Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
All of you group up and smash the place with root + pets. Easiest group ever at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

diapermeat posted:

I've been sitting in CB as a lvl 9 enchanter with 5 other enchanters LFG. Regretting my choice to level one :(

The first 11 levels are terrible. then you get charm, and never look back. It's a bit risky starting out, but the beautiful thing about CHA gear is it's pretty cheap for decent boosts. if you can get your CHA to something like 170ish you should be fine. Hit me up in game (Taciturn) if you need any tips/some starting gear. I should still have some stuff laying around.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
before kunark dropped whirl would perma stun a single target, was pretty hilarious how broken that spell was

even with a summoned dw pet it was like free exp

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a Dragonscales (Azdalin) for sale?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I swear I saw one before but for the life of me I can't find it now.

Does anyone have a good texture pack that they use? I know I saw a link to a good one awhile ago.

Just looking to clean things up a bit.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Fangthane posted:

The first 11 levels are terrible. then you get charm, and never look back. It's a bit risky starting out, but the beautiful thing about CHA gear is it's pretty cheap for decent boosts. if you can get your CHA to something like 170ish you should be fine. Hit me up in game (Taciturn) if you need any tips/some starting gear. I should still have some stuff laying around.

That'd be awesome, I'll probably be online tonight. I hope I didn't screw myself too bad with picking a gnome, and not slotting all my points into CHA.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

diapermeat posted:

That'd be awesome, I'll probably be online tonight. I hope I didn't screw myself too bad with picking a gnome, and not slotting all my points into CHA.
Gnome is a good choice if you want to do tinkering, otherwise the two powergamey choices are DE for racial hide (nice for breaking charm without needing to buy a clicky invis/have invis memmed) and HIE for arguably the best stats. If your base CHA is under 90, you might want to reroll, because it will be pretty tough to pack on enough CHA items to safely charm without a lot of cash.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Gnome is a good choice if you want to do tinkering, otherwise the two powergamey choices are DE for racial hide (nice for breaking charm without needing to buy a clicky invis/have invis memmed) and HIE for arguably the best stats. If your base CHA is under 90, you might want to reroll, because it will be pretty tough to pack on enough CHA items to safely charm without a lot of cash.

Yeah just checked, 80 cha.. ugh

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Nah. Most enchanter gear has both int and charisma on it, and individual items with charisma are fairly easy to make / come by. The pants from Solusek bar, robe from Crystal Caverns, Sarnak Arcane Fetish, some bracers and rings, none of those cost tons and offer quite a boost. Also, charisma is a far third in a threesome of checks, after Magic Resistance and level difference, that a mob has to succeed to break charm (which it tries to every six seconds). Unless you plan on consistently having a hasted pet that can kill you and your party in seconds when it breaks, it is not necessary to heavily stack charisma. Having 180 charisma unbuffed at 50 is just fine.

Also definitely do not be that guy with 130 int and 255 charisma who at 45 ran oom buffing and mezzing in a group.

That said, race doesn't matter one bit. Deity does: if you do not pick agnostic, some NPCs will have lower faction with you regardless of illusion and faction spells.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Gnomes have an awesome bug where their view clips through walls in first person mode. You can use gnome illusion to do this too but it's nice just having it by default

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah, enchanters should always be agnostic

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Agnostic is for cowards

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dark Elf for encs for the same reason as halfling for druid: racial hide means you can hit a button and afk at will forever in 98% of the world. It's a major QOL thing and no stats or items can ever really make up for it imo.

Halfling also gets racial sneak, which lets you do various pet pulls in end game no other druid race can do.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

Unrest is in Faydwer, port to butcherblock-> dagnors lovely cauldron -> estate of unrest.

Yeah 20's through 30-odd is inside the house. Starting with first floor, then second floor, then basement.

Mistmoore starts a little higher than the Unrest yard trash, and goes Lake, graveyard, castle entrance, courtyard... not sure what comes after courtyard. It's located off of LFay, so you'd go GFay->LFay->Mistmoore or Steamfont->Lfay->Mistmoore. BB and GFay share a border.

Word, thanks, so as a level 26 Shaman I should be able to find groups there more or less? I'd like to tuck into a nice leveling session, I haven't done that in ages

ed: I'm logged in around 945AM est and there are tons of people in Highhold Keep (well, 17, but thats a few groups) which is pretty good. I suggest anyone in their late 20s come around here before schlepping all the way back to Unrest if you're in the neighborhood

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 10, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Finding groups as a shaman is easy.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Any goon guilds have a desire to do triggered trakanon to farm BPs?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Zodium posted:

Halfling also gets racial sneak, which lets you do various pet pulls in end game no other druid race can do.

Yep, I actually dragged a failed raid from under lady vox with my halfer druid way back in the day.

I wonder if that works on p99.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Zodium posted:

Dark Elf for encs for the same reason as halfling for druid: racial hide means you can hit a button and afk at will forever in 98% of the world. It's a major QOL thing and no stats or items can ever really make up for it imo.

I'll probably slog through my gnome enc. until I can get some gear and then maybe think about leveling another race.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

KingFisher posted:

Any goon guilds have a desire to do triggered trakanon to farm BPs?

Yes, please.

MarcusSA posted:

Does anyone have a good texture pack that they use? I know I saw a link to a good one awhile ago.

Just looking to clean things up a bit.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2482

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 10, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks have you used this one?

I did use this one here

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280545

And it really does clean things up a bit. I'm gonna check that other one out later today.

Also how the gently caress do I have like 2.5 days played on a level 12 bard? What has this game done to me??

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I want to get back into P99 but I’m trying to decide what to do:

-Push my 54 iksar necro to 60.
-Keep leveling my L20 DEX/Ghoulbane smiting gimmick paladin.
-Keep leveling my L20 Ranger so I can do track mob farming.
-Sell a bunch of stuff and start my gimmick ultra regen fungi troll warrior that levels purely in Innothule Swamp / Upper Guk / Lower Guk.

Halp. :saddowns:

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks have you used this one?

I did use this one here

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280545

And it really does clean things up a bit. I'm gonna check that other one out later today.

I did install a character model update. I assumed I had used the character model updates mentioned in the link I included; but, given that link doesn't work anymore, I probably did use those models you linked. I like them. They look a lot better.

Siets posted:

-Sell a bunch of stuff and start my gimmick ultra regen fungi troll warrior that levels purely in Innothule Swamp / Upper Guk / Lower Guk.

This, but Shaman.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I did install a character model update. I assumed I had used the character model updates mentioned in the link I included; but, given that link doesn't work anymore, I probably did use those models you linked. I like them. They look a lot better.

This, but Shaman.

Yeah I installed both updates and it really does clean the game up without taking away the original feel.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
camped pyzjn for the first time, got the glowing black stone on her second spawn in 1 night. thats some real satisfying poo poo right there.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

cmdrk posted:

camped pyzjn for the first time, got the glowing black stone on her second spawn in 1 night. thats some real satisfying poo poo right there.

Go play the lottery.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

cmdrk posted:

You can do better.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Came into subforum, saw EQ, reinstalled and logged into my P1999 accounts. I certainly don't remember leveling either of these guys but this was pre-Kunark I believe because if Kunark was out I would have likely rolled the necro as iksar.

Anyway, may login and check things out later this week.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I am really digging the trip down memory lane but the one thing that does suck is how if you play at weird times good luck finding a group lol.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Any goons offering pleveling services? PM me.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

retpocileh posted:

Any goons offering pleveling services? PM me.

What class, and from what level to what level, and how fast are you looking for this?

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Pratan posted:

What class, and from what level to what level, and how fast are you looking for this?

Looking to get a necro from 6-36ish, ASAP. Looks like I can't PM you, wanna shoot me an email at s.bergman.trees@gmail.com ?

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 15, 2018

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Don't get banned, you guys.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

retpocileh posted:

Looking to get a necro from 6-36ish, ASAP. Looks like I can't PM you, wanna shoot me an email at s.bergman.trees@gmail.com ?

I got a Necro to 20 fairly quickly by doing Blackburrow from 4-14ish, then Jackolanterns/Misty in West Karana 14-20.

There are faster ways I'm sure, but Gnoll Fangs are still ridiculous xp if you can do the quest. Though I guess there's probably a 99% chance you're an Iksar in which case no bueno.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

retpocileh posted:

Sorry, I can't help ASAP, I'm fairly busy until Sunday. If you need help later, let me know.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Pratan posted:

Sorry, I can't help ASAP, I'm fairly busy until Sunday. If you need help later, let me know.

Thanks man, will do.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MarcusSA posted:

Hello fellow insane friends!

I just started playing this weekend and I first started a Druid was is ok?

I did some reading and decided to give the Bard class a try which seems to be going better? gently caress if I know.

Sooooooooo I know people create macros for their songs and poo poo but does anyone have a good resource for learning to play the bard? Like I understand the need for macros and stuff but I'm just trying to figure out how to use them the best. I'm only level 8 right now but I am going to assume poo poo gets a lot more complicated.

the P99 wiki is ok but does anyone have anything better? Maybe some Youtoob videos or whatever?

Thank you for your support in my time of need.

Sooo I guess I missed this?

http://wiki.project1999.com/Thrasos'_Bard_Guide

Gonna read that now but any extra information would be great!

Bard is kind of an odd duck because nothing else really plays like it. They can't DoT like a necro, buff like a shaman, crowd control like a chanter, or do damage like a wizard/rogue, but they are so goddamned versatile and consistent if played well that it doesn't matter. Once you get to a certain level they have multiple ways to solo and you can adjust accordingly to your zone/situation. Despite being a good soloer, they are still deeply desired for group content because haste, mana, crowd control, and move speed is baller. If you get a handle on it you can do insane poo poo like swarm kiting large chunks of several zones essentially by running away from things while tooting a horn and/or luting at them until they die. You get a constant trickle of new spells rather than getting them at certain levels and a lot of the spells you get are useful way past the point you level beyond it due to how they scale both with level and instrument.

