Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did some looking into it and while ripping the games and parting/compressing them to fit into one or multiple CDRs was quite difficult (Dreamcast discs were 1.2GB), once a game had a scene release it was as easy as downloading the .iso, burning it to a blank CDR, and sticking it into your Dreamcast. No extra hardware needed.

It wasn’t the only factor in the Dreamcast’s death, but it was a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RatHat posted:

Wait how did the Dreamcast fail if it sold 9 million units?

Sega ran out of money and couldn’t weather it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope Furyu got paid well for that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DLC Inc posted:

after reading the Console Wars book about the Genesis departments in USA/Japan it's a wonder they lasted that long. The two branches hosed each other over constantly to an improbable degree. The most memorable one being how Yuji Naka told the Sonic Xtreme team to eat poo poo, couldn't use his Nights engine, thus forcing the Xtreme people to build the whole loving game OVER again.

People need to realize that Sega really had only 3 years or so when they really "got" the console market. Keep in mind that the Sega Master System did poorly everywhere outside of modest success in Europe and gaining NES-like popularity in Australia and New Zealand (which have a population of less than Texas combined.) The Sega Saturn (rightfully) bombed everywhere but Japan where it was a modest success. The Dreamcast bombed in Japan, did modest in Europe, and had pretty good success in North America until the Playstation 2 killed it.

The entire reason why the Genesis succeeded and all of their other consoles failed was due to the fact that with the Genesis, Sega made a system for the future. One targeted toward an older audience and had graphics good enough to keep up with its competitors. Many kids who grew up with the NES were now tweens or teenagers and wanted something more "mature". The Genesis delivered that with the "attitude" filled Sonic the Hedgehog, tons of quality sports games, and cool 80s B-movie action ninja and commado type games. This is what pushed Sega toward the edge.

Unfortunately, Sega of Japan never really "got" this and really wanted to make a system that just ported their arcade games. They wanted a system that was sort of an affordable NeoGeo with good third party support. Sega of America however wanted to make a "cool" console that was "hip" with the times. And too be fair while Sega of Japan was dicking around during the Genesis's later years, Sega of America tried, but they just didn't have enough skilled and talented developers to do so with Comix Zone and Vectorman being the only good games they had their hands in.

Sega of America, of the early 90s at least, definitely knew where the industry was going, they just weren't strong enough to lift themselves to there. Sega of Japan was the opposite, they had the talent, but had no idea where the industry was going.

Another thing to note is that Sega practiced Sony's and Microsoft's playbook of loss leader. The issue was that they didn't have the money to do so.

Sony and Microsoft can take these hits because they are giant mega-corporations, but Sega despite being an juggernaut in the arcades just can't afford to do that. Remember, every Sega system was sold at a loss.

Nintendo in contrast may be small, arguably smaller than Sega was, but focuses on making a profit on everything, including consoles, and their games sell insane numbers. This is in large part to why they survive.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sega ran out of money and couldn’t weather it.

This is exactly what happened. The Dreamcast was actually selling better than the Wii U, as it took the Wii U twice as long to get to the ~10 million unit mark than the Dreamcast did. If Sega was more responsible, they wouldn't have had to abandoned the Dreamcast. And keep in mind the fact that the gaming market and the North American population was smaller 20 years ago.

lelandjs posted:

The Wii U failed and it sold more.

Also iirc piracy was stupid easy with the Dreamcast and it came out right around the time CDRs started getting really popular.

Piracy killing the Dreamcast is a myth. The system actually had a similar attach rate to the Playstation 4.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 14, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the dreamcast was priced very cheaply by a company that had been bleeding bad decisions for a while. Its also home to some of the greatest games of all time while the WiiU has... 2 platinum games?

God the WiiU lineup is dire.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Barudak posted:

Yeah the dreamcast was priced very cheaply by a company that had been bleeding bad decisions for a while. Its also home to some of the greatest games of all time while the WiiU has... 2 platinum games?

God the WiiU lineup is dire.

Wii U actually had great first party games, but basically zero good standout third party games.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The Dreamcast was the best console to ever be made. Right after the PS2

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
WiiU definitely failed from a corporate profitability perspective, but it succeeded like hell in my living room delivering plenty of really good games and generally being a drat good system.

It's biggest failure was marketing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

WiiU definitely failed from a corporate profitability perspective, but it succeeded like hell in my living room delivering plenty of really good games and generally being a drat good system.

samesies. Game & Wario was mandatory for housebound party times with guests, it was just loving great fun

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Wii U had a great lineup but it’s easy to forget that now that most of it is on Switch. I think it beats the first 3 years of PS4 and X1.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Would it be fair to say the Wii U is a "failure" console like the Dreamcast and 3DO due to its poor sales?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anything is considered a failure if it doesn't move the very Earth beneath our feet.

Corporate views on success are so stupid.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Wii U had Pikmin 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario 3D World, the HD Zelda re-releases, Hyrule Warriors, and The Wonderful 101, and that's just off the top of my head.

It had a lot of good (mostly first-party) games, but yeah, it was mostly a failure because it couldn't get people to buy the dang thing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would it be fair to say the Wii U is a "failure" console like the Dreamcast and 3DO due to its poor sales?

The WiiU was less of a failure than those if only because less was riding on it.

Im glad yall loved th WiiUs first party lineup because there are good games in there but there isnt the depth in the lineup and a lot of its better games were just good and stood out on a barren playing field. The 3DO conversely wishes it had one good game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lelandjs posted:

I did some looking into it and while ripping the games and parting/compressing them to fit into one or multiple CDRs was quite difficult (Dreamcast discs were 1.2GB), once a game had a scene release it was as easy as downloading the .iso, burning it to a blank CDR, and sticking it into your Dreamcast. No extra hardware needed.

It wasn’t the only factor in the Dreamcast’s death, but it was a factor.

That coupled with the quick death of saturn made ea shun the dreamcast which was a serious deathblow for sales in the west

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1029221291557941248?s=21
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1029221175157637120?s=21
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1029220961227137024?s=21
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1029220735250706432?s=21

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I have bought Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on almost every console it came out on, and only the Dreamcast version was a flawless copy of the arcade.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Fire sale, switch is doomed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RatHat posted:

Sega were already so deep in the red it didn't matter how many they sold

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The thing that killed Dreamcast was that between the Dreamcast’s Nov 1998 launch in Japan and the Sept 1999 launch in the US, Sony held a tech demo press conference in March 1999 to show off what the PS2 promised to be capable of. It was deliberately designed to make American gamers hold out on the Dreamcast for the PS2. It was dirty. It was brutal. It was the most mean-spirited thing I’d seen in the games industry, kicking a guy off a cliff when they were trying to climb back on. They were All About Eve’ing Sega and showing them out the door. But despite being a Sega fan, I had to mutter under my breath “nice one”

Edit: corrected dates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIyu4Aozwbw

Waffle! posted:

I have bought Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on almost every console it came out on, and only the Dreamcast version was a flawless copy of the arcade.

Well I hope you’re proud of yourself because last time I looked MVC2 was $80 for the PS2 version.

I really should have bought it back then...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 14, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

RatHat posted:

9 million for two and a half years isn't that good. That's Gamecube levels of sales. The Dreamcast could have had a future if Sega didn't burn all of their money with the Sega Saturn.

I mean look at this poo poo. "Consumer Sales" = "Consoles" by the way.

The Dreamcast made poo poo worse. How do you manage to sell such a system for $200 or less without having an internal hardware manufacturing team? By taking a gargantuan loss on hardware.

Steve Yun posted:

The thing that killed Dreamcast was that right around its US launch (literally the same week in Sept 1999), Sony held a press conference to announce the PS2. It was deliberately designed to make people hold out on the Dreamcast for the PS2. It was dirty. It was brutal. It was the most mean-spirited thing I’d seen in the games industry, kicking a guy off a cliff when they were trying to climb back on. They were All About Eve’ing Sega and showing them out the door. But despite being a Sega fan, I had to mutter under my breath “nice one”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ktHOlkGXak

Outside of diehard nerds, nobody paid attention to conferences. The Dreamcast sold very well initially but then lost Steam due to a variety of reasons. But yeah the PS2 definitely killed it, but the mere announcement didn't stop the momentum.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 14, 2018

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The Ps2 was a DVD player that played games. That's why it did so well.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

This, it was most people's first DVD player!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually it did well because it had a ton of amazing games and was the follow up to the then biggest selling console of all time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

The thing that killed Dreamcast was that between the Dreamcast’s Nov 1998 launch in Japan and the Sept 1999 launch in the US, Sony held a tech demo press conference in March 1999 to show off what the PS2 promised to be capable of. It was deliberately designed to make American gamers hold out on the Dreamcast for the PS2. It was dirty. It was brutal. It was the most mean-spirited thing I’d seen in the games industry, kicking a guy off a cliff when they were trying to climb back on.

Oh you mean like the time Valve announced a TF2 beta test the day a free Team Fortress came out

Or the time Blizzard released an Overwatch beta the day Battleborn came out

Or the time Sony went onstage in E3 right after Microsoft and said "Oh you DON'T have to be online to play our games" to massive applause

(I actually would like more examples I love reading about game companies loving each other over)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Or the time Sony went onstage in E3 right after Microsoft and said "Oh you DON'T have to be online to play our games" to massive applause

There was that time after Sega Saturn was announced at $399, that Sony had their E3 press conference. Sony America’s CEO called up the PlayStation development head to announce the price. He came up to the podium, leaned into the mic and said “two ninety nine” and then walked off to applause.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Anyone else wish that Sega still made consoles?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Hi my Switch decided to stop connecting to my home network and can’t figure out why. I play both docked and portable; my router and cable mode are both up and running — my laptop, Roku, phone etc are connected and haven’t interrupted.

The Switch can find my home network but won’t connect to it. It gives me Error 2110-2003

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27023/~/error-code%3A-2110-2003

and I’ve tried everything here except power cycling my home network, because everything else has been connected without issue until this started happening yesterday.

Any other ideas or thoughts (should I just power cycle the router/modem) (but what if that doesn’t fix it)?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

I was just at one tonight, and they were full price.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I kinda do. They had their own flair on things. I wish they’d make some games that weren’t Sonic or Yakuza.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
One of the big reasons the DC died that never really gets kicked around is the passing of Isao Okawa, who had been personally bankrolling Sega through all their stupid poo poo decisions for years and was a mondo cool dude. He was the one who paid out of his own pocket for every JP DC to have a year of free dial-up come with it because he felt that online games were going to be a huge thing in the future (and back then Japan was still pay-by-the-minute).

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean, first I'd like to respect Sega as a publisher of games again, then we can talk about them getting back into the console market. Yakuza is amazing but after that if you're not into PC Strategy Games Sega's kinda hit-or-miss with a whole lot more leaning on the miss.

That said, I'm still hype for more Sonic Racing whenever they decide to release that. Sonic Transformed is still the game that finally forced Mario Kart to get off it's rear end and make the best entry in THAT series since Double Dash and is still worth playing in this post-Mario Kart 8 age, even if MK8 is probably the better game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

One of the big reasons the DC died that never really gets kicked around is the passing of Isao Okawa, who had been personally bankrolling Sega through all their stupid poo poo decisions for years and was a mondo cool dude. He was the one who paid out of his own pocket for every JP DC to have a year of free dial-up come with it because he felt that online games were going to be a huge thing in the future (and back then Japan was still pay-by-the-minute).

He died in March 2001 though.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lots of us may be old enough to remember the Nintendo Vs Sega days vividly but lets not pretend in 2018 that Sega actually ever had their poo poo together consistently for more than ..18 months by all accounts. They can't even make Sonic games right most the time lol. Least occasionally they manage something nice to keep them interesting.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 14, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

I mean, first I'd like to respect Sega as a publisher of games again, then we can talk about them getting back into the console market. Yakuza is amazing but after that if you're not into PC Strategy Games Sega's kinda hit-or-miss with a whole lot more leaning on the miss.

That said, I'm still hype for more Sonic Racing whenever they decide to release that. Sonic Transformed is still the game that finally forced Mario Kart to get off it's rear end and make the best entry in THAT series since Double Dash and is still worth playing in this post-Mario Kart 8 age, even if MK8 is probably the better game.

