Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Please remember that if you do not buy or play Pax Transhumanism, a future robot will torture a future reproduction of yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

discount cathouse posted:

Matt Eklund is a goddamn lunatic:

Finally, free market fortuneers smash the barriers of age that have plagued us for so long.

Is it something about being called Eklund? Because Phil Eklund is also a lunatic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The point of the Pax games though is that their argument for a pure ideal libertarian state doesn't work when someone is trying to win exclusively and ultimately the goal is to win exclusively. Scientists and technocrats, backed by corporations, aren't solving the woes of humanity out of benevolence. I think that's what the game will address in play just like Pax Porfiriana literally flips upside down when someone makes a play against the stable power base of Diaz and Pax Renaissance's patrons of art and humanism are undone by nationalism and debt.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
So I'm trying to bodge together a google sites/sheets/forms implementation of Container, but I'm scratching my head when it comes to how to manage hidden scoring card allocation. Anyone got any good solutions for how to do hidden info without using vassal or similar?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

The End posted:

So I'm trying to bodge together a google sites/sheets/forms implementation of Container, but I'm scratching my head when it comes to how to manage hidden scoring card allocation. Anyone got any good solutions for how to do hidden info without using vassal or similar?

The BattleCON sheets use salted hashes. You could give each player a string indicating which card they have, then add a random string to the end and hash the whole thing, putting it in the sheet.

At the end of the game, you reveal your string and compare to the hash.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

OmegaGoo posted:

The BattleCON sheets use salted hashes. You could give each player a string indicating which card they have, then add a random string to the end and hash the whole thing, putting it in the sheet.

At the end of the game, you reveal your string and compare to the hash.

Yeah, I basically only understood 'BattleCON' out of that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The End posted:

in brief, each person gets a string of characters that's unique to them. once they're all submitted, a common-among-all-players additional string that none of the players know is added to the end of their unique strings, then each of those is run through a function that turns a string into jumbled password that's used to sign the sheet.

because none of the players know the common additional string, nor the hashing function, they don't know which cards others have.

the "salt" is what the common additional string is called.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I sure wish Mint Works wasn't OOP :(

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

New Pictomania was the hotness, CGE sent us a couple copies that we raffled off and it got near constant play.

WAIT WHAT

TELL ME EVERYTHING

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SuperKlaus posted:

WAIT WHAT

TELL ME EVERYTHING

About the new edition of pictomania or about vlaadacon getting copies to raffle off from CGE?

The former, there's a new edition, it has the following changes:
Paper and pencil instead of dry erase marker
3 cards at once instead of 6 and up to two people can be on a given card
An extra black token so it's n tokens rather than n-1. Going back to n-1 is a "competitive variant" at the back of the rulebook and I'd probably just play that way anyway since it becomes too lax otherwise
I think people have a second 2* to give out? I dunno.

The latter, CGE and Vlaada both think our little con is hilarious and we happily talk about Vlaada games everywhere we can because why wouldn't we, and in return they give us advance copies of new stuff sometimes which is a great draw for our con!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't know there was a 2e coming and I'm really pumped. Are there new words? Do these new cards have a lot more words per card to compensate for being lower in quantity per round? If not are the old cards "compatible" with the new game so you get more words overall? I'd really like lots and lots of new words so the categories past difficulty 1 are fatter. Is there still the tiered conceptual difficulty for cards?

I was *dying* for a Pictomania expansion and thought it would never happen due to the game's odd publishing history (vis-a-vis the USA) so this is like manna from heaven.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 14, 2018

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

The End posted:

If the follow-up explanation didn't make sense, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

I didn't know there was a 2e coming and I'm really pumped. Are there new words? Do these new cards have a lot more words per card to compensate for being lower in quantity per round? If not are the old cards "compatible" with the new game so you get more words overall? I'd really like lots and lots of new words so the categories past difficulty 1 are fatter. Is there still the tiered conceptual difficulty for cards?

I was *dying* for a Pictomania expansion and thought it would never happen due to the game's odd publishing history (vis-a-vis the USA) so this is like manna from heaven.

Ah, okay!

Yeah there's a whole new stack of cards, each card still has exactly 7 words on it I think, and I think they're more or less compatible.

I think the tiered difficulty is still there, yeah.

So I think my answer is "get it and add the cards together and use whichever rules you like".

Look on BGG for fewer "I thinks" though, just to make sure, before getting it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

I think the tiered difficulty is still there, yeah.

The hardest level of difficult of the OG Pictomania was hilariously impossible. More of that, please.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Deathlove posted:

The hardest level of difficult of the OG Pictomania was hilariously impossible. More of that, please.

Best drawing I ever made was on the money card

Mortgage
Loan
Interest
3 more words I forget

I drew

money with a circle around it
an arrow pointing to the money
a house with a crossed out circle around it

My goal was "kind of like a mortgage, but unrelated to houses", and people correctly got loan. :3:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
e: something relevant

Bellmaker posted:

:yeah: love this game

Starter 18xx? Poseidon (1800BC) is kind of a hybrid Euro/18xx that gets those base XX concepts across.

