Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuclear power will be too cheap to meter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not sure you could rely on any magic to be perpetual if it requires experience to function (how does that even work?) and in some cases their material components could be viewed as a sort of cost that may not render them as convenient as we'd like.

Also summoning elementals could replace horses, but they don't. Maybe they can't be controlled en masse?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cabbit posted:

Counterpoint:

Replace Piccolo with a wizard. Or don't, D&D's weird.

All the Z-Fighters are gestalt Monk/Sorcerers (or if your campaign allows it, Monk/Wilders).

Metal-Freeza was a Monk/Wizard who took the Lich template, but didn't make his save vs Massive Damage from Future Trunks' attack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Guldo was a weird munchkin build that was ALMOST broken but he failed in the execution.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
He forgot the one weakness of munchkin builds; actually being used.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Space is good because no one will ever be within 30 feet of it, and there is nothing out there to be corrupted by the negative energy. A random pebble in an asteroid field is nearly perfect. On the other hand it is quite troublesome to visit, or to return from. Dimension Dooring your way through space at 1200 feet per casting is gonna take a while.

Wouldn't you have access to Greater Teleport by the time you can become a lich?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My friends little brother used to play D&D with us and he would bring in all these bullshit dragon magazine classes and make the game all about how cool his character was.

He did something this one time and he had like three attacks at level 1 and got furious that he was doing worse in combat than someone running a players handbook class. Dude was legit the worst to play with. He might be better now but when he was a senior in high school he started to get pretty creepy what with being all "fascism isn't necessarily bad" and "states should be allowed to fine obese people."

I want to believe that since he's now graduated college and did some time in the military his worldview is expanded and gotten less awful but I don't know.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

seaborgium posted:

I heard it from Terry Pratchett I think, but someone figured out that any magic that could reliably replace the work of two horses or oxen would destroy any economy.

As a comparison, this is why engines are rated in "horse power," and as it turns out the combustion engine did, in fact, destroy the economy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Len posted:

My friends little brother used to play D&D with us and he would bring in all these bullshit dragon magazine classes and make the game all about how cool his character was.

He did something this one time and he had like three attacks at level 1 and got furious that he was doing worse in combat than someone running a players handbook class. Dude was legit the worst to play with. He might be better now but when he was a senior in high school he started to get pretty creepy what with being all "fascism isn't necessarily bad" and "states should be allowed to fine obese people."

I want to believe that since he's now graduated college and did some time in the military his worldview is expanded and gotten less awful but I don't know.

Lol, just lol, at the idea that the military stamps out fascist thought.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
Holy poo poo Rich, please be okay.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
My phylactery is Rich’s health.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Len posted:

Ok. That's cool. Super glad you brought this up here without any prompting. You definitely don't have any kind of brain disorder yourself.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who What Now posted:

Ok. That's cool. Super glad you brought this up here without any prompting. You definitely don't have any kind of brain disorder yourself.

He brought his fascism into games with him! It seemed relevant at the time of posting :colbert:

But yeah on reflection I could have dropped it after "dude was the worst"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

Guldo was a weird munchkin build that was ALMOST broken but he failed in the execution.

Popo is a DemiGod then, at the very least. And also a Lich.

And Broly would at least partly be a Barbarian.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Schwarzwald posted:

As a comparison, this is why engines are rated in "horse power," and as it turns out the combustion engine did, in fact, destroy the economy.

And coming soon, life itself!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

You're doomed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pope Guilty posted:

And coming soon, life itself!

We didn't start the fire (it was Etienne Lenoir)

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

DoctorTristan posted:

You done messed up. Should have made your phylactery Alignment Debates on the Internet instead. True immortality.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Earnestly posted:

Debates on the Internet

The lich’s phylactery is hidden inside one of these three tombs. Inside the other two are 2d6 zombies and skeletons. As the adventurers enter the first tomb, an enchantment causes one of the others to open and reveal the common undead inside.

