Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Yes? It's like 95% of their $400mil+ revenue, if not more. This is even more true than 10 years ago before almost everyone moved to cloud-based email. Thunderbird forever~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
One of the biggest reasons I use Firefox over Chrome is because of the way it handles tabs. I can't stand how Chrome makes me basically play Russian roulette with tabs

Yes I know I shouldn't have more than 10 tabs open at a time or whatever. But it's how I "remember" stuff. For example, a place I want to visit soon, or a news story I want to remember to check up on in a day or two, I will leave the tab open. I know that I can just bookmark everything, or add it to a Wunderlist or something, but I will never see them/bother if it isn't right in my face like it is with a tab. Also when I am feverishly researching something it is not uncommon for me to have 30+ tabs open.

Anyway I used TabMixPlus on Firefox to make multiple tab rows. But it seems like there is no alternative add-on for Firefox with the latest version. I found some userChrome.css code that kind of does it, but it doesn't let you rearrange tabs which drives me nuts, too.

Is there ever going to be a way to have multiple tab rows in the latest Firefox? Or is the way Firefox is "built" now no longer allowing stuff like that?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yes I know I shouldn't have more than 10 tabs open at a time or whatever. But it's how I "remember" stuff. For example, a place I want to visit soon, or a news story I want to remember to check up on in a day or two, I will leave the tab open. I know that I can just bookmark everything, or add it to a Wunderlist or something, but I will never see them/bother if it isn't right in my face like it is with a tab. Also when I am feverishly researching something it is not uncommon for me to have 30+ tabs open.

Much love, my prolific tab brother from another mother. Don't let anyone tell you how to browse. No idea about tab rows, but if I'm on a research binge I might open a new window and gather all those tabs there. Might forget it and find it languishing there a few days later as well. :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Anyway I used TabMixPlus on Firefox to make multiple tab rows. But it seems like there is no alternative add-on for Firefox with the latest version. I found some userChrome.css code that kind of does it, but it doesn't let you rearrange tabs which drives me nuts, too.

Is there ever going to be a way to have multiple tab rows in the latest Firefox? Or is the way Firefox is "built" now no longer allowing stuff like that?

I use a userChrome.css code to give me multirow tabs and can arrange them just fine. It's tab opening that gives me the shits. I had Tab Mix Plus set up just how I liked it and now it's all poo poo and tabs never open and close how I want them.

Give this code a try and see if it helps you:

code:
/* MULTI-ROW TABS 
   based on [url]https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/comments/7dclp7/multirow_tabs_in_ff57/[/url] 
   If tabs are too narrow, go into about:config and adjust browser.tabs.tabMinWidth
*/

/* General Rules */
#tabbrowser-tabs .arrowscrollbox-scrollbox {
  overflow: visible; 
  display: block;
}
#tabbrowser-tabs .scrollbox-innerbox {
  display: flex;
  flex-wrap: wrap;
  min-height: var(--tab-min-height);
  max-height: calc((5 * var(--tab-min-height)) + 1px) !important; /* up to 5 rows */
}
.tabbrowser-tab, .tab-background {
  height: var(--tab-min-height);
}
.tab-stack {
  width: 100%;
}
#main-window[sizemode="normal"] #TabsToolbar {
  border-left: 1px solid #888 !important;
}
/* Title bar rules */
#titlebar, #titlebar-buttonbox {
  height: var(--tab-min-height) !important;
}
#titlebar {
  margin-bottom: calc(var(--tab-min-height)*-1) !important;
}
#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #titlebar {
  margin-bottom: calc(6px + var(--tab-min-height)*-1) !important;
}
#titlebar:active {
  margin-bottom: 0 !important;
}
#titlebar:active #titlebar-content {
  margin-bottom: var(--tab-min-height) !important;
}
/* Remove unnecessary buttons and the blank areas at left and right */
#tabbrowser-tabs .scrollbutton-up, #tabbrowser-tabs .scrollbutton-down, 
#alltabs-button, .tabbrowser-tab:not([fadein]), 
.titlebar-placeholder[type="pre-tabs"], 
.titlebar-placeholder[type="post-tabs"] {
  display: none;
}
/* Ensure a border between tabs (#aaa is a light gray) */
.tabbrowser-tab:not(:last-of-type) {
  border-right: 1px solid #aaa !important;
}

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Much love, my prolific tab brother from another mother. Don't let anyone tell you how to browse. No idea about tab rows, but if I'm on a research binge I might open a new window and gather all those tabs there. Might forget it and find it languishing there a few days later as well. :v:

Hells yeah. I have no idea how people remember anything without them. I admit it got bad years gone by where I'd have 150+ tabs, but there's nothing that is gonna remind me to check out some local restaurant like leaving the tab open :)

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I use a userChrome.css code to give me multirow tabs and can arrange them just fine. It's tab opening that gives me the shits. I had Tab Mix Plus set up just how I liked it and now it's all poo poo and tabs never open and close how I want them.

