Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Pook Good Mook posted:

The entire maritimes (excluding Halifax) is just Northern Maine with funnier accents.

I can corroborate this. Growing up we went to our family house in Nova Scotia and all the kids we hung out with were white trash. One of them tried to convince my twin and I that he killed a deer with a pocket knife and cut off the hoof as a trophy

Then he tried to convince my mom he mowed our lawn for 10 weeks after we had been there a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Stop erasing southern mullets

Not to take anything away from the southern mullet. But the Tennessee tophat pales in comparison to the fearsome beast that is hockey hair

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

The entire maritimes (excluding Halifax) is just Northern Maine with funnier accents.

Some of them speak french.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

nm posted:

More like Cajun lol

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

nm posted:

Again, northern Maine with funnier accents.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I guess I just always figured Canada didn't have enough contemptuous, boonie idiots to field a squad of sovereign citizens, but I was wrong.

The most serious / dangerous ones are often transplants from Montana.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Brock Lesnar moved from Montana to Saskatchewan so this checks out.

Also, i don’t think the latest legal question good actually bitchslapped that guy but good god i hope there’s a nearby camera that caught it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
For your collective bemusement. "Pace" is a drug being marketed as a dietary supplement that increases the enjoyment of, and reduces the harmful effects of, alcohol (its active ingredient is theorized to work by triggering a satiety receptor, but just lol if you think it's passed even the most basic of safety testing). Check out the insane liability waiver language on its website as well as the parts where the manufacturer is actively seeking investors- and where the labeling is conveniently blurred in all the photos. All courtesy of the "Diet Alcohol Corporation of the Americas."

I need to find a way to fast-track report this to FDA.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Brock Lesnar moved from Montana to Saskatchewan so this checks out.

Also, i don’t think the latest legal question good actually bitchslapped that guy but good god i hope there’s a nearby camera that caught it.

I would have hosed that guy up but I was wearing sandals

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

For your collective bemusement. "Pace" is a drug being marketed as a dietary supplement that increases the enjoyment of, and reduces the harmful effects of, alcohol (its active ingredient is theorized to work by triggering a satiety receptor, but just lol if you think it's passed even the most basic of safety testing). Check out the insane liability waiver language on its website as well as the parts where the manufacturer is actively seeking investors- and where the labeling is conveniently blurred in all the photos. All courtesy of the "Diet Alcohol Corporation of the Americas."

I need to find a way to fast-track report this to FDA.

Requiescat in Pace

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mastershakeman posted:

I would have hosed that guy up but I was wearing sandals

https://youtu.be/6tdLIL3K0wk?t=8m18s

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Beefeater1980 posted:

Was English and Hong Kong qualified, no longer practising. History is:

Qualified in London firm;
Switched to NY firm in London on qualification, worked 2 years;
Moved to HK with different NY firm and did 6 years;
Quit law and joined one of the big legal vendors, did 4 years there in a variety of business roles including sales which was fun as hell;
Now I’m at one of the Chinese tech unicorns in a pure business role, introduced by a former client. I get to use my old firm for investments sometimes, which is nice.

I can do an effortpost on the HK legal market for foreign lawyers if anyone’s interested. Basically, there are still a few opportunities for non Chinese speakers but not so many as before - Singapore and Dubai are the expat lawyer destinations of choice these days for the most part.

I mentioned this in the last thread, I'm still kind of interested in Singapore or Dubai. I recently spoke with an alumni who did international commercial arbitration in SG and HK and it sounds pretty good, the lack of tax for non-Americans and availability of affordable domestic help are big draws, and I'm fine with Shari'a. I like Dubai but education isn't one of its strong points and by the time I get there I will have school age children. Not so big on HK now for that reason, and TLS and friends who have been there say that the kind of work they do in HK is lovely and life-draining and there's no opportunity for personal development.

- Are there big opportunities for US-trained lawyers as opposed to UK?
- Do they pay $190 +CoL? That would go pretty far in Dubai at least although maybe not SG.
- What practice area should I start off with in the US? My firm has a pretty big and well-established PE/alternative entities/fund formation practice and that's what I'm thinking of, but corporate litigation is big too. I assumed that litigation wasn't really what they wanted outside the US but with the arbitration stuff, maybe?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Possible recent article for the OP: http://www.abajournal.com/voice/article/an_open_letter_to_potential_law_students_know_the_truth/

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

availability of affordable domestic help are big draws, and I'm fine with Shari'a.

