Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Unlike the goons who write pages-long screeds about star wars and transformers. That’s quintessentially proletarian.

No War but Star War, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I only watch films that have either a melting face or an exploding head so I don't actually post in any of those sort of threads. Though as far as I know they're all basically SMG posting huge tomes and randos trying to argue with him.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That David Walliams played Brian's terrifying ex, Vulva in 'Spaced'.

In my defence I haven't watched it in years; I just started remembering bits of the episode a few days ago when something reminded me of it - probably a bag of twiglets.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
In Christoper Cross’ “Sailing,” the line, “the canvas can do miracles” refers to the sails of a sailboat, not a painting on canvas.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I had this great epiphany that the Payday candy bar is named after the old phrase “working for peanuts”. Then I looked it up, and they just didn’t have a name by Friday, so some guy just said “It’s payday. Let’s call it Payday” and everyone said sure.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

I had this great epiphany that the Payday candy bar is named after the old phrase “working for peanuts”. Then I looked it up, and they just didn’t have a name by Friday, so some guy just said “It’s payday. Let’s call it Payday” and everyone said sure.

This was me with "Baby Ruth". It's named after an actual baby, not Babe Ruth.
Also your original Payday idea woked better than reality and they should have gone with that explanation.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

bulletsponge13 posted:

Growing up, the phrase "a couple of -blank-" says meant more than two, less than five. Turns out it was just my family, and to all rational people, a couple means two.

Same.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
About a year or so ago I realized that in the world of music, Chris Brown is not Bobby Brown. That cleared up a whole lot of confusion.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

both are abusers tho

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Krankenstyle posted:

both are abusers tho

No to be confused with Bobbi Brown makeup. Yes, there is a Bobbi Brown Black Eyeliner.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Baby Ruth is named after Babe Ruth but they made up that other story so they wouldn't have to pay him

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
"Sultans of Swing" is by Dire Straits not Blue Oyster Cult. I'm no better than the people who think "Sex and Candy" is by Nirvana.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Howard Hawks and Howard Hughes are not quite the same person.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

"Sultans of Swing" is by Dire Straits not Blue Oyster Cult. I'm no better than the people who think "Sex and Candy" is by Nirvana.

Legend_of_Zelda_System_of_a_Down.mp3

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

The North Tower posted:

No to be confused with Bobbi Brown makeup. Yes, there is a Bobbi Brown Black Eyeliner.

I saw that some years ago and assumed Bobbi Kristina Brown was its patron/ founder.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I'm no better than the people who think "Sex and Candy" is by Nirvana.

Nobody is that dumb

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I mean, if we could go back in time, I’d love to hear a Nirvana cover of Sex and Candy though.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Legend_of_Zelda_System_of_a_Down.mp3

To be fair, it does kind of sound like them.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I realized today that the names for the Washington Wizards and Mystics are related.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bamhand posted:

I realized today that the names for the Washington Wizards and Mystics are related.

Many of the WNBA teams at least started out as having similar names and uniforms to their NBA counterparts. See also:

Detroit Shock (Pistons)
Minnesota Lynx (Timberwolves)
San Antonio Silver Stars (Spurs)
Phoenix Mercury (Suns)
Sacramento Monarchs (Kings)
Houston Comets (Rockets)
Charlotte Sting (Hornets)
Miami Sol (Heat)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Heavy in TF2 was probably saying 'khorosho' and not 'Horror show' like I'd been hearing it as instead...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I learned that from A Clockwork Orange. Little Alex calls things "real horror show", and it was many years later when I was dating a Russian girl that she used the word and I made the connection.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah the slang in Clockwork Orange is chock full of borrowed, bastardized and Frankensteined Russian, so you discovered a fun little linguistic secret.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Memento posted:

I learned that from A Clockwork Orange. Little Alex calls things "real horror show", and it was many years later when I was dating a Russian girl that she used the word and I made the connection.
My friend and I were reading the book at the same time in high school, and I didn't realize until we were almost done that her edition had a glossary in the back. Since I was about to go to college for a linguistics degree, I didn't much mind having to do the heavy lifting myself. :shobon: I still catch myself calling slippers "toofles" sometimes, or talking about kots and koshkas.

A few years later, though, I was very grateful for the glossary in my copy of Trainspotting.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

A few years later, though, I was very grateful for the glossary in my copy of Trainspotting.

I had to flip to that glossary so many times, but I thought it was worth it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Walter Matthau was not a news anchor-turned-actor, and was in fact never a news anchor at all—I think I somehow combined him and Walter Cronkite into one person. I can't really explain this one, because I wasn't confused about who Walter Cronkite was.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Walter Matthau was not a news anchor-turned-actor, and was in fact never a news anchor at all—I think I somehow combined him and Walter Cronkite into one person. I can't really explain this one, because I wasn't confused about who Walter Cronkite was.

Huh, low key blowing my mind here. Even though I know who Walter Cronkite is. Weird.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Uh. Very weirdly, same.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So in Spelunky, the little bit of flavour text that pops up to let you know the alien mothership is in the level is 'Feels like the fourth of July'. It's not some weird reference to fireworks I wasn't getting - the alien enemies shoot exploding lasers and their ships explode on death :shrug: - but to the loving movie

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gitro posted:

So in Spelunky, the little bit of flavour text that pops up to let you know the alien mothership is in the level is 'Feels like the fourth of July'. It's not some weird reference to fireworks I wasn't getting - the alien enemies shoot exploding lasers and their ships explode on death :shrug: - but to the loving movie

Independence Day?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ferris Buellers Day Off actually.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Born on the Fourth of July, obviously. Because Tom Cruise is a Scientologist.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Len posted:

Independence Day?

gently caress, I hope so

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Donald Trump is the President of The United Sates.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Anna Pavlova, famous for the cake named after her. Her surname is just the female version of Ivan Pavlov, famous for his dribbling dogs, last name.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I felt really dumb when I realised this, but hermaphrodite comes from the parents of the original Hermaphroditus, Hermes and Aphrodite.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How dare you.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

How dare you.

You're not weaseling out of child support that easily

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh my god. I've just realised in the song "Daria" by Cake, he's not singing

"I won't be soothed over like,
Smoothed over like milk,
Silk, a bedspread, or a quilt,
I sing on a cake,
Or a serene translucent lake."

He's singing ICING ON A CAKE. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh my god. I've just realised in the song "Daria" by Cake, he's not singing

"I won't be soothed over like,
Smoothed over like milk,
Silk, a bedspread, or a quilt,
I sing on a cake,
Or a serene translucent lake."

He's singing ICING ON A CAKE. :doh:

Fun fact:
That song is about a radio DJ in Portland.

Well, that's the story I heard at least.