As far as advice: Get a Lute of the Gypsy Princess and Mistmoore battle drum as soon as possible. They both generally run 50pp or so and are generally the best drum and lute you can get before endgame/planar gear or dropping multiple thousands of platinum. When you inspect an instrument the number that comes after the "Stringed/Percussion/whatever Instrument" indicates the multiplier it has on songs of that type vs singing. Something that lists "Stringed instruments 22" for example is a flat 2.2x multiplier to damage/buff values/healing for your stringed instruments songs (like Chords of Dissonance and your regen song for example). More often than not in groups I don't even switch to melee weapons over playing buffed songs instead.

Learn to twist your songs. Generally speaking you can keep up around 3 effects reasonably consistently. Don't use keybinds directly for your spells because you have to click them twice, once to stop the previous song, once to start the new one. Instead make a macro that looks like this:

/stopsong
/cast #

Where the # is the gem slot the song takes up. It'll automatically kill your previous song and start up the next one without having to hit the button twice.

At early levels your regen song is gold in places like Crushbone and Unrest. You don't have mana song yet, your healers have generally poo poo mana pools and poor mp regen, and everyone gets banged up on bigger pulls so the extra 6-10 hp/tick is one of the best ways to keep downtime to a minimum. Between 10-14 in CB I didn't even equip my melee weapon, it was the lute and regen song and chords of dissonance all day every day with the occasional limp wristed elf slap if I was feeling saucy.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Also remember that bard melee never gets good at all so you're almost always better off using instruments and you don't need to really waste your plat on weapons.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I played a Bard to 50 on Red. It was pretty fun, but my problem with it is it's a poo poo ton of micro to play a Bard well. Because Bards can twist several songs at once which means you're gonna be constantly mashing keys if you wanna be at peak performance.

Their tool kit is a lot of fun though. Charm, speed, heals, mana regen, haste, mez. You can pretty much do it all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Bard is kind of an odd duck because nothing else really plays like it. They can't DoT like a necro, buff like a shaman, crowd control like a chanter, or do damage like a wizard/rogue, but they are so goddamned versatile and consistent if played well that it doesn't matter. Once you get to a certain level they have multiple ways to solo and you can adjust accordingly to your zone/situation. Despite being a good soloer, they are still deeply desired for group content because haste, mana, crowd control, and move speed is baller. If you get a handle on it you can do insane poo poo like swarm kiting large chunks of several zones essentially by running away from things while tooting a horn and/or luting at them until they die. You get a constant trickle of new spells rather than getting them at certain levels and a lot of the spells you get are useful way past the point you level beyond it due to how they scale both with level and instrument.

As far as advice: Get a Lute of the Gypsy Princess and Mistmoore battle drum as soon as possible. They both generally run 50pp or so and are generally the best drum and lute you can get before endgame/planar gear or dropping multiple thousands of platinum. When you inspect an instrument the number that comes after the "Stringed/Percussion/whatever Instrument" indicates the multiplier it has on songs of that type vs singing. Something that lists "Stringed instruments 22" for example is a flat 2.2x multiplier to damage/buff values/healing for your stringed instruments songs (like Chords of Dissonance and your regen song for example). More often than not in groups I don't even switch to melee weapons over playing buffed songs instead.

Learn to twist your songs. Generally speaking you can keep up around 3 effects reasonably consistently. Don't use keybinds directly for your spells because you have to click them twice, once to stop the previous song, once to start the new one. Instead make a macro that looks like this:

/stopsong
/cast #

Where the # is the gem slot the song takes up. It'll automatically kill your previous song and start up the next one without having to hit the button twice.

At early levels your regen song is gold in places like Crushbone and Unrest. You don't have mana song yet, your healers have generally poo poo mana pools and poor mp regen, and everyone gets banged up on bigger pulls so the extra 6-10 hp/tick is one of the best ways to keep downtime to a minimum. Between 10-14 in CB I didn't even equip my melee weapon, it was the lute and regen song and chords of dissonance all day every day with the occasional limp wristed elf slap if I was feeling saucy.

This is excellent thanks!

Yeah really the most I've been able to keep up at once is 4 songs but missing a note sucks.

I'm just getting used to hitting 2-3-4-5 in a row over and over haha.

It does make things interesting though and I'll look into saving some money and getting those instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Dex helps some with missing notes and Cha helps some with charm resists and vendor sell prices, but largely bards are really not gear dependent aside from your instruments. The difference between being in full cloth armor and full fine steel doesn't really mean a lot to you. If you're swarm kiting and something catches up to you, you're getting bash stunned and then two dozen things catch up with you and trample your rear end in the dirt no matter what your gear looks like. If you get some cash or someone willing to twink you, look to pick up cheap things with +hp, +dex, +cha, and +strength (for carry weight, platemail is obnoxiously heavy) roughly in that order. A dragoon dirk to throw in your range slot is worthwhile. See if someone will drag you to lower guk for a Mask of Deception. Drake Hide Leggings will be your jam. Any of the +hp crafted jewelry will be the thing you want.