Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Is that Charlie Kelly's uncle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Rape Stink posted:

Is that Charlie Kelly's uncle?

Jack Kelly knows a bad lawyer when he sees one.

edit: or maybe not :stare:

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 14, 2018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

hahaha wow

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Jimmy is such a great character jesus christ

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
ok what the gently caress Jimmy!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Herv posted:

ok what the gently caress Jimmy!

He actively wanted to avoid the will meeting

ed: and now she's yelling at Howard, lol. Jimmy's gonna be screwed when she finds out the truth

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Kim is legitimately my favorite character on television.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Kim is on a warpath

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So that was the "Best Actress Emmy, Please!" scene, right?

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Kim's such an amazing character. I'm gonna be sad when Jimmy completely destroys her life.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Holy cow what a performance

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chris James 2 posted:

He actively wanted to avoid the will meeting

ed: and now she's yelling at Howard, lol. Jimmy's gonna be screwed when she finds out the truth

I think it would be really dumb if Kim left Jimmy over something he did that would have happened on its own anyways, especially because she really, really understands how bad Chuck hosed Jimmy up.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It’s really gonna suck when Kim dies

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

So that was the "Best Actress Emmy, Please!" scene, right?

I mean, you're not wrong. Throw her a nomination at the very least please! Hope Rhea gets just all the good roles after this, want it to put her on the map the way Breaking Bad did for Cranston and Paul.

I was also not expecting her to come down so hard on Howard and I hadn't thought about the timing of it, though I absolutely should have since I had someone lay some heavy poo poo on me the day I found out my only uncle died, and they absolutely knew I'd just found out but still thought hey, this is the time to get on his case. That's just a real fragile time, and Howard really was a dick to lay that out there right then.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my main hope at this point is that Kim dying tragically is a far too easy and obvious narrative option for her character

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welp, gently caress, rough break Nacho

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Goddamn Fring is such a badass.

It’s also gonna suck when Nacho goes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:stare:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Well, Gus didn't waste time playing that card.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

NowonSA posted:

Well, Gus didn't waste time playing that card.

BB was also pretty quick about playing it’s hand as well.

I’ve come to expect it from VG and these writers. Quick payoffs to a bunch of the plotlines.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I had a bad feeling as soon as ponytail gang member said to Nacho they were getting six when they pulled up.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Gus getting hands on, leading from the front!

Team Nacho still alive.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I had a bad feeling as soon as ponytail gang member said to Nacho they were getting six when they pulled up.

Interesting too that the 6 kilos is kind of a misdirect for when they ambush comes, since Gus had to have been planning to kill that guy and tell Nacho he works for him now no matter what went down at the meeting.

I also think Kim's underestimating how much Jimmy likes having money, yeah it's one last screw you to him from his brother but I can see him just turning down the scholarship board and taking the simple money to avoid having to think about his brother again. I'm also convinced that Jimmy could have walked out of that will meeting with Howard with $100,000 in his pocket at minimum, if he talks to him after Rebecca leaves the room and Kim backing him up and running down Howard. I shudder to think what Jimmy could extract from someone who's still wracked by grief, feels super guilty, and is asking "what can I do to make it right?" Odenkirk described Saul on the insider podcast as a knife who goes through people and takes their money, and that seems to be very much where Jimmy's head is at now.

I guess Breaking Bad was also full of those little moments where if one person had been at a particular scene or involved in a plotline the whole story changes drastically.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 14, 2018

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"It's Jaw's 3-D, to be exact" jesus Kim is so perfect for Jimmy.
I hope the letter from Chuck is somehow even worse than what Kim thinks it is and isn't just something like "You mattered to me, Jimmy."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 14, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Jimmy setting out to rob that nice old lady in particular is one of the first truly Saul-level ideas I've seen him have, to betray someone who went the extra mile to be nice to him, appeared in his commercials, and so on. Like he's done tons of skeezy stuff but it's been either victimless or low-impact, and run on people he doesn't know that well or run for their own good (the Kettlemans). Odenkirk described Saul on the insider podcast as a knife who goes through people and takes their money, and that seems to be very much where Jimmy's head is at now.

I don't think he's planning to rob the old lady, more likely planning to rob the copier shop. The boss there said that he thinks the stuff in the display case is just his aunt's old junk, but Jimmy recognized the valuable Hummel figurine (wasn't he looking it up on the computer just before he called Mike)?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

Jimmy setting out to rob that nice old lady in particular is one of the first truly Saul-level ideas I've seen him have, to betray someone who went the extra mile to be nice to him, appeared in his commercials, and so on. Like he's done tons of skeezy stuff but it's been either victimless or low-impact, and run on people he doesn't know that well or run for their own good (the Kettlemans). Odenkirk described Saul on the insider podcast as a knife who goes through people and takes their money, and that seems to be very much where Jimmy's head is at now.

Selachian posted:

I don't think he's planning to rob the old lady, more likely planning to rob the copier shop. The boss there said that he thinks the stuff in the display case is just his aunt's old junk, but Jimmy recognized the valuable Hummel figurine (wasn't he looking it up on the computer just before he called Mike)?

He's absolutely planning to rob the copy shop. He saw how much that thing was going for and knows an easy mark when he sees one. Why would he rob the old lady?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gah you guys got to it before I could edit it out, I missed the Hummel at the copy shop and with him looking up what looked like the alpine shepherd boy my mind went right to him robbing his old client. Made the connection back to the copy shop later when I saw it brought up in a review of the episode. Whoops!

I guess weirdly messing with clients or even former clients is a line Saul seemed hesitant to cross, unless it was a real "sophie's choice" of helping one client at the detriment of another, so even on that basis I was way off jumping to that conclusion.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 14, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jimmy's been very unpredictable so far this season. Didn't expect his reaction to the cause of Chuck's suicide nor his outburst at the copy shop.

Also, for some reason I had a very strong feeling we were going to get an intense Gus moment even before they talked about taking six.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Rejecting the copy job is harder for me to decipher. Maybe he's upset that no one's calling him on his bullshit now that Chuck's gone? Maybe it was too easy for him? It's harder for me to get a read on it when he took the time to go apply for the job in the first place. Doesn't have to lie to Kim about getting an offer and being productive during the day.

I guess the easiest read is that he's still off balance from Chuck's death. I'm hoping they discuss what might be going through Jimmy's head there during the insider podcast.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 14, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Who's to say he's lying to Kim? The copy shop interview was his first of the day and as soon as he stormed out he called another place to set up an interview. He may have in fact been productive and gotten some leads.

As for why he tanked the interview, I think a lot of it is him still hosed up over Chuck, no matter how much he whistled last episode. Chuck's constant condemnation of Jimmy is that he was always looking to take the easy way out, and Jimmy seemed prepared for an uphill battle of "yes I was a lawyer, no I can no longer practice law, no I do not have any experience but let me prove to you that I am Charlie Hustle and I will not cut corners and I will be a good employee!" and then he fast-talked his way into getting a job offer on the spot. I think he was genuinely disgusted by what easy marks they were, and lashed out in part because he did not want to prove that Chuck was correct once again, from the grave.

Also if you want to do the parallel storytelling thing between the completely unrelated Jimmy and Mike storylines, both characters wanted a work situation to be done with due diligence and all of the angles covered, while potential co-workers wanted to just take the path of least resistance.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Okay that was pretty good and I’m a bit more onboard with Gus being a regular character in this show now.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Selachian posted:

Seems doubtful he'd orchestrate a robbery, I'd assume he'd send Mike in to act as the doddering old man that notices the Hummels and offers them 20 bucks a piece for them because his granddaughter loves them so much.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Edge & Christian posted:

Who's to say he's lying to Kim? The copy shop interview was his first of the day and as soon as he stormed out he called another place to set up an interview. He may have in fact been productive and gotten some leads.

As for why he tanked the interview, I think a lot of it is him still hosed up over Chuck, no matter how much he whistled last episode. Chuck's constant condemnation of Jimmy is that he was always looking to take the easy way out, and Jimmy seemed prepared for an uphill battle of "yes I was a lawyer, no I can no longer practice law, no I do not have any experience but let me prove to you that I am Charlie Hustle and I will not cut corners and I will be a good employee!" and then he fast-talked his way into getting a job offer on the spot. I think he was genuinely disgusted by what easy marks they were, and lashed out in part because he did not want to prove that Chuck was correct once again, from the grave.

Also if you want to do the parallel storytelling thing between the completely unrelated Jimmy and Mike storylines, both characters wanted a work situation to be done with due diligence and all of the angles covered, while potential co-workers wanted to just take the path of least resistance.
That entire sequence with the copier people did feel like it was him going back against himself because of the stuff Chuck has planted in his head about him being a failure.

I see we also have Chehkov's Letter being put away until a later episode, where I'm sure nothing at all will happen with it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

drat I love this show.

Gus vs. Nacho could evolve in interesting ways: Nacho wants out and Gus is a reasonable man, but what could you offer a man that's more valuable than your unquestioning service as a double agent?

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
There is definitely a deliberate shot of Kim eyeing her thermos in the scene where Jimmy makes her breakfast where she says "I'm good."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Rejecting the copy job is harder for me to decipher. Maybe he's upset that no one's calling him on his bullshit now that Chuck's gone? Maybe it was too easy for him? It's harder for me to get a read on it when he took the time to go apply for the job in the first place. Doesn't have to lie to Kim about getting an offer and being productive during the day.

I guess the easiest read is that he's still off balance from Chuck's death. I'm hoping they discuss what might be going through Jimmy's head there during the insider podcast.

On the behind the scenes on the AMC website Odenkirk's take is that they remind him of his dad w/ their willingness to buy anything

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I think it would be nice if Jimmy left the little doll on the old lady's doorstep that he screwed with.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kim tearing Howard a new one... :vince:

Goddamn I am so glad this show is back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hat Thoughts posted:

On the behind the scenes on the AMC website Odenkirk's take is that they remind him of his dad w/ their willingness to buy anything

I too would have walked out as soon as the one guy horselaughed and repeated the lawyer joke punchline verbatim to the other one. No boss of mine, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ah that does make a lot of sense, I'd chalk it up to some of Chuck's last words messing with him and a lot of that too.

MisterDuck posted:

There is definitely a deliberate shot of Kim eyeing her thermos in the scene where Jimmy makes her breakfast where she says "I'm good."

I'm not enough of a show expert to remember thermos ownership, but Jimmy takes it with him when he goes out: she's looking at the thermos and Jimmy's lunch there. If anyone remembers deeper thermos meaning lay it on me, the only connection I can make is that she was maybe using a thermos a lot when she was burning away at 150% efficiency sleeping in the car and showering at the gym.

My take on that scene now is that Jimmy wanted to wake Kim up and talk to her, probably to put on a good show of being normal and make sure she knew he was going out there looking for work. He kind of gives it away when you see his face briefly when he's doing the dishes. He's always wanted to present himself as a success to her, as seen when he went to great lengths to make the payments on their office.

Man so many little things to notice on this show, good grief.