Hmmmmmm

Post the emails

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I shoulda realized I needed to quote it.

quote:

This product has not been evaluated by the FDA. Breaking the seal indicates that you waive any/all right to bring claim against manufacturer and that you become solely liable for its use once opened. Consumption or possession of this product indicates you agree to the terms described herein. These claims have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to treat, cure or prevent any disease or medical condition.

​Recommended Use: Take one half bottle prior to drinking alcohol or in conjunction with. Slowly drink more as you continue to consume alcohol. Continue to drink more until the desire to drink alcohol diminishes. As a stand alone drink, take 1 entire bottle to start. Consume more as needed. Onset time of effect may vary depending on individual and food consumed prior to use. Do not exceed the recommended dosage. Use or discard contents within 12 hours of breaking seal. Refrigerate after opening.​

Terms of use: In testing this product has been shown to reduce excessive behavior, including but not limited to alcohol consumption and binge behavior.

Please learn more about our commitment to you and ongoing customer relationship development, we call: 'Evidence Based Drinking'.

Caution: Keep out of reach of children. This product is not intended for use by minors or those under the required age for the consumption of alcohol in any jurisdiction. This product contains an aminoindane class of supplement that
has an inebriating quality similar to alcohol. Do not drive or operate machinery during use. Effects may be stronger or last longer than alcohol. Until effects of product are well known to you, use extreme caution during use. Product will affect your judgment and motor skills. Do not take this product if you are pregnant or nursing. If you are taking other medication or drugs, or have any medical condition consult your physician before using this or any inebriant.

THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS NO ALCOHOL
This product is not designed for weight loss however may help you lose weight by helping you eat and drink less.

PACE, Pace Yourself, evidence based drinking are trade/service marks of DACOA. Use of these marks without prior written authorization from DACOA is strictly prohibited.

this is, to be clear, all a single body of text in the "About pace" part of the website.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

affordable domestic help are big draws,
Jesus loving Christ, is this pro-slavery post?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

I mentioned this in the last thread, I'm still kind of interested in Singapore or Dubai. I recently spoke with an alumni who did international commercial arbitration in SG and HK and it sounds pretty good, the lack of tax for non-Americans and availability of affordable domestic help are big draws, and I'm fine with Shari'a. I like Dubai but education isn't one of its strong points and by the time I get there I will have school age children. Not so big on HK now for that reason, and TLS and friends who have been there say that the kind of work they do in HK is lovely and life-draining and there's no opportunity for personal development.

- Do they pay $190 +CoL? That would go pretty far in Dubai at least although maybe not SG.
- What practice area should I start off with in the US? My firm has a pretty big and well-established PE/alternative entities/fund formation practice and that's what I'm thinking of, but corporate litigation is big too. I assumed that litigation wasn't really what they wanted outside the US but with the arbitration stuff, maybe?

instead of posting about how slavery is attractive, consider posting the emails

nm
Jan 28, 2008

eke out posted:

instead of posting about how slavery is attractive, consider posting the emails

Thoatwarbler is a worse person than SV.
Sorry SV, gotta up your slavery game.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

nm posted:

Jesus loving Christ, is this pro-slavery post?

Throatwarbler, let me ask you this.

Is the reason you are obsessed with making $190k so that you can buy poo poo loads of overpriced "fashion" watches that you can show off in airport lounges?

Follow-up, what is your time-frame on purchasing a Bugatti?

Final follow-up, what is the best safe to buy to keep my South-Asian laborers passports in while they work for me?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys would get a real kick out of how this sexual harassment thing is working out. Unfortunately the details would be too identifiable.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Throatwarbler posted:

1. Yes. A US JD from a good school is still the gold standard for US firms’ offices in both regions, and if you have the right practice area (see below), it’s attractive to the magic circle and other big UK firms too.

2. COLAs are more likely for Dubai than Singapore. I hear mixed things on whether people can still get them - they’re less of a given than before but a good recruiter should be able to tell you which firms are desperate enough to still offer them. Firms sometimes lose entire practices overnight here as associates are notoriously mercenary, so there’s usually someone who needs warm bodies and is willing to pay for them.

NYC base is only paid by large US firms and magic circle in my experience. A lot of firms have 2 or 3 tier pay structures, with local associates on a separate track until they get promoted to full associate. The general rule in payscales is:

Top 20 US firm —> top 50 US firm / UK Magic Circle or equivalent —> other US/UK firm —> other foreign firm —> local firm

Although as a partner, you can do very well out of local firms (and it can be possible to make partner a lot earlier if you’re willing to get the local qualifications).