Give this code a try and see if it helps you:

code:
/* MULTI-ROW TABS 
   based on [url]https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/comments/7dclp7/multirow_tabs_in_ff57/[/url] 
   If tabs are too narrow, go into about:config and adjust browser.tabs.tabMinWidth
*/

/* General Rules */
#tabbrowser-tabs .arrowscrollbox-scrollbox {
  overflow: visible; 
  display: block;
}
#tabbrowser-tabs .scrollbox-innerbox {
  display: flex;
  flex-wrap: wrap;
  min-height: var(--tab-min-height);
  max-height: calc((5 * var(--tab-min-height)) + 1px) !important; /* up to 5 rows */
}
.tabbrowser-tab, .tab-background {
  height: var(--tab-min-height);
}
.tab-stack {
  width: 100%;
}
#main-window[sizemode="normal"] #TabsToolbar {
  border-left: 1px solid #888 !important;
}
/* Title bar rules */
#titlebar, #titlebar-buttonbox {
  height: var(--tab-min-height) !important;
}
#titlebar {
  margin-bottom: calc(var(--tab-min-height)*-1) !important;
}
#main-window[sizemode="maximized"] #titlebar {
  margin-bottom: calc(6px + var(--tab-min-height)*-1) !important;
}
#titlebar:active {
  margin-bottom: 0 !important;
}
#titlebar:active #titlebar-content {
  margin-bottom: var(--tab-min-height) !important;
}
/* Remove unnecessary buttons and the blank areas at left and right */
#tabbrowser-tabs .scrollbutton-up, #tabbrowser-tabs .scrollbutton-down, 
#alltabs-button, .tabbrowser-tab:not([fadein]), 
.titlebar-placeholder[type="pre-tabs"], 
.titlebar-placeholder[type="post-tabs"] {
  display: none;
}
/* Ensure a border between tabs (#aaa is a light gray) */
.tabbrowser-tab:not(:last-of-type) {
  border-right: 1px solid #aaa !important;
}

I appreciate this a lot! I did this but oddly enough, I can only slightly arrange the tabs. I can drag a tab maybe 5 or so tabs to the left or right, but no further! Weird!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Seriously. I use tabs as a to-do list, and smartphone alarms as a scheduler.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Somebody has created an extension to deal with the pending loss of Live Bookmarks.

Livemarks

It is apparently a rewrite of the Chrome extension Foxish. It is still a little early in that it doesn't distinguish between read and unread articles, but it looks to be the best alternative so far. Hopefully by the time Live Bookmarks are removed this addon will be ready.

I just hope you don't use the "Recently bookmarked" tab. It emulates Live Bookmarks by continuously adding and deleting bookmarks in Firefox. It's pretty much the only way Live Bookmarks can be replicated. Maybe if Mozilla adds more WebExtensions APIs in the future it can become a better solution, but good luck with that.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
It's not Firefox, but people here might care: Thunderbird has a bunch of new hires on the team, so hopefully it'll start to see some more love! https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/2018-August/006127.html

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's not Firefox, but people here might care: Thunderbird has a bunch of new hires on the team, so hopefully it'll start to see some more love! https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/2018-August/006127.html

That's nice. And promising. Even though I can't see myself going to any other mail client, changes for the better are always welcomed.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Volguus posted:

Even though I can't see myself going to any other mail client

Than what?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Than what?

Thunderbird? To what other mail client? There are thousands out there, on the desktop and on the web.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Volguus posted:

Thunderbird? To what other mail client? There are thousands out there, on the desktop and on the web.

tbf; are there really? for windows at least there's kind of a dearth of desktop mail clients that look like they were made this decade

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Volguus posted:

I mean: what are you using that you will not be switching from?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

FRINGE posted:

I mean: what are you using that you will not be switching from?

Thunderbird. I am and have been using thunderbird for the last ... whatever, since 2004 or so. The statement was meant that upgrades are welcomed even if I am not even looking to switch to another email client now or in the foreseeable future.

Generic Monk posted:

tbf; are there really? for windows at least there's kind of a dearth of desktop mail clients that look like they were made this decade

Depending on your definition of "made this decade" there may or may not be. There are lovely email clients out there are are all fluff and no substance, everything being animated to the wazoo and which consume a bajillion megs of RAM, which are definitely made this decade and according to some their user interface is the best thing since slice bread. Some even are made in electron to help with the RAM usage and animations.

There are others that just help with email & calendar management that ... just do that, no fluff no bells no whistles.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I just checked, and The Bat https://www.ritlabs.com/en/ still exists. Going strong since 1998. Kind of impressive.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
It not totally free but I'm using Mailbird for desktop mail. All I really need is email, not calendar/chat/etc so I prefer it to TBird.

Plus we have HTML email signatures at work and Thunderbird doesn't even let you use a WYSIWYG wtf

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I've always wondered why browser based email clients are terrible at rendering emails. You already have the browsers rendering engine, just use that!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

nexus6 posted:

Plus we have HTML email signatures at work and Thunderbird doesn't even let you use a WYSIWYG wtf

HTML mails are haram.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Lambert posted:

HTML mails are haram.

I know, but otherwise I can't send emails from my company account with TB which is an issue.

Edit: Looks like I can copy & paste the signature with the full tags, but to edit it I'll still have to use an actual WYSIWYG editor

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 13, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Technically, downloading emails over POP3/IMAP is more modern that sending physical paper into a metal box attached to your property, but it seems to have more in common with that era than this. Downloaded email is to the internet age what the bronze axe was to the industrial age. It will be a pretty nippy afternoon in Hecksville before I use anything but webmail for that tiresome form of communication.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ola posted:

Technically, downloading emails over POP3/IMAP is more modern that sending physical paper into a metal box attached to your property, but it seems to have more in common with that era than this. Downloaded email is to the internet age what the bronze axe was to the industrial age. It will be a pretty nippy afternoon in Hecksville before I use anything but webmail for that tiresome form of communication.

The base functionality of IMAP is basically the same as webmail. Everything lives on the server, and it grabs emails when you open them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

The base functionality of IMAP is basically the same as webmail. Everything lives on the server, and it grabs emails when you open them.

Out of the many differences, being able to preview attachments safely (or safer, I should say) and not worrying about local storage (either for security or for space management) are enough to make the choice for me. That the provider reads all of it in order to tailor ads for me is a different matter.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There are definitely IMAP clients that don't save mails permanently. Android's gmail app, for example, only keeps the last bunch locally.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018

mike12345 posted:

I just checked, and The Bat https://www.ritlabs.com/en/ still exists. Going strong since 1998. Kind of impressive.

I think I actually purchased The Bat! 10-13 years ago.

My key, if I could even find it again, probably expired a long time ago.

Anyhow, I think Firefox is better than Chrome just for the ability to dig into its configuration and optionally disable some critical web errors, like autoloading videos, prefetching (this makes loading multiple tabs from news aggregate websites painful), and the ability to toss Privacy Badger on top of things to get rid of ads (it becomes extremely effective after a relatively short amount of time).

I also like to set nglayout.initialpaint.delay to "0", and content.notify.interval to "60000000" (60 seconds), with content.notify.ontimer set to "true". It helps out a LOT on less powerful computers, and creates the illusion of things loading faster than they actually are.

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 13, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I get Firefox to embed Twitter tweets in posts? It just shows up as a link for me.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Turn off tracking protection for Twitter on SA

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I get Firefox to embed Twitter tweets in posts? It just shows up as a link for me.

edit: beaten

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sereri posted:

Turn off tracking protection for Twitter on SA

Thanks.

I only see the option to disable tracking protection for SA completely. Is there a way to do what you said, whitelist Twitter while on SA?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

All or nothing, baby!
Just be glad it's a per-site option.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I had that same issue, turned out Ghostery was loving with tweets as well

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

nexus6 posted:

I had that same issue, turned out Ghostery was loving with tweets as well
You might want to consider ditching Ghostery. It was sold to an advertising company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliqz and its parent company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Burda_Media

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For some reason, firefox decided it should periodically take several minutes to load a tab. Doesn't matter whether it's one tab or several, doesn't matter the content or site. Haven't changed my internet connection in any way recently, everything besides firefox (chrome is my main browser, but like steam and other stuff) loads at perfectly normal speed. What could the problem be?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah Ghostery is bad.