Should the adventurers continue into the tomb they chose first? Or break open the other unsealed vault instead?

Meanwhile the lich’s minions escape with the phylactery while the party is distracted arguing the Monty Hall problem and whether it’s just best to grind through all the zombies for XP anyway.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

wizzardstaff posted:

The lich’s phylactery is hidden inside one of these three tombs. Inside the other two are 2d6 zombies and skeletons. As the adventurers enter the first tomb, an enchantment causes one of the others to open and reveal the common undead inside.

Should the adventurers continue into the tomb they chose first? Or break open the other unsealed vault instead?

Meanwhile the lich’s minions escape with the phylactery while the party is distracted arguing the Monty Hall problem and whether it’s just best to grind through all the zombies for XP anyway.

Split the party :getin:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Earnestly posted:

You done messed up. Should have made your phylactery Alignment Debates on the Internet instead. True immortality.

Rent a bit of time from a Russian troll farm just to be on the safe side.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

reignofevil posted:

Split the party :getin:
That's also why the trolley problem doesn't work in D&D, unless it involves actual trolls.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ephemeron posted:

That's also why the trolley problem doesn't work in D&D, unless it involves actual trolls.

Just make the trolley big enough.

You are all level 2 characters and an ancient black dragon is barreling down on a city which it will destroy. A nearby village has a mcguffin that shields it from the dragon's view.

By flipping a switch in a distant fort (where you are now) you can redirect the village's shield to the city. You can arrive in time to influence the outcome except by flipping said switch. What do you do?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phenotype posted:

Wouldn't you have access to Greater Teleport by the time you can become a lich?

I prefer to think of a bony man putputputing his way through space using dimension door.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nimby posted:

You are all level 2 characters and an ancient black dragon is barreling down on a city which it will destroy. A nearby village has a mcguffin that shields it from the dragon's view.

By flipping a switch in a distant fort (where you are now) you can redirect the village's shield to the city. You can arrive in time to influence the outcome except by flipping said switch. What do you do?

I switch it back and forth continually, hoping to give the dragon a migraine. I am aware the DM is a bastard and the dragon is intelligent enough to remember it saw a city there and guess magic is involved, so the shield by itself isn't enough.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

nimby posted:

Let the dragon destroy the city, flip the switch, then loot both after it's left

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mystic Mongol posted:

To a Christian, to prostate yourself before God's Glory is considered a bit of a lucky break.

I'm late but :hmmyes:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Slashrat posted:

I feel like you could get some mileage out of phylacteries that are just abstract concepts; like a catchy tune. The lich regenerates by the next person to hum it after his death, and to permanently destroy it the heroes would pretty much have to erase all memory of the tune from the world.

Edit: Or turning your own reputation as a loathsome force of evil into your phylactery. Make everyone else seeking immortality through their own legacy seem like amateurs.

Few pages back, but you may be interested in Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Thor seems cool

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i dunno i think i prefer drunken blowhard thor from the earlier days of the strip

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is Minrah afraid Durkon is bigoted or something? Why would she think that? And why would she care?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Maybe she's dating a tree.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cat Mattress posted:

Is Minrah afraid Durkon is bigoted or something? Why would she think that?

I mean, he did have her killed.

He's good now, but I can understand how that might have left an impression.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cat Mattress posted:

Is Minrah afraid Durkon is bigoted or something? Why would she think that? And why would she care?

Maybe she thinks her collection of small glass unicorns is unbecoming of a priest of Thor.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
minrah tends a garden as a hobby

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

lol maybe you trust durkon after following his adventure for a decade, but he probably gives off crazy youth pastor vibes to people who've only just met him

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You just don't tell people that you order seared tuna well done.

It's nice of Thor to lie to her like that, though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I know what Minrah is doing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Venuz Patrol posted:

lol maybe you trust durkon after following his adventure for a decade, but he probably gives off crazy youth pastor vibes to people who've only just met him

It's been WAY more than a decade bud

:shepicide: