Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

codo27 posted:

It just says Unknown for me. I almost deny some calls unless I'm in the car and I see the actual number in the dash. Facebook messenger has become really annoying too, I will get notifications for "chat heads active" that are really annoying, yet I haven't tried really hard to get rid of.

Yep :same:

The watch otherwise continues to work great and I will never complain about its battery life compared to my Fossil Q and its almost all day battery.

Still puzzles me that Fitbit hasn't just ripped the R&D that Pebble did for their Color screen tech and OS and just shoved that into their own themed hardware instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and make it less good and last not as long. Even the Pebble animations and graphics just work well for a smartwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel like my old original Steel is dying a bit but I still get the best part of the week, which is why I wont switch. Its for looking at notifications without taking the phone out of my pocket. I dont need it to be fancy. Its nice if I'm going out of town for 3 or 4 days and I can just charge once beforehand.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Gobbeldygook posted:

Here are your budget choices, roughly in terms of goon praise:

Huawei Mate SE
Nokia 6.1
Moto X4
Moto G6
Maybe something from Xiaomi? I don't think many goons have bought those.

They all have their ups and downs. For example, Huawei Mate SE has only one front-facing speaker vs some having two, no NFC, and some weird compatibility problems (I had to manually update a Garmin fitness tracker's firmware before it would sync with a Huawei Mate SE), the Moto X4 probably has the best camera of that bunch, etc.

I ordered a Mate SE, hopefully it works out. Thanks!

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LastInLine posted:

If you don't want Google to track you either buy an iPhone

Except in that article it specifically says iPhones are also affected.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

elmer chud posted:

Except in that article it specifically says iPhones are also affected.

In what should again be obvious but apparently is not: "buy an iPhone and stop using Google services".

Is the complaint literally that Google has access to your data when you use their services? Because I've heard of dumb things but that's just about the dumbest.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Call me a drone but I think the idea of a single machine learning service that uses the GPS location of every device that could be used to see how people work, commute, to improve things like lovely traffic is kind of cool.

I realize that the cynic in me knows that it's just used to make money for advertisers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Call me a drone but I think the idea of a single machine learning service that uses the GPS location of every device that could be used to see how people work, commute, to improve things like lovely traffic is kind of cool.

I realize that the cynic in me knows that it's just used to make money for advertisers.

I kind of figure if they're going to do the latter anyway they could at least work on the former in their spare time.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

I kind of figure if they're going to do the latter anyway they could at least work on the former in their spare time.

Someone's backing up your data and it ain't you.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I've gone back to the regular navigation bar after trying gestures. it was taking me back 2 apps instead of one way too regularly when I was trying to quick swipe to the right to switch between current and last app. hopefully they can smooth it out before it becomes permanent

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Khablam posted:

I used the hell out of photoshop when 2Gb was considered a lot and it was absolute hell compared to now. There's a world of difference between something working and something working well.
How much of it is the RAM and how much the CPU performance? Because latter went up a lot the last decade.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

strap on revenge posted:

I've gone back to the regular navigation bar after trying gestures. it was taking me back 2 apps instead of one way too regularly when I was trying to quick swipe to the right to switch between current and last app. hopefully they can smooth it out before it becomes permanent

Same. It really doesn't work well.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Quick swipe to switch apps is working great here, I have to put in a real effort to go two apps to the left?

Just a quick swipe and its the same as the old double tap

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Even if I was some sort of weirdo Massive App Phone User (which I am not) I would expect a decent amount of performance from a flagship phone that sells for flagship prices. And as a avid photo taker I also agree with the tweet from Obsessive Android Enthusiast Man that the camera is one of the biggest things that keeps me from leaving, for now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

How much of it is the RAM and how much the CPU performance? Because latter went up a lot the last decade.
As soon as your working document got to about 60-70% of your total RAM, you were spending more time waiting for the file to refresh than anything else. The limitation here was the speed of your scratch-disk, but the cause was RAM. A high-res A3 file could get laggy and anything above A2 was hard to work with at all.
Something of an x-factor, but as soon as you're using high percentages of RAM windows is/was throwing everything it can onto disk, this made everything else slow as molasses and it's why in this era of computing you were better off rebooting after running anything RAM intensive. Having large amount of your OS in RAM these days is a much bigger performance gain than you might realise. You've probably forgotten the start menu sometimes deciding it wanted to take 30s to open or 3 menus opening quickly but the fourth stalling out. That's all to do with modern windows having enough RAM to keep ~4Gb of itself in RAM if you have enough, making everything faster.
It's why chrome is so fast, it's actually doing something with that 1Gb footprint for 2 tabs.
More memory is a good thing.