Yeah. Sega has the potential to be great as we can see with Yakuza, Sonic Mania, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Valkyrie Chronicles 4, but they just don't put their teams to work and make retarded decisions.

How do you gently caress up the Sonic IP this bad and not bring back your other IPs from the dead? A new Jet Set Radio game would be perfect today.

But yeah it is interesting to see how far Sega has fallen. And to be fair even their good games don't sell THAT well a lot of the time. Going third party certainly "devalued" their franchises, something I believe would happen to Nintendo if they ever went third party for some reason (like if Hell froze over).

LethalGeek posted:

Lots of us may be old enough to remember the Nintendo Vs Sega days vividly but lets not pretend in 2018 that Sega actually ever had their poo poo together for more than ..18 months by all accounts. They can't even make Sonic games right most the time.

Why they kept Sonic Team developing Sonic games is beyond me. Keep in mind even the "good" Sonic games from them aren't even "good good", just "good for a Sonic game".

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

The original game is coming out on Switch too.

!!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I bought Okami and Death Road to Canada at the same time, and only just got around to playing a round of Death Road for the first time... I just about died laughing when all of my characters got low morale and left the group, leaving only a stray dog that they had picked up in the party... who then proceeded to drive the car, and walk around wielding a crowbar.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Hey when is Powerstone 2 getting a Switch port?
Hmm it’s Capcom, so I’d expect to see Powerstone return as a free to play mobile game where you battle it out and use all those gem stones to upgrade your character.

(Puzzle Fighter and Gem Fighter should get goddamn ports too)

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah, the attach rate was atrocious. It wasn't the DRM that fell to a sharpie, but the check was for something that CDR tools quickly enabled. I want to say it was checking for the Audio track on the inside?
Something like that, or a specific offset. Early on you needed to do some funky stuff to get it right cause not all software did it (I remember a friend made a whole set of tools to do it on Macs), but as mentioned later on I think they were all rolled into the releases to make them easy for anyone to burn.

Waffle! posted:

Probably helped that the DC was basically a flawless copy of the arcade hardware MvC2 ran on, Naomi. Loved all those drat arcade ports.

Steve Yun posted:

There was that time after Sega Saturn was announced at $399, that Sony had their E3 press conference. Sony America’s CEO called up the PlayStation development head to announce the price. He came up to the podium, leaned into the mic and said “two ninety nine” and then walked off to applause.
https://youtu.be/ClvEzZoYb1Y

LethalGeek posted:

Lots of us may be old enough to remember the Nintendo Vs Sega days vividly but lets not pretend in 2018 that Sega actually ever had their poo poo together consistently for more than ..18 months by all accounts. They can't even make Sonic games right most the time lol. Least occasionally they manage something nice to keep them interesting.
Kinda going off the top of my head but I feel like Sega as an arcade dev was pretty consistently awesome. Not sure about recent years with them publishing games for other devs but their own output has still been solid afaik.

As for how they’ve handled consoles, v:shobon:v. I liked Saturn and DC for all the arcade ports (and some of my favorite GC games were also Sega arcade ports). Sounds like they doomed Saturn on their own and Sony kicked their teeth in on top of that, and by the DC came I figured it was doomed by the combination of their reputation by then and Sony's momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sonic Team was sad to watch because every subsequent Sonic game seemed to gently caress up harder in different ways, often an overreaction to the previous game, but desperate to use some new gimmick to pad out the gameplay. They just can't figure out that they were building their house on sand, because the 3D Sonic formula just ultimately doesn't work very well, and their 'speed' obsession resulted in them constantly trying to pad games out to increase playtime at any and all costs.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually it did well because it had a ton of amazing games and was the follow up to the then biggest selling console of all time.

The real punch is that it was both these things; it's a hard sell for a lot of parents (including mine) to get a Dreamcast or Gamecube when they can buy the game box that also plays the new discs all their favourite shows come on, and has more than enough games that most kids at best couldn't complain. It was the right machine in the right place at the right time when everyone was struggling, and successfully leveraged Sony's strengths as a conglomerate. (much like the Xbox 360 would with having the first really usable online multiplayer on a console)

• Locked thread