Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sankis posted:

haha gently caress. I was looking at PenBbs stuff and came across their inks. They have one called "The burning of the white house 1814" and another called 45 POTUS that's a poo poo brown

https://vanness1938.com/products/penbbs-269-45th-potus-ink?variant=7542384197662

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
It's more like "man of the earth" brown to me. Like mixing 50% blood and 50% soil. :colbert:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So I just got an 80% off anything at Office Depot card. Unfortunately it only works in store. Anyone have experience with them discounting expensive pens? I’d love to get a Metal Falcon or Vanishing Point for 50.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Velius posted:

So I just got an 80% off anything at Office Depot card. Unfortunately it only works in store. Anyone have experience with them discounting expensive pens? I’d love to get a Metal Falcon or Vanishing Point for 50.

I know that 30% coupons work on fountain pens there.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I can't imagine they actually carry pens that expensive in store, do they? I thought metro range was about the extent of it.

Speaking of discounted pens, though, what are some other good import deals similar to how the Platinum 3776 can be found much cheaper on japan? I think I heard that the Custom 91(?) can also be found quite cheap but are there any others?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sankis posted:

I can't imagine they actually carry pens that expensive in store, do they? I thought metro range was about the extent of it.

Speaking of discounted pens, though, what are some other good import deals similar to how the Platinum 3776 can be found much cheaper on japan? I think I heard that the Custom 91(?) can also be found quite cheap but are there any others?

Looks like the one near me goes up to about $50 cross pens.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sankis posted:

Most of the pens as well as inks from the big 3 Japanese makers (Pilot, Platinum, Sailor) can be found cheaper from Japanese sellers. Check eBay or Amazon US.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Figured I'd post my pelican 140 I just got.
Came filled with unknown ink.
Paper is random lovely printer paper.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 7, 2018

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

So who's going to be at San Francisco's show this year?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

tater_salad posted:

Figured I'd post my pelican 140 I just got.
Came filled with unknown ink.
Paper is random lovely printer paper.

[...]

Keep trying. You'll get the hang of swearing eventually.

(Seriously, I'm jealous. I've been keeping half an eye out for a vintage Pelikan for a little bit now. I'll probably just go to the Ohio Pen Show to get one. And that looks a lot like 4001 blue.)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

atholbrose posted:

Keep trying. You'll get the hang of swearing eventually.

(Seriously, I'm jealous. I've been keeping half an eye out for a vintage Pelikan for a little bit now. I'll probably just go to the Ohio Pen Show to get one. And that looks a lot like 4001 blue.)

I figured it'd be a better "writing test" instead of a bunch of lorem ipsum.. I need to spend some time doing handwriting practice or something.. I've got 2 beautiful pens (a Vacumatic and a 140) and my handwriting is pure trash.

I like that the 2 "sexy" vintage pens I own aren't 100% mint collector pens, they go in my pen case with everything else and get some use while they look pretty.

edit: I paid a little more for this pen than I had initially thought of as my low ball "aww fuckit" offer but happy I put the bid in.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 7, 2018

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

atholbrose posted:

There are pretty good deals on German eBay pretty much all the time. 80-90 Euros should be enough to get, say, a 400NN with a fancy nib like a bold oblique that's ready to write immediately.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I got my 140 for 77usd shipped to USA with the slow shipping.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

This is a really specific request, but here goes nothing: Does anyone have a recommendation for a pen that has a large grip circumference, is a little more attractive than a Lamy, and under $100? My hands are so big that anything under 12mm makes my hand cramp after just a few minutes of writing which, unfortunately, seems to be the majority of the pens I've tried.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A Guider Super Zimbo perhaps? Fountain Pen Revolution sells some other massive Indian made pens too.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Chip McFuck posted:

This is a really specific request, but here goes nothing: Does anyone have a recommendation for a pen that has a large grip circumference, is a little more attractive than a Lamy, and under $100? My hands are so big that anything under 12mm makes my hand cramp after just a few minutes of writing which, unfortunately, seems to be the majority of the pens I've tried.

I've been looking for this too. No one makes nice oversized pens outside of 'grail' range with a couple exceptions.

The jinhao 159 is basically what I want in a pen but nicer and not $900 for the montblanc it copies

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chip McFuck posted:

Jinhao 159

Jinhao X750

Hero 91

Wing Sung 590

Huashi 90

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

tater_salad posted:

I figured it'd be a better "writing test" instead of a bunch of lorem ipsum.. I need to spend some time doing handwriting practice or something.. I've got 2 beautiful pens (a Vacumatic and a 140) and my handwriting is pure trash.

I usually use Kubla Khan, or the first few lines of The Hobbit.

And thanks, y'all -- after my next paycheck, I guess I'll be checking German eBay, 'cause it's not like I haven't spent enough on pens recently or anything.

I just got in a package of the new J. Herbin inks, and let me say: Vert de Gris is the color I was hoping Lamy Petrol was.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't even need to look at German eBay.. most of the pelikan pens I saw were not US and they showed up fine.. you may have better results doing the German version though.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

I didn't even need to look at German eBay.. most of the pelikan pens I saw were not US and they showed up fine.. you may have better results doing the German version though.

Ah yeah I should've clarified. You don't need to go on ebay.de to find German sellers - I just meant that the German sellers tend to have good stuff.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a pen case? I don't need anything super fancy. I just want something that'll fit 12-24 pens and protect them decently.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Kessel posted:

So who's going to be at San Francisco's show this year?

Me, hopefully!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sankis posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a pen case? I don't need anything super fancy. I just want something that'll fit 12-24 pens and protect them decently.

Based on the quality of the 10 slot Aston Leather case I use, you probably wouldn't go wrong with their 20 pen case. It is a little on the spendy side relative to some of the other options though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My gf got me a lanxivi case and it's held up to 2 years of going in and out of my work bag daily..

https://amzn.to/2nq9yGB

They seem to have 3/12/48 pen cases in the 15-25 dollar range..

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Those are pretty generic cases and sold by a wide variety of sellers. "Lanxivi" is the name of the importer, not the brand. Chinese companies do that a lot. I have one of the 48 pen cases, it's decent enough but the zipper can be a little fiddly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

grack posted:

Those are pretty generic cases and sold by a wide variety of sellers. "Lanxivi" is the name of the importer, not the brand. Chinese companies do that a lot. I have one of the 48 pen cases, it's decent enough but the zipper can be a little fiddly.

It's what the name is ob my case so they have at least something to do with it's creation.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Uh, no, not likely. If you're ordering things in the thousands it's not that difficult to get the factory to emboss a name on them.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

grack’s correct in this instance. If you’re pulling enough pieces they will happily emboss whatever you want on the case and might not even charge for it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Right but my statement is if I'm buying 1000 of something from a factory put my brand on it and resell aren't I the brand?

Like store brand poo poo is going to most likely be general Mills cereal.but it's still the stores brand of cereal. That's all I'm saying, but this is a pointless argument. Is bulow not a brand? it's just a jinhao with a different collar and name stamped on the nib.

The cases I linked are good pens have come in and out of it daily and the case goes in my laptop work bag with lots of other poo poo and they hold up well.

Pens are good

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

tater_salad posted:

Right but my statement is if I'm buying 1000 of something from a factory put my brand on it and resell aren't I the brand?

Like store brand poo poo is going to most likely be general Mills cereal.but it's still the stores brand of cereal. That's all I'm saying, but this is a pointless argument. Is bulow not a brand? it's just a jinhao with a different collar and name stamped on the nib.

The cases I linked are good pens have come in and out of it daily and the case goes in my laptop work bag with lots of other poo poo and they hold up well.

Pens are good

I could try to lie, but I don't really understand what you are arguing for or against.

Nobody is attacking you, and I don't know what you are trying to defend yourself from.

Anyhow, it's always a good idea to use some sort of protection for your relatively most valued personal possessions, if you don't want them to get messed up. It's like using a condom and penicillin when you are hooking up with a ratchet person.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I ordered and got the Sailor Souboku ink, which is a greyish-blue-black with the tiniest hint of green. It doesn't have the bold, saturated look of my favorite Iroshizuku inks, but their waterproof and quick drying claims are accurate. A soaked q-tip barely smudges the ink at all. In contrast, Noodler's Zhivago smudges a good deal (though it's readable) with the q-tip test, while Iroshizuku Kon-Peki smudges with a dry finger and a soaked q-tip can render the words barely readable.

Souboku isn't the prettiest ink when dry because it's kind of washed out, but it does have decent shading. I'm going to try shaking up the bottle since it's a different makeup than other inks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I sent Lamy an email asking them to consider making their next Safari color Orange, since it will have been 10 years since they last did it. They sent me this:

quote:

Dear Mr. Shark,
Thank you for your color proposal.
Unfortunately, we will not relaunch orange in the near future.
We did this already two times.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

C. Josef Lamy GmbH

i.V.

Marco Achenbach
Leiter Produktmanagement/Entwicklung

It's a secondary color! Do it again instead of another blue!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They did an orange Alstar in 2015. It's lovely. Can't speak for Safari though.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I want Pelikan to do another burnt orange color.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So I went to Japan a couple weeks ago and I might've gone a bit overboard with buying pens and inks.

Sadly I won't get to try the Sailor Shigure as it's a gift

This one I mixed myself at Inkstand in Asakusabashi. The notebook I made at their sister store, Kakimori.

They're really nice stores and their have their own (rebranded) pens. You can make your own notebooks and inks. It's a really good time!

Here's my custom ink on the banker paper in the custom notebook.

And here are the pens I bought. I know the Kakimori one is a rebranded Sailor pen, but I'm not sure which. It writes pretty nicely though. I also love how the EF Kakuno nib writes, maybe even more than a metro.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

And here are the pens I bought. I know the Kakimori one is a rebranded Sailor pen, but I'm not sure which. It writes pretty nicely though. I also love how the EF Kakuno nib writes, maybe even more than a metro.

Is it the Profit Junior?
https://www.jetpens.com/Sailor-Profit-Jr.-Toh-Mei-Kan-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Fine-Nib/pd/21952

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
What’s a good price to pay for a used lamy 2000? There’s one with an ink stain and a piston cap that has “some slack” - for $95, worth it? I’d like to pick one up and should have the money to order for £104/$130ish new and shipped from cultpens in a few weeks, but wondering if I should just buy the used one and save some money.

Looking at eBay I bet if I’m patient I could probably get one without defects for $100. Not willing to trust that Serbian seller though unless someone here knows better.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Looks like that's the guy. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Heath posted:

They did an orange Alstar in 2015. It's lovely. Can't speak for Safari though.

Yeah, I have one, it's great! I want to use my Safaris as everyday pens, which tend to get a lot of wear, so plastic is a better option.

Maybe I'll just have a beer too many some night and post a thread on FPN or go on German eBay or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Fun pictures

Is the Kakimori the one with the smiley face nib? I want that one. If I ever commission a line of fountain pens, I want to get nibs stamped with :v:

Also, shaking up the Sailor Souboku ink in the bottle makes it looks much less washed out.