I'm not sure if there's a way to lateback 18lilliput but: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22630337/18lilliput

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 14, 2018

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

CommonShore posted:

So would you use Mint Works as a teacher/gateway to any WP game?

I'm even interested in flipping the question around - what smaller game would you use as a gateway to, say, FCM or 18xx?

Despite my "um actually"ing I'd totally use Mint Works as WP gateway/teaching. I still think of the game as being an income/spending ramp game at its core, but the WP part is solid and has everything I think of as main WP elements: action blocking, first player selection importance, predicting opponent's needs, and turn by turn re-evaluation of the relative worth of individual action spaces.

The biggest "thing" about FCM to me is how everyone expects that the game turn flow is Hire->Advertise->Fill Demand->Get Paid->Pay Salaries but that is not how it is and that changes EVERYTHING. If there's a small game that reflects that, it could make a decent Food Chain Magnate gateway, maybe?

EBag
May 18, 2006

Glad for a new Pictomania but none of those changes sound good, except adding another black token. Do the cards fit the format for Pictomania 1E, could you use 2E cards with it?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

EBag posted:

Glad for a new Pictomania but none of those changes sound good, except adding another black token. Do the cards fit the format for Pictomania 1E, could you use 2E cards with it?

Adding another black token is the worst change, didn't you read what I wrote?

I believe you can combine cards.

Pen and paper, eh, people said it made little difference in terms of the drawing. Multiple people to a card, eh, why would that matter a huge amount?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Looking at BGG photos it would appear that the cards are the same thing, just with new visuals. They do appear to contain new words (though probably not 100% new words) and the tiered difficulties appear to have carried over, so this could probably be treated as an expansion to Pictomania 1e if you prefer the old rules a lot more. Or you could consider 1e an expansion for 2e!

I'm mulling it over and I think the new card rules will increase the difficulty and through that the fun. With only 3 word-cards in existence, you can't logic out that Ed must not be drawing from Card A because Bob is clearly drawing from Card A - not as easily, anyway. The flip side of this is fewer of those hilarious "oh no...OH NO" moments when you voted confidently on Ed and then you look over at Bob and realize "Bob is clearly drawing from Card A so what was Ed doing MY ENTIRE VOTE PATTERN IS WRONG better grab a finish token and pray!"

The related and key thing is that with multiple people on the same card you'll be seeing way more situations where two people have similar things to draw. The old game had lots of cases where it was like "whatever the hell Ed is doing it's obviously an animal, so he's this card because the other cards' concepts are buildings, kitchenware, and vehicles." You only got those really tricky judgment calls when two of the six cards happened to feature similar general ideas. Now you'll be getting two players drawing from a similar idea pool a lot more often. Which in my initial, pre-play judgment will make the game more hectic and tricky and ~*fun*~.

I'm like 95% going to buy this.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
How difficult is Indonesia to play with a group that doesn't have much experience with heavy games?

I'm looking for an economic game with a little more meat on the bones after enjoying a friend's copy of Container. Indonesia seems like the next logical step but my group mostly enjoys stuff like Terraforming Mars and can just handle Food Chain Magnate. Is the jump in complexity significant? The fiddly upkeep and calculator math seem like easy ways to make some eyes glaze over.

The new edition of Brass seems like a good alternative with its crazy good production value. Or I could push everyone into the deep end with 1889 and see who drowns.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

DogCop posted:

How difficult is Indonesia to play with a group that doesn't have much experience with heavy games?

I'm looking for an economic game with a little more meat on the bones after enjoying a friend's copy of Container. Indonesia seems like the next logical step but my group mostly enjoys stuff like Terraforming Mars and can just handle Food Chain Magnate. Is the jump in complexity significant? The fiddly upkeep and calculator math seem like easy ways to make some eyes glaze over.

The new edition of Brass seems like a good alternative with its crazy good production value. Or I could push everyone into the deep end with 1889 and see who drowns.

Brass is your best bet and it honestly isn't that overwhelming. Indonesia is not bad rules-wise but if I would gauge interest carefully as it can go on a while. And from what I hear, the best part is that if they like Indonesia they're ready for 18xx games! Why wouldn't you start with 1830 or 1846? For the record I don't remember 1889 and it could very well be the other newbie friendly one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If they can handle FCM they can handle Indonesia. Mergers are the most complex thing but even that is a question of adding some cardboard together and dividing it by its value. No, I'd say the real issue is that Indonesia is a game I wouldn't recommend with less than 5 and the last turn or two can take thirty minutes or more as people figure out the logistics for a million pieces covering the map.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

FulsomFrank posted:

Why wouldn't you start with 1830 or 1846? For the record I don't remember 1889 and it could very well be the other newbie friendly one.

I heard 1889 is the beginner version of 1830 - at least that's what the Heavy Cardboard folks recommended.

quote:

If they can handle FCM they can handle Indonesia.

When I saw "handle" I mean "always choose the shortest game length and buy an army of waitresses"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Indonesia is pretty automated, especially compared to FCM where your card play determines your course of actions. Theoretically they could just each get a company and operate until the heat death of the universe.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

DogCop posted:

I heard 1889 is the beginner version of 1830 - at least that's what the Heavy Cardboard folks recommended.