You probably don't need >4Gb in a phone but the ones that have it use it. I suspect the Pixel 2XL in question is mismanaging memory somehow, people saying it's sitting with half idle no matter how many apps they use isn't proof they don't need more RAM, it's proof the hardware+OS isn't properly utilising what it has.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Ignore me.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 14, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

logikv9 posted:

Even if I was some sort of weirdo Massive App Phone User (which I am not) I would expect a decent amount of performance from a flagship phone that sells for flagship prices. And as a avid photo taker I also agree with the tweet from Obsessive Android Enthusiast Man that the camera is one of the biggest things that keeps me from leaving, for now.

Terrible performance will happen on any phone, whether a note 9 or a pixel 2 or a cheap Nokia. Being top-end does not mean it will crush all applications perfectly, and in the current state of Android, care is required on the part of the user to ensure that performance stays at acceptable levels.

I agree that it shouldn't be that way, but this is a problem of the platform as a whole, and is in no way tied to a specific device. Google needs to continue clamping down on bad apps, both in the app store and on the individual device.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I thought it was a fluke thing but my Pixel 2 XL won't charge with the factory charger\cable. When I plug it in it says rapidly charging and does the normal charging process but the phone doesn't actually charge. If I use a different cable\charger it works. This started the day I updated to Android 9. Any idea what might be going on here?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I thought it was a fluke thing but my Pixel 2 XL won't charge with the factory charger\cable. When I plug it in it says rapidly charging and does the normal charging process but the phone doesn't actually charge. If I use a different cable\charger it works. This started the day I updated to Android 9. Any idea what might be going on here?

The included fast charger doesn't work on Android 9 Pie for the original Pixel XL...maybe a similar bug with the Pixel 2 XL?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
How the gently caress could Google screw up the charging of a phone?

In other news the Mi Mix 2S will be getting Android 9. Which is a little surprising to me. I was under the impression Chinese companies don't really update the software of their phones once released.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It's like Google is pulling a Microsoft and letting end users be their QA team. :allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

isndl posted:

It's like Google is pulling a Microsoft and letting end users be their QA team. :allears:

Ha! Google started that whole trend. Microsoft is still playing catch-up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm having charging issues with my first gen pixel (non XL) after the Pie update as well. Old usb-c 5v 3A batteries that used to charge rapidly are now only charging normally or slowly. Occasionally they will charge rapidly. My monoprice charger at work still shows rapidly for the most part, and the included charger doesn't seem to have any issues.

It's very weird.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Usb-c is a hot mess.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I remember the USB-C charger I got with my Nexus 6P stopped working the 2nd day of having the phone.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just setup my new Mate SE, it is insanely fast compared to my old Nexus 6. I was also able to remove nearly every single app that was pre-installed, and used Lawnchair Launcher to make the front screen look like a Pixel. I really like the phone so far and I recommend it as a cheap phone.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 14, 2018

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Skarsnik posted:

Quick swipe to switch apps is working great here, I have to put in a real effort to go two apps to the left?

Just a quick swipe and its the same as the old double tap

it wasn't anything i was doing to cause it, it just wasn't working as intended about 20% of the time which isn't good enough in my opinion. i like the idea of it but the execution needs some work

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm having charging issues with my first gen pixel (non XL) after the Pie update as well. Old usb-c 5v 3A batteries that used to charge rapidly are now only charging normally or slowly. Occasionally they will charge rapidly. My monoprice charger at work still shows rapidly for the most part, and the included charger doesn't seem to have any issues.

It's very weird.

Google is so good

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As of 8.0, Google handed charging over to the Linux kernel with the built in USB Type-C Port Manager.

So, I'm going to guess whatever issues exist in charging came from the new kernel. Likely some neckbeard noticed something about the charging implementation that just wasn't following the written standard strictly enough and committed a patch to make it super strict and then broke compatibility for a huge swath of chargers that may be borderline in operation.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 14, 2018

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Pixels not charging is nothing, how about Nexus Players* not booting?

*yes I realize they are no longer supported, but this seems to be some (intentional??) software problem and also kinda lovely since there never was a newer Nexus/Pixel Player.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

In what should again be obvious but apparently is not: "buy an iPhone and stop using Google services".

Is the complaint literally that Google has access to your data when you use their services? Because I've heard of dumb things but that's just about the dumbest.
Can you imagine if this was any other company? "This rat-bastard company Ford is SELLING CARS wtf????"

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

As of 8.0, Google handed charging over to the Linux kernel with the built in USB Type-C Port Manager.

So, I'm going to guess whatever issues exist in charging came from the new kernel. Likely some neckbeard noticed something about the charging implementation that just wasn't following the written standard strictly enough and committed a patch to make it super strict and then broke comparability for a huge swath of chargers that may be borderline in operation.

Well considering my Pixel 2XL's charging completely broke in the PP3 beta and I had to use Flash Kernel to fix it, (Literally did an OTA install, and flashed the Factory Image and it still wouldn't charge at more than a tiny trickle), it might be worth trying Flash or ElementalX's kernel for the Pixel XL to see if one of those fixes the charging issue until Google Maybe releases a fix for it.

I skipped PP4 but PP5 and Official both charge fine for my 2XL so yea, Beta software and apparently, for Pixel XL owners, it still is.

Par for the new OS course I guess. Android 8.0 was a freaking dumpster fire.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

OhFunny posted:

How the gently caress could Google screw up the charging of a phone?

In other news the Mi Mix 2S will be getting Android 9. Which is a little surprising to me. I was under the impression Chinese companies don't really update the software of their phones once released.

You might want to update your impression of Chinese phones. I’ve been using a Huawei phone for the past year and have been getting constant updates.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I bet a P20 Pro released in the US, with all carrier support, and the Marketing Budget Huawei could possibly throw at it (in a world where we didn't badmouth all China phone makers for reasons) could have made it a decent success I bet.

It is somewhat the Android successor to the Nokia 808/1020 we never got because Microsoft had to go and do gently caress all with Nokia after the buyout/merge/fizzle. (And now the camera tech is in the P20 Pro if you didn't know that).

That and the Mi Mix 2S could easily have gained some dang good publicity for its screen that even the iPhone X would not be able to counter.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

it might be worth trying Flash or ElementalX's kernel for the Pixel XL to see if one of those fixes the charging issue until Google Maybe releases a fix for it.

Might be worth trying some unofficial poo poo that had to be made cause google is useless. Holy gently caress man. How can that happen? Maybe google needs to unplug the AI bot running the company and bring back a human to run things.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Not at this distance your honor:

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_p30-9294.php

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

codo27 posted:

Might be worth trying some unofficial poo poo that had to be made cause google is useless. Holy gently caress man. How can that happen? Maybe google needs to unplug the AI bot running the company and bring back a human to run things.

Don't be crazy, there is a human running the company and his name is Sundar... Pichai........ wait a minute :tinfoil:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shameful. (the hotlinking)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Didn't Samsung and Apple just finish the lawsuit over the original Galaxy S?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

It's kind of amazing how fast Lenovo turned Moto into a standard chinese phone company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I am a phone game and video watching addict. I have a note 4 which is having charging problems and just otherwise showing age. I considered upgrading to a note 9 since I can do that for 750 with a trade in, but I wanted to ask the thread before I did anything. One of my friends is pushing the razer phone on me hard but I didn't even know they made phones.

Any recommendations for high performing phones for my mobile game addiction?