Just use ublock origin like everyone.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Xander77 posted:

For some reason, firefox decided it should periodically take several minutes to load a tab. Doesn't matter whether it's one tab or several, doesn't matter the content or site. Haven't changed my internet connection in any way recently, everything besides firefox (chrome is my main browser, but like steam and other stuff) loads at perfectly normal speed. What could the problem be?

Some addon or Firefox sync forever waiting for a resource or a web service. Try disabling one by one addon, then Firefox sync, then un/reinstall.

e: also, maybe it could be proxy settings, if you use anything like that.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 24, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ola posted:

Some addon or Firefox sync forever waiting for a resource or a web service. Try disabling one by one addon, then Firefox sync, then un/reinstall.

e: also, maybe it could be proxy settings, if you use anything like that.
Can't be 100% sure yet, but that seems to be it. Thanks.

I need a flash and video download addon that actually works without destroying firefox in the process.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Can't be 100% sure yet, but that seems to be it. Thanks.

I need a flash and video download addon that actually works without destroying firefox in the process.

No idea about flash downloads, but I've used this for youtube downloads: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1-click-youtube-video-downl/

If you can't find anything, perhaps find something for Chrome and then open that when you need to download something.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
I updated my work firefox browser to quantum a few weeks ago after having to use an older version of firefox for some certain web applications but now I've noticed a slow down in my computer and it seems like it's just firefox taking up a lot of memory. The work computer is pretty old now (circa 2014) but it has an i5 CPU and 8 gigs of ram so I don't know what to do. I've been using firefox since it was called firebird since 2003 but I think I may be behind the times? It looks like all the new kids are using chrome. Does chrome have better memory management than firefox?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pooperscooper posted:

I updated my work firefox browser to quantum a few weeks ago after having to use an older version of firefox for some certain web applications but now I've noticed a slow down in my computer and it seems like it's just firefox taking up a lot of memory. The work computer is pretty old now (circa 2014) but it has an i5 CPU and 8 gigs of ram so I don't know what to do. I've been using firefox since it was called firebird since 2003 but I think I may be behind the times? It looks like all the new kids are using chrome. Does chrome have better memory management than firefox?

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the OP?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pooperscooper posted:

Turn off the mozilla spyware thing that cripples machines.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185117

https://techdows.com/2017/08/firefox-57-prevent-accessibility-services-accessing-browser.html

They claim it doesn't happen, but psychically totally have directions on how to fix the thing that doesn't happen.

Maybe they fixed it. I dont care enough about the poo poo they constantly decide to waste time "adding and improving" to go look.

This one nailed it.

quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Some things NEVER change. I thought the amazing quantum was going to do away with all the old problems of Firefox but here we are doing what? The same thing we always do. 1) Blame extensions (Thought we fixed all that with the new chrome style extensions), 2) Say restart it in safe mode (have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?) and 3) saying to turn off hardware acceleration and themes (look if hardware acceleration is such a common issue perhaps it should be disabled by default and those people with massive gpu arrays on gaming rigs can turn it on if they want). This is hilarious.

quote:

"New" browser, same exact issues. Hilarious. You guys are slower than IE! I repeat: Slower than IE. One more time I really think you need to let this sink in. YOU ARE SLOWER THAN IE.

Blah blah blah, hardware acceleration, blah blah, extensions, safe mode, blah blah blah, restore, delete profile, cache cookies, blah blah.

The one thing that made it shine was how flexible the UI was (because non-Mozilla people made it that way), then they crippled that on the march to be chrome junior.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FRINGE posted:

Turn off the mozilla spyware thing that cripples machines.

No. That thing you just cited is not the mozilla spyware*, that's crap from other applications outside firefox. Because every goddamn is crapware these days.

If you checked that box and it made firefox noticeably faster for you, and you don't use a screen reader, then you have some lovely software on your PC that is either spying on you, written by incompetents, or both. You should remove the lovely software rather than blame mozilla. Accessibility functions are the things made for blind people to use computers. No program should be touching that for other purposes.

*that's pocket