It is.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tekopo posted:

Please remember that if you do not buy or play Pax Transhumanism, a future robot will torture a future reproduction of yourself.

And crucially there's no way to know that this isn't that future reproduction.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

pax transhuman got me thinking you could probably do a coin knockoff with the sequels to altered carbon

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
1889 is not really the beginner version of 1830, it’s more the 3-4 player version. Also :japan:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Hello board games thread!

I’ve never posted here before, but I come with a question. I’m a teacher, and I just got cleared by the administration to make a dream of mine come true. I love board games, and so as a Friday afternoon activity, I have founded a Tabletop Club! This is for kids to come in and play board games together on Fridays as a way to wind down from the stress of school before they head home for the weekend. Board games have always been crucial to me in building relationships and learning critical thinking skills, and so that’s why I’m so happy I get to share that with kids. In less than a week of signups, I’ve already had almost sixty kids register, grades 7-12. That rocks! I’m hoping to foster a sense of unity not just between peers, but between grades as well.

My question to you: What games would you recommend for this age group? It’s a sixty minute block of time for the club. Thanks to the generosity of friends on Facebook and the wonderful posters in the NBA thread, I now have a whole host of games to play, but I’m always looking to diversify and add to my classroom closet.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for any help you can provide.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I’ve never posted here before, but I come with a question. I’m a teacher, and I just got cleared by the administration to make a dream of mine come true. I love board games, and so as a Friday afternoon activity, I have founded a Tabletop Club! This is for kids to come in and play board games together on Fridays as a way to wind down from the stress of school before they head home for the weekend. Board games have always been crucial to me in building relationships and learning critical thinking skills, and so that’s why I’m so happy I get to share that with kids. In less than a week of signups, I’ve already had almost sixty kids register, grades 7-12. That rocks! I’m hoping to foster a sense of unity not just between peers, but between grades as well.

My question to you: What games would you recommend for this age group? It’s a sixty minute block of time for the club. Thanks to the generosity of friends on Facebook and the wonderful posters in the NBA thread, I now have a whole host of games to play, but I’m always looking to diversify and add to my classroom closet.

Hey there fellow educator

I've also run a games club at my last school (Grades 7-10). Some games that were enduring hits:

Almost any pure deckbuilder - buy cheap though, as they will get thrashed over time
Pandemic
Resistance/Avalon, Coup, Skull, Mascarade
Ex Libris
Lords of Waterdeep
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Catan
Going Going Gone
Talisman (bad game but draws kids to it like flies to honey)
Telestrations
Blokus
Hanabi
Sushi Go
Chinatown/Lords of Vegas

Those were all pretty popular. I'll add more if I think any.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Fellis posted:

1889 is not really the beginner version of 1830, it’s more the 3-4 player version. Also :japan:

Japan certainly beats New Jersey in terms of theme.

If I go for Indonesia or 1889 it'll definitely be a print-and-play with this guy's re-designs because goddamn those games are ugly out of the box.

https://twentynineteen.org/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

DogCop posted:

If I go for Indonesia or 1889 it'll definitely be a print-and-play with this guy's re-designs because goddamn those games are ugly out of the box.

This dude is legit amazing holy poo poo. That Arboretum retheme is insanely good.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’m a little leery on a 18xx redesign from someone who hasn’t played it a bunch. That game really needs clarity of the train routes/tokens/cities and that’s something that contributes to the practical ugliness. I don’t like the re-design by Carthaginian for that reason, that and too much brown.

His other designs look solid though, hopefully it looks good!

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Camel Up is very accessible and can be used to teach probability.

Imhotep has fun blocks to move around

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

DogCop posted:

I don't see his 1889 re-theme on his site, but I am 100% going to print out his Arboretum one.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Slimy Hog posted:

I don't see his 1889 re-theme on his site, but I am 100% going to print out his Arboretum one.

1889 is the one he's working on now - only has a blog post about it so far.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I'd add Barenpark, Diamant, Deep Sea Adventure, Junk Art, Kingdomino, Click Clack Lumberjack, Las Vegas, King of Tokyo/King of New York, Ganz Schon Clever

I'm mostly thinking of silly light stuff but some (comparatively) meatier games would be great too. It's so cool you get to do this, I would've loved to have a tabletop club in high school.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

NickRoweFillea posted:

Good 60 minute or less games off the top of my head:

Tsuro
Dixit
Ethnos
Ascension
Evolution:Climate (or the Beginnings version)
Carcasonne (any good library should have this)
Nexus Ops (I can't remember if you can finish this in 60 mins but kids will love the theme)
Any of the D&D adventure board games (might be a bit long and fiddly but kids love it)
Junk Art
Rhino Hero
King of Tokyo
Bang! Dice
Camel Up
Pictomania
Coloretto
Cockroach Poker
Whistle Stop
Grim Forest
Flamme Rouge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I would enjoy even just having boxes that looked that good.

Maybe I should look into game crafter or print and play games just to make new boxes for some things like ChEx

Edit: oh and pax ren’s stupid little box