3. Corporate (M&A/PE/funds), structured finance / DCM and investigations/FCPA were the main practice areas where you see a lot of US lawyers. Some ECM work but not so much as the system is closer to the UK one. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a pure US-qualified litigator or arbitrator here.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Of course you're fine with Sharia

Post the emails

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Do not post sincere replies to throatwarbler. He is either a troll or evil.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I sincerely want the emails and I insincerely want him keelhauled for the delay, but yeah you pretty much have to be right about that at this point.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hay thread where’s the best place I can make boatloads of money, pay no taxes, and legally own slaves?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My friend, have you heard of seasteading?

Post the emails

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I were single and without kids, I'd probably be looking heavily into doing US IP in China

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's actually fascinating how despite the prominence of US business, it's English law that reigns supreme worldwide (of course, a lot of it is former UK colonies and the fact that US is 50 legal systems).

Unrelated: I quit my litigation job two weeks ago for a phantom chance at a PhD in Europe (PhD is normally a mistake in Europe almost to the same extent as in the US, but "leaving Russia" is a goal that quashes such minute considerations). A week after my announcement on LinkedIn, the biggest Russian firm shoots me up for a position in their international arbitration practice

great now what

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 14, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Alexeythegreat posted:

It's actually fascinating how despite the prominence of US business, it's English law that reigns supreme worldwide.

Unrelated: I quit my litigation job two weeks ago for a phantom chance at a PhD in Europe (PhD is normally a mistake in Europe almost to the same extent as in the US, but "leaving Russia" is a goal that quashes such minute considerations). A week after my announcement on LinkedIn, the biggest Russian firm shoots me up for a position in their international arbitration practice

great now what

take it and then get a transfer to anywhere in the world you actually want to live in

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Yeah. Dubai is gorgeous if you’re rich until you realize it was built by and run on slave labor. Wait. Excuse me. “Indentured servitude.” Singapore isn’t much better. They just aren’t as overt about it. And of course you’re ok with sharia. Of course you are.

In short: what the gently caress is wrong with you?

And yes. Emails.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Adar posted:

take it and then get a transfer to anywhere in the world you actually want to live in

Oh how I wish it worked like that
But I'm Russian-qualified, I wouldn't be able to get a transfer even if I were to work in a Moscow office of a magic circle/biglaw firm

Had that been an option, I would've jumped the chance without a single doubt

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

But I'm Russian-qualified, I wouldn't be able to get a transfer even if I were to work in a Moscow office of a magic circle/biglaw firm

If trump gets a second term you’ll probably be elligible for reciprocity.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hay thread where’s the best place I can make boatloads of money, pay no taxes, and legally own slaves?

The USA.*

*As long as you are already rich or have received a small family loan of [s]one million dollars[/] 8 million dollars adjusted for inflation. Also laws don't apply to you.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Pro tip for working in Dubai: don’t go around asking people about their Jewish faith

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I just get sad reading his posts.

I finally found the bright side to Army/Navy/VA medicine ignoring my torn labrum in my hip. The post-op pain is virtually identical to the pain I've dealt with for 6 and a half years so recovery is going well. I haven't even touched my narcotics and probably won't.

The class action firm is going to try to find me some work I can do remotely until I can actually make it up the stairs to their office, but they still haven't actually proposed any compensation. I'm pretty sure they're going to lowball me.

I've never been to Dubai, but I've spent time in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. I figure it's basically more of the same there. First you have an entire caste of people from SE Asia working as slaves either building things in 115 degree heat or working as delivery drivers for fast food and liquor for the heathens.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hi I like Sharia law, by the way are you A Jew

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I interviewed for a job in Dubai once and one of the questions on the script was whether I was capable of working with women.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I genuinely hope he is real because I love the idea that someone as vapid and casually amoral as throatwarbler is a member of our august profession, and we helped get him there

but sadly no one would post the words "the availability of affordable domestic help in Dubai are big draws, and I'm fine with Shari'a" unless they were trolling

nm posted:

Thoatwarbler is a worse person than SV.
Sorry SV, gotta up your slavery game.

phil moscowitz voted for trump and you have the nerve to imply I'm the worst person in this thread????

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 14, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Hey! Dubai/UAE outlawed outright slavery in 1963.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

Maybe try to work for a US/UK firm in Russia anyway? I can only imagine that this would help your chances of eventually getting out, even if they have no interest in letting you transfer internally.