:

Good starter jRPGs include Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy 4-6.

I think the latter two are on the snes mini so I might start there.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

with paid online services Miiverse is back!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

punk rebel ecks posted:

:wrong:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sega essentially killed their own console by constantly doing the dumbest business decisions possible.

From Sega of Japan forcing the "Saturnday" launch and the most difficult architecture to develop for ever on a console (only rivaled by the Atari Jaguar). To Sega of America refusing to localize anything Japanese, ESPECIALLY JRPGs. To missing (uhh...Sonic?) or weak (Shinobi and really any sports game) entries to acclaimed Genesis series. The system makes the Wii U seem to be planned by a mastermind.

Sega Saturn vs. Wii U: who would "win?" I mean technically the Wii U would sell more I'm sure if they had released at the same time because the graphics were better. But let's pretend the graphics are the same and go on the games. The ultimate Sega vs. Nintendo showdown! What console was the bigger stinker?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingEup posted:

I think the latter two are on the snes mini so I might start there.

Earthbound is another good one that’s on the classic. I’d play Mario, Earthbound and then FF6 (3) in that order.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Lobster posted:

:wrong:

Sega Saturn vs. Wii U: who would "win?" I mean technically the Wii U would sell more I'm sure if they had released at the same time because the graphics were better. But let's pretend the graphics are the same and go on the games. The ultimate Sega vs. Nintendo showdown! What console was the bigger stinker?

Saturn was by far the bigger turd. I say this as someone who owns and enjoys a Sega 32X

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Wii U was a failure on all continents

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Didn’t the Wii U do worse than the Dreamcast? I love the system but it’s probably Nintendo’s biggest failure after the Virtual Boy. We’re lucky it was supported as long as it was.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
WiiU is cool because all its games are new to me

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Steve Yun posted:

If you watch the My Life In Gaming channel on youtube, they have a few great videos about N64's overblurring and how some neat new hacks and mods have figured out ways to reduce the blur, including combining mods to have a complete removal of blur so that you get crunchy PS1 style textures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiHgKil8AQ

This works really effing well for some games e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krlMElf3JS8

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 14, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

Didn’t the Wii U do worse than the Dreamcast? I love the system but it’s probably Nintendo’s biggest failure after the Virtual Boy. We’re lucky it was supported as long as it was.

No Dreamcast did like 9 million, WiiU ended up around 13

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

SeANMcBAY posted:

Didnt the Wii U do worse than the Dreamcast? I love the system but its probably Nintendos biggest failure after the Virtual Boy. Were lucky it was supported as long as it was.

According to VGChartz (lol) Wii U outsold the Dreamcast by 5 million, 13.97 to 8.20. That doesn't sound right to me though. Let's check Wikipedia: 13.67 to 9.26. Dang. I could've sworn the Dreamcast cracked 10 million.

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dreamcast did insanely badly and was discontinued after like 2.5 years, which is too bad because it was a fantastic system that was light years ahead of anybody else graphically and had some amazing games

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
In high school freshman year we had to do a "time capsule" kinda thing where you keep a bunch of random notes and stuff and then open it 4 years later when you graduate, and one of the things was you had to write a letter to your parents and in mine I just talked about how my dad and I had rented a Dreamcast and how crazy good the graphics were in NFL2K and how I wondered what the graphics would look like in 4 years.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Hey when is Powerstone 2 getting a Switch port?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Plus if you're talking about sheer numbers, the industry had grown much more by the time the WiiU rolled around

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Around the time my friend got a n64 i was playing quake on my dad’s computer and just had my mind blown with mouse aiming. Dunno how i managed to unlock all his cheat modes for him in goldeneye coz that thing ran like dogshit while holding a rubix cube of a controller.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait how did the Dreamcast fail if it sold 9 million units?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

oops

edit: I replied in the wrong window while getting mad about Canadian politics

edit 2: let's do something a little more worthwhile with this post:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Super Mario 64 is a very ugly game. God bless em they did the best they could, but it's not good to look at

Mario 64's graphics and controls and camera may not have aged the best but it was pretty mindblowing at the time. Almost everyone was trying to figure out how to do 3D stuff at that time and Mario 64 was one of the better early attempts.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 14, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Wait how did the Dreamcast fail if it sold 9 million units?

The Wii U failed and it sold more.

Also iirc piracy was stupid easy with the Dreamcast and it came out right around the time CDRs started getting really popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

lelandjs posted:

The Wii U failed and it sold more.

Also iirc piracy was stupid easy with the Dreamcast and it came out right around the time CDRs started getting really popular.

Yeah, the attach rate was atrocious. It wasn't the DRM that fell to a sharpie, but the check was for something that CDR tools quickly enabled. I want to say it was checking for the Audio track on the inside?

